Page 1074 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 74574974102410641072107310741075107610841124117415742074 ... LastLast
Results 21,461 to 21,480 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Better late than never as I *think* fuse and Tripping William have both reviewed this but I'm not reading the 430 posts that came up with the fabulous () "search thread" feature using "super eight."

SuperEIGHT-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Traded 12 ounce can from August West on Saturday from his DFH mixed 12 pack. Thanks!!

A couple quotes from their web page:

"That same spirit can be found in our latest collaboration with the analog creators at Kodak."

and

"This sessionable super gose is brewed with eight heroic ingredients: prickly pear, mango, boysenberry, blackberry, raspberry, elderberry, kiwi juices, toasted quinoa and an ample addition of red Hawaiian sea salt! Okay, so technically that's nine, but it 'gose' without say that there's going to be salt."

Pour was a mildly cloudy cranberry hue with a modest fizzy, off-white head that dissipated quickly. Nose was sour/tart berry candies with a tingly tart/sour mouthfeel and tastes of Sour Patch berry kids (if such a flavor exists) along with some lemon-lime and hints of salt. If blind tasted, I *might* have guessed raspberries and blackberries (or blueberries) and papaya but even a WAG wouldn't had thought any other berries, kiwi and, never in a million guessed would I have thought toasted quinoa (WTH?). I'll guess 5 IBUs and the ABV is stated at 5.3%. Cat 2 which would have placed it mid-range on Ymm, Beer Gose Day. Solid, creative example of the style.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 5/13/19:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Imperial Vanilla Porter Aged in Rum Barrels-BreckInBevRidge Brewery

Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Story: The original version of this was probably one of my favorite beers a decade or more ago and become one of our son's favorites several years ago, too. He saw a 4 pack of this imperial rum barrel-aged version on the shelf of his favorite craft beer stores a couple months ago and asked my opinion. I reminded him Big Beer had bought Breckenridge Brewery several years ago and he put on his sad face and decided not to purchase. Well, when we visited last month and he had a $15-20 beer debt to me, he grabbed the $10.49 package and inquired again about the purchase and I agreed, knowing he'd get a couple bottles of a beer he really wanted. Wise move. Excellent elixir.

I poured this with vigor from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter and created a moderate, foamy tan head. Three aromas: vanilla, milk chocolate and Bacardi 151. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, but that's fine as it's a porter, not a stout. Robust baker's chocolate, vanilla and booze were the first tastes. There are hints of coffee (not added) dark caramel and wood, then more very warming rummy sensations. After about six ounces, I began to wonder whether I had floated a couple (?) tablespoons of Bacardi 151 onto a regular strength vanilla imperial porter. IBUs of 18 and the ABV is a warming and numbing 13.4% hence my 60 minute consumption time for this big sipper.

I've given richardjackson199 a fair amount of chain-yanking recently for his Wicked InBev Weed purchases, but, I'll shamelessly admit that this was an excellent beverage despite its AB-InBev ownership, made even better given the cost of $10.49 for the litter of 4.
    Currently showing:

Imperial Vanilla Porter Aged in Rum Barrels-BreckInBevRidge Brewery

Best Enjoy By 03/07/20 etched in barely readable form on the label, over top of the printed govmint warning

Yea, it's too warm to drink a big, boozy, dark beer late in summer but this one beckoned me tonight from the beer fridge.

I think little has changed after another 4 months in captivity, especially when unleashed into a new Stella snifter (thanks again, RJ199!!) and allowed to warm 15-30 minutes before sipping for another 45-60 minutes and allowing all the above aromas and tastes to shine. Sadly, this is my second and final bottle from the 4 pack split with our son in May and I think he has enjoyed it just as much as I have. Easy call here: Cat 3.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nightmare on Brett - Cherry - Dark Sour Ale aged in Leopold Bros Whiskey Barrels with Colorodo Sour Montmorency Cherries -Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - 9.666 % ABV -

This is extremely important if you drink this beer - they told me when I bought it at Stella and they were right: Pour it but let it warm for 5 minutes first. That really lets all the flavors come through. (Of course I tried it refrigerator cold as soon as I poured, but they were right - much much better after just 5 minutes).

Pour - So dark brown it's black opaque with a slight purple tint. Very thin mocha colored head which dies to nothing quickly.

Aroma - Sour cherries, Sour Balsamic Vinegar, and Earthy Oak. Strong, outstanding nose.

Taste - Beautifully complex. Some sweet dark cherry and light chocolate first, light whisky mellows, SO much barrel-oak wood flavor, Vanilla, light caramel malt, and then the finish is crazy tart sour cherry. The sour will pucker your mouth bigtime, but you will just love it and want more. It's a pleasing sour sensation. And it gets even better as you drink more and appreciate more.

Feel - medium to light body, dry, light but adequate carbonation. Very drinkable given how sour it is.

