Page 1222 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 222722112211721212122012211222122312241232127213221722 ... LastLast
Results 24,421 to 24,440 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Vibrant P'Ocean-Dogfish Head and Rodenbach collaboration

Credit-keen eyes and a bit of adventure
    Style-flavored kettle sour and traditional Belgian sour blend
    Format-12 ounce can
    Stemware-large Ommegang tulip, my favorite glassware
    Appearance-raspberry soda; small, fizzy head
    Nose-flowers, lemon juice, berries
    Mouthfeel-less pucker than I anticipated
    Tastes-raspberry lemonade with minimal sweetness; flowers, dry berries; light salt
    Adjuncts-(your father smells of) elderberries, elderflower, lemons, fleur-de-sel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel)
    IBU-12
    ABV-4.7%
    Overall impression-very impressive creation
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 3; a sour for those who won't drink one; highly recommended, especially at <$15 for a 6er (fuse gets 3 of mine)
    The story behind the beer-worth a two minute read:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/vibrant-pocean
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’m sure I’ve reviewed this before, but all the JackieO’s are blurring together. Today’s was Oro Negro. Imperial stout brewed with walnuts and conditioned on spices. 10% abv. It is a variation of their Oil of Aphrodite, infused with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and habaneros. This is an excellent stout, cinnamon up front, heat on the finish. But not too much heat. Not sure what the walnuts do, don’t get them.

Not for everyone, especially if you don’t like heat in your beer, but I enjoy it. Not an everyday beer, strong category 2, cat 3 for me since I enjoy the heat.
    Sounds outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Finally made my way over to Radar Brewing, with colleagues & clients in tow. Right in the thick of where Wise Man and Fiddlin' Fish are located. Pretty nondescript building, and they are working on the interior space, but it already is quite nice and has the potential to be fantastic. Sort of German beer hall style: Some long tables that can accommodate maybe 10 people, some high-top tables that can seat six, etc.

I knew going in (based on reports from others) that (a) there were no flights available (only 12 ounce and 16 ounce pours) and (b) there is no carry-away option yet. Still, they would let you take a taste of about anything you wanted. The food options were limited, though, with just some nut snacks available to purchase.

Had a 12-ouncer of each of the following:

(1) True Currency Saison. Described as "tart, peppery, slightly funky." Good description. It had just a touch of aftertaste bitterness to it, which is often what I find with new breweries. But this was a solid saison. Bright gold. Just the right amount of pucker, pepper, and funk. 5.9% ABV. Easy Cat 2.

(2) Reflection IPA. A "West Coast" style. Brownish gold color. Somewhat more malty than I expected, but as I worked through the glass the hops came through more. 6.9% ABV, and am guessing IBUs in the mid 50's. Okay, but not a standout IPA. Low Cat 2.

(3) Wild Child Farmhouse IPA. Described as "intense, tropical, very funky." It was a really good beer. Very high Cat 2, maybe edging toward Cat 3. 6.9% ABV, and I would put IBUs around the high 40s. This was my favorite of the bunch, and almost tasted like a hybrid of the other two.

Colleagues also had the New Religion Session IPA, the First Aid Belgian Golden, and the Milestone Belgian Dark Strong. I didn't taste any of those, but they were favorably received (although the dark strong looked much lighter in color than I am used to for that style).

Finally, I had a small taste of their Void Imperial Stout. Nice and smooth, almost like it had a little nitro to it. Very good chocolate flavors. I've had some amazing imperial stouts, so this doesn't quite reach Cat 3 level because of the category, but I liked the taste a lot. Solid Cat 2.

This place has some real promise.
    Thanks for the great review! I went to Radar for the Duke at UNCheat game but when I realized they had no TV's I just went to Wise Man next door. So I haven't tasted Radar yet. Looking forward to trying the Wild Child. My stepdad and his friend recently had a great beer drinking experience at Incendiary too.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Yep. I've been to Wise Man, Fiddlin' Fish and Camel City BBQ. Cool little area that reminds me a bit of Asheville. Still need to check out Mary's and Sweet Potatoes.

We are still eyeing a relocation to W-S or Clemmons in the near future
    You definitely need to check out Mary's and Sweet Potatoes. Lemme know when you get to the Dash!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Hardywood Christmas Island 2019

Its hard to choose a favorite as all these Hardywood GBS variants are so good.
    Its easy for me to say the apple brandy barrel variants are not my favorite, and they are still amazing.

Christmas Island is a beer worth savoring.
    I’ll be sad to see the glass empty, and glad to have enjoyed it.
    🍻
    Must be a Hardywood kind of night. Broke out the 2018 Rye Barrel GBS. Smoothed out nicely with aging. 12%. Imperial Milk Stout brewed with ginger (duh) and honey, aged in A. Smith Bowman rye whiskey barrels. Smooth mouth feel, hint of vanilla after the ginger, warming rye spice notes on the finish. Easy cat 3. Label says “best enjoyed on the coldest winter night.” Snowing here in Richmond, so it seemed appropriate to open it tonight.

Followed up the Rye Barrel GBS with dessert, Devildeac knows it - Zaftig BBA Nuts for You. Full bodied dark stout aged in bourbon barrels for six months and “accented with peanut and chocolate.” It’s delicious, like a Reese’s with bourbon. 9% Another Columbus brewery, this is my favorite from them. They also make a non-BBA Nuts for You. This one is cat 3, the regular is cat 2.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is under appreciated.

Maybe nothing special, certainly satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Followed up the Rye Barrel GBS with dessert, Devildeac knows it - Zaftig BBA Nuts for You. Full bodied dark stout aged in bourbon barrels for six months and “accented with peanut and chocolate.” It’s delicious, like a Reese’s with bourbon. 9% Another Columbus brewery, this is my favorite from them. They also make a non-BBA Nuts for You. This one is cat 3, the regular is cat 2.
    Brings a smile to my face and makes me thirsty. Zaftig is an excellent brewery. I'm going to have to bring a couple Dire Stout variants (port barrel aged and BBA in particular) from Wolf's Ridge Brewing to tailgates this year. If they last that long...

Bladow!-Casita Cerveceria

Somewhat local

Credit-my last Christmas can from older daughter and son-in-law
    Format-aluminum pint vessel
    Style-imperial breakfast milk stout
    Glassware-snifter
    Appearance-darn near onyx; last half ounce is sludge
    Nose-pass the cream and sugar!
    Mouthfeel-10W40
    Tastes-espresso, dark chocolate, unrefined molasses; burnt caramel
    Adjuncts-lactose, oats, Dynamite Roasters coffee
    IBU-60ish
    ABV-11.5%; don't drink and drive
    Overall impression-I'll stand by my prior review from (guessing) nearly a couple months ago; might be fatal with a brownie or chocolate chip cookie
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 3; wouldn't hesitate buying another of a similar style to this from this brewery, in fact, I already have

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sam Adams Boston Lager is under appreciated.

Maybe nothing special, certainly satisfying.
    Had one a month or so ago for the first time in years. It's a quality brew, but not one that I am likely to purchase.

Somebody's watch must claim it's five o'clock...

https://www.hopculture.com/night-shi...pa-12-oz-cans/

Interesting read that becomes more so with the note at the bottom of the article indicating the brewery paid to post the article.

Note to RJ199:

One of your gifted/traded barrel-aged sours went quite well about 30 minutes ago with a plate of angel hair, marinara and sauteed peppers and onions.

More later...

I'll be in town tomorrow for the game against VT. Planning to hit up a few breweries as usual, but any recommendations from local forum members on good bottle shops around Durham? Thanks!

