Page 1120 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1206201020107011101118111911201121112211301170122016202120 ... LastLast
Results 22,381 to 22,400 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

And thank you DBR for nobody taking me up on my pie bet offer for a Dewey's Moravian sugar cake with me taking Duke +7.5 points. I'm going to direct that money toward a Foothills People's Moravian Porter later this month.

Hopefully one day they'll make another Cherry People's Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Dead & Berried 2019 - Foothills - 10.5 % ABV

The pour is jet black with a thin, tan film. This beer is very complex and amazing. I've never had an imperial stout like it. It's bourbon barrel-aged forward with oak, and a dark chocolate base along with molasses & malt running through. But the lightly tart blackberry pops out, and compliments everything so perfectly that it tastes like a dark-chocolate covered blackberry out of a Valentine's candy box. Beergoddess liked it too. Her review is that it tasted similar to the dark-chocolate cherry ganache pie I won if that pie was a beer. But this beer is balanced, not sweet IMO. There are other dark fruit notes and some light vanilla. The mouthfeel is full and viscous, but more lightly carbonated which works here to let you taste everything going on. The finish lasts a while and still has that dark-chocolate, very slight good coffee, and barrel flavor. Your mouth is still happy and smiling 30 minutes after finishing. If you like a good BBA imperial stout, dark chocolate, and blackberries, you will love this beer. Foothills just killed it with this one.

Thanks to Tripping William! Strong Fuse Category 3 for me. The dark chocolate covered blackberries in an outstanding and complex perfectly balanced BBA stout. (I haven't tried the earlier versions.) I was drinking this with the football game on the radio. Maybe that's why I wasn't as upset about the game as everybody else.
    Glad you enjoyed! Stella and the Foothills pub on 4th still carrying it, FWIW.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The tailgate beers yesterday were far, far better than the product on the gridiron. Our first drive:

Our Special Ale/Christmas Ale-Anchor Brewing Company, aka Sapporo Brewing

Credit-dpslaw; great choice/thanks!!
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-dark brown with a creamy tan head
    Nose-toffee/caramel; milk chocolate; legal herbs
    Mouthfeel-slightly viscous
    Tastes-mirror the aromas; maybe some spruce/pine/fir
    IBU-maybe 30
    ABV-6.9%
    Malt-top secret
    Hops-top secret
    Dry hops-top secret
    Overall impression-a classic winter ale, perhaps a US original as this is year 45 for its brewing
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 3; haven't had one in several years after a decade or more of purchases; should be on everyone's top 50ish beer list
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Glad you enjoyed! Stella and the Foothills pub on 4th still carrying it, FWIW.
    I saw a bottle shop called Stella in the Ardmore neighborhood recently. Is this the place you are talking about?

Our second drive:

Gingerbread Stout-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

The original!

Credit-August West; many thanks!!
    Format-500 ml bottle, new in 2018 and this year
    Appearance-dark brown; creamy mocha head
    Nose-as expected with ginger, vanilla, dark chocolate and cookies
    Mouthfeel-smooooth
    Tastes-chocolate covered gingerbread cookies, vanilla, dark honey/caramel/brown sugar
    Adjuncts-ginger, honey, vanilla, cinnamon; no chocolate was harmed producing this imperial stout
    IBU-40s?
    ABV-9.2%
    Overall impression-world class; "like freagin' Christmas in a bottle" quoted from beeradvocate early in its production
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3 designation here; find a bottle for about $7 and buy it today; hell, buy a case!!

Two possessions, two TDs. No fumbles, INT, penalties, punts or bubble screens.

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    If anyone is interested, I will bring some beers from The Veil and The Answer to the pregame Saturday. Is the True Blue Brew Crew still tailgating? I will drop by w IPAs and Stouts to share.
    Dan McGurn '83
    An amazing quantity and quality of brews dropped off at tailgate yesterday, far more than any of us had room for after your arrival so August West and I divided the treasures and will sip ourselves and/or share with the attendees at the Syracuse and miami games on 11/16 and 11/30, respectively.

On your next visit/s (and there had better be one or more!), we'd be delighted to see you 2-3 hours before KO and share some fine ales and stories with you. You can even bring that rascal, jwillfan, with you (). Great to put two more DBR names/faces/personalities on our radar.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I saw a bottle shop called Stella in the Ardmore neighborhood recently. Is this the place you are talking about?
    Precisely. On Hawthorne Street
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Third drive of the afternoon/evening:

Yub Nub-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Local (if you live in Columbus, OH)!

