Page 1081 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 81581981103110711079108010811082108310911131118115812081 ... LastLast
Results 21,601 to 21,620 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Just a little bit, although I did take *some* off your hands. Good to see you. And you probably search for PBC beer in vain. I *think* it is sold only at their tasting room/brewery located in the old Pinehurst steam house.
    Yea, 2/3 of the New Glarus order went/is going to RJ199 and fuse and 10 Virginia brews to RJ199, too, along with half a dozen personal traders.

Great to see you again. Thanks again for hosting Septemberfest AND the beer exchange today, fortunately at a considerably more *reputable* address than a couple prior gatherings.

I kinda figured that about the PBC brews. I've never seen any in the Raleigh area.

Prost!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

ATTN: fuse and RJ199

A third of the New Glarus order has been delivered to Winston-Salem, I have my third and hope to meet up with our third co-conspirator soon so we can soon declare open season on New Glarus brews, too.

Leveneleven Brewing, 1111 Coliseum Blvd. Greensboro

Believe it or not, the Greensboro Coliseum is directly across the street from this nanobrewery! Not the Natty Greene spot around the corner, that's more Ycch Beer, if you ask me.

Anyway, this place is owned by a guy who has a homebrew supply store next door in the strip shopping center that also houses a little bakery. Big Dan holds classes for folks wanting to make their own beer. Several of his students have won awards with their first batch. The brewing concern, bar and a few tables take up maybe 1200 square feet of space. It's not a pretty place, just a spot where Big Dan and his buddy Derrick can turn out some good beer and sell some. It's either on draft, or they sell crowlers to take out.

My wife, sister and I tried 'em out on Saturday and Sunday. Very good beer, folks! 1949, the Marzen-style Oktoberfest was rich and flavorful, 6.2 ABV, 23 IBU. The Glenwood and Gomorrah NEIPA, 6.6 and 29, was tasty as well. Not sweet with a fair hint of bitterness. More brown than orange in color. Regular IPA fans would like it, I think. The Witbier I'll have to try another time. After the Glenwood and Gomorrah, the 4.7% ABV and 15 IBUs tasted a bit weak. But the Farmhouse Ale, 5.7 and 28, was really good. Fruity. The pick of the litter, though was the Double Flippin, an Imperial Stout. Here's their description of it, 9.5 ABV and 68 IBUs:

"BIG and BOLD, this Imperial Stout is both dangerously delicious and intensely complicated! Five different roasted malts collide to impart rich base layers of black coffee and dark chocolate, with the harsh edges smoothed by caramel-toffee-sweet English crystal malts. But wait, there’s more… we also added Meadowfoam honey, known for its vanilla-marshmallow flavor. Most apparent on the aroma, but also in flavor, are waves of vanilla and toasted marshmallow all throughout the beer. Take a sip, find something new. Thanks to Darrel Flippin (Derrick’s dad) for helping us brew this one!"

Try 'em out. Cat 2 for all but the Imp, which is a Cat 3. No off tastes, the alcohol is beautifully hidden. Double Flippin won in its class at a state competition, can't remember the organization right now.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Believe it or not, the Greensboro Coliseum is directly across the street from this nanobrewery! Not the Natty Greene spot around the corner, that's more Ycch Beer, if you ask me.

Anyway, this place is owned by a guy who has a homebrew supply store next door in the strip shopping center that also houses a little bakery. Big Dan holds classes for folks wanting to make their own beer. Several of his students have won awards with their first batch. The brewing concern, bar and a few tables take up maybe 1200 square feet of space. It's not a pretty place, just a spot where Big Dan and his buddy Derrick can turn out some good beer and sell some. It's either on draft, or they sell crowlers to take out.

My wife, sister and I tried 'em out on Saturday and Sunday. Very good beer, folks! 1949, the Marzen-style Oktoberfest was rich and flavorful, 6.2 ABV, 23 IBU. The Glenwood and Gomorrah NEIPA, 6.6 and 29, was tasty as well. Not sweet with a fair hint of bitterness. More brown than orange in color. Regular IPA fans would like it, I think. The Witbier I'll have to try another time. After the Glenwood and Gomorrah, the 4.7% ABV and 15 IBUs tasted a bit weak. But the Farmhouse Ale, 5.7 and 28, was really good. Fruity. The pick of the litter, though was the Double Flippin, an Imperial Stout. Here's their description of it, 9.5 ABV and 68 IBUs:

"BIG and BOLD, this Imperial Stout is both dangerously delicious and intensely complicated! Five different roasted malts collide to impart rich base layers of black coffee and dark chocolate, with the harsh edges smoothed by caramel-toffee-sweet English crystal malts. But wait, there’s more… we also added Meadowfoam honey, known for its vanilla-marshmallow flavor. Most apparent on the aroma, but also in flavor, are waves of vanilla and toasted marshmallow all throughout the beer. Take a sip, find something new. Thanks to Darrel Flippin (Derrick’s dad) for helping us brew this one!"

Try 'em out. Cat 2 for all but the Imp, which is a Cat 3. No off tastes, the alcohol is beautifully hidden. Double Flippin won in its class at a state competition, can't remember the organization right now.
    I really have been meaning to get over there.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, 2/3 of the New Glarus order went/is going to RJ199 and fuse and 10 Virginia brews to RJ199, too, along with half a dozen personal traders.

Great to see you again. Thanks again for hosting Septemberfest AND the beer exchange today, fortunately at a considerably more *reputable* address than a couple prior gatherings.

I kinda figured that about the PBC brews. I've never seen any in the Raleigh area.

