Page 1087 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 87587987103710771085108610871088108910971137118715872087 ... LastLast
Results 21,721 to 21,740 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Glad you're good Mattman. I've been AWOL too. My reviews were like this - Fuse Category 2, 2, 3. Sometimes life happens, and we've all been experiencing that first hand recently. But good beer, good company, and Duke football blowing out the Hokies helps. I vote Mattman host the virtual pub again on a date that looks favorable.
    I'll second that. Perhaps next time, I won't have to break a window for early entry and I promise I'll tip better next time, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I brought 24 beers back from JackieO’s in Athens, Ohio. I forget which number this one is. BBA Skipping Stone. Belgian style quad ale aged in bourbon barrels. Nose is bourbon, first taste is caramel, oak, maybe some dark fruit. Then bourbon. 13% abv. Smooth, rich mouth feel, warming. Part of their Trappist yeast series. Just a spectacular beer, category 3 for sure. Quite the night cap.

Your'e almost drinking a Saison.

With apologies from me too. Craziness in my life has intensified. It was necessary, and I did 2 interviews for a new job at Wake Forest (most recent yesterday) and another interview with a separate private practice. My current employer last Monday gave me (and everybody who works for them in my area) 7 days to sign a new contract or give a 90 day notice. I asked for an extension to make a decision, and was given an extension of 1 day. So I've been basically AWOL too. But it's a good excuse because I need a job to buy good beer.
    Beergoddess and I have made several pros/cons lists, but I credit the great beer delivered recently for giving me a moment of clarity.

I'm signing and staying with my current employer, decided tonight. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Can't wait to see the Irishman.

Huge thanks to all involved for the recent beer delivery! Last night I had:
    Hubris - Lynwood - Wow - Fuse Category 3
    Collusion - Gizmo - DNEIPA - You know I'm a sucker for Enigma hops. Colluded nicely with Vic Secret. Strong, high Fuse Category 2.
    IPA - X - Ardent - Citra & Mosaic - Strong Fuse Category 2

Melancholia - Saison - The Veil - Fuse Category 3. I loved it. I didn't even know I liked Saisons, but I loved this. No gimmicks with this beer - it's just amazingly well done. I'll forever credit ACCfan, for me choosing wisely under high pressure on the right job offer (telling myself that and not looking back).

Cheers! Hopefully I'll be back here soon with more important things to focus on like reviewing great beers and getting to that Pitt tailgate/game of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    This time Veil’s Melancholia. That’s a misnomer, because this beer did not make me sad. Quite the opposite. A farmhouse style ale, it pours a bright but slightly hazy yellow. Medium size white head that lingers quite a while. My first tastes made me think this was a white ale, with a boatload of peppercorn. That mellowed over time and a touch more “funk” came along as it warmed. 6.5% ABV. Solid Cat 2.
    Melancholia-The Veil Brewing

Canned on
    08/01/19
    11:38:37

Have your "agent" buy local and then delivered to a nearby zip code! Many thanks to accfanfrom1970 for this gem!

RJ199 and Tripping William have fine reviews as above. I'll add that I almost always perceive underripe apples and pears in most saisons and this was no exception. The peppercorn comment is especially on the money. I'm torn between Cat 2 and 3 and my lean is to nudge into Cat 3 territory. It may not be world class, but it is worth searching for and recommending highly. Sorry this one had to get a DNP yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I brought 24 beers back from JackieO’s in Athens, Ohio. I forget which number this one is. BBA Skipping Stone. Belgian style quad ale aged in bourbon barrels. Nose is bourbon, first taste is caramel, oak, maybe some dark fruit. Then bourbon. 13% abv. Smooth, rich mouth feel, warming. Part of their Trappist yeast series. Just a spectacular beer, category 3 for sure. Quite the night cap.
    Mrs. dd will be reeaal happy when I suggest yet another stop on the way to/from Columbus in November...

Tonight I had
    Raspberry Short Kate - Hardywood - Raspberry Milkshake IPA.

I loved it. What a creamy, fun mouthfeel. Juicy plump raspberry finish. My beergoddess wife loved it too. I'm thinking that any beer accfan recommends is category 3. Thanks!

Tonight I had

I loved it. What a creamy, fun mouthfeel. Juicy plump raspberry finish. My beergoddess wife loved it too. I'm thinking that any beer accfan recommends is category 3. Thanks!
    Ha! Neither of our daughters really like IPAs, but, when they've had various milkshake IPAs, mostly from Gizmo (pineapple, raspberry, strawberry, guava), they've been all smiles.

