Page 1121 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1216211021107111111119112011211122112311311171122116212121 ... LastLast
Results 22,401 to 22,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ardent makes their standard Honey Ginger without barrel-aging which I don't think I've ever sampled or delivered to anyone in NC. They also make a BBA version which is superb. I *think* the standard version is 7.8% ABV and the BBA version is around 11.5% ABV and I'm thinking I delivered the BBA version to you with a huuuuge assist from accfanfrom1970.

Yes. They have the non-BBA honey ginger year round. It’s their flagship beer. The BBA version is seasonal. How much BBA is dependent on barrel availability. They sold out in a couple days in 2018. They had a lot this year and went to the smaller bottles that are identical except for a small printed BBA above the regular label.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Bought one today at work (Publix) which is in the fridge to be sampled another eve. I'm still trying to get down to a fball or hoops game soon. Veil and the other breweries mentioned upthread are 15 minutes from my abode. Should I score tix and make a trip I'll grab some to bring.
    Calling for a chance of a few snowflakes here Tuesday, should be interesting day.
    Long time, no post. Welcome back.

Football tix should be reeeeaaal easy to get and cheap, even showing up on game day. I suspect the Syracuse game will be poorly attended due to our less than stellar showing vs ND (understatement: amirite, Bob? ). Pretty much the same vs Miami, maybe worse, given it's the Saturday game after Thanksgiving. I'm on call 11/16 but we'll return from Thanksgiving in the NC mountains on 11/30, even if it's a nooner.

Enjoy that GBS and maybe one or two more.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Tun Tavern - Philadelphia

Honored as the birthplace of the Marine Corps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_Tavern

"According to tradition, Tun Tavern was where the United States Marines held their first recruitment drive. On November 10, 1775, the Second Continental Congress commissioned the innkeeper and former Quaker Samuel Nicholas to raise two battalions of Marines in Philadelphia. The tavern’s manager, Robert Mullan, was the "chief Marine Recruiter". Though legend places its first recruiting post at Tun Tavern, the historian Edwin Simmons surmises that it was more likely the Conestoga Waggon [sic], a tavern owned by the Nicholas family. The first Continental Marine company was composed of one hundred Rhode Islanders commanded by Captain Nicholas. Each year on November 10, U.S. Marines worldwide toast the memory of this colonial inn as the officially-acknowledged birthplace of their service branch."

'tun' meaning a large cask

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Honored as the birthplace of the Marine Corps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_Tavern

"According to tradition, Tun Tavern was where the United States Marines held their first recruitment drive. On November 10, 1775, the Second Continental Congress commissioned the innkeeper and former Quaker Samuel Nicholas to raise two battalions of Marines in Philadelphia. The tavern’s manager, Robert Mullan, was the "chief Marine Recruiter". Though legend places its first recruiting post at Tun Tavern, the historian Edwin Simmons surmises that it was more likely the Conestoga Waggon [sic], a tavern owned by the Nicholas family. The first Continental Marine company was composed of one hundred Rhode Islanders commanded by Captain Nicholas. Each year on November 10, U.S. Marines worldwide toast the memory of this colonial inn as the officially-acknowledged birthplace of their service branch."

'tun' meaning a large cask
    Great to know!

"...Two pints o’ Sam Adams, but I’m workin’ on three, uh!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    It was great to meet some of the DBR gang and likewise put faces to noms. Dan left me with more than I can drink in short order so may have to come by the Syracuse and/or Miami game(s) with some in tow, although he advised that I try to drink the IPAs soon since the hops are so fresh. I will do my best.

As much as Dan gets the points for supply, I live just up the road and am more likely than he is to attend from RVA. His "consolation" is that he has the Veil there but I think Durm has some pretty darn good options these days, too. Might have to score a BCB&B quart can.
    Great to meet you. I'm working on Saturday so I'll not be attending the Syracuse game but we will be at the miami tussle. RJ199 and the Beergoddess will be there and accfanfrom1970 will also attend so introduce yourself to them, our chefs, August West (who you likely met on Saturday), Ozzie and some of the other regulars and irregulars alike . They'll be thirsty and should recognize you easily when you show up with waaaaaay more beer than one person could possibly drink at a single tailgate.

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company Wulver Wee Heavy Ale. Aged in bourbon barrels. Special malts add hints of vanilla and caramel, with the bourbon flavor that makes it. A great example of the style, 22 ibu’s, 12% abv. Really a good beer from little old Akron OH. This was a gift so no idea of the $$$, but a beer I would drink again and again, and bring to the tailgating for others.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Thirsty Dog Brewing Company Wulver Wee Heavy Ale. Aged in bourbon barrels. Special malts add hints of vanilla and caramel, with the bourbon flavor that makes it. A great example of the style, 22 ibu’s, 12% abv. Really a good beer from little old Akron OH. This was a gift so no idea of the $$$, but a beer I would drink again and again, and bring to the tailgating for others.
    That is indeed an excellent ale. They're about $7 a piece as is the BBA Siberian Night RIS variant from the same brewery.

Had a couple stouts last PM that I'm going to stockpile/cellar/age/store for accfanfrom1970 as he hosts Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub Stout Day this Saturday. Will have a couple or four more later this week. One might call that crazietalk...