Credit-son of devildeac who gifted this to me for my birthday this summer; thanks, son, yo' Mama raised you well!
    Format-bomber
    Bottled on-04/19/19; released on 05/04/19; yep, May the 4th be with you!
    Style-coffee infused imperial stout with cinnamon
    Appearance-almost inky black with a foamy, mocha head
    Nose-iced and spiced java, and not the cheap stuff
    Mouthfeel-viscous
    Tastes-cups and cups of iced, cinnamon coffee with accompanying dark chocolate and molasses (neither added)
    Adjuncts-above
    IBU-60ish
    ABV-10.8%
    Overall impression-another wonderful iteration from their Dire Wolf series
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 3; I'd have the original any time along with any of the variants; Port barrel and Canis Mexicanus await holiday tastings with family

Three possessions, 3 TDs; again without mental and/or physical errors.

And, in the clean-up spot (mixing FB and BB jargon ):

CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) 2019-Founders Brewing Company, aka Mahou San Miguel Group

Credit-August West who almost always seems to bring better beer than I do to tailgates ; mountains of thanks!!
    Style-take KBS and throw it into bourbon barrels whose prior resident was maple syrup
    Format-12 ounce bottle, first time ever IIRC
    Apperance-almost black with a moderate beige head
    Aromas-coffee, dark chocolate, maple syrup and bourbon
    Mouthfeel-silky
    Tastes-pretty much as anticipated from the scents; the coffee and chocolate are primary and the booze and syrup are a bit more subdued
    IBU-60ish
    ABV-11.3%
    Overall impression-holy schnitzengiggles; world class
    Ymm, Beer rating-top shelf cat 3; totally worth the $20-24 you'd spend for a quartet of these; buy 2 so you can age/trade/share

We're 4/4 here on our drives. A nearly flawless performance at the tent so far.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Our second drive:

Gingerbread Stout-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

The original!

Overall impression-world class; "like freagin' Christmas in a bottle" quoted from beeradvocate early in its production
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3 designation here; find a bottle for about $7 and buy it today; hell, buy a case.
    Having just bought a case the Friday it came out, at least at the West Creek Hardywood, you get a price break buying by the case. Saved $14, less than $6 a bottle.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 11-10-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Having just bought a case the Friday it came out, at least at the West Creek Hardywood, you get a price break buying by the case. Saved $14, less than $6 a bottle.
    I think I got several last year for our son at a local bottle shop for $6.49/500 ml bottle.

Our fifth possession:

Even More Coco Jesus-Evil Twin Brewing Company

Credit-uh_no; many thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-flavored RIS and BBA
    Appearance-dark, dark brown (I think as it was well after sunset when we sipped this); creamy and generously foamy tan head
    Aromas-dark chocolate, bourbon and maple syrup
    Mouthfeel-cream; silky
    Tastes-rich, dark chocolate; maple syrup; bourbon, good bourbon; molasses; burnt caramel; toasted coconut
    Adjuncts-maple syrup and coconut
    IBU-75 (Untappd); I'd have never guessed that high
    ABV-12% (stunning)
    Overall impression-a great choice to follow CBS and about a quarter step short in quality; an outstanding elixir
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3; worth seeking out and sharing a pint or keeping it all to yourself for 60-90 minutes

f25f4fedfaebde3bfc39273e72c11f57_c_828377046_640x640.jpg

Another TD. We've now scored big on 5 straight possessions; no east-west passing here.

An amazing quantity and quality of brews dropped off at tailgate yesterday, far more than any of us had room for after your arrival so August West and I divided the treasures and will sip ourselves and/or share with the attendees at the Syracuse and miami games on 11/16 and 11/30, respectively.

On your next visit/s (and there had better be one or more!), we'd be delighted to see you 2-3 hours before KO and share some fine ales and stories with you. You can even bring that rascal, jwillfan, with you (). Great to put two more DBR names/faces/personalities on our radar.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    It was great to meet some of the DBR gang and likewise put faces to noms. Dan left me with more than I can drink in short order so may have to come by the Syracuse and/or Miami game(s) with some in tow, although he advised that I try to drink the IPAs soon since the hops are so fresh. I will do my best.

As much as Dan gets the points for supply, I live just up the road and am more likely than he is to attend from RVA. His "consolation" is that he has the Veil there but I think Durm has some pretty darn good options these days, too. Might have to score a BCB&B quart can.

