Page 1063 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 63563963101310531061106210631064106510731113116315632063 ... LastLast
Results 21,241 to 21,260 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

BBA People’s Porter remains terrific after laying down a year or so. That is all.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    BBA People’s Porter remains terrific after laying down a year or so. That is all.
    Guess this means its time to keep an eye out for this years release (I think BBA Porter is fall timeframe).

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Guess this means its time to keep an eye out for this years release (I think BBA Porter is fall timeframe).
    Yes, typically fall.

Already planning my next venture to Foothills to find some version of this! You know I'll probably rate it Fuse 3 on general principal. Their Serious take on cheap bar food and some world class beer on draft is enough for me to get back to 4th Street.

Here's hoping this is epic.

Haw River released a 4 pack of 16oz cans called White, Green, Red, and Smoke as "Tasseography".
    Haw River is a bit notorious in my mind for poor website and info on their beer in general.

The base beer is the same "rustic saison".

White - white tea peony and white peppercorn
    Green - gunpowder green tea and green peppercorn
    Red- red roiboos tea and sichuan red peppercorn
    Smoke - smoked lapsang souchong and smoked peppercorns

Visually, White and Green are similar/identical.
    Red looks like an amber/red ale like Killians.
    Smoke is just a shade deeper gold than White or Green.

The nose on white and green are very saison-y- mild funky grassy hay.
    Red's nose is spicy.
    Smoke's nose is, as expected, smoky.

White tastes like a fairly straightforward saison, with maybe a hint of unexpected sweetness.

Green the peppercorn is pronounced, adding a nice twist to the bevy of saison goodness.

Red's flavour is unusual- there is some sweetness, but the sichuan pepper adds a mild heat. Nothing unpleasant. If you are not familiar with how rooibos tea tastes, you’ll be in for a treat as it becomes more prevalent as the beer warms.
    The heat is not particularly subtle as an aftertaste. A really intriguing beer that stands alone nicely, also would pair with a variety of food.

Smoke might be the perfect beer to pair with NC barbeque. The nose is a slow burning coal grille, and the smoke is the dominant flavour in the beer. This is a beer that cries out for food. Enjoyable on its own nonetheless.

A 64oz tasting is no joke, and I am grateful for the Love Ninja's involvement.

Haw River makes amazing beer, and the Tasseography project is no exception.
    Attachment 9697
    Attachment 9698
    Tasseography Project-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

After sipping our way through this tonight during and after dinner (three of us; 90 minutes, maybe more), I don't think I'm capable of adding anything to fuse's superb post above except:

1. The ABV are all about 5.5-5.8%.

2. The "heat" from the Red was quite subdued.

3. We all really, really wanted a half rack of ribs, some brisket and/or a plate of pulled pork (instead of our fresh NC corn, shrimp and crab cakes which were outstanding) with the Smoke.

4. I am very, very grateful to fuse for searching out another 4 pack of this and including it in our recent trading session. Many thanks again!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I wonder where the finance component comes in, and if these halo beers are priced appropriately.

While I can’t imagine Founder’s loses money on CBS, I bet the margin is much thinner.
    My 2016 (?) and 2018 (?) bottles (750 ml) were $24 and $30, respectively. I saw the 2018 for $15 for a 10 ounce snifter () and $35 () for the 750 ml bottle earlier this year. I passed on both.

Delirium Tremens - Huyghe Brewery - Belgian - 8.5 % ABV - 26 IBU - Pint Can $4.99

Beautiful pour - clear golden with a fluffy white head. The little bubbles continued to rise like a display fountain. I thought it was aromatic - floral, banana, Belgiany - made me excited to taste.
    The taste was simple, but just outstanding. Damn what a Belgian. Light sweetness, malt, Belgian, some clove, mild pepper, but oh so drinkable. Very pleasant mildly bitter aftertaste.

Absolutely this was one of the best Belgians I've had. Very pleasant. It's better than Allagash Curieux (different I know). It's better than Duvel.

It's simple, but spectacular and world class IMO. Fuse Category 3 if you like Belgian.

[QUOTE=richardjackson199;1181988]Delirium Tremens - Huyghe Brewery - Belgian - 8.5 % ABV - 26 IBU

Absolutely this was one of the best Belgians I've had. Very pleasant. It's better than Allagash Curieux (different I know).

I’m in. Anything better than the Crueux? I’m all in.

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1181989]
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Delirium Tremens - Huyghe Brewery - Belgian - 8.5 % ABV - 26 IBU

Absolutely this was one of the best Belgians I've had. Very pleasant. It's better than Allagash Curieux (different I know).

I'll try to get another can of this at Stella for you. I think it's better in the can than the bottle. It's very different from Curieux, so maybe I shouldn't have compared. Curieux is BBA, this is not. But if you like Belgian, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

[QUOTE=richardjackson199;1181990]
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post

I'll try to get another can of this at Stella for you. I think it's better in the can than the bottle. It's very different from Curieux, so maybe I shouldn't have compared. Curieux is BBA, this is not. But if you like Belgian, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    I like Belgian. Before BBA there was Belgian. Thanks.

Delirium Tremens - Huyghe Brewery - Belgian - 8.5 % ABV - 26 IBU - Pint Can $4.99

Beautiful pour - clear golden with a fluffy white head. The little bubbles continued to rise like a display fountain. I thought it was aromatic - floral, banana, Belgiany - made me excited to taste.
    The taste was simple, but just outstanding. Damