Page 1129 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 129629102910791119112711281129113011311139117912291629 ... LastLast
Results 22,561 to 22,580 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Any suggestions (besides Shiner Bock)?
    Two words: Jester King

Copied and pasted:

"VISIT THE TASTING ROOM
    THUR 4-10 | FRI 4-10
    SAT 12-10 | SUN 12-9
    13187 FITZHUGH RD
    AUSTIN, TX 78736"

I've had precious few of their beers and then, only as collaborations, IIRC, but they've been excellent. I think RJ199 said Stella carries some of their ales-maybe make a visit there for some advice. From all I've read, this place should be a "don't miss."

Edit: I see fuse beat me to it by about a minute. My post still stands.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Two words: Jester King

Copied and pasted:

"VISIT THE TASTING ROOM
    THUR 4-10 | FRI 4-10
    SAT 12-10 | SUN 12-9
    13187 FITZHUGH RD
    AUSTIN, TX 78736"

I've had precious few of their beers and then, only as collaborations, IIRC, but they've been excellent. I think RJ199 said Stella carries some of their ales-maybe make a visit there for some advice. From all I've read, this place should be a "don't miss."
    Will try to pay a visit and report. Many thanks.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Some more help:

https://beerandbrewing.com/best-in-b...brews-it-best/

"Favorite Sour or Wild Ale Brewer
    1. Jester King (2)
    2. Crooked Stave (4)
    3. Cantillon (1)
    4. Jolly Pumpkin (3)
    5. Side Project (10)
    6. Russian River (7)
    7. Wicked Weed (5)
    8. Cascade (6)
    9. The Bruery Terreux (11)
    10. The Rare Barrel (8)
    11. New Belgium (9)
    12. Allagash (12)
    13. 3 Fonteinen (19)
    14. Casey Brewing & Blending (17)
    15. Dogfish Head ( + )
    16. de Garde (13)
    17. Upland ( + )
    18. Lindemanns ( + )
    19. Hudson Valley ( + )
    20. New Glarus (15)"

Boom Sauce-Lord Hobo Brewing Company (Woburn, MA)

From last PM

Not even close to local.

Credit-beer #4 from my November beer club 4 pack
    Format-1/8 gallon can
    Canned on-09/18/19 11:24:41
    Style-IIPA; New England style beer
    Appearance-goldish bronze; foamy head
    Nose-lotsa pine/resin; some grapefruit
    Mouthfeel-bitter
    Tastes-(on can) tropical, juicy, smooth; in reality, not really any of the aforementioned; West Coast style IIPA
    IBU-70 to 80 probably; this is pretty bitter, even for my palate
    ABV-7.8%, barely over the IPA/IIPA border
    Overall impression-pretty average DIPA in that crowded field; not as soapy/piney as Slippery Slope but wouldn't revisit
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 2, lower tier

Court Jester-Castleburg Brewery

Local if you're in Richmond

Credit-nyesq83 from the ND tailgate; thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-porter
    Appearance-mahogany; voluminous tan head
    Nose-milk chocolate and coffee (neither added)
    Mouthfeel-slightly thick, creamy; smooth
    Tastes-classic porter stuff here with cocoa, java; molasses, earthy hops
    IBU-40 maybe?
    ABV-5.7%
    Overall impression-I'd put this on a table with some of the other standard porters I've had and this would fare well
    Ymm, Beer rating-top tier cat 2; would taste again and try other products from Castleburg

It'd be great to hear from accfanfrom1970, duketaylor and/or nyesq83 to learn what they think/know about this brewery

Community Mosaic IPA (Dallas, TX)

As devildeac sometimes says, “Drink quasi-local.” This looked the most intriguing of what was on tap at the sports bar next to the Marriott property at which I am staying in Austin. A darker IPA, almost copper. No citrus to this at all. Much more malty and resiny. IBU’s at 85 (higher than I typically drink), and ABV north of 8%. You gotta be a super-duper hop-head to love this beer. Cat 2; good to do once.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Court Jester-Castleburg Brewery

Local if you're in Richmond:
    Ymm, Beer rating-top tier cat 2; would taste again and try other products from Castleburg