Overall - It's so good drinking it is almost sexual. Yes I said that so you can make fun of this post. It's bold, it's extreme tart sour like a sour man's sour. But the oaky complexity works REALLY well with these cherries. Beautiful balance. It's an amazing beer, but you have to like sours. I love them. Very very well done. Pretty good one to try if you want to try a serious Crooked Stave Sour. Damn that hit the spot. Oh yeah, fuse category 3. (and I might have another bottle or 2 for trading/sharing)
    Sheepishly raising my hand...😳
    Reads amazing.

Slightly Mighty-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Lo-cal IPA

Canned on
    04/03/19 09:27

Format: 12 ounce can; a trader from August West from his mixed 12 pack this weekend; Thanks!!
    Appearance: clear; light gold-yellow
    Head: thin, fizzy, short-lifespan
    Aromas: hints of pineapple, grapefruit and peaches
    Mouthfeel: soft and bubbly
    Tastes: mildly sweet and a bit more bitter than expected but not unpleasant; hints of pineapple, grapefruit, pine and stone fruits
    IBU: 30 or less
    ABV 4%
    Adjuncts: monk fruit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siraitia_grosvenorii)
    Calories: 95
    Carbs: 3.6
    Overall impression: very pleasant hot summer night ale; would sip again; fuse Cat 2

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sheepishly raising my hand...😳
    Reads amazing.
    Done. I have 2 bottles of this left - 1 for you and 1 for devildeac. It was very reasonably priced - not bad at all & Stella agreed. So a good call for a trader. Upon reflection, the whiskey flavor was the most subtle (meaning I couldn't really taste the whiskey, bourbon, or booze much at all, if any. But very oaky, complex, and whoa tart sour cherry comes on for a fun ride. Hope you enjoy! My first tailgate likely will be Pitt, if you do those. Otherwise I can either send yours with Devildeac when I see him very soon or I can schedule a trip to Raleigh & Bhavana to meet up. We'll figure it out. This sour should age well for a little while in my fridge. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Done. I have 2 bottles of this left - 1 for you and 1 for devildeac. It was very reasonably priced - not bad at all & Stella agreed. So a good call for a trader. Upon reflection, the whiskey flavor was the most subtle (meaning I couldn't really taste the whiskey, bourbon, or booze much at all, if any. But very oaky, complex, and whoa tart sour cherry comes on for a fun ride. Hope you enjoy! My first tailgate likely will be Pitt, if you do those. Otherwise I can either send yours with Devildeac when I see him very soon or I can schedule a trip to Raleigh & Bhavana to meet up. We'll figure it out. This sour should age well for a little while in my fridge. Cheers!
    I may have to do some upper extremity manipulation with fuse, without physical harm, of course. I think accfanfrom1970 has plans to attend the Pitt game also. I'll vouch for fuse that his traders and/or beer-hunting rarely disappoint (never say never; remember those Italian beers... ).

I may have to do some upper extremity manipulation with fuse, without physical harm, of course. I think accfanfrom1970 has plans to attend the Pitt game also. I'll vouch for fuse that his traders and/or beer-hunting rarely disappoint (never say never; remember those Italian beers... ).
    Every mistake is a learning opportunity.
    Just pontificate for a moment if it had not been bad; would we excitedly be buying Italian beer at $25 a twelve ounce bottle?

Every mistake is a learning opportunity.
    Just pontificate for a moment if it had not been bad; would we excitedly be buying Italian beer at $25 a twelve ounce bottle?
    Whoa! Let's not get too wild here.

Summer beer list:

https://blog.cheapism.com/summer-beers/

How many ya had?

Life & Limb collab

This was another trader from a client. The brewer's website says:

Life & Limb is a collaborative effort, the brainchild of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. and Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. Life & Limb is a 10% ABV strong, dark beer that defies style characteristics- brewed with pure maple syrup from the Calagione family farm in Massachusetts and estate barley grown on the Grossman "farm" at the brewery in Chico, CA. The beer is alive with yeast -- a blend of both breweries' house strains -- bottle conditioned for added complexity and shelf life, and naturally carbonated with birch syrup fresh from Alaska.
    Quite a unique beer. It pours the color of Coca-Cola, with a similar head on it. You get the syrup flavors on the palate, once you know they are there, you have to pay a fair bit of attention. It was more bitter than a brown ale, or than a Belgian dark strong, but not in the realm of a black IPA. As I said: "unique." Solid Cat 2, but I'm not sure I'd risk, well, ya know (), to track this down.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Quite a unique beer. It pours the color of Coca-Cola, with a similar head on it. You get the syrup flavors on the palate, once you know they are there, you have to pay a fair bit of attention. It was more bitter than a brown ale, or than a Belgian dark strong, but not in the realm of a black IPA. As I said: "unique." Solid Cat 2, but I'm not sure I'd risk, well, ya know (), to track this down.
    I really enjoyed the original release, enough to also buy a logo t-shirt.

Been reluctant to revisit for fear of memory prevailing as better than the present.

