Page 1105 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1056051005105510951103110411051106110711151155120516052105 ... LastLast
Results 22,081 to 22,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    They sound great.

Looks like you should buy all three and report back to us after 11 AM Saturday when I open the doors for Sour Day at the Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub.

(strong hint)

And, if you bought extra bottles of each, you could deliver to a tailgate if you attend one this year or when you visit family in the Triangle area again. I'm available...
    I'll be in a cabin in Boone for Mrs. Mattman's birthday weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'll be in a cabin in Boone for Mrs. Mattman's birthday weekend
    Want me to open the doors Friday night for some sour previews?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Howdy y'all! Or is it all y'all?

I apologize to my BrewDevil brethren that I've not been at the virtual pub over the past couple of months, but I assure you that I've had some amazing beers this summer. Between the kids, work and volunteering as a football coach, my energy level has barely allowed for the use of a bottle opener, let alone my long-winded reviews. No longer! Playoffs start tomorrow for Indiana high school football, CTC looked like a blast, and I'm starting to get the fire back in my belly as I look forward to the season.

The notables that I've enjoyed over the past month or so:
    - A couple of the barrel-aged Junie variants from Transient Ales up in Southwest Michigan, favorite of which was Barklava Junie - 13% BBA Imperial Stout with honey and pistachio
    - While I've never been a HUGE fan of the mainstream Sun King offerings, I was gifted a six pack of some of their draft/growler-only "King's Reserve" barrel aged stuff... Amazing. Changes my entire opinion of the place. Best of the ones I've tried so far was Gran Muckle - 10.7% Wee Heavy aged in Whiskey barrels with chocolate, toffee, and cinnamon

I forget which of you guys lives near or in Indy, but there's a place on the far south side (Columbus, IN) that specializes in slushie fruit beers called 450 North which has started getting a lot more buzz up in my neck of the woods recently... I'd be interested to see if they've been there. 450 North has Friday in-person releases (of eight different canned beers) every 2-3 weeks and I've yet to have a bad selection... For example, here's the lineup for tomorrow's release:
    -The Great Pumpkin Shake! (8%), a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake DIPA conditioned on pumpkin, pumpkin spices and vanilla
    -Masquerade (10.3%) is a Triple Dry Hopped Triple IPA hopped with Galaxy, Vic Secret and Citra
    -Black Widow XXL(10%) is conditioned on killer amounts of Black Currant, Blackberry and Black Cherry
    -Werewolves of Slushland(8%) is conditioned on beastly amounts of Boysenberry, Raspberry, Grahman Cracker and Vanilla
    -Slushy XL Beetle's Juuuce(8%) is conditioned on Grape, Blackberry, Peach and Pineapple
    -Zombie Nuggets(8.3%) is a DDH DIPA with primarily all Citra and then final dry hopped with Mosaic Cryo
    -Frankendrank XL is supercharged with Key Lime, Mango, Pineapple and Green Apple

I've got my mule procuring one of each, so I'll let you guys know what I think... If he gets them to me in time, maybe I'll make an appearance at the Virtual Sour Saloon on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Howdy y'all! Or is it all y'all?

I apologize to my BrewDevil brethren that I've not been at the virtual pub over the past couple of months, but I assure you that I've had some amazing beers this summer. Between the kids, work and volunteering as a football coach, my energy level has barely allowed for the use of a bottle opener, let alone my long-winded reviews. No longer! Playoffs start tomorrow for Indiana high school football, CTC looked like a blast, and I'm starting to get the fire back in my belly as I look forward to the season.

The notables that I've enjoyed over the past month or so:
    - A couple of the barrel-aged Junie variants from Transient Ales up in Southwest Michigan, favorite of which was Barklava Junie - 13% BBA Imperial Stout with honey and pistachio
    - While I've never been a HUGE fan of the mainstream Sun King offerings, I was gifted a six pack of some of their draft/growler-only "King's Reserve" barrel aged stuff... Amazing. Changes my entire opinion of the place. Best of the ones I've tried so far was Gran Muckle - 10.7% Wee Heavy aged in Whiskey barrels with chocolate, toffee, and cinnamon

I forget which of you guys lives near or in Indy, but there's a place on the far south side (Columbus, IN) that specializes in slushie fruit beers called 450 North which has started getting a lot more buzz up in my neck of the woods recently... I'd be interested to see if they've been there. 450 North has Friday in-person releases (of eight different canned beers) every 2-3 weeks and I've yet to have a bad selection... For example, here's the lineup for tomorrow's release:
    -The Great Pumpkin Shake! (8%), a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake DIPA conditioned on pumpkin, pumpkin spices and vanilla
    -Masquerade (10.3%) is a Triple Dry Hopped Triple IPA hopped with Galaxy, Vic Secret and Citra
    -Black Widow XXL(10%) is conditioned on killer amounts of Black Currant, Blackberry and Black Cherry
    -Werewolves of Slushland(8%) is conditioned on beastly amounts of Boysenberry, Raspberry, Grahman Cracker and Vanilla
    -Slushy XL Beetle's Juuuce(8%) is conditioned on Grape, Blackberry, Peach and Pineapple
    -Zombie Nuggets(8.3%) is a DDH DIPA with primarily all Citra and then final dry hopped with Mosaic Cryo
    -Frankendrank XL is supercharged with Key Lime, Mango, Pineapple and Green Apple

I've got my mule procuring one of each, so I'll let you guys know what I think... If he gets them to me in time, maybe I'll make an appearance at the Virtual Sour Saloon on Saturday
    Outstanding! I've wondered where you've been and what you've been sipping-thanks for the updates!

Davec gifted fuse and me a couple pairs of 450 North brews this March or April that we both reviewed, IIRC. When I get home tonight, I'll try to re-post those reviews. The above list really sounds liked they've raised their game several notches and would be delighted to read your reviews. Maybe that'll get davec to review them, too, in a point/counterpoint exchange (yea, davec, I'm calling you out ).

I'll have an extra barstool set up for you as I'm the host this month and all of us would be delighted to have you join us for the morning/afternoon/evening with whatever thoughts you have about what you're tasting. Any FFF sours you could edjumacate us about if your 450 North beer mule is unsuccessful?

Outstanding! I've wondered where you've been and what you've been sipping-thanks for the updates!

Davec gifted fuse and me a couple pairs of 450 North brews this March or April that we both reviewed, IIRC. When I get home tonight, I'll try to re-post those reviews. The above list really sounds liked they've raised their game several notches and would be delighted to read your reviews. Maybe that'll get davec to review them, too, in a point/counterpoint exchange (yea, davec, I'm calling you out ).

I'll have an extra barstool set up for you as I'm the host this month and all of us would be delighted to have you join us for the morning/afternoon/evening with whatever thoughts you have about what you're tasting. Any FFF sours you could edjumacate us about if your 450 North beer mule is unsuccessful?
    With the amount of fruit in the 450s I've learned that you absolutely have to keep them cold and drink them pretty quickly for the full experience. Our area mule has his entire truck lined with yeti coolers and keeps them on ice until he makes it back up here, which is why I don't mind paying $10 a can and saving myself the 4 hour trip. It helps that my wife loves their beer and I don't catch too much flack for spending $80 on a couple of 4 packs

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    With the amount of fruit in the 450s I've learned that you absolutely have to keep them cold and drink them pretty quickly for the full experience. Our area mule has his entire truck lined with yeti coolers and keeps them on ice until he makes it back up here, which is why I don't mind paying $10 a can and saving myself the 4 hour trip. It helps that my wife loves their beer and I don't catch too much flack for spending $80 on a couple of 4 packs

Sounds like a great arrangement but shhh, don't give our beer mule, accfanfrom1970, any ideas .

What do you drink when the weather gets Kuhler?

New Glarus Kuhler

New Glarus means great beer.
    Thumbprint / red label NG means even greater. 😀

Nose almost smells artifically sweet, like sticking your nose in a bag of gummy candy. There is definitely some nostril tickling sour vinegar lurking.

An unusual copper / amber colour.

I’m not sure how to describe the taste explosion behind Kuhler.
    Can a taste be subtle and dynamic at the same time?

This is not a punch you in the mouth sour.
    Mouthfeel is delightfully viscous and syrupy.

This might be the Gran Marnier of beer.
    Not boozy, and yet reminiscent of the famous orange liqueur.

It would be an awful lot of fun to follow New Glarus staff around for a day just to gain an appreciation of what goes into such a quality operation.

Part of the label description talks about open fermentation/coolship beer and that this beer was brewed in 2017 and aged for a year and a half in oak before bottling.

Just another New Glarus world class beer.

Thanks devildeac! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What do you drink when the weather gets Kuhler?

New Glarus Kuhler

New Glarus means great beer.
    Thumbprint / red label NG means even greater. 😀

Nose almost smells artifically sweet, like sticking your nose in a bag of gummy candy. There is definitely some nostril tickling sour vinegar lurking.

An unusual copper / amber colour.

I’m not sure how to describe the taste explosion behind Kuhler.
    Can a taste be subtle and dynamic at the same time?

This is not a punch you in the mouth sour.
    Mouthfeel is delightfully viscous and syrupy.

This might be the Gran Marnier of beer.
    Not boozy, and yet reminiscent of the famous orange liqueur.

It would be an awful lot of fun to follow New Glarus staff around for a day just to gain an appreciation of what goes into such a quality operation.

Part of the label description talks about open fermentation/coolship beer and that this beer was brewed in 2017 and aged for a year and a half in oak before bottling.

Just another New Glarus world class beer.

Thanks devildeac! 🍻
    You're most welcome!

The giant smile will disappear very slowly from my face after reading the above review. I haven't had one yet and don't think RJ199 has sipped his either. Those should make for some very interesting reads.

American Promise-Fullsteam Brewery

Local!!

Credit-I bought a 4 pack with budwom getting #1 and I sipped #2 last PM so 2 more to go
    Canned on-09/buncha dots/19 (I think); another brew for their 9F anniversary
    Format-pint can
    Style-milkshake IPA
    Appearance-pear nectar with a generous, very pale tan head
    Nose-paw paws! (d'oh); seriously, aromas were mangoes, banana, vanilla custard
    Mouthfeel-mildly pulpy/juicy and thick
    Tastes-vanilla, pear (not added), paw paws which reportedly taste like bananas and mangoes; mildly sweet
    IBU-37 (source: Untappd)
    ABV-7.1% (on the label)
    Grains-Locally malted barley (Gold two-row), Locally malted wheat, Carapils, Flaked oats, Two-row brewer's malt
    Hops-Vic Secret, El Dorado, Amarillo (Ymm, Vic Secret, RJ199's fav)
    Adjuncts-vanilla, lactose, locally foraged paw paws
    Overall impression-an excellent example for the style; not too sweet/thick
    Ymm, Beer rating-high Cat 2; looking forward to another of these and maybe trading 1 for a ...

Local!!

Credit-I bought a 4 pack with budwom getting #1 and I sipped #2 last PM so 2 more to go
    Format-pint can
    Style-milkshake IPA
    Tastes-vanilla, pear (not added), paw paws which reportedly taste like bananas and mangoes; mildly sweet
    ABV-7.1% (on the label)
    Grains-Locally malted barley (Gold two-row), Locally malted wheat, Carapils, Flaked oats, Two-row brewer's malt
    Ymm, Beer rating-high Cat 2; looking forward to another of these and maybe trading 1 for a ...
    8b30c2a1e89e710c04c653fdd915d677_640x640.jpg

A paw paw:

Pawpaw_Fruit_6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What better reason than a Monday to crack open this advanced trader from Richard Jackson?
    Not much more I can add, and I will try ��

And why am I continually surprised when beers I should anticipate as dark, pour dark?

Pours looking like cola, with a nose reminiscent of Rodenbach, fruity and pungent.

This tastes far more like an Oud Bruin to my palate than a saison (not a complaint!).

The nose gets a little woodsy after the first sip, a little bit astringent.

Great mouthfeel, and yet not dense. Silky.

Layers of dark fruit, cherry, plum and grape, are interwoven into a tapestry dominated by a subtle kind of sour.
    The sour is omnipresent, and yet not overpowering.
    Not sour patch kids sour, bright and scratchy; a smoother, more mellow punch.

Brewery Bhavana strikes again!
    Thanks richardjackson! ��
    Thrilled you enjoyed it! This remains one of my favorite first sour beers tried from Stella.

Tefnut-The Veil Brewing Company in collaboration with Omnipollo

Credit-accfanfrom1970; thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-triple fruited imperial gose (although my Duke math skillz tell me apricot + passion fruit=double fruited (no third suspect found on-line)
    Stemware-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-(hint) it don't look like beer; apricot/carrot smoothie with some serious chunk and a head almost as thick as the beer
    Nose-apricot, passion fruit (I guess), papaya, pineapple
    Mouthfeel-pulpy; thick/viscous; "I coulda had a V8!"
    Tastes-same as the nose with some tart/sour tropical juices
    IBUs-10ish?
    ABV-11% (WTH? for a gose??)
    Overall impression-I thought this was a fantastic selection, even at $6.50 for my share of the quartet;
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3, though I could see a downgrade to cat 2 if you think "it don't look, smell or taste like a beer!"

