Page 1069 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 69569969101910591067106810691070107110791119116915692069 ... LastLast
Results 21,361 to 21,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Someone must find this beer for Septemberfest:

Schnitzengiggles Festbier

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/357/137977/
    Kinda surprised they got away with that name.

I doubt its distributed in NC; their website was not super helpful, although it was full of similarly cleverly named beers.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Kinda surprised they got away with that name.

I doubt its distributed in NC; their website was not super helpful, although it was full of similarly cleverly named beers.
    Schnitzen is actually a German word that means to carve, based on Google translator. My recall of 3 years of German at Duke is very, very limited now.

There are a number of clever names on that beeradvocate top 100.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Gose Day Ymm Beer, Virtual Pub - 8.17.2019 - South Fork Grapefruit Gose Can - Booneshine Brewing

The pour looks identical to the NoDa Margarita I had earlier. It smells just as dd described. I agree with all of devildeac's review on this. Best gose I've had today, and I've had some very good ones. From the can - "Brewed with Carolina Malt Pils, white wheat, grapefruit puree, grapefruit oil, and yeast." I've never heard of grapefruit oil, but it works beautifully with this gose. This is really nice. I'm rating it Fuse Category 3, because they nailed it for this gose style. Props to Booneshine. Like the can says, this is very refreshing and would be perfect to sip in a tube while floating down the New River. Cheers!

And the Sandhagen - Assuncao fight is next on regular ESPN.
    From now; not a Gose Day beer but bought as a 4 pack at Peabody's in Boone by our older son-in-law and I was allowed to "borrow" a pint can:

South Fork Grapefruit Gose-Booneshine Brewing Company

No date on can.

RJ199's review is pretty complete so the only things I'll add will be an IBUs estimate at 5 with the ABV at 4.5%. I've also bolded the 2 above ingredients that were not listed on the brewery's tap list that night. I'm going to reserve my fuse Cat 3 for Founder's Mas Agave (up next) and Westbrook's Key Lime Gose but I'll put this easily in the upper tier of Cat 2 beers/goses. A very well conceived and executed beer.

BBA Sexual Chocolate 2019 will be released September 20-21.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Darn. That is the weekend before I will be in town

BTW, congrats on knocking me off of the podium...

I'm very grateful we have our beer scout in Richmond looking out for us.

My guess is that it will be a quality addition to the weekend haul and (hoping) Tripping William and RJ199 will be pleased, too.

Thanks!!
    Just reading about accfan's trip made me pleased. Eternally grateful and excited to try whatever is included.

Where did duketaylor go? He hasn't posted here in a while...

Thanks! Calendar marked and I will be at Foothills! I was looking for a reason to get back there anyway.

Saison Vieille - Strong Sour Ale aged in Sherry Barrels - Brasserie Trois Dames - 8% ABV

Pour - reddish brown with 1 inch lacey head that stays a while. Smells like sherry oak and vinegar.

The taste is complex. I can't really tell you what all it tastes like. When they say strong sour ale, they aren't kidding. It's pretty strong apple cider vinegar tart dominating for me. I had trouble appreciating much else. It's oaky. I thought it tasted more sour than saison. But I guess I could pick up some dry wine barrels. Maybe I should have let it warm more. Stella was excited about this, and I was pretty excited about the Sherry barrels. But honestly I thought that cognac one was much much better.

This is a good beer of course. Fuse Category 2. I have one more bottle if somebody wants to try it for a trade or whatever. But you'd need to really like sours I'd say.

Does Foothills have a Septemberfest brew you can sample and review while you're waiting in line for our, err, your allotment?

Does Foothills have a Septemberfest brew you can sample and review while you're waiting in line for our, err, your allotment?
    Of course! Their Oktoberfest made the beeradvocate top 100 list! I'll get some to share/swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Darn. That is the weekend before I will be in town

BTW, congrats on knocking me off of the podium...

AFAIK, we do not have a relegation policy on Ymm, Beer .

Just reading about accfan's trip made me pleased. Eternally grateful and excited to try whatever is included.
    I've been checking the Veil to-go list every few days. Today they listed 12 brews available in cans . I'll be waiting for a text tomorrow when our agent visits Veil with his 14' truck to pick up our order. Some of those brews will not make the cut .

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Where did duketaylor go? He hasn't posted here in a while...
    Last time I heard from him on DBR he was inquiring if anyone knew any attorneys in NOVA...

Saison Vieille - Strong Sour Ale aged in Sherry Barrels - Brasserie Trois Dames - 8% ABV

Pour - reddish brown with 1 inch lacey head that stays a while. Smells like sherry oak and vinegar.

The taste is complex. I can't really tell you what all it tastes like. When they say strong sour ale, they aren't kidding. It's pretty strong apple cider vinegar tart dominating for me. I had trouble appreciating much else. It's oaky. I thought it tasted more sour than saison. But I guess I could pick up some dry wine barrels. Maybe I should have let it warm more. Stella was excited about this, and I was pretty excited about the Sherry barrels. But honestly I thought that cognac one was much much better.

This is a good beer of course. Fuse Category 2. I have one more bottle if somebody wants to try it for a trade or whatever. But you'd need to really like sours I'd say.
    250px-LMADlogo2011.jpg

Of course! Their Oktoberfest made the beeradvocate top 100 list! I'll get some to share/swap.
    Hmm, I *might* return from Ohio with some "extras" depending on what/how many are available...

From 6/27/19:

Más Agave-Founders Brewing Company

I had my doubts about this one but they've all been dispelled.

It's an imperial lime gose brewed with agave and then aged in tequila barrels and is superb.

I sort of equally divided a 12 ounce bottle over two nights and was rewarded with a mildly hazy, amber pour with a small, off-white head that quickly disappeared. "Wasted Away Again in Margaritaville" comes to mind with the aromas of freshly squeezed lime juice, followed by dark caramel/sugar syrup and a gold tequila. It really tasted like a freshly made margarita with plenty of tangy/tart/sour lime flavors, to accompany the caramel/brown sugary sweetness, a modest amount of salt, wet wood and a good quality tequila (of which I know very few ). I'll guess the IBUs about 10 and the ABV is 10% so a rather high octane gose and there aren't many of those I've tasted either. I guess it could be paired with almost any fresh seafood or some flip flops, a beach chair, an umbrella and a generous slathering of SPF 50. Three remain from the $18ish 4 pack for sharing/trading. Worth seeking out.

I believe it's davec's turn now...
    From now:

Mas Agave-Mahou San Miguel, err, Founders Brewing Company

Worth repeating. Everything above still holds true without any deterioration in quality over the ensuing 2.5 months since first tasted/reviewed. A marvelous beer. Fuse Cat 3.

If you're wandering through your local supermarket, craft beer store or Total Wine and see a bottle/4 pack of this, don't hesitate for a moment before putting it in your cart, even with its April, 2019 dating, IIRC.

Going through some archived posts (yes, that is indeed crazietalk), I counted 11 Octoberfest brews that I've had in about 9 years.

La Folie - New Belgium Brewing - Sour - 7% ABV - 18 IBU -

Ruby dark brown mahogany with quickly fading thin head.

Tart aroma.

What a great sour beer. It's a nicely complex taste with tart cherry, oak, plum skin notes Untapped tells me - sure, changing to a fun faint chocolate and maybe hint of raspberry. It finishes sour. Good balance.

Fuse Category 2 - a great beer, and I liked this better than the sherry barrel sour I reviewed above. Is this the same New Belgium that makes Fat Tire. I don't believe that. This was good.

La Folie - New Belgium Brewing - Sour - 7% ABV - 18 IBU -

Ruby dark brown mahogany with quickly fading thin head.

Tart aroma.

What a great sour beer. It's a nicely complex taste with tart cherry, oak, plum skin notes Untapped tells me - sure, changing to a fun faint chocolate and maybe hint of raspberry. It finishes sour. Good balance.

Fuse Category 2 - a great beer, and I liked this better than the sherry barrel sour I reviewed above. Is this the same New Belgium that makes Fat Tire. I don't believe that. This was good.
    This, along with Le Terroir, are among my (many) favorite beers.

This, and Rodenbach, were the two that opened my eyes on how much I enjoy sour beer.