Page 1107 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1076071007105710971105110611071108110911171157120716072107 ... LastLast
Results 22,121 to 22,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    En route by train to Wilmington, Delaware (a/k/a the “other” Wilmington). Plan is to hit Iron Hill, but if others are recommended, give a shout. Will be trying to target sours, in keeping with the Virtual Pub theme.
    Chelsea Tavern usually has a nice selection on tap and, if they're keeping current on the interwebs, do have a sour. It's downtown, across from the Opera House. Food's okay, not bad, not great. Twin Lakes Brewing re-located to Newport, not too far south of Wilmington. I haven't been to the new location so can't personally vouch. Greenville Wine and Spirits is a nice little bottle shop...not a huge selection but a good one. Of course, Dogfish Head is king in DE so any bar worth it's salt should be pouring some of their brews...

You didn't ask for this recommendation but I'm going to give it to you anyway: Maiale Salumeria. Great sausage!

En route by train to Wilmington, Delaware (a/k/a the “other” Wilmington). Plan is to hit Iron Hill, but if others are recommended, give a shout. Will be trying to target sours, in keeping with the Virtual Pub theme.
    Can't help you with any suggestions there .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Looks like I'm up first with:

Pretty in Pink (draft)-Broomtail Craft Brewery (likely The Sour Barn second location)

Drink local! (sipped at The Peak Taproom and Kitchen in Surf City, NC)

Credit-fuse bought this for me to pair with our personal pizza; thanks!
    Format-pint glass
    Style-fruited gose
    Appearance-cloudy; pink; small head
    Nose-salt and strawberries
    Mouthfeel-mild pucker
    Tastes-berries, salt, spices
    Adjuncts-strawberries, hibiscus and sea salt
    IBU-10ish
    ABV-5%
    Overall impression-quality fruited gose
    Ymm, Beer-solid cat 2

I'll go next; had to dig around the beer fridge for a solid sour, but stumbled upon a bomber of:

Molten Mirrors - 6.6% ABV Peach Sour Saison - 3 Floyds Brewing Company
    Very light head, pleasant peach aroma that pretty much dominates the puckery mouthfeel. Pretty tasty sour, but it would be even tastier if we could avoid jumping offsides on the 1 yard line...

GTHC

FFF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Molten Mirrors-Three Floyds Brewing

Labeled a peach saison but this drinks more like a sour. Poured from a bomber into champagne flutes and shared 3 ways tonight by yours truly, younger daughter and her husband, all with borderline raves about it. Small, fizzy, quickly-disappearing head and a cloudy, orange-peachy (d'oh!) color. Fresh peach aromas with sour, then sweet, then sour-finishing peach tastes. Like a Peach Sour Patch Kids/Warheads, followed by peach gummies. Peach cider vinegar would be another reasonable comparison, if such a thing exists. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV from beeradvocate (no ratebeer reference here) is 6.6%. Forget any pairings as this may well be a one-off project. Rather sad they were out of Sicario Piña, a pineapple saison/sour, when daughter and SIL visited FFF in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I'll go next; had to dig around the beer fridge for a solid sour, but stumbled upon a bomber of:

Molten Mirrors - 6.6% ABV Peach Sour Saison - 3 Floyds Brewing Company
    Very light head, pleasant peach aroma that pretty much dominates the puckery mouthfeel. Pretty tasty sour, but it would be even tastier if we could avoid jumping offsides on the 1 yard line...

GTHC

FFF.jpg
    I thought this sounded familiar .

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Chelsea Tavern usually has a nice selection on tap and, if they're keeping current on the interwebs, do have a sour. It's downtown, across from the Opera House. Food's okay, not bad, not great. Twin Lakes Brewing re-located to Newport, not too far south of Wilmington. I haven't been to the new location so can't personally vouch. Greenville Wine and Spirits is a nice little bottle shop...not a huge selection but a good one. Of course, Dogfish Head is king in DE so any bar worth it's salt should be pouring some of their brews...

You didn't ask for this recommendation but I'm going to give it to you anyway: Maiale Salumeria. Great sausage!
    Thanks for this. Did indeed stop at Iron Hill. Some good beer, but the kegs had kicked on their one sour offering. Maybe at another stop.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Hey, fuse, getcher #$%^ feet off the bar...

Hey, fuse, getcher #$%^ feet off the bar...

😳😳😳

Broomtail Tangerine Gose

Almost hazy IPA in appearance.

My first Broomtail beer, and it was enjoyable.

A spritzy, citrusy bit of sour fun (and it is sour).

If you like tangerines, this is a great beer to seek out.

The pizza venue was also a lot of fun.

Cheers devildeac! 🍻

Might not be enough sours to complete the day unless RJ199 arrives with some reinforcements...

Virtual Pub Sours 10/26

The first beer for me for the virtual pub (at least in earnest) begins with a story which happens to be related to Duke basketball.

I was invited by a friend to a Duke basketball game including Championd Club access (oh to be able to give 100k/year for Duke tickets).

Post game we went to Sam’s and there was one bottle of Ad Idem on the shelf left for $40.

That’s a hell of a price for any beer. Even with the Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed reputation, I couldn’t bring myself to buy it.

As we go back to the car having made a few purchases, my friend pulls out the bottle of Ad Idem and simply says, enjoy.

The bottle has been sitting in my fridge for 3 years under the auspices of a shared experience with devildeac.

Well, the time has arrived.

Pours a pale straw gold into a taster snifter, no real head, maybe a few tiny bubbles on the edge of the glass.

Funky brett aroma reminiscent of a saison, with some vinegar, apples and peach.

Tiny bubbles ripple across my tongue, bursting with peach, straw and a delightful oaky finish.

This is a master work of a beer.

Grateful for the opportunity to share Ad Idem.

It’s a great day to share a world class beer.

Cheers, all 🍻

Tag devildeac, your turn to share what you think!

Steps into batters box:

Ad Idem (2016)-Lost Abbey/Wicked Weed collaboration

Credit-fuse and a former co-worker of his; many thanks!!
    Format-corked and caged 750 ml bottle
    Style-sour saison
    Stemware-5 ounce snifters
    Appearance-clear; minimal head; peach juice
    Nose-peach vinegar
    Mouthfeel-tingly
    Tastes-peach juice, apple cider vinegar, grapes, wet wood, lemons
    IBU-maybe 10
    ABV-6.2%
    Overall impression-well worth the 3 year wait to taste
    Ymm, Beer rating-high fuse cat 3; world class

It's gonna be tough to beat our "starter" beer and we have an outstanding line-up in the fridge with possible reinforcements coming from RJ199 in a couple hours.

Virtual Pub Sours 10/26

New Glarus Wild Sour 2018

Pours like a red ale, amber trending towards cola in the glass.

Smells like red wine vinegar.

Tastes like cherry, pinot noir, and Smuckers grape jelly. The finish is acidic and vinegar. How New Glarus makes sour so smooth is magic.

Another subtle sour weaving a tapestry of complex flavours.

I recall a past bottle exchange with devildeac and when the second bottle was gone, it brought a tear to my eye 😢 knowing this was another New Glarus one off.

Major credit to devildeac for hanging onto and sharing this bottle.
    🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Virtual Pub Sours 10/26

New Glarus Wild Sour 2018

Pours like a red ale, amber trending towards cola in the glass.

Smells like red wine vinegar.

Tastes like cherry, pinot noir, and Smuckers grape jelly. The finish is acidic and vinegar. How New Glarus makes sour so smooth is magic.

Another subtle sour weaving a tapestry of complex flavours.

I recall a past bottle exchange with devildeac and when the second bottle was gone, it brought a tear to my eye 😢 knowing this was another New Glarus one off.

