Page 1155 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 155655105511051145115311541155115611571165120512551655 ... LastLast
Results 23,081 to 23,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I think you're both right. Tripping William gave me a bomber of Dead & Berried which I reviewed as an amazing Category 3 beer. I loved every sip, and it was like chocolate covered subtle blackberries in an outstanding stout.

Then earlier this week when we got home from Vegas we had dinner at Foothills. I ordered Dead & Berried on draft. It was awful and tough for me to finish. There was definitely a dog food flavor, taste, aftertaste, and smell. Something went wrong with it on draft, because it was totally different and Much, much better out of the bottle. I usually like draft better, so not sure what happened here.

Mattman, if you can find a bomber bottle of it, try it again. You'll see the difference.
    Never had D&B on draft. And may never, with this description.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Photon Sphere-Olde Hickory Brewery

Text message session from last week:

devildeac to son of devildeac: "Is this beer really worth $22 for a 4 pack?"

son of devildeac: "Yep. I think it's awesome!"

Annnnnnd, into the shopping cart it went...

Credit-above
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Style-BBA flavored imperial stout
    Bottling date-05/30/19
    Stemware-snifter, of course
    Appearance-dark, dark brown; moderately frothy, tan head
    Nose-dark chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla
    Mouthfeel-slick
    Tastes-in sync with the aromas, plus molasses (not added), coffee (not added), bourbon and ending with a bit of heat (added-see below)
    Adjuncts-honey, cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa and habanero peppers ()
    IBU-probably about 50; lots of heavily roasted grains here
    ABV-11.91% ()
    Overall impression-I'm coming around; the heat is mild and only apparent as the beer warms at the end of the last few sips
    Ymm, Beer rating-I'm sliding this into cat 3; I think Tripping William and RJ199 would rate higher and fuse a bit lower; I have 3 left if there's any interest...
    I'm interested in trying any beer you rate Category 3. This definitely sounds fun. My beer shenanigans and travel will definitely be limited until at least March, but ya never know. And my Bhavana membership will hopefully get me to Raleigh eventually with some fun traders...

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Another JackieO’s- Black Maple. Imperial porter brewed with maple syrup and aged in bourbon barrels. The porter has “nutty notes, a touch of smoked malt, a melange of crystal malts, and a rich chocolate backbone.” Then locally (Athens, Ohio) harvested maple syrup was added to the kettle. The whole batch then BBA for 10 months. You get the maple up front, and a smooth chocolate finish, all under the bourbon note. This is a little lighter than a stout, guessing that’s the porter. 11% abv., dangerously drinkable. Another hit from JackieO’s. Cat. 3 easy.
    A trip to this brewery is definitely a must.

Igor Cake not quite as good after a month in captivity. A bit more roasty and a bit less fruity. Still, another wonderful Fullsteam offering. Hope fuse enjoys his.
    I had one last night. I really enjoyed it, but I was thinking "I left this in fridge too long. This was probably better fresher." It was supposed to taste like black forest cake, but I couldn't really taste/smell the cherries or fruit. There was a bit of metallic aroma right out of the can, but that got much better in my glass.

I smelled and tasted a nice, dark chocolate base and high quality stout. Lots of oak, roast, and some malt. Beergoddess could taste more coffee than me, but she of course thought it was bitter. Category 2.

Thanks Devildeac! I've got another one that I'm going to be more patient with to let warm some. Looking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You should consider shipping some Frost Berries to NC 😁
    Seconded

In Roanoke and probably making a Barrel Chest run. They usually have good-to-great Hardywood and Deshutes selection. Am taking requests....

I think you're both right. Tripping William gave me a bomber of Dead & Berried which I reviewed as an amazing Category 3 beer. I loved every sip, and it was like chocolate covered subtle blackberries in an outstanding stout.

Then earlier this week when we got home from Vegas we had dinner at Foothills. I ordered Dead & Berried on draft. It was awful and tough for me to finish. There was definitely a dog food flavor, taste, aftertaste, and smell. Something went wrong with it on draft, because it was totally different and Much, much better out of the bottle. I usually like draft better, so not sure what happened here.

Mattman, if you can find a bomber bottle of it, try it again. You'll see the difference.
    That sounds like a bad keg and/or dirty draft line. I'd have sent that one back with your server for a refund or replacement.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm interested in trying any beer you rate Category 3. This definitely sounds fun. My beer shenanigans and travel will definitely be limited until at least March, but ya never know. And my Bhavana membership will hopefully get me to Raleigh eventually with some fun traders...
    "...You know my name
    Look up the number..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Never had D&B on draft. And may never, with this description.
    See my response to RJ199 below your post and above this one.

I had one last night. I really enjoyed it, but I was thinking "I left this in fridge too long. This was probably better fresher." It was supposed to taste like black forest cake, but I couldn't really taste/smell the cherries or fruit. There was a bit of metallic aroma right out of the can, but that got much better in my glass.

I smelled and tasted a nice, dark chocolate base and high quality stout. Lots of oak, roast, and some malt. Beergoddess could taste more coffee than me, but she of course thought it was bitter. Category 2.

Thanks Devildeac! I've got another one that I'm going to be more patient with to let warm some. Looking forward.
    You're welcome, as always.

In Roanoke and probably making a Barrel Chest run. They usually have good-to-great Hardywood and Deshutes selection. Am taking requests...
    A kind offer but I'll pass this time as accfanfrom1970 is delivering the 2019 GBS Complete Set next Saturday and our son showed up with a treasure trove of traders and rumored Christmas gifts yesterday. Plus, I got Black Butte Porter XXV, XXVI, XXVIII and XXIX a couple months ago at Total Wine for about $13 each. I guess, maybe if they had a XXVII, I'd take it, giving me a straight flush, right RJ199?

A kind offer but I'll pass this time as accfanfrom1970 is delivering the 2019 GBS Complete Set next Saturday and our son showed up with a treasure trove of traders and rumored Christmas gifts yesterday. Plus, I got Black Butte Porter XXV, XXVI, XXVIII and XXIX a couple months ago at Total Wine for about $13 each. I guess, maybe if they had a XXVII, I'd take it, giving me a straight flush, right RJ199?
    Good call, because I saw no Hardywood or Deshutes bottles (but did have GBS on draft). Snagged a few Founders KBS, though.

Yep - you need the XXVII. 4 to a straight flush is like a parlay that misses by 1. Or like a beer that gets dead and buried rather than Dead & Berried.

The waiter at Foothills was very astute btw. I didn't say a word and was trying to finish the beer. But he noticed I was struggling with it and brought me a free Moravian Porter. That one was great. Category 2, light, and some Christmas spice flavor. I still love Foothills.

Good call, because I saw no Hardywood or Deshutes bottles (but did have GBS on draft). Snagged a few Founders KBS, though.
    An excellent acquisition. Fuse reviewed the 2017 upthread recently and I had a one also within the last couple weeks. Letting my 2019s mature for a year or so...

Yep - you need the XXVII. 4 to a straight flush is like a parlay that misses by 1. Or like a beer that gets dead and buried rather than Dead & Berried.

The waiter at Foothills was very astute btw. I didn't say a word and was trying to finish the beer. But he noticed I was struggling with it and brought me a free Moravian Porter. That one was great. Category 2, light, and some Christmas spice flavor. I still love Foothills.
    That is astute. If there had been multiple complaints, they should have kicked that keg on their dime. If yours was first, your server did a great job. Then they should have the manager and/or bartender taste, verify your complaint and fix the problem, if possible, and/or shut that keg down.

Too late for the Holiday Ales virtual pub, but still ....

The Bruery 12 Drummers Drumming. A Belgian dark strong ale. Every bit of “strong” at 12%ABV. Pours a somewhat cloudy brown color. Lots of dark fruit, a hint of leather, and a bit of holiday spice. On the sweet’ish side. High Cat 2, edging toward Cat 3. Good on a cloudy/chilly December afternoon.

Too late for the Holiday Ales virtual pub, but still ...

The Bruery 12 Drummers Drumming. A Belgian dark strong ale. Every bit of “strong” at 12%ABV. Pours a somewhat cloudy brown color. Lots of dark fruit, a hint of leather, and a bit of holiday spice. On the sweet’ish side. High Cat 2, edging toward Cat 3. Good on a cloudy/chilly December afternoon.
    I started the 12 Days with Bruery with Two Turtledoves and lost track maybe around Nine Lords a Leapin. All were excellent although Five Golden Rings was probably my favorite of what I tried.

2017 Mother Earth Silent Night

Heady bourbon nose.

One of the things I appreciate about Mother Earth Silent Night is it takes a lot of complex flavours and manages to balance them elegantly.

Sweet molasses yields to caramel and vanilla notes of bourbon.
    The bourbon gives way to strong coffee, and finishes with a dry oak astringency.

A lot of coffee stouts don’t tame the harshness of concentrated coffee, which Silent Night simply does better.

There’s a reason this is perhaps my favorite beer, and without a doubt my favorite beer of the season.

Cheers! 🍻

Ardent Dark Rye

Not sure I can identify the nose.

Starts sweet, finishes quite dry and with a lingering rye grain flavour.

Reading prior reviews I was quite concerned I’d take one sip and pour the rest as rye is definitely not my thing.

Surprisingly pleasant if a bit strong.
    I wouldn’t necessarily buy more, I am glad I tried it with an open mind.

Cheers! 🍻

Too late for the Holiday Ales virtual pub, but still ...

Almost slipped this into the cart a couple weeks ago but Visa limit had been exceeded...