Page 1132 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 132632103210821122113011311132113311341142118212321632 ... LastLast
Results 22,621 to 22,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I also had some great beers last weekend thanks to devildeac and fuse traders.

Passion of the Heights - Florida Avenue Brewing - 4.7 % - Wheat Ale with Hibiscus, Rose hips, Citrus Zest, and a hint of Cinnamon.

This beer had the best hibiscus flavor and aroma I've had. I was impressed. Beergoddess agreed.

Up Close and Personal with Robin Leach - Trophy Brewing - 6.1 % - NEIPA

It's a crowded field, but this one was outstanding. Hazy, tropical, juicy, hoppy, malty. Strong Fuse Category 2 for me. Loved it - thanks!

Sun Hands - Haw River - 10% ABV - Belgian Strong Golden Ale.

Haw River is so good.

The pour looks just like honey with nice white head. It's a hoppy Belgian with a light honey finish. It's very easy to drink and refreshing for being a big beer. High Fuse Category 2.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    If it's anything like the DFH 120 Minute IPA, I can see why.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head - 18% -

Spoiler Alert - I think I rated this a 5 on Untappd. Boozy as hell, in such a good way, and I absolutely loved this beer. Fuse Category 3. Thank you so much to whoever gave me this! Devildeac I think?

It's not a complex beer, but it's balanced perfectly. It's thoroughly enjoyable start to finish. It's malty, citrus, light hops, and earthy. The finish is extremely long and oh so satisfying.

Wow beer. Must try.
    You're welcome as I *think* this was part of a trader package in September or July. It's available in VA, IIRC, so it could have been from one of your family members who made the brewery crawl in Richmond a few months ago. Tripping William will get a couple of these on Monday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I also had some great beers last weekend thanks to devildeac and fuse traders.

Passion of the Heights - Florida Avenue Brewing - 4.7 % - Wheat Ale with Hibiscus, Rose hips, Citrus Zest, and a hint of Cinnamon.

This beer had the best hibiscus flavor and aroma I've had. I was impressed. Beergoddess agreed.

Up Close and Personal with Robin Leach - Trophy Brewing - 6.1 % - NEIPA

It's a crowded field, but this one was outstanding. Hazy, tropical, juicy, hoppy, malty. Strong Fuse Category 2 for me. Loved it - thanks!

Sun Hands - Haw River - 10% ABV - Belgian Strong Golden Ale.

Haw River is so good.

The pour looks just like honey with nice white head. It's a hoppy Belgian with a light honey finish. It's very easy to drink and refreshing for being a big beer. High Fuse Category 2.

Thanks!
    Fuse traded me a couple/three of the Passion of the Heights this summer/fall and I was happy to pass one on to you. The Trophy brew and the Haw River Sun Hands were from 4 packs from me from a early fall purchase. Fuse and I sampled three Trophy NEIPAs during a meet up a few months ago and this one was the best of the group. The other two were almost indistinguishable. Very happy you liked them all.

From dinner/Duke-Georgetown/post-game last PM during a devildeac1&2 beer sampling:

Odd Job-Rheingeist Brewing Company

Drink Ohio!

I'd have sworn I sampled this a couple years ago but searching here and in my other archives yielded no results .

Credit-son of devildeac; thanks!
    Style-IIPA
    Format-12 ounce can
    Canned on-10/01/19
    Appearance-clear/clean; yellow bronze with a foamy head
    Aromas-orange, grapefruit, pine
    Mouthfeel-pleasantly bitter (see below)
    Tastes-grapefruit and orange juices; light resin; rind; light caramel
    IBU-95 (no typo )
    ABV-8.5%
    Overall impression-high quality stuff in that quite crowded field
    Ymm, Beer rating-high fuse cat 2; I hope one is included in my departing "gift" package tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Allagash Coolship Balaton
    Bottled 1/3/2019

Open air fermented, aged for up to 2 years.
    Near the end of aging, 2 pounds per gallon of balaton cherries are added.

Looks like cherry juice, almost like a beautiful light pinot noir.

Funky barnyard nose.

Wooo- this is a dirty, tart, funky beer.
    There is a brief initial burst of cherry juice, which disappears into a funky stew that ends in a dry woody note with a little cherry on top.

Hard to believe a 2 year old beer might be “young”, balaton is a little hot.
    I could see aging it for a year.
    I’m glad I opened it- incredibly enjoyable.

Cheers! 🍻
    Coolship Balaton-Allagash BrewingCompany

Drink local what someone else brought you!

Credit-fuse, from his summer vacation; many. many thanks!!
    Format-corked and caged 375 ml bottle, an unusual presentation
    Appearance-purified/clarified cherry juice; small, quickly disappearing head
    Nose-cherry apple vinegar; red zinfandel
    Mouthfeel-War Heads sour cherry
    Tastes-sour/tart cherries; vinegar; wet wood;
    Overall impression-superb spontaneously coolship fermented ale in oak wine barrels
    Ymm, Beer rating-top shelf fuse cat 3

It's hard to really express how appreciative I am/was to receive 4 Allagash coolship ales this summer. Son of devildeac also highly approved and we both sent our humble thanks.