Major credit to devildeac for hanging onto and sharing this bottle.
    🍻
    Wild Sour Ale 2018-New Glarus Brewing Company

There's nothing missing from the above review. Another world class offering from New Glarus.

Thanks for this. Did indeed stop at Iron Hill. Some good beer, but the kegs had kicked on their one sour offering. Maybe at another stop.
    Iron Hill notes:

(1) Pumpkin ale was good. Nice autumn spices. Lingering bitter aftertaste, though, which was off-putting. Low Cat 2.

(2) Witberry Belgian wheat, brewed with raspberries. Really good. The raspberry flavors were nicely balanced. Solid Cat 2.

(3) Their “Philly” NEIPA was very good. Nice citrus flavors and just a hint of pine. Also solid Cat 2

(4) I had just a small taster of their Kryptonite DIPA. Really resiny, both in color (dark amber) and flavor profile. I would have carried away a can of this for later, but they only sell them for carry in 4-packs, and (at 9.4% ABV), I don’t have time to drink them before have to go through airport security. Alas.

They best taste of the meal, though, were their Philly cheesesteak egg rolls. Who knew? A great fusion of Asian preparation of a classic Philly food.

Virtual Pub Sour 10/26

AMB Old Orchard Blueberry Sour

DBR ate my first review.

Pours like a rose, a bright pale ruby colour.

Nose is super funky and woody.

I’m not sure blueberry adds more than colour and maybe a bit of residual sugar.

This is not a sweet beer.

Tart, acidic, funky and dry oaky finish.

We’re three for three on great sours so far this evening.

What say you, devildeac? 🍻

Iron Hill notes:

(1) Pumpkin ale was good. Nice autumn spices. Lingering bitter aftertaste, though, which was off-putting. Low Cat 2.

(2) Witberry Belgian wheat, brewed with raspberries. Really good. The raspberry flavors were nicely balanced. Solid Cat 2.

(3) Their “Philly” NEIPA was very good. Nice citrus flavors and just a hint of pine. Also solid Cat 2

(4) I had just a small taster of their Kryptonite DIPA. Really resiny, both in color (dark amber) and flavor profile. I would have carried away a can of this for later, but they only sell them for carry in 4-packs, and (at 9.4% ABV), I don’t have time to drink them before have to go through airport security. Alas.

They best taste of the meal, though, were their Philly cheesesteak egg rolls. Who knew? A great fusion of Asian preparation of a classic Philly food.
    American, provolone or wit' Whiz?

American, provolone or wit' Whiz?
    Hidden pretty well, but had to be provolone

Between the football thing, the basketball thing, and the pub thing, I’m guessing a lotta beer will be consumed tonight. So there’s that ....

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Virtual Pub Sour 10/26

AMB Old Orchard Blueberry Sour

DBR ate my first review.

Pours like a rose, a bright pale ruby colour.

Nose is super funky and woody.

I’m not sure blueberry adds more than colour and maybe a bit of residual sugar.

This is not a sweet beer.

Tart, acidic, funky and dry oaky finish.

We’re three for three on great sours so far this evening.

What say you, devildeac? 🍻
    Y'all might be served just fine reading fuse's review above and skipping mine .

Old Orchard Blueberry Sour-Appalachian Mountain Brewery

Credit-fuse; again; thanks!
    Format-750 ml bottle, corked and caged
    Appearance-cloudy cranberry juice; small, thin head
    Nose-berries; funk; sour
    Mouthfeel-tart/sour
    Tastes-mild berries, sour, lemon-lime, wet wood
    IBU-low
    ABV-movin' on up to 7.1% here
    Overall impression-not quite as good as the New Glarus or the Ad Idem but still excellent
    Ymm, Beer rating-sneaks into cat 3 but not world class; saving about 4 ounces for RJ199's arrival in about 30 minutes.

Between the football thing, the basketball thing, and the pub thing, I’m guessing a lotta beer will be consumed tonight. So there’s that ...
    You are indeed correct.