Veil's explanation from Untapped: "cosmic Imperial Gose in collaboration with Omnipollo. Each iteration of Tefnut features a different fruit treatment. We put our heads together with Omnipollo to reimagine what a fruit beer can be via new processes and fruit volumes."
    Enjoyed this tonight. For further proof this is not a beer, Beergoddess loved it and said she would drink the whole thing. But she did not. I did. (she told me that after it was quickly gone or I would have shared more). Thanks ACCFan! I bet the Mango Tefnut was fun too. What a fruited gose!

9th Anniversary-Fullsteam Brewery

Credit-all mine!
    Style-hazy IPA
    Format-pint can from a 4 pack; budwom got can#1 at the Pitt tailgate
    Freshness-you bet! 09/02/19 MPN 793
    Appearance-Attachment 9870
    Aromas-Dole Orange Mango Pineapple Juice
    Mouthfeel-juicy but not pulpy
    Tastes-mango, orange, pineapple, pith, rind
    Grains-"Locally malted barley (Foundation), Carapils copper malt, Honey malt, Flaked oats"
    Hops-"Vic Secret, Citra, Amarillo" (ymm, Vic Secret)
    Yeast-"Omega DIPA Ale" (they musta not used *quite* enough yeast as it's not quite a DIPA )
    IBU-26
    ABV-7.4%
    Overall impression-what's not to like about a juicy, hazy IPA with the characters "9" and "F" on the label, even if the "F" is backwards
    Ymm, Beer rating-high cat 2; I've got 2 left, any takers?
    9F - Yes please

Local!!

Format-pint can
    Style-milkshake IPA
    ABV-7.1% (on the label)
    Reads delicious. So much great beer. So little time to drink great beer. Hello weekend..

Also had a Rhinegeist Franz Octoberfest. 5.4 % ABV - 20 IBU.

Gotta get to bed and get to Wilmington tomorrow. Untapped and Beeradvocate disagree with me. But I absolutely loved this Oktoberfest. I thought it was better than Clawhammer and even Foothills. Like the can said, the Munich and Vienna malts pumped me up. Just a consummate, perfect Oktoberfest. Thanks to whomever gave me this - I think devildeac! Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Also had a Rhinegeist Franz Octoberfest. 5.4 % ABV - 20 IBU.

Gotta get to bed and get to Wilmington tomorrow. Untapped and Beeradvocate disagree with me. But I absolutely loved this Oktoberfest. I thought it was better than Clawhammer and even Foothills. Like the can said, the Munich and Vienna malts pumped me up. Just a consummate, perfect Oktoberfest. Thanks to whomever gave me this - I think devildeac! Loved it!
    You're welcome! It was indeed from our tOSU tailgate last month and is from a very good Cincinnati brewery.

Hey, RJ199-you gonna be reporting from a "boat" tonight? I can open the Virtual Pub for a few hours early to mid-evening if you'd like.

(No offense to Bob Green with the "boat" reference. If/when RJ199 starts posting and reveals his location for the evening, you'll really see my joking nature...)

Fuse, budwom, RJ199 and I will all be at the NC coast this weekend? Might not be enough sea creatures and/or adult beverages for the remainder of the visitors...

Hey, RJ199-you gonna be reporting from a "boat" tonight? I can open the Virtual Pub for a few hours early to mid-evening if you'd like.

(No offense to Bob Green with the "boat" reference. If/when RJ199 starts posting and reveals his location for the evening, you'll really see my joking nature...)

I'll be on the boat, but definitely will not be posting from there. I never post on DBR from my phone. I don't really like phones or mobile apps. I still have an IPhone 5, the only smart phone I've ever had. I think Untappd is the only app I have/use. I use my phone to text, talk, and check a score, but that's about it. Whenever I post on DBR I'm chilling somewhere on my MacBook Air. My brain works slowly even without alcohol, so that gives me a chance to collect my thoughts and edit my posts.

So I'll reveal my evening location now - the deck of the USS NC Battleship in Wilmington, drinking good beers:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/voracio...ts-53016634180

I'll be with my Stepdad helping him celebrate his birthday, and hopefully thoroughly enjoying the moment. I'll try to check in Saturday at the sour virtual pub. I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend - Cheers!