From 10/17/18 and reposted for emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Way overdue review:

NeverNeverSorrySorry-The Veil Brewing

Credit-accfanfrom1970; an excellent selection in the recent Richmond delivery; huge thanks
    Format-pint can
    Dates and other numbers-10/01/19; 12:27:22 (must have been bought a day or two after canning
    Style-quadruple double fruit gose (IOW, a beer smoothie )
    Appearance-Attachment 9855
    Nose-berries, berries and some more berries with a pinch of salt
    Mouthfeel-did I mention smoothie?
    Tastes-raspberries, blueberries, raspberries, blueberries; few grains of salt and spice
    IBU-you can't be serious
    ABV-5.1%
    Adjuncts-double apricots, double black currants (I must admit I didn't really taste either); double blueberries and double raspberries
    Overall impression-Veil knocks another one out of the park; a brilliant beer both in color and execution
    Ymm, Beer rating-easily cat 3; our son didn't like the other Veil gose delivered in July so I might cart this to Ohio next month to give him a second chance
    Never, Never, Sorry, Sorry-The Veil Brewing

^^^^

Our son liked this much better than the first double fruited gose he got in July. Much, much better. Still amazed this is "beer."

Search review for Odd Job last PM yielded nothing about this beer. Search review for "pick your own" yielded this review ot of 80+ with the word "pick" in it.
    Mind-bogglingly bad search feature.
    Oddjob (11/08/18 stamped on bottom of can)-Rheingeist Brewery

Received as traders from our son in Ohio, consumed in NC.

Aggressive pouring from a 12 ounce can into a (boring) standard pint glass gave rise to a voluminous, slightly off-white head. Ahh, fresh oranges and grapefruits greet my olfactory lobe. Tropicana (or Dole) tropical juice blend coats the tongue with the bitterness of grapefruit and orange rinds, the sweetness of mango, pineapple and peach purees, a drizzle of honey and the oils of fresh hops and a bit of pine/resin. IBUs claimed as 96 (I'd have guessed 70 something) with the ABV at 8.3%. Very well-balanced but if I were to pick a nit (why not, it's still DBR), I'd like the ABV a bit higher for this DIPA style. Three remain for sharing and/or trading. Another outstanding, limited Rheingeist release.
    From dinner/Duke-Georgetown/post-game last PM during a devildeac1&2 beer sampling:

Odd Job-Rheingeist Brewing Company

Drink Ohio!

I'd have sworn I sampled this a couple years ago but searching here and in my other archives yielded no results .

Credit-son of devildeac; thanks!
    Style-IIPA
    Format-12 ounce can
    Canned on-10/01/19
    Appearance-clear/clean; yellow bronze with a foamy head
    Aromas-orange, grapefruit, pine
    Mouthfeel-pleasantly bitter (see below)
    Tastes-grapefruit and orange juices; light resin; rind; light caramel
    IBU-95 (no typo )
    ABV-8.5%
    Overall impression-high quality stuff in that quite crowded field
    Ymm, Beer rating-high fuse cat 2; I hope one is included in my departing "gift" package tomorrow

Leaving Foothills.

Had a flight of 5. Three Craft Happiness IPAs, all solid. BBA coffee infused Sexual Chocolate and Dead and Berried.

The Sexual Chocolate was amazing as usual, and even better with the subtle coffee notes. One of the best BBA stouts I have had in a long time.

My wife and I agreed that the Dead and Berried originally smelled like dry dog food. Still an excellent somewhat tart imperial stout. Very interesting.

Foothills never disappoints. Definitely a top 5 NC brewery IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Leaving Foothills.

Had a flight of 5. Three Craft Happiness IPAs, all solid. BBA coffee infused Sexual Chocolate and Dead and Berried.

The Sexual Chocolate was amazing as usual, and even better with the subtle coffee notes. One of the best BBA stouts I have had in a long time.

My wife and I agreed that the Dead and Berried originally smelled like dry dog food. Still an excellent somewhat tart imperial stout. Very interesting.

Foothills never disappoints. Definitely a top 5 NC brewery IMHO.
    Top five is a difficult topic.
    NC Beer Guild says over 300 NC breweries.

In no particular order:
    Brewery Bhavana
    Bond Brothers
    Haw River
    Fullsteam
    Lost Province

If I did an honourary mentions, that list would be huge, and likely start with Mother Earth.

Allagash Pick Your Own

Cracking the first of four Allagash Coolship bottles.

Bottled 12/20/2018.

Sour red ale aged in oak foedres for two years(!!!) and then fresh raspberries, cherries, strawberries and blueberries aged for three more months.

Perhaps some berry seeds made it into the bottle.

Shared across 2 glasses, the first pour is bright red and clear.
    Second is a deeper translucent burgundy/ruby.

Nose is berries and vinegar.
    Super, super tart when cold.
    Definitely needs to warm up.