Prost!
    I’ll kick this off. Vasen Triple Berry Sour is terrific. Pours a nice hazy pink-purple. Nice tartness, and solid balance among all the various berry flavors. Some kick at 8.5% ABV. Probably just clears the Cat 3 threshold. Thanks to all those involved in getting one in my pint glass.

I’ll kick this off. Vasen Triple Berry Sour is terrific. Pours a nice hazy pink-purple. Nice tartness, and solid balance among all the various berry flavors. Some kick at 8.5% ABV. Probably just clears the Cat 3 threshold. Thanks to all those involved in getting one in my pint glass.
    Let the flood gates open wide on those Virginia beer reviews .

Happy to be of service.

A late entrant to the Septemberfest party:

Clawhammer-Highlands Brewing Company

Credit-trader from RJ199 today. Thanks!
    Filled on-07/14/19 (WTH? Brewed in July for October? Oh, never mind .)
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-medium amber
    Head-modest, foamy and off-white
    Aromas-toasted bread;earthy; light brown sugar
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-toasted wheat bread; light caramel; mild herbal hops/bitterness
    IBUs-20 (not listed but seemed to be a popular number on Saturday)
    ABV-5% but drinks a bit higher
    Overall impression-solid; good brew for the style
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse Cat 2

Now that I've had 4 recent Octoberfests, I'd slide this in just behind Munsterfest and slightly above Great Lakes Oktoberfest which was a half step above Franz.

From my Bottle Revolution email today:

"Bottle Rev turns 8 at the end of this month. On Friday, 9/27, we are celebrating as we usually do by tapping a bunch of delicious beer. We will have several rarities we’ve hidden away along with 2 brand new beers from our Friends at New Anthem!

Taplist Includes:
    Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett
    Crooked Stave Palisade Peach
    Epic Big Bad Baptista
    North Coast BA Old Rasputin
    Hofstettner Oktoberfest"

If you're in Raleigh, come join me for a pint Friday afternoon...

I'll endorse this post and add a few items:

Triple Berry Sour-Väsen Brewing Company

Credit-accfanfrom1970 who took several (samples) for the team with this one and others from Hardywood and Veil
    Format-Pint can
    Canned on-06 28 2019 0858
    Hops-Cascade
    Grains-Belgian Pilsner, Maris Otter, German Wheat, flaked oats
    Yeast-Belgian Saison
    IBUs-10ish
    Overall impression-excellent example of the the style which really should be listed as an imperial sour at that ABV
    Ymm, Beer rating-tough to debate the Cat 3 above

Many thanks to accfan for this selection, my first beer ever from Väsen. I'd certainly sample more.

I'll endorse this post and add a few items:

Triple Berry Sour-Väsen Brewing Company

Many thanks to accfan for this selection, my first beer ever from Väsen. I'd certainly sample more.
    I’ll be back, maybe before the Pitt game and check out their other offerings. I was pleasantly surprised at all the beers I tasted. And their place is beautiful, with indoor and outdoor seating. It is literally a 2-3 block walk from Veil to Ardent to Vasen.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’ll be back, maybe before the Pitt game and check out their other offerings. I was pleasantly surprised at all the beers I tasted. And their place is beautiful, with indoor and outdoor seating. It is literally a 2-3 block stumble from Veil to Ardent to Vasen.
    FIFY

I think we walked by it during our visit to Richmond in July.

Ah, FOMO...how I missed you 🤔🙄🤪

Reads really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ah, FOMO...how I missed you 🤔🙄🤪

Reads really tasty.
    1. Accfanfrom1970 said he's likely to visit Vasen (and maybe Veil and Hardywood) again before the Pitt game.

2. He's very likely to attend the Pitt game.

3. He's a good fellow and takes requests/orders seriously.

4. He enjoys spending other people's money on beer.

5. I *think* RJ199 will be attending the Pitt game, hopefully with his beer goddess.

6. You're invited to the Pitt game.

Should be no more FOMO for you, Charlie Brown.

1. Accfanfrom1970 said he's likely to visit Vasen (and maybe Veil and Hardywood) again before the Pitt game.

5. I *think* RJ199 will be attending the Pitt game, hopefully with his beer goddess.

FOMO no mo’ 🤣

https://oconnorbrewing.com/

Pulped Fiction blood orange berliner weisse release was this past weekend for any Virginia folks in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    https://oconnorbrewing.com/

Pulped Fiction blood orange berliner weisse release was this past weekend for any Virginia folks in the area.
    I'd suggest we send Bob Green on this mission but he's living the High Life...

Some options (in no particular order but, candidly, from someone who tends to watch football at home):

(1) Either of the Foothills locations (pub downtown on Fourth Street or their tasting room off of Jonestown).

(2) Camel City BBQ

(3) Quiet Pint Tavern

(4) The other breweries (Wise Man, Fiddlin' Fish, Incendiary).
    Thanks! Might try incendiary. Didn't get to visit them when I was passing through last time.

Yes to all of the above!

Wood Ya Honey - JackieO’s. Wheat wine style ale brewed with local wildflower honey, aged in bourbon barrels (10 months!) and conditioned on vanilla beans and orange peel. 13.1% abv. Poured dark golden brown, thick mouth feel. Caramel and bourbon up front, but not heavy like a stout. The finish has a hint of butterscotch, which has to be the honey and orange peel. Another drinkable dessert beer from the Athens Ohio brewery. Easy category 3. Just tasty with a depth of flavors.

Another Richmond Review

This time Veil’s Melancholia. That’s a misnomer, because this beer did not make me sad. Quite the opposite. A farmhouse style ale, it pours a bright but slightly hazy yellow. Medium size white head that lingers quite a while. My first tastes made me think this was a white ale, with a boatload of peppercorn. That mellowed over time and a touch more “funk” came along as it warmed. 6.5% ABV. Solid Cat 2.