Page 1092 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 92592992104210821090109110921093109411021142119215922092 ... LastLast
Results 21,821 to 21,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Aventinus-Schneider Weisse Brauerei

Credit-August West; thanks
    Format-500 ml bottle
    Style-weizen doppelbock
    Appearance-dark brown; foamy, tan head; cloudy
    Aromas-banana, cloves, bubblegum, caramel
    Mouthfeel-delightful
    Tastes-orange; banana; dried and dark fruits; bubblegum; dark caramel
    IBUs-18
    ABV-8.2%
    Overall impression-world class; what a way to start our tailgate; if you missed it, go buy one for about $5-6
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3; this may be the original German weizen doppelbock
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

What beer goes with celebrating your first adult rec league soccer goal?
    😃😃😃😃⚽️🎉🎊🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What beer goes with celebrating your first adult rec league soccer goal?
    😃😃😃😃⚽️🎉🎊🍻
    A fuse Category Hat-Trick of course. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Sylvan 2018 - Brewery Bhavana - 6.2% ABV -

From the bottle - "The 2nd iteration of this single barrel series comes from barrel 77, which waited in our wood cellar for nearly 2 years, slowly souring this deep, dark beer and unearthing notes of stone fruit, funk, and chocolate."

I must preface that I love sours. I'm a guy who gets the fries with vinegar at the fair and a southerner who prefers apple cider vinegar on my turnip greens.

If you also love dark sour beers, this is Fuse Category 1 (or was it Category 3, devildeac?) I think it was Category 1 - Holy Shnikeys - try this beer, get some! Loved it.

Pours like dark root beer.

I can taste the chocolate undertones which are subtle, but fun. There are definitely some kind of fruit notes. I don't even know what a stonefruit is - but I've evidently had it in lots of good beers. There is certainly funk, but I love it and it's complex. It tastes like balsamic vinegar throughout, tart in a good way to me, uniquely balanced, and not too overpowering IF you like sours.

I just don't have the discriminating palate of some of you, but Untapped suggests to me that these fruit notes include touch of tart cherry, tart plum flavors forward, oaky, and vinous finish. The power of suggestion is strong, and I would agree with all that nuance. Deep flavor. Bhavana makes great barrel-aged mixed fermentation beer!

I should add the bottle says Saison, but this is straight up sour. I thought I didn't think Saisons were my favorite. This tastes more like a funky sour than a saison IMO.
    Had my bottle of this today. This review is spot on. A fantastic sour. I have no idea where the “saison” comes from.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Had my bottle of this today. This review is spot on. A fantastic sour. I have no idea where the “saison” comes from.
    Apparently I may have chosen poorly for my celebration beer, although I will stand by my choice of Clawhammer. 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Apparently I may have chosen poorly for my celebration beer, although I will stand by my choice of Clawhammer. 🍻
    Whatever you need to tell yourself....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From Friday night-no, not a primer for tailgate :

White Russian Nitro-Left Hand Brewing Company

Credit-Beer #4 from my September beer club 4 pack
    Format-13.65 ounce can (no typo )
    Style-white stout
    Appearance-golden yellow with a typical smooth, frothy head
    Nose-coffee, vanilla and white chocolate
    Mouthfeel-creamy
    Tastes-match the aromas; some light brown sugar/caramel
    IBUs-20
    ABV-8.9% (deceptive)
    Overall impression-a very nice inclusion for a $1.75, the average cost per beer for my $89/year membership for 48ish beers
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid Cat 2; worth a taste for the $3 you'd likely pay for a single

Bob Green has put the first commitment out there for a GT brunchgate beer: a growler of Peanut City Porter from the Brick and Mortar Brewery in his region. Looking forward to it already!