Summer beer list:

How many ya had?
    9/18.

Interesting list.

https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/t...-sep-sitename/

Openly weeping at having been to none of these places.
    At least one is close enough to validate.

Summer beer list:

How many ya had?
    9/18.

Interesting list.
    8/18 for me if you count each SA individually .

https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/t...-sep-sitename/

Openly weeping at having been to none of these places.
    At least one is close enough to validate.
    0/10 here, too, but our son was at BrewDog USA last month for his BIL's 30th birthday celebration and has strongly suggested we join them there later this year or next year.

I'm a bit surprised St Joseph's Brewery In The Annapolis wasn't listed as it's a brewery and restaurant inside an old church. Cool place, good beer and very tasty food, especially the poutine.

From 12/25/11(sorry, the quoting is a mess):

bluebeer wrote:Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life and Limb...Was extremely fortunate to get a bottle of this as my local store received a whopping 6 bottles of it. Not sure what availability is elsewhere but very limited up here in MA. 24 ounce bottle with probably the best label I have seen...
    http://www.life-limb.com/
    I guess I would cal this a barleywine or strong ale...Pours an imperial stout-like black though much thinner and with a very small head. Taste is extremely complex. Lots of sweet carmel malts but balanced well with a mild pine hoppy bite. I'm not sure if it's the birch but there is a fairly substantial earthiness/woody taste that reminds me a bit of some scotch ales. The maple syrup is very noticeable but also subtle enough to not overpower everything else. No alcohol bite despite the 10% ABV. This is easily one of the best beers I have had. I thought it would be very sweet but it is balanced just perfectly. I have 12 ounces to finish tonight and I will be quite sad when my glass is empty...

From 2/9/14:

Life and Limb 2 or 2011 edition-Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Brewing

I'm gonna quote bluebeer/bluebear with his original review of Life and Limb 1.0 from 2009 and then add a few thoughts of my own. His thoughts are on the money. I'd probably go with strong ale as it did not have the usually intense hop bitterness of a barleywine. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60 however. I doubt they varied the recipe much for this year's edition except I thought the pour was not quite a RIS-like black. Four of us split the $10 750 ml caged and corked bottle late this afternoon as we had our family gift exchange and everyone found it absolutely delightful by itself, slightly chilled from red wine glasses. I have another bottle and I do believe it will be cellared until Christmas, 2012 .

BTW, the fish are still swimming on the label on the link but I could not get mine to even budge on my label. Maybe if I had 3 or 4 of these they might start moving .
    Life and Limb (circa 2011)-Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head

Another beer from the cellar. This was a corked and caged 750 ml bottle divided over 2 nights and is probably best described as an American strong ale. Imperial brown ale might be another good way to think about this. Poured a dark, cloudy brown with aromas of dark fruits, rum, brown sugar and caramel with tastes to match, perhaps with a bit of chocolate and coffee, too. I was surprised to read the IBUs were 50 as this is loaded with 7 malts, including wheat and there was litter hop bitterness. It was a bit boozey at 10.2% ABV but incredibly smooth to sip. Forget about eating anything with this. It is dessert. This shows why high gravity brews like this or others are worth aging for a while.

http://www.life-limb.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

I almost bought another 4 pack of this last month (along with Boulevard's BBA Quad and/or Rye-On-Rye) but went with 4 packs of locals instead. It does sound intriguing. Something I'd buy as a single or trade for but likely not buy a 4 bagger after your review.

Namaste White-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Canned on
    04/04/19 15:05

Belgian-style Witbier

Trader from August West. Thanks!

Format: 12 ounce can
    Appearance: light gold-yellow; slightly cloudy
    Head: foamy, lacy; off-white
    Aromas: orange juice (not fresh) and spices
    Mouthfeel: bubbly and soft
    Tastes: dried, unsweetened orange slices with rinds, spice/coriander, black pepper
    Adjuncts: dried orange flesh and peel, lemongrass, coriander and peppercorns
    IBU: 20
    ABV: 4.8%
    Overall impression: a somewhat different white wheat beer given the adjuncts; a rather refreshing summer sipper
    Ymm, Beer rating: fuse Cat 2-don't think I'd buy a 6 or 12 pack of this but would pour another into a regular or shaped pint glass in about 5 seconds

For you "locals," Oktoberbeast is available at Harris Teeter in 4 packs of 16 ounce cans for a buck off at $7.99. Lower ABV than I remember at 6.2%.

Devildeac:
    I almost bought another 4 pack of this last month (along with Boulevard's BBA Quad and/or Rye-On-Rye).

If you can still get the Boulevard Rye on Rye I’ll take a 4-Pack. Sold out here. Cash or trade.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 09-13-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Devildeac:
    I almost bought another 4 pack of this last month (along with Boulevard's BBA Quad and/or Rye-On-Rye).

If you can still get the Boulevard Rye on Rye I’ll take a 4-Pack. Sold out here. Cash or trade.
    I'll look around this weekend.