Our fifth possession:

Even More Coco Jesus-Evil Twin Brewing Company

Credit-uh_no; many thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-flavored RIS and BBA
    Appearance-dark, dark brown (I think as it was well after sunset when we sipped this); creamy and generously foamy tan head
    Aromas-dark chocolate, bourbon and maple syrup
    Mouthfeel-cream; silky
    Tastes-rich, dark chocolate; maple syrup; bourbon, good bourbon; molasses; burnt caramel; toasted coconut
    Adjuncts-maple syrup and coconut
    IBU-75 (Untappd); I'd have never guessed that high
    ABV-12% (stunning)
    Overall impression-a great choice to follow CBS and about a quarter step short in quality; an outstanding elixir
    Ymm, Beer rating-easy cat 3; worth seeking out and sharing a pint or keeping it all to yourself for 60-90 minutes

f25f4fedfaebde3bfc39273e72c11f57_c_828377046_640x640.jpg

Another TD. We've now scored big on 5 straight possessions; no east-west passing here.
    Funny story about this one:

When uh_no pulled this out of his beer bag, the inside of his carrier was wet and the can appeared to have a pinhole with a tiny jet escaping under pressure so it was opened properly with the tab and quickly poured into a pint glass.

Now, a question for the gang:

If this aluminum container couldn't hold its contents, would it be referred to as incantinent?

(I'll show myself out. )

Bourbon Barrel Stout-Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Not local. At all.

Sixth and final possession of the night.

Credit-uh_no; thanks!!
    Format-bomber
    Appearance-dark brown with a small tan head
    Nose-boozy dark chocolate (aged in Wild Turkey barrels)
    Mouthfeel-a bit thin for a stout but smooth/soft
    Tastes-dark chocolate; burnt caramel; bourbon; toasted coconut and vanilla (neither added); wood
    IBU-14 (no typo-AVBC claims this number); I'd have guessed 30-40
    ABV-6.9% (not quite an imperial version)
    MALTS: Pale Two-Row, Crystal (40L & 80L), Roasted Barley, Munich, Chocolate, Oats
    HOPS: Columbus, Northern Brewer
    Overall impression-an excellent beer I've never spent the money on and was delighted/honored to sample last PM
    Ymm, Beer rating-falls just shy of a cat 3; would gladly sip again

Six drives. Six TDs but the last one the PAT was wide right, just missing a perfect evening of stouts of various presentations with the Anchor Christmas Ale starting off the evening in classic fashion (as a porter).

Thanks again to all who sipped/contributed.

After International Stout Day on Thursday last week and the stout outpouring () at tailgate yesterday, I'm not sure there are many more stouts to sample. But, I'll try tonight and a couple more nights this week .

Tomb - DIPA - The Veil - 9.9%

with Galaxy, Citra, Motueka, El Dorado, and Waimea

Make sure you try beers and IPA's from The Veil if you haven't. Everything I taste from them seems world class.

I loved this.

So many DIPA's, but theirs are just on another level. Yellow, juicy, and smells like fresh grapefruit, orange, pine, and pineapple.

It tastes like a normal DIPA, but the fresh squeezed citrus paired with these hops couldn't work better start to finish. Creamy mouthfeel.

Fuse Category 3. Thanks ACCFan!!

Honey Ginger - Ardent - 7.8 %

Amber-orange pour. The bourbon barrel aging is very prominent. The ginger aroma and tastes are prominent only after letting it warm for a good 15 minutes. The honey is there, but not overpowering. Bourbon is the dominant flavor here (along with malty), even more than ginger IMO. Another outstanding beer.

Thank God for Ymm Beer this was a great, enjoyable weekend despite Duke football and the Panthers.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Honey Ginger - Ardent - 7.8 %

Amber-orange pour. The bourbon barrel aging is very prominent. The ginger aroma and tastes are prominent only after letting it warm for a good 15 minutes. The honey is there, but not overpowering. Bourbon is the dominant flavor here (along with malty), even more than ginger IMO. Another outstanding beer.

Thank God for Ymm Beer this was a great, enjoyable weekend despite Duke football and the Panthers.
    Ardent makes their standard Honey Ginger without barrel-aging which I don't think I've ever sampled or delivered to anyone in NC. They also make a BBA version which is superb. I *think* the standard version is 7.8% ABV and the BBA version is around 11.5% ABV and I'm thinking I delivered the BBA version to you with a huuuuge assist from accfanfrom1970.

Hardywood G-bread Stout

Bought one today at work (Publix) which is in the fridge to be sampled another eve. I'm still trying to get down to a fball or hoops game soon. Veil and the other breweries mentioned upthread are 15 minutes from my abode. Should I score tix and make a trip I'll grab some to bring.
    Calling for a chance of a few snowflakes here Tuesday, should be interesting day.