(Returning after a 15 minute interlude...)

Lots of raspberry tart (no, not New Glarus) and some cherry in the body. I am sure blueberry and strawberry support the flavour and present more directly than my palate picks up.

Some wine/vinous elements in the finish, sour and oaky.

An amazing beer. Truly a world class beer from Allagash. Wish Allagash distributed their coolship beer in NC!
    Pick Your Own-Allagash Brewing Company

Not much to add to fuse's outstanding review. Our son liked this a bit better due to all the fruit flavors where I think I preferred the "simplicity" of the cherry Coolship Balaton, but not by much. RJ199 would like the mixed fruit flavors better, I think, because he might believe he was eating a tart fruit Ymm, Pie he had won.

In no particular order:
    Brewery Bhavana
    Bond Brothers
    Haw River
    Fullsteam
    Lost Province

If I did an honourary mentions, that list would be huge, and likely start with Mother Earth.
    I'd slide Burial in there as a tie with one of your selections.

12 Dogs of Christmas Barrel Aged-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Local!!

Credit-son of devildeac; thanks!!
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-dark amber; clear; small, light tan head
    Nose-spiced caramel, bourbon filled candy
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-caramel; butterscotch, mulling spices, warming bourbon and toasted wheat bread
    Adjuncts-honey, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and "Santa's secret recipe"
    IBU-17
    ABV-10.4%; warming but not a booze bomb
    Overall impression-a large step up from the already good recipe of 12 Dogs of Christmas
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 3; worth seeking a 4 pack, even if it is north of $20

In no particular order:
    Brewery Bhavana
    Bond Brothers
    Haw River
    Fullsteam
    Lost Province

Agree that settling on a Top 5 is hard. But I have opined before, and stand by it: Foothills has NC’s best portfolio of dark beers.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

In no particular order:
    Brewery Bhavana
    Bond Brothers
    Haw River
    Fullsteam
    Lost Province

I'd slide Burial in there. Actually, I'd put them at #1. Brewery Bhavana was great from the very limited amount I had at a beer festival. Lost Province and Full Steam definitely in my top 10. Trying to recall what I have had from Haw River.

I love Foothills because their year round flagship offerings are all excellent, and the BBA Sexual Chocolate is one of the best beers in the state.

Long story short, we are incredibly blessed to live in such a great beer state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Agree that settling on a Top 5 is hard. But I have opined before, and stand by it: Foothills has NC’s best portfolio of dark beers.
    I don’t have the benefit of your experience with Foothills. Wonder how similar styles from Duck Rabbit would stack up.

I'd slide Burial in there. Actually, I'd put them at #1. Brewery Bhavana was great from the very limited amount I had at a beer festival. Lost Province and Full Steam definitely in my top 10. Trying to recall what I have had from Haw River.

I love Foothills because their year round flagship offerings are all excellent, and the BBA Sexual Chocolate is one of the best beers in the state.

As you and devildeac both pointed out, Burial belongs in the conversation for sure.

I don’t have the benefit of your experience with Foothills. Wonder how similar styles from Duck Rabbit would stack up.
    Here is what Duck Rabbit must compete against:

Regular Sexual Chocolate
    BBA Sexual Chocolate
    Regular People’s Porter
    BBA People’s Porter
    Moravian Porter
    Cherry People’s Porter
    Dead & Berried

And, of course, Foothills should get as much credit as Duck Rabbit for its role in Olde Rabbit’s Foot (which may be better than all of these).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It had to happen eventually... 😁

2018 Hardywood Gingerbread stout

Why not start with the original?

Smells like ginger ale and christmas cookie spice.

Friggin Christmas in a bottle? You bet!

Never had the original before, only barrel aged.

I just love the way Hardywood’s stouts dance on your tongue.

Such a honeyed start, which transitions to a whole host of spices before ending on a nice ginger note. Surprisingly dry finish.

Guessing it may be a small format Hardywood GBS kinda night...

🍻

Has anyone else heard sketchy insider scoop about Burial's business dealings? Being impossible to work for and misleading numbers to the city to reduce waste fees?

Doesn't change the damn good beer. Just curious if it was legit scuttle or a disgruntled former employee.

Hardywood 2018 Caliente GBS

Approaching this one with a bit of trepidation despite assurances from accfanfrom1970 and devildeac.

Slightly less sweet nose, still the Christmas spices and a whiff of heat lurking.

More Christmas spice forward, a very brief splash of sugar cookie sweetness ahead of a pleasantly heated finish.

The heat is somewhat difficult to describe.
    Definitely lingers, and is neither uncomfortable nor overpowering.
    A low grade heat that prickles the tongue entirely differently than the cookie spices.

I am not a fan of peppers in beer.
    This may be the best done pepper beer I have ever had.

Hardywood is a master of beer akin to a symphony.
    How they weave all the notes of flavour together in harmony is true edible art.

This won’t be my favorite Hardywood beer. It does serve as an amazing anchor for how truly brilliant Hardywood brewers are at their craft.

Amazing! 🍻