Page 1162 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 162662106211121152116011611162116311641172121212621662 ... LastLast
Results 23,221 to 23,240 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nightmare on Brett - Crooked Stave - Sour - ABV 9.666%

It pours almost black with half-finger tan head, just like a stout.

The best part of this beer is the aroma which is world class. I smell a beautiful acidic, roasty, balsamic aroma that makes me yearn to taste.

The taste is a little disappointing next to the aroma. Beeradvocate says this beer is world-class, but I definitely disagree. It's a good beer, not world-class. The Cherry and Raspberry Nightmare on Brett's are significantly better.

I will say that the taste is amazingly complex, and more is going on than I can fully appreciate. It's nicely acidic sour and tart, but pretty drinkable. It's not too sour. There are dark fruits there, but I'm not sure what they are. There is some dark chocolate. The bourbon near the finish is subtle, but the best part of the taste. You must let the beer warm to get that (I got it with second glass as this was 750 cc bottle). The finish is pretty dry, but nice enough. The mouthfeel is medium with decent carbonation, but sort of watery at times.

Overall this beer was lacking the wow factor. It's a Category 2, not 3 for me. But the aroma was outstanding, and glad I tried it.

Cheers!
    This was an unfruited version of the raspberry / cherry version you’ve shared with us? If you liked it, would recommende Rodenbach as well as New Belgium Le Terroir.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    In no particular order:

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    (Or any BBA stout)
    Brueprint Scottish style ale (or BA version)
    A marzen/Octoberfest
    A coffee porter or stout

Anything barrel aged or malty should be pretty complementary.

Has me thinking if there is a beer that would be a good foil for pecan pie.

Something hoppy, but not with fruity hops (no Azacca, Mosaic, or Galaxy).

Maybe a Duck Rabbit Black IPA? (Little Hoppy Bunny)
    Well, if it was good enough for fuse today, it's good enough for me, especially when pairing with a small slice of homemade chocolate chip pecan pie:

Imperial Milk Stout-Ardent Craft Ales

Local for one frequent poster on this thread .

Credit-older daughter who "muled," err, lovingly transported several four packs of Ardent Ales last month after she visited Richmond; thanks!!
    Style-d'oh
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-dark chestnut; very small, tan head
    Stemware-Stella snifter from RJ199 so I think of him every time I pour a beverage into this snifter
    Nose-coffee; dark chocolate fudge
    Mouthfeel-a bit harsh
    Tastes-coffee (not added); burnt pumpernickel toast; dark caramel; molasses; dark chocolate fudge; all enhanced as it warmed
    Adjuncts-none
    IBU-32
    ABV-10%
    Overall impression-nicely executed quality brew
    Ymm, Beer rating-middle to high cat 2; I'd imagine some cacao nibs, vanilla or barrel aging would smooth this out a bit

I think fuse wins the pairing for the day with Serendipity and the cranberry-cranberry cake.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Hardywood GBS comes to mind!! Gifted one at my cousin's Xmas dinner get-together today. Still a few taps with GBS around town!!
    I've seen a few GBS taps in Raleigh the last couple years. A few of the specialty Hardywood brews make it to town, too. I think Richmond keeps the world class ones .

Hope you had a merry one!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I've still never tried Hardywood GBS or any of its variants. (When we couldn't fit milk in the fridge due to all the beer, I endeavored to drink it all before buying more. This has taken months.)

But my mentor Devildeac has given me lots of good direction to make sure that changes soon with the GBS!
    LOL at unable to fit milk in the fridge.

Next September, you'll have to log on to the Hardywood web site to buy the 2020 edition of GBS The Complete Set. I even know a guy in Richmond who'll "mule," err, happily transport a set or three to the Triangle area. Or, we can take a DBR road trip the weekend it's released and pick it up ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This was an unfruited version of the raspberry / cherry version you’ve shared with us? If you liked it, would recommende Rodenbach as well as New Belgium Le Terroir.
    Thanks! I definitely need to try the Rodenbach. I loved Le Terroir.

Well played with the Serendipity and Cranberry Cake!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    LOL at unable to fit milk in the fridge.

Next September, you'll have to log on to the Hardywood web site to buy the 2020 edition of GBS The Complete Set. I even know a guy in Richmond who'll "mule," err, happily transport a set or three to the Triangle area. Or, we can take a DBR road trip the weekend it's released and pick it up ourselves...
    Thanks! I'm in. For all of the above.

Quite the haul for Christmas gifts today:

5 different Prairie Bomb variant singles
    3 different Casita Cerveceria four packs
    2 Wolf's Ridge bombers
    1 BBA Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Mama done a good job raising those young'ins over the years.

