Page 117 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 17671071151161171181191271672176171117 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure it will keep fine, I don't know if it will "age", but I would assume it will if it is not filtered. It will be worth it to do as DD does, and sporadically taste one. 30 days, 60, 90, etc. You'll remember well enough to note if there is any difference. There really is only one ingredient that differentiates a lager from an ale, and that's the yeast. Ale yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast that thrives in temperatures from 65-75 degrees, and lager yeast is a top fermenting yeast that thrives in sub 60 degree temps, even colder than that is better. If you are actually going to "age" a lager, do it an as cool of environment as you possibly can. IF there is any residual yeast in the bottle, than the yeasts will be active and affect the beer. If the brewer has filtered the beer through a lordknowswhat micron screen, then it will make no difference. That applies for both lagers and ales. No yeast, no matter. It won't age.
    Isn't that backwards? Aren't ales top fermented and lagers bottom fermented?

Quote Originally Posted by cl15876 View Post
    As a result of some of the last night's snrub discussion regarding the beer Oz and I had, I stopped off on the way home this evening to pick up a 12 pack and store in the fridge! I know that we have a LONG TIME for Winter, let alone our 1st brunchgate in 2009, but I got worried that this was a seasonal beer, so I bought two 6's, as I remembered the storing and aging comments of the elite here on DBR.

UH OH, now that I am reading closer, one of the Master's has suggested this Lager won't keep well! :-( Any additional thoughts? I have them chill'n right now... I hope, if I MUST drink them so I am not accused of alcohol abuse , that they will be available in the late summer, early fall! If they are in fact seasonal, then maybe Nov 09 will be a rocking brunchgate.

We always have tini's, right?
    You do know we have a tent for all 6 home games, don't you?

Should be some wheat beers and pale ales for the 1st game or two. I'll try to find some high octane summer brews. Duvel and other Belgian golden ales are always nice. Do I see a Chimay with our name on it?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You do know we have a tent for all 6 home games, don't you?

Should be some wheat beers and pale ales for the 1st game or two. I'll try to find some high octane summer brews. Duvel and other Belgian golden ales are always nice. Do I see a Chimay with our name on it?
    Yes, CathyCA told me about it and it looks our schedules will be perfect for most of them if not all! I know the Chimay is one of your favorites and would be honored to share it!!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    Isn't that backwards? Aren't ales top fermented and lagers bottom fermented?
    Yes, thanks for the catch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sam Adams Imperial Stout-wonder what took them so long to brew and release this, especially after they came up with some creations like Triple Bock, Millenium and Utopia. Nearly black as night and with a nice tan-brown head which does linger a bit. Smooth and silky with dark chocolate flavors, hints of chocolate, molasses and licorice. A bit sweeter than the Brooklyn Black and a bit lower ABV at 9.2%. This would also make a nice base for a beer float, or enjoy it at cellar temperature with a brownie, CCC or by itself for your dessert.

I did have a Brewtus of SA Lager tonight which was the best I have ever had.
    Of course it was after the Devils pulled one out of their, never mind... It was also the best of the litter from the bar at Applebee's after a concert and the Devils escaped and someone else was treating.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sam Adams Imperial Stout-wonder what took them so long to brew and release this.
    Make sure you try the other Imperials. I posted my review of the White, but it took me a while to finally get up the gumption to buy the Double Bock. Hope to review that one tomorrow.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Make sure you try the other Imperials. I posted my review of the White, but it took me a while to finally get up the gumption to buy the Double Bock. Hope to review that one tomorrow.
    The Imperial White is "in storage"

Could not find the Double Bock with the other two. I really like that beer in the past but have not seen it anywhere for several years.

Well last night was the first time ever I went out and drank nothing but beer. I'm starting to get the hang of it. First, I had the house ale of the English pub we were at for the game (stayed for the first half until the pitcher special ran out). Went back to the house and had some type of porter which was kinda bitter. Then, after we won, we went to go celebrate among the locals and I had a Blue Moon (with orange). I liked the Blue Moon, it was pretty good.

Yesterday, I also went on a quest to buy some beer. My friend and I Went to one local pharmacy in DC and bought the Sam Adams Brewmaster pack. I then went to another beer store that had over 100 different kinds of beer and got an array of beers (and a Strongbow). The beers included Brooklyn Brown, Bell's Brown and Bell's Red Ale, Shiner Black, Baltika, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and a couple other German and English and Belgian beers that I can't recall.