Tonight I had

Thanks and I’m glad. I was worried a milkshake ipa was too different, but thought it was fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Thanks and I’m glad. I was worried a milkshake ipa was too different, but thought it was fun too.
    Plus, one must get a nice chuckle from the name.

Still waiting for mattman to drink a saison...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Awww, give him a break. He turned 28 today.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Awww, give him a break. He turned 28 today.

Good point. But, where's the party?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Since Mattman is picking a style for the real Octoberfest, I knew there was no need to save the pumpkins. I had regular Pumking 2019 tonight. That stuff is better than I remembered - Vanilla bomb.

Hello October.

Since Mattman is picking a style for the real Octoberfest, I knew there was no need to save the pumpkins. I had regular Pumking 2019 tonight. That stuff is better than I remembered - Vanilla bomb.

Hello October.
    Hope we don't have to remind him too often...

You oughtta try to find a 500 ml bottle of the Rum Barrel-Aged Pumking. Shared a bottle last year with devildeac2. Really good stuff.

DC area beer

Sorta meh this trip. Had mostly tasters.

(1) Port City (Alexandria, VA) Oktoberfest wasn’t all that. It would have been DNP in the Virtual Pub. No depth of flavor.

(2) Evolution Brewing (Salisbury, MD) Lot No.3 IPA. Also kinda boring. Nothing terribly interesting in it.

(3) Brew Republic (Woodbridge, VA) has a really tasty NEIPA called Freestyle Juicy. Hazy orange, with lots of good citrus. Well balanced against the hops. Beer of the night.

(4) Terrapin’s Up-High IPA also did nothing for me.

(5) A really good Pilsner from Upland Brewing (Bloomington, IN) called Champagne Velvet. It takes a lot to get a Pils to wow me. This one did. Kinda full & silky up front, but with nice bite at the back end. Worth seeking out.

It’s about 6 weeks too late for the Virtual Pub, but Starr Hill has a lime gose that’s really good. Not quite to Tank Top level, but still delicious.

Sorta meh this trip. Had mostly tasters.

(1) Port City (Alexandria, VA) Oktoberfest wasn’t all that. It would have been DNP in the Virtual Pub. No depth of flavor.

(2) Evolution Brewing (Salisbury, MD) Lot No.3 IPA. Also kinda boring. Nothing terribly interesting in it.

(3) Brew Republic (Woodbridge, VA) has a really tasty NEIPA called Freestyle Juicy. Hazy orange, with lots of good citrus. Well balanced against the hops. Beer of the night.

(4) Terrapin’s Up-High IPA also did nothing for me.

(5) A really good Pilsner from Upland Brewing (Bloomington, IN) called Champagne Velvet. It takes a lot to get a Pils to wow me. This one did. Kinda full & silky up front, but with nice bite at the back end. Worth seeking out.
    I've had a limited # of beers from Upland Brewing and was impressed.

While I was unable to procure in time for Septemberfest, we found a six pack of OMB Mecktoberfest while shopping for saisons.

I’d crown this the best Octoberfest.

Nose is delightfully caramel, perhaps a bit of vanilla.

Silky liquid caramel is what OMB Mecktoberfest is all about.

There is a mild hop bitterness underlying the waves of caramel, which provides a bit of distraction at the front and back of each sip.

Cheers! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    While I was unable to procure in time for Septemberfest, we found a six pack of OMB Mecktoberfest while shopping for saisons.

I’d crown this the best Octoberfest.

Nose is delightfully caramel, perhaps a bit of vanilla.

Silky liquid caramel is what OMB Mecktoberfest is all about.

There is a mild hop bitterness underlying the waves of caramel, which provides a bit of distraction at the front and back of each sip.

Cheers! 🍻

Good find! Sounds much better than the Great Lakes Oktoberfest which was the #3 beer on beeradvocate's list of Top 100 Marzen/Oktoberfest brews.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    It has been at least 5 years since I've had NG Strawberry Rhubarb.

However, my dad found 2 4-packs of the batch of Strawberry Rhubarb brewed this summer. He is delivering it in October. I promise to write a review.

It's October...

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Where did duketaylor go? He hasn't posted here in a while...
    Ironic. Doesn't look like you'll be posting for "a while" either given your current status. WTH did you say/post?