Page 1150 of 1270 FirstFirst ... 15065010501100114011481149115011511152116012001250 ... LastLast
Results 22,981 to 23,000 of 25388

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #22981
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Everybody drink one for Wofford !
    If I drink one for Wofford, will it count or have an asterisk beside it? 🤣

  2. #22982
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Wrong holiday but boo!!!! You absolutely can rate everything from Haw River highly (not that you have to...).

    Fullsteam did a “Fruitcake...the beer” a few years ago. I don’t like fruitcake, and yet the Fullsteam beer was outstanding. I’d keep an eye out for this beer except the fridge is already overflowing with great beer with GBS 2019 to come.
    I could help you out a bit with that fridge.

    Maybe as soon as tomorrow...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #22983
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If I drink one for Wofford, will it count or have an asterisk beside it? 🤣
    If it's one of these, it counts double:

    https://thirstydog.com/portfolio-ite...-of-christmas/
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #22984
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    3rd on the holiday list - Winter - from Juneau’s Alaskan Brewery by way of sister in Columbus.

    Ale brewed with spruce tips. 6.4% abv. This is a nice clean ale, not heavily spiced, and you get the spruce or pine on the finish. Like most Alaskan Brewery beers this is worth a 6er to have and share. Solid cat 2.
    Ah, spruce tips. Some of you may have heard this story live. When I was home brewing, Anchor’s Our Special Ale was unique every year, and that year the special ingredient was spruce. I took it upon myself to try to brew a spruce beer for the subsequent Christmas. The spruce extract I purchased from the homebrew store said 1 tablespoon per gallon, or the whole bottle for a 5 gallon batch.

    The resultant undrinkable batch of beer smelled like Pine Sol, and never having tasted Pine Sol, tasted how I imagined Pine Sol might taste.

    I had brewed 48 22oz bombers of this beer, and every month for a few months I cracked open a new bottle, same result.

    I ended up pouring out all but six bottles. Every year for 3 years I cracked open a new bottle. Never changed, so I eventually poured the last 3 out.

    I did brew some good beer; my Christmas spruce amber was NOT one of them. 🤣🤣🤣

  5. #22985
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I thought about buying this but couldn't find a 4 pack or even a single in the 11.2 ounce size, only the 25.4 ounce large format.
    I found 4 packs of Delirium Noel; the Glass Jug only had Gouden Carolus and St Bernardus in 750ml, with no Scaldis Noel to be found.

    I should have gone to Beer Dispensary.

  6. #22986
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ah, spruce tips. Some of you may have heard this story live. When I was home brewing, Anchor’s Our Special Ale was unique every year, and that year the special ingredient was spruce. I took it upon myself to try to brew a spruce beer for the subsequent Christmas. The spruce extract I purchased from the homebrew store said 1 tablespoon per gallon, or the whole bottle for a 5 gallon batch.

    The resultant undrinkable batch of beer smelled like Pine Sol, and never having tasted Pine Sol, tasted how I imagined Pine Sol might taste.

    I had brewed 48 22oz bombers of this beer, and every month for a few months I cracked open a new bottle, same result.

    I ended up pouring out all but six bottles. Every year for 3 years I cracked open a new bottle. Never changed, so I eventually poured the last 3 out.

    I did brew some good beer; my Christmas spruce amber was NOT one of them. 🤣🤣🤣
    You didn't save one for me.

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #22987
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I found 4 packs of Delirium Noel; the Glass Jug only had Gouden Carolus and St Bernardus in 750ml, with no Scaldis Noel to be found.

    I should have gone to Beer Dispensary.
    The only Belgian Christmas beers I found were 750 ml bottles of the Delirium Noel and 4 packs of Corsendonk's Christmas Ale, which I should have bought but the cart was expensively filled already.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  8. #22988
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem

    12/15/19 Virtual Pub Holiday Ales

    2019 Highland Cold Mountain

    I never quite got all the hype (although, to be charitable, I never quite get the hype for anything ... including Sexual Chocolate). To me, this is a solid Cat 2 beer. I like the dark copper color, the long-lingering head and the mix of spices (from vanilla to cinnamon, among others). And I buy some every year. But for me it’s not, “OMG, gimme more of *that*!” level. Good beer this time of year. But not cult-worthy.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  9. #22989
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    2019 Highland Cold Mountain

    I never quite got all the hype (although, to be charitable, I never quite get the hype for anything ... including Sexual Chocolate). To me, this is a solid Cat 2 beer. I like the dark copper color, the long-lingering head and the mix of spices (from vanilla to cinnamon, among others). And I buy some every year. But for me it’s not, “OMG, gimme more of *that*!” level. Good beer this time of year. But not cult-worthy.
    I wish they'd bottle/can some of the brewery only variants which I've heard are often superb.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  10. #22990
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You didn't save one for me.