It'd be great to hear from accfanfrom1970, duketaylor and/or nyesq83 to learn what they think/know about this brewery
    Been a couple of times. Not in walking distance of the rest of Scott’s Addition breweries. Nice space, they serve food and wine as well. Never had a bad beer there, and they have great names with a castle theme. Only A Flesh Wound currently on tap along with The Six Fingered Man. My favorite, You Killed My Father, Prepare to DIPA.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Been a couple of times. Not in walking distance of the rest of Scott’s Addition breweries. Nice space, they serve food and wine as well. Never had a bad beer there, and they have great names with a castle theme. Only A Flesh Wound currently on tap along with The Six Fingered Man. My favorite, You Killed My Father, Prepare to DIPA.
    Great beer names. PR/marketing folks deserve raises.

Sharing only because you could have bought the Hardywood GBS set, or this 99 pack of PBR 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/...ibbon-99-pack/

Alrighty, some quick notes from my recent beer adventures.

Spent a little over a week on the big island in Hawaii.

Kona Brewing Company:
    From what I could tell, this was a relatively new space. Located about a mile outside of downtown Kona. If I'm not mistaken, Kona is part of the Craft Brew Alliance, so essentially InBev. The venue felt new. Nice shaded patio, dimly lit interior. Stuck to liquids, so I can't comment on the food. Everything was a fair price, though. Beers:

Mac Nut Vanilla Imperial Lager - India Pale Lager - 9.3% ABV - Definitely finishes dry on the tongue. Smooth, slightly sweet, and the vanilla comes through.

Lemongrass Luau - Blonde Ale - 5% ABV - Ginger came through more than anything else. Lemongrass was subtle, but present. Refreshing.

Koko Brown Ale - 5.5% ABV - Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this one is distributed as heavily as their core beers, but I hadn't seen it before. Probably my favorite of the lot. Pleasant sweetness with just the right amount of coconut.

Ola Brew:
    Not sure if I was at their original location, but the space was brand new. Modern and open. Ola seems to produce just as many ciders as they do beer. Unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to sample more than one, because we were in a rush.

Dragonfruit Lime Saison - 7.2% ABV - Light and fruity. Who could have guessed?? Refreshing and hits on the less sour side of the saison variety.

Big Island Brewhaus:
    Big Island is located on the northern portion of the island in Waimea. Swung in and grabbed dinner and some drinks after spending the day at the beach.

Golden Sabbath - Belgian Strong Ale - 8.5% ABV - Believe this had previously won a few medals at the GABF. Has a nice honey taste to it. Also think I got notes of apricot? Can't say that happens too often.

Coconut Creme Ale - 5.1% ABV - I was excited for this one because coconut seems like it would be a natural partner for a cream ale, but I was a little disappointed. Didn't really get any coconut after it, but had a pleasant creaminess to it.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sharing only because you could have bought the Hardywood GBS set, or this 99 pack of PBR ����������
    https://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/...ibbon-99-pack/
    LOLOL.

I'm happy with my GBS 2019 Complete Set.

99 cans of beer in the box, 99 cans of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Alrighty, some quick notes from my recent beer adventures.

Spent a little over a week on the big island in Hawaii.

Kona Brewing Company:
    From what I could tell, this was a relatively new space. Located about a mile outside of downtown Kona. If I'm not mistaken, Kona is part of the Craft Brew Alliance, so essentially InBev. The venue felt new. Nice shaded patio, dimly lit interior. Stuck to liquids, so I can't comment on the food. Everything was a fair price, though. Beers:

Mac Nut Vanilla Imperial Lager - India Pale Lager - 9.3% ABV - Definitely finishes dry on the tongue. Smooth, slightly sweet, and the vanilla comes through.

Lemongrass Luau - Blonde Ale - 5% ABV - Ginger came through more than anything else. Lemongrass was subtle, but present. Refreshing.

Koko Brown Ale - 5.5% ABV - Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this one is distributed as heavily as their core beers, but I hadn't seen it before. Probably my favorite of the lot. Pleasant sweetness with just the right amount of coconut.

Ola Brew:
    Not sure if I was at their original location, but the space was brand new. Modern and open. Ola seems to produce just as many ciders as they do beer. Unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to sample more than one, because we were in a rush.

Dragonfruit Lime Saison - 7.2% ABV - Light and fruity. Who could have guessed?? Refreshing and hits on the less sour side of the saison variety.

Big Island Brewhaus:
    Big Island is located on the northern portion of the island in Waimea. Swung in and grabbed dinner and some drinks after spending the day at the beach.

Golden Sabbath - Belgian Strong Ale - 8.5% ABV - Believe this had previously won a few medals at the GABF. Has a nice honey taste to it. Also think I got notes of apricot? Can't say that happens too often.

Coconut Creme Ale - 5.1% ABV - I was excited for this one because coconut seems like it would be a natural partner for a cream ale, but I was a little disappointed. Didn't really get any coconut after it, but had a pleasant creaminess to it.
    Thanks for the follow-up. I always enjoy reading about beers from vastly different zip codes than the ones in which I live or surrounding areas.

ABV - northeastern craft breweries collective -- breaking into cider business via acquisition of Bold Rock: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisfu.../#2a6c112f5c95

Bold Rock was started by a Duke graduate: https://boldrock.com/blog/hard-cider...k-leading-way/

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    ABV - northeastern craft breweries collective -- breaking into cider business via acquisition of Bold Rock: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisfu.../#2a6c112f5c95

Bold Rock was started by a Duke graduate: https://boldrock.com/blog/hard-cider...k-leading-way/
    This *may* have been the lone cider on tap when we stopped at Blue Mountain Brewery several years ago on a mini-Civil War vacation we took. Nice find.

The Illest-New Anthem Beer Project (Wilmington, NC)

Darn near local!

Credit-one of the Bottle Rev employees suggested this as I picked up my October beer club 4 pack last month
    Format-pint can
    Style-double espresso imperial porter
    Appearance-dark, dark brown with a creamy beige head
    Nose-pass the cream and sugar, please!
    Mouthfeel-smooth; mildly viscous
    Tastes-lots and lots of coffee then milk chocolate, brown sugar, molasses and herbal hops
    IBU-maybe 40
    ABV-8.5%
    Grains-pale malt (); oats; dark malts (there ya go!); C55 (maybe this? http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Pro...l.htm#Ccrystal)
    Adjuncts-lactose (thereby really making this an imperial milk porter ); whole bean espresso
    Overall rating-I think they had 2 cans left but I'd buy a 4 pack of this in about 2 seconds
    Ymm, Beer rating-easily slides into the low cat 3 tier; would be nice with a couple brownies or chocolate chip cookies; or some pancakes

Hardywood Raspberry Stout

Absolutely glorious coffee coloured head.

Inky black.

Smells like coffee and raspberry jam.

A chocolate and raspberry dessert in a glass.
    There’s a hint of roasty coffee mid palate hidden in the waves of chocolate and raspberry.

I can only imagine what this might be like bourbon barrel aged.

Another outstanding beer from Hardywood. 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Wow! I'm not a huge cider fan, but I really like Bold Rock. Their Mills River, NC facility is about 10 minutes away from my home.

They are also one of my company's clients. I went there on a tour for work a couple of months ago and the HR Manager bragged about how they were the largest (or second largest) independent cider maker in the USA.

I might still have one BBA Raspberry Stout left.

Absolutely glorious coffee coloured head.

Inky black.

Smells like coffee and raspberry jam.

A chocolate and raspberry dessert in a glass.
    There’s a hint of roasty coffee mid palate hidden in the waves of chocolate and raspberry.

About 3X more expensive, IIRC.

24.gif

Hop Commander-Captain Lawrence Brewing Company

Uh-oh, another IPA !

Credit-1st beer from my November Beer club 4 pack
    Format-3/4 pint can
    Canned-10152019 1208 MPN 1361
    Appearance-light bronze with a foamy, off-white head
    Nose-grapefruit and pine dankness
    Mouthfeel-mild/moderate bitterness
    Tastes-grapefruit, orange rind, light pine bitterness
    Hops-Bravo, Centennial & Citra (yay!)
    IBU-65
    ABV-6.5%
    Overall impression-good product from a good brewery in a large crowd
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid 2; I like the brewery and this was solid