Tonight's dinner beer:

Cardinal Pale Ale-Nebraska Brewing Company

Credit-neighbor from his wife's gift to him of a mail order beer membership
    Format-12 ounce aluminum
    Style-pale ale
    Canned-03/19/19; Drink Local (they stole that from this thread )
    Appearance-light copper with a modest, foamy head
    Nose-resin and pine; light caramel
    Mouthfeel-mild bitterness
    Tastes-resin, pine, soap, light brown sugar
    IBUs-42
    ABV-6%
    Overall impression-pretty pedestrian
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 1; actually not bad but I wouldn't place one in my shopping cart

Back to tailgate:

Framboise-Lindemans

Credit-revlawgrad, aka revmerlindevildog91 (IIRC); many thanks!!
    Format-750 ml bottle, capped AND corked (yes, we needed a bottle opener AND a corkscrew to unleash this elixir )
    Style-raspberry lambic ale
    Appearance-a brilliant, opaque reddish/purple with a bubbly head
    Nose-raspberry beret, err, puree
    Mouthfeel-tingly
    Taste-pure raspberry juice with a bit of a pucker
    IBUs-who cares (I'll guess 10)
    ABV-2.5% (IIRC)
    Overall impression-world class; maybe the original (?); but, I still like the New Glarus Raspberry Tart better
    Ymm, Beer rating-easily fuse cat 3; worth seeking out if you've never had this before; they also brew a Kriek (excellent) and Peche (never tasted but maybe GT game?)

An outstanding selection. Thanks again.

Paging killerleft for his review of Glenwood and Gomorrah (sp?), an IPA from Eleveneleven (?) Brewery...

Paging buddy for his review of Namaste...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bob Green has put the first commitment out ... a growler of Peanut City Porter from the Brick and Mortar Brewery in his region ...
    And how about some of what eats those peanuts in his region?

From Food Republic ...

Why is Virginia so famous for country hams?
    As early as the 1750s, people in Surry were curing hams to send back to England. So Virginia became known for that product. If you look at Spain, Italy, Germany and Virginia, we're within the same latitude range with similar weather patterns. Maybe just by luck we're in a region that produces the best-tasting cured meats.

You say your methods are hundreds of years old. How many hundreds?
    American Indians had figured out how to dry-cure wild game, then the settlers landed here in Surry — we're only four miles from Jamestown. On our side of the river is Hog Island, where the settlers brought up their pigs. Whenever they needed pork, they would come across the river and slaughter. That got handed down over the generations over 400 years, and my dad was taught by his dad, who was taught the nuances of making a better ham. People miss what they grew up on.

What are your thoughts on the Serrano and Parma curing methods?
    I've been to Spain to see how they do it and I plan on going to the Parma region, but this is not rocket science. They are very similar processes. Everybody has their own terroir, but the bacteria and other flora in the air are going to produce a different product. it's controlled fermentation, like what happens with cheese or wine.

Speaking of terroir, you feed your pigs peanuts for a richer, more flavorful finished product. Is this an old technique?
    We started that project about five years ago. First peanuts comprised 5% of the diet, then 10% and so on until we figured out 30% was the ideal number. The rest is soybeans and corn, plus grass and what the hogs forage while roaming in the woods.

From the 1800s through the 1950s, Virginia was considered the "peanut belt," producing fancy jumbo-grade peanuts. In the good old days they'd harvest them, then let the pigs roam after harvest to eat the remaining peanuts. In talking to some old-time farmers, we started doing the math and over five years we adjusted and tasted. If you feed them too many peanuts, the meat will become flabby. We went too far at one point and the hams were like Jell-O when they were fresh and didn't cure out well. On this peanut diet, by the time the ham has aged 18 months and you slice in, the meat is moist and oily, but still firm.

What if you're allergic to peanuts?
    A doctor at Kansas State University did a study on peanut-fed pigs. The allergen aspects of peanuts do not pass through the hog's body.

So they're peanut-fed heritage pigs who roam in the woods. Sounds like a good life.
    We actually have pigs who can swim, we joke about it. Because they don't like hot weather, they get a little panicky, so when there's rain, the pigs go swimming in a low spot in the corner of the woods. The farmer joked he'd charge more because they knew how to swim.

Paging RJ199 for his review of Delirium Tremens...

There were 2 other DNP-CD, both Oktoberfests that fuse brought and I can't recall their names

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    And how about some of what eats those peanuts in his region?

From Food Republic ...