Also, the night before last, while watching the tournament, I had a Smithwick's, and I thought it was quite smooth. I think beer's finally starting to grow on me.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Also, the night before last, while watching the tournament, I had a Smithwick's, and I thought it was quite smooth. I think beer's finally starting to grow on me.
    Great to hear you're experimenting, it sounds like you've got some great choices to pick through. In fact nothing stood out as anything I'd avoid, and I love the Cherry Wheat. That's what I'm brewing for my next batch, but I've decided it will be a cherry dunkelwiess (dark wheat), only because I have lots of dark grains left over from some recipes that went unused.

Well last night was the first time ever I went out and drank nothing but beer. I'm starting to get the hang of it. First, I had the house ale of the English pub we were at for the game (stayed for the first half until the pitcher special ran out). Went back to the house and had some type of porter which was kinda bitter. Then, after we won, we went to go celebrate among the locals and I had a Blue Moon (with orange). I liked the Blue Moon, it was pretty good.

Yesterday, I also went on a quest to buy some beer. My friend and I Went to one local pharmacy in DC and bought the Sam Adams Brewmaster pack. I then went to another beer store that had over 100 different kinds of beer and got an array of beers (and a Strongbow). The beers included Brooklyn Brown, Bell's Brown and Bell's Red Ale, Shiner Black, Baltika, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and a couple other German and English and Belgian beers that I can't recall.

Sounds to me like the secret to Duke winning it all is dependent on you drinking beer! Enjoy!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Avery Hog Heaven

A pretty nice barleywine. Has the bitter hoppiness of other barleywines but balanced by a sweet malty hints. If you're aiming for the standard barleywine taste then this might not meet your needs but a good overall beer..

I also tried a Weyerbacher Blasphemy which is their quad aged in oak barrels. Cracked open this one after both the game and the bomber of hog heaven so my recall is a bit fuzzy...seemed like a decent quad. I saved half for tonight so I'll hopefully have a better review by tomorrow..

Ah, yes. Another convert.

That's another good way to sample stuff is to buy 12 packs or something like that. Be careful with some of them as sometimes you'll find some common brews or just not very good ones in the pre-packaged stuff. Another good couple of samplers are the Saranac and Magic Hat series.

Great to hear you're experimenting, it sounds like you've got some great choices to pick through. In fact nothing stood out as anything I'd avoid, and I love the Cherry Wheat. That's what I'm brewing for my next batch, but I've decided it will be a cherry dunkelwiess (dark wheat), only because I have lots of dark grains left over from some recipes that went unused.
    CB&B and I don't disagree on much but I don't have much fondness for the SA Cherry Wheat. Tasted like cough syrup to me, but that was a few years ago. I will however be very anxious to taste that cherry dunkelweiss.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    A pretty nice barleywine. Has the bitter hoppiness of other barleywines but balanced by a sweet malty hints. If you're aiming for the standard barleywine taste then this might not meet your needs but a good overall beer..

I also tried a Weyerbacher Blasphemy which is their quad aged in oak barrels. Cracked open this one after both the game and the bomber of hog heaven so my recall is a bit fuzzy...seemed like a decent quad. I saved half for tonight so I'll hopefully have a better review by tomorrow..
    Hog Heaven and Blasphemy on the same night just might do that to your memory.

Big Horn Brewing Company-Indy Blonde-a fairly light and non-descript light-colored ale with a hint of wheat and citrus. Draft. Probably about 5% ABV. Could not bring myself to label this a Ram Brewing Company product so I went with what was on the sampler "mat" from the brewpub from Friday evening.

First of a mini-series/sampler night.

Beer of the Month

As part of a gift for my cousin, we are trying to do a "Beer-of-the-Month" deal. Does anybody who has received this/given this have any recommendations? There are a ton of deals out there.

We are also considering trying to figure out if their local liquor store has anything like this.

All feedback appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    As part of a gift for my cousin, we are trying to do a "Beer-of-the-Month" deal. Does anybody who has received this/given this have any recommendations? There are a ton of deals out there.

We are also considering trying to figure out if their local liquor store has anything like this.

All feedback appreciated!
    My office staff did this for me about 5 years ago and I found it to be a nice thought and gift but the beers that were sent weren't that good and ended up being rather expensive for the selections I received. A program at a local beer/wine store might be better. All those gift-givers could also deliver a mixed 6er for 3-6 consecutive months and your cousin would get to sample a bunch of beers over that period of time.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year" - Cousin Eddie

I can't even wait 30 days to try my own beer. I think they outta just send out 12 beers straight up front!