And now for something completely different. Except several of you have had the Veil Tefnut, the earlier version was apricot and passion fruit. This one is a triple fruited gose. Cabernet and merlot grapes, strawberries, blueberries and apples all turned into Tefnut Sangria. Smooth, creamy, fruity, a hint of sour but well balanced and dangerous at 11%. Pushes the boundaries of what is a beer, but delicious as most Veil offerings are.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    And now for something completely different. Except several of you have had the Veil Tefnut, the earlier version was apricot and passion fruit. This one is a triple fruited gose. Cabernet and merlot grapes, strawberries, blueberries and apples all turned into Tefnut Sangria. Smooth, creamy, fruity, a hint of sour but well balanced and dangerous at 11%. Pushes the boundaries of what is a beer, but delicious as most Veil offerings are.
    Sounds like an outrageous wine smoothie .

Quite the haul for Christmas gifts today:

5 different Prairie Bomb variant singles
    3 different Casita Cerveceria four packs
    2 Wolf's Ridge bombers
    1 BBA Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Mama done a good job raising those young'ins over the years.

Clearly your children think you’re the (Prairie) bomb! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Would definitely try this. I’ll bring a magnifying glass so I can read the can 😂

Klean Belgiez and Old Belgiez from Veil. Their Belgian quad with wild flower honey. The Klean is 8.5%, a bit of malt I didn’t expect in a quad, hint of sweetness from the honey, a smooth finish with a bit of caramel. The Old version is Buffalo Trace BBA. It’s 10% and you get the bourbon on the nose, dried fruit, raisin and caramel. Side by side the Klean is like the lighter version. But as all would expect I really enjoyed the BBA version, so much so I bought two bottles for aging. For a brewery known for IPAs, Veil has some awesome BBA brews.

Black Strap Molasses Porter
    Waikiki Brewing Company

This is an extremely interesting brew. ABV 6.5
    IBU 37

It has garnered quite a few awards, the latest being Gold at 2019 Denver International Beer Competition.
    I don’t know how to post the picture but the head was perfect and the entire pour quite nice as well.

It begins with a strong coffee and a deep richness from the chocolate notes. Definitely not too sweet yet full from the Two Row, crystal and Munich malts.

What I find unique is the Goldings and Fuggle hops that create an earthy taste with just a hint of bitterness that compliments the chocolate and molasses.

Amazingly, the finish is dry. I’ll probably stroll the three blocks this afternoon to revisit it. The first craft brewery on the island deserves a visit when you decide to come. I’m too much of a neophyte to rate it on the Fuse Scale. Hopefully, you’ll have something with which to look forward, if the misuse of prepositions is something up with which you can not put.
    Last edited by TeacherTom; 12-26-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    Waikiki Brewing Company

IBU 37

It has garnered quite a few awards, the latest being Gold at 2019 Denver International Beer Competition.
    I don’t know how to post the picture but the head was perfect and the entire pour quite nice as well.

It begins with a strong coffee and a deep richness from the chocolate notes. Definitely not too sweet yet full from the Two Row, crystal and Munich malts.

What I find unique is the Goldings and Fuggle hops that create an earthy taste with just a hint of bitterness that compliments the chocolate and molasses.

Amazingly, the finish is dry. I’ll probably stroll the three blocks this afternoon to revisit it. The first craft brewery on the island deserves a visit when you decide to come. I’m too much of a neophyte to rate it on the Fuse Scale. Hopefully, you’ll have something with which to look forward, if the misuse of prepositions is something up with which you can not put.
    Great review! Wonder if Tripping William had the above brew as one of his tastings this year when he visited...

LOL about the prepositions.

Celebrating my aunt's 60th this evening at the new Burning Blush brewery in Mills River. May or may not report back tonight.

Yeah, yeah, Upstate SC reviews from 2 years ago ����

Great review! Wonder if Tripping William had the above brew as one of his tastings this year when he visited...

LOL about the prepositions.
    TW did not visit the brewery as I Messaged him yesterday to ask before Jen and I walked down there. He did suggest Kona which we will frequent this afternoon as I have committed to sitting on the beach watching for whales this morning. Five hours earlier here than there.

Waikiki Brewing Company

IBU 37

Your review evokes memories of Theakston’s Old Peculier, which I don’t know if it is brewed anymore or not.

It’s “secret” ingredient was black treacle, which is supposedy similar to molasses.

Reads tasty! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Celebrating my aunt's 60th this evening at the new Burning Blush brewery in Mills River. May or may not report back tonight.

Sounds like fun; with a 12/20 open date you are getting fresh beer 😀

Looking at their website, order I’d taste in:

Helles
    Vienna Lager
    ESB
    Oat Pale Ale
    Juicy IPA

all the while avoiding the Baltic Porter 🙄

That’s a pretty fun list of beer to try.
    Have a great time and a fun birthday celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

So you're saying there's a chance...

TW did not visit the brewery as I Messaged him yesterday to ask before Jen and I walked down there. He did suggest Kona which we will frequent this afternoon as I have committed to sitting on the beach watching for whales this morning. Five hours earlier here than there.
    No problem. We're here 24/7/365. Have a great time!