    Lucky for you, this story pre dates our friendship.
    Just a guess, circa 1996-1998.

  11. #22991
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Lucky for you, this story pre dates our friendship.
    Just a guess, circa 1996-1998.
    I consider myself fortunate then.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  12. #22992
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    2019 Highland Cold Mountain

    I never quite got all the hype (although, to be charitable, I never quite get the hype for anything ... including Sexual Chocolate). To me, this is a solid Cat 2 beer. I like the dark copper color, the long-lingering head and the mix of spices (from vanilla to cinnamon, among others). And I buy some every year. But for me it’s not, “OMG, gimme more of *that*!” level. Good beer this time of year. But not cult-worthy.
    There have been years (none recently) where the bottled stuff was just, wow!

    I hear on draft at the release party the variants are incredible, can’t say directly.

    I agree the shine is off for me with respect to Cold Mountain.

  13. #22993
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    From Wednesday evening:

    Javanog-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

    From a nearby zipcode

    Credit-knowledge, adventure and being nowhere near my credit limit this month
    Format-pint can
    Style-really? java? nog? holiday season? (it's listed on the label as a coffee cream stout
    Appearance-dark, dark brown; the java triumphs over the nog
    Nose-coffee; cream; spices
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-as the nose goes; nutmeg; milk chocolate; rum (it is rum barrel aged); vanilla; cream
    Adjuncts-lactose, nutmeg, vanilla beans and coffee beans; no eggs were harmed in brewing this ale
    IBU-48 (higher than perceived)
    ABV-7.2% (lower than perceived; this has a pretty stiff punch)
    Overall impression-Santa would highly approve and likely want more than one
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 3; worth seeking; a great concoction to sip with family and friends this season

    I guess I've returned to rating (almost) all Haw River brews as cat 3 and I enjoyed Javafruitcake as much as I enjoyed this one and should've given that a 3, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  14. #22994
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I wish they'd bottle/can some of the brewery only variants which I've heard are often superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    There have been years (none recently) where the bottled stuff was just, wow!

    I hear on draft at the release party the variants are incredible, can’t say directly.

    I agree the shine is off for me with respect to Cold Mountain.
    Two posters can't be wrong...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #22995
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I consider myself fortunate then.
    I would not have offered you (or anyone) this beer. Yecchh, Beer doesn’t even begin to describe it.

  16. #22996
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From Wednesday evening:

    Javanog-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

    From a nearby zipcode

    Credit-knowledge, adventure and being nowhere near my credit limit this month
    Format-pint can
    Style-really? java? nog? holiday season? (it's listed on the label as a coffee cream stout
    Appearance-dark, dark brown; the java triumphs over the nog
    Nose-coffee; cream; spices
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-as the nose goes; nutmeg; milk chocolate; rum (it is rum barrel aged); vanilla; cream
    Adjuncts-lactose, nutmeg, vanilla beans and coffee beans; no eggs were harmed in brewing this ale
    IBU-48 (higher than perceived)
    ABV-7.2% (lower than perceived; this has a pretty stiff punch)
    Overall impression-Santa would highly approve and likely want more than one
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 3; worth seeking; a great concoction to sip with family and friends this season

    I guess I've returned to rating (almost) all Haw River brews as cat 3 and I enjoyed Javafruitcake as much as I enjoyed this one and should've given that a 3, too.
    Coffee cream stout sounds good; beer nog, less so.

  17. #22997
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Two posters can't be wrong...

    Even if they are, say, Wheat and SingingNCU??
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  18. #22998
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Coffee cream stout sounds good; beer nog, less so.
    Trust me, this was really, really good. If it had poured thick, creamy and beige, I might have had serious reservations.

    I have 3 cans left...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  19. #22999
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Even if they are, say, Wheat and SingingNCU??
    Well, upon further review...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  20. #23000
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Even if they are, say, Wheat and SingingNCU??
    Somehow in addition to missing what AOTK abbreviated, I can’t ever recall seeing a poster by the name of SingingNCU... 🤔

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •