Page 1078 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 78578978102810681076107710781079108010881128117815782078 ... LastLast
Results 21,541 to 21,560 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Beer for breakfast?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From last PM:

Terre Du Sauvage Red-Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company

Barrel-aged Farmhouse Sour Rye Ale

Shared tread with son of devildeac! Momma raised him well.

Poured into two snifters from a 750 ml bottle. Light golden-yellow in color with a bit of "chunk" that settled nicely as we sipped this over about 30 minutes. Immediate scents of wet hay, barnyard funk and white wine, followed by mildly sour/funky flavors with tart apples, underripe pears, white wine, wet wood and hay. I think it was oak barrel-aged only as wine barrels were not mentioned on the label. "Brettanomyces, lactobacillus and other yeasts" listed on the label as fermentation partners. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 6.5%, pretty standard for the style. I'd pair this with Italian dishes. Another outstanding beverage from one of the top 2-3 breweries in the Columbus area. Easy fuse Cat 3.

DBR Virtual Pub 9/21/19 — Septemberfest

Welcome to the last few days of summer! And to the 3rd installment of the Virtual Pub. Style of choice, of course, is Oktoberfest. I’ll start with the local favorite: Foothills

A standard seasonal from W’S’s most well-known brewery, it’s about as straight-down-the-middle as you get. A little darker in color than most (more brown than orange), with little head. Nice maltiness. A bit of an aftertaste. A good kickoff beer.

Prost, y’all!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Not quite ready to start yet.
    Looking forward to reading about others’ experience.

In the meantime, the two types of Octoberfest- who knew?

https://www.foodandwine.com/articles...toberfest-beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Understood. I’ll leave Clawhammer to you, even though I’m 1/3 of the way through one now....

Great find. I am certainly more edjumacated now.

I should have grabbed a couple German Oktoberfests yesterday.

Headed to an OSU tailgate now taking three Americanized German friends. Doubt I'll report anything until after about 7 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Understood. I’ll leave Clawhammer to you, even though I’m 1/3 of the way through one now...
    I’d welcome your thoughts, no need to wait on mine.

I’d welcome your thoughts, no need to wait on mine.
    Lighter in color. Less malty, more “crisp.” Not as much aftertaste. Probably give Clawhammer a slight edge.

Watching Beerland. Opened my 2018 Hardywood Rum Barrel Pumpkin. Farmhouse Pumpkin Ale aged in rum barrels. 12.3% abv, 21 ibu’s. This is a mellow, crisp ale with a dark molasses and brown sugar finish. I don’t eat pumpkin pie, or drink straight pumpkin beers. But this spiced so nicely and subtlety, it’s tasty and has such a great finish it’s awesome. I held onto this for a while not sure if I would drink it or gift it. It’s a 750ml bottle, and I will purchase it again in 2019 if offered. I don’t have an Oktoberfest beer, this is all I’m drinking today, although I wished I had another to share at the tailgate. Easily category 3.

DBR Virtual Pub 9/21/2019 Septemberfest

Let the games begin!

First up, the claimed original Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfestbier compared against Highlands Clawhammer.

The original is a beautfiul gold with a thick lasting head. Smells mildly skunked, no indication of age discernable.

Crisp german lager with some sweetness and just ephemeral bitterness from noble hops. Really tasty, surprisingly high ABV at 6.3%.

Contrast against clawhammer which pours a beautiful amber in the glass, almost like grade A maple syrup. Not much on the nose.
    Definitely hoppier- at first your tongue is greeted softly by a mild hoppiness ahead of the cascades of sweet biscuity malt washes to a sweet finish.

An intriguing comparison, with more to come. ��

9CF6D36F-D4B1-4933-B8E5-DC7A5B1594ED.jpg

DBR Virtual Pub 9/21/2019 Septemberfest

Round two
    Comparing Ayinger and Duck Rabbit

Where HB was bright gold, Ayinger is decidedly more of a copper colour.
    Duck Rabbit may be the darkest of the four so far, more like grade B maple syrup, a dark amber.

The Love Ninja has already declared Ayinger the winner of this round, expressing dislike for the Duck Rabbit flavour.

Ayinger smells like baking sweet rolls.
    Unlike some of the other Octoberfests, Ayinger finishes a little bitter and overall has a very honeyed taste.

Duck Rabbit also has a sweet nose, not cloying, still very prominent.
    Duck Rabbit isn’t noticably bitter and the finish is spicy.
    I say cinnamon, the Love Ninja disagrees. Certainly has a distinct “fall” flavour.

BEF1BA19-1767-4531-BBE6-C956751BC724.jpg

One fascinating subtext to note is both German fest beers (Hofbrau and Ayinger) know how to brew a beer that generates a wonderful frothy head.

Virtual Pub Septemberfest — Deep River Marzen

One fascinating subtext to note is both German fest beers (Hofbrau and Ayinger) know how to brew a beer that generates a wonderful frothy head.
    Speaking of frothy, long-lasting head, that’s Deep River’s Marzen. A color closer to Clawhammer than Foothills, the head lingers forever on this beer. It may be my favorite so far, with greater depth of flavor than the other two. Johnston County scores!

Speaking of frothy, long-lasting head, that’s Deep River’s Marzen. A color closer to Clawhammer than Foothills, the head lingers forever on this beer. It may be my favorite so far, with greater depth of flavor than the other two. Johnston County scores!
    I’ll never know 🙄😳😂😜

I’ll never know 🙄😳😂😜
    Your loss ....

Your loss ...
    All too true...

Virtual Pub Septemberfest— Sam Adam Oktoberfest

I know it’s cliche, but it’s also the seasonal brew on tap in our golf clubhouse. And the brewer and patriot makes a quality German lager. A brighter orange than the others, it strikes me as a little more sweet and less hoppy than some of the others. I only had one pint (not two or working on three). For nationwide distribution, though, this is quite a good beer.

DBR Virtual Pub 9/21/2019 - Septemberfest

Fest Marzen Lager - Narragansett - 5.5 % ABV - 22 IBU - $1.99 for 16 ounce can

Pours honey-colored amber, crystal clear. Nice thick lacy head that gently fades. The nose got better as it warmed - caramel malt.

It tastes toasty malt, biscuit flavor, with wet lemony hints. It finishes with a crisp, metallic bitterness, a little moreso than I would like.

Light body with moderate carbonation.

It didn't knock my socks off, so I'll go Fuse Category 1. But it's a good value.

Prost!

DBR Virtual Pub - 9/21/2019 - Septemberfest

Clawhammer - Highland Brewing - 5 % ABV - 25 IBU

Clear amber-orange in color. Smells like caramel and toasted malt.

The taste is sweet malt, caramel, honey, (almost reminds me some of Red Oak) beautifully balanced with some nice bitter hops.

Crisp with plenty of carbonation.

Very drinkable. I really like this beer. Fuse Category 2. I just haven't tasted enough Octoberfests yet to truly compare it, but this has to be a great one.