Got invited to the Canes game last night.
    8-2 🤯🥳😁

Did not take advantage of the opportunity to try R&D Storm Brew, although I saw a ton of cans.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Got invited to the Canes game last night.
    8-2 🤯🥳😁

Did not take advantage of the opportunity to try R&D Storm Brew, although I saw a ton of cans.
    Now I know the rest of the story why I had a free Chick-Fil-A sammich show up on my app last PM.

Casita Cerveceria Reserved Parking DIPA

Another from my Friday afternoon Stella run. Here's what's on the can:

"The Imagination Station is a science museum located in our town of Wilson. It offers kids a lot of fun and interactive exhibits. A few months ago we took part in a fundraiser for the museum by raffling off the chance to come and take part in a Casita Brewday. A local couple won the raffle and came out this month to brew the beer with us. Since they happen to be hop heads we decided to a DIPA and load it up with a mix of Citra, Mosaic, Motueka, and Enigma hops. The name and label of the beer is a homage to their favorite drinking establishment. This beer is dedicated to the regulars who come to your shop so often, they may as well have reserved parking."
    Pours a very hazy gold color, small'ish off-white head. Lots of citrus and some dank on the nose. Carries over to the palate, where I get a lot of super-ripe pineapple flavors. The citrus is very well balanced against the hops, and it's dangerously quaffable for an 8% ABV beer. I'd guess IBUs in the mid to high 50's. A very solid offering in a crowded field. Very high Cat 2, at minimum. Maybe Cat 3.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Pours a very hazy gold color, small'ish off-white head. Lots of citrus and some dank on the nose. Carries over to the palate, where I get a lot of super-ripe pineapple flavors. The citrus is very well balanced against the hops, and it's dangerously quaffable for an 8% ABV beer. I'd guess IBUs in the mid to high 50's. A very solid offering in a crowded field. Very high Cat 2, at minimum. Maybe Cat 3.
    I think I've seen this but didn't purchase due to other inhabitants in the shopping cart already and an overflowing supply at home. This review changes my mind. Bottle Rev or Falls Village Wine and Beer will have a visitor this evening or tomorrow afternoon. Very impressive selections from Casita Cerveceria; mostly one-offs but I got a 4 pack last month of a return brew from 2018, Querido Y Perdido, which is an outstanding chocolate imperial stout with some vanilla, cinnamon and a warm finish from the chilies. I'm convinced that some sort of cooking/mulling spices takes a lot of the "heat" away when peppers are included in the brew.

I think I've seen this but didn't purchase due to other inhabitants in the shopping cart already and an overflowing supply at home. This review changes my mind. Bottle Rev or Falls Village Wine and Beer will have a visitor this evening or tomorrow afternoon. Very impressive selections from Casita Cerveceria; mostly one-offs but I got a 4 pack last month of a return brew from 2018, Querido Y Perdido, which is an outstanding chocolate imperial stout with some vanilla, cinnamon and a warm finish from the chilies. I'm convinced that some sort of cooking/mulling spices takes a lot of the "heat" away when peppers are included in the brew.
    I knew Reserved Parking sounded familiar. From yesterday's draft list at Bottle Rev:

"Reserved Parking NE IIPA

8% ABV Casita Cervecería Fountain, NC"

It is indeed time to pick up my November beer club 4 pack after work today...

I knew Reserved Parking sounded familiar. From yesterday's draft list at Bottle Rev:

"Reserved Parking NE IIPA

8% ABV Casita Cervecería Fountain, NC"

It is indeed time to pick up my November beer club 4 pack after work today...
    I think you'll like it. Hopefully a lot.

I think you'll like it. Hopefully a lot.
    Not many CC beers I've had and not thought top shelf cat 2 or clearly cat 3. The brewer's education/travel in Europe and with Hill Farmstead in VT was time/training very, very well spent.

May bring the stovepipe of Oskar Blues Jahvanilla to the Duke/Wake football game. Anyone here going? Planning would be a lot easier if we knew a kickoff time..

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    May bring the stovepipe of Oskar Blues Jahvanilla to the Duke/Wake football game. Anyone here going? Planning would be a lot easier if we knew a kickoff time..
    We'll be in Columbus, OH, celebrating a birthday and watching tOSU/PSU. Might check with CB&B and see if any others of the TB'CC will be there as they've been several times in the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    We'll be in Columbus, OH, celebrating a birthday and watching tOSU/PSU. Might check with CB&B and see if any others of the TB'CC will be there as they've been several times in the recent past.
    I'm a definite maybe. It will depend, in part, on kickoff time.

I'm a definite maybe. It will depend, in part, on kickoff time.
    Always the Wise Guy, or should that be Wise Man?

Ommegang Brewery Double Barrel Dubbel. Belgian style dubbel ale brewed with spices and aged in brandy and bourbon barrels. 10% abv. The brandy tempers the bourbon, a bit sweeter and less boozy than most straight bba beers. Hint of fig, maybe raisin, a bit of vanilla. Solid cat 2. Not in the JackieO’s league or most of the Hardywood BBA offerings. Spolied by it coming on the heels of Ardents BBA honey ginger. All of which are cat 3.