Why is Virginia so famous for country hams?
    As early as the 1750s, people in Surry were curing hams to send back to England. So Virginia became known for that product. If you look at Spain, Italy, Germany and Virginia, we're within the same latitude range with similar weather patterns. Maybe just by luck we're in a region that produces the best-tasting cured meats.

You say your methods are hundreds of years old. How many hundreds?
    American Indians had figured out how to dry-cure wild game, then the settlers landed here in Surry — we're only four miles from Jamestown. On our side of the river is Hog Island, where the settlers brought up their pigs. Whenever they needed pork, they would come across the river and slaughter. That got handed down over the generations over 400 years, and my dad was taught by his dad, who was taught the nuances of making a better ham. People miss what they grew up on.

What are your thoughts on the Serrano and Parma curing methods?
    I've been to Spain to see how they do it and I plan on going to the Parma region, but this is not rocket science. They are very similar processes. Everybody has their own terroir, but the bacteria and other flora in the air are going to produce a different product. it's controlled fermentation, like what happens with cheese or wine.

Speaking of terroir, you feed your pigs peanuts for a richer, more flavorful finished product. Is this an old technique?
    We started that project about five years ago. First peanuts comprised 5% of the diet, then 10% and so on until we figured out 30% was the ideal number. The rest is soybeans and corn, plus grass and what the hogs forage while roaming in the woods.

From the 1800s through the 1950s, Virginia was considered the "peanut belt," producing fancy jumbo-grade peanuts. In the good old days they'd harvest them, then let the pigs roam after harvest to eat the remaining peanuts. In talking to some old-time farmers, we started doing the math and over five years we adjusted and tasted. If you feed them too many peanuts, the meat will become flabby. We went too far at one point and the hams were like Jell-O when they were fresh and didn't cure out well. On this peanut diet, by the time the ham has aged 18 months and you slice in, the meat is moist and oily, but still firm.

What if you're allergic to peanuts?
    A doctor at Kansas State University did a study on peanut-fed pigs. The allergen aspects of peanuts do not pass through the hog's body.

So they're peanut-fed heritage pigs who roam in the woods. Sounds like a good life.
    We actually have pigs who can swim, we joke about it. Because they don't like hot weather, they get a little panicky, so when there's rain, the pigs go swimming in a low spot in the corner of the woods. The farmer joked he'd charge more because they knew how to swim.
    An excellent addition to the Peanut City beer/story. Thanks!

Perhaps nearing the middle of the tailgate order of brews:

Tubby Monk 2015-Lost Province Brewpub

Credit-fuse; thanks!!
    Format-corked and caged 750 ml bottle (IIRC)
    Style-Belgian style dark ale; ? an imperial dubbel
    Appearance-medium brown; clean/clear; no head
    Nose-dark, dried fruits; medium brown sugar
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-figs, dates, raisins, cherries; brown sugar; herbal hops
    IBUs-20 (?)
    ABV-9.4%; dangerously sippable
    Overall impression-very good American take on the Belgian style
    Ymm, Beer rating-high fuse cat 2; worth a snifter if you visit Boone

Edit-this may have actually been a Love Ninja credit
    Last edited by devildeac; 10-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    An excellent addition to the Peanut City beer/story. Thanks!
    You're welcome. Little known: just as pigs should have a 30% peanut diet for a flavorful terrior, so should a CFB offense have a 30% bubble screen ratio ...

A vertical!

Tubby Monk 2016-Lost Province Brewpub

Credit-fuse; many thanks! a great idea
    Format-750 ml; caged and corked
    Appearance-perhaps a bit lighter than the 2015; no head
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Nose-dark, dried fruits; brown sugar
    Tastes-very similar to the 2015; there was some discussion about one or the other being a bit more mellow/softer
    IBUs-20ish
    ABV-9.4%; dangerous
    Overall impression-another very, very good take on the style
    Ymm, Beer rating-high fuse cat 2; I couldn't distinguish/favor one over the other; worth a snifter if you can find a more current version

Edit-this may also have been a Love Ninja credit

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    You're welcome. Little known: just as pigs should have a 30% peanut diet for a flavorful terrior, so should a CFB offense have a 30% bubble screen ratio ...
    For a while yesterday, I was hoping for a better than a 30% completion rate from a certain home team.