Origins-Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project

Quite a way from local

Credit-another trader or gift from RJ199; thanks!!
    Format-corked and caged 750 ml bottle (375 ml tonight and a repeat tomorrow night)
    Style-double barrel aged (oak foedres then wine casks) burgundy sour
    Stemware-Gouden Carolus chalice
    Appearance-ruby amber; thin tan head
    Nose-cherry cider vinegar
    Mouthfeel-acetic; vinous; tart
    Tastes-berries, lemon juice; red zinfandel, cherries, vinegar
    IBU-10 is a good guess
    ABV-6.5%
    Overall impression-a magnificent sour that paired nicely with angel hair pasta, marinara and sauteed peppers and onions
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3; compares nicely with some of the better sours I've ever tasted

Quote Originally Posted by FloorSlapper View Post
    I'll be in town tomorrow for the game against VT. Planning to hit up a few breweries as usual, but any recommendations from local forum members on good bottle shops around Durham? Thanks!
    I live in Raleigh so the best I can do are Sam's Quik Shop, Growler Girlz, Glass Jug Beer Lab. Maybe August West can help out here.

Fullsteam often has a decent selection of 12 and 16 ounce cans for sale on premises, plus they fill growlers. Don't know about Durty Bull and/or Ponysaurus WRT packaged goods.

Thanks for stopping by the thread! Always good to see a new poster. Let us know what you sampled and liked before/after the game.

I live in Raleigh so the best I can do are Sam's Quik Shop, Growler Girlz, Glass Jug Beer Lab. Maybe August West can help out here.

Fullsteam often has a decent selection of 12 and 16 ounce cans for sale on premises, plus they fill growlers. Don't know about Durty Bull and/or Ponysaurus WRT packaged goods.

Thanks for stopping by the thread! Always good to see a new poster. Let us know what you sampled and liked before/after the game.
    Thanks! I visit at least once a year for a game so have enjoyed a lot of Fullsteam & Pony (and probably will again this trip!). Mainly looking for places that carry stuff that doesn't get distributed up in DC as much like Burial, Casita, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FloorSlapper View Post
    Thanks! I visit at least once a year for a game so have enjoyed a lot of Fullsteam & Pony (and probably will again this trip!). Mainly looking for places that carry stuff that doesn't get distributed up in DC as much like Burial, Casita, etc.
    You know a couple true gems if you're looking for Burial and Casita products. Brewery Bhavana (Raleigh) and Haw River Farmhouse Ales (Saxapahaw) are a couple other local breweries whose products you might consider stocking up on while you're shopping. It's a big box store/chain but the Total Wine near our house also has a nice selection of local/NC brews and I'd guess the Durham location would, too. Happy beer-hunting!!

Liquid date nut balls?

You betcha!

More in the AM.

Origins-Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project

Quite a way from local

Credit-another trader or gift from RJ199; thanks!!
    Format-corked and caged 750 ml bottle (375 ml tonight and a repeat tomorrow night)
    Style-double barrel aged (oak foedres then wine casks) burgundy sour
    Stemware-Gouden Carolus chalice
    Appearance-ruby amber; thin tan head
    Nose-cherry cider vinegar
    Mouthfeel-acetic; vinous; tart
    Tastes-berries, lemon juice; red zinfandel, cherries, vinegar
    IBU-10 is a good guess
    ABV-6.5%
    Overall impression-a magnificent sour that paired nicely with angel hair pasta, marinara and sauteed peppers and onions
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3; compares nicely with some of the better sours I've ever tasted
    I'm thrilled you loved this one! I did too. Not easy to pair with pasta.

What should I pair with all this outstanding hot salsa I'm enjoying with blue corn chips? IPA's? I'll tell you that everything I've "paired" so far has worked swimmingly. Allagash White, and then tonight Delirium Tremens (which I still don't believe is made by the same brewery that made Delrium Red Robitussin DM).

(I am forever in debt to the Ymm Beer and Ymm Spicy food threads. I plan to get over to the Ymm Fitness thread in about 7 more years.)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 02-22-2020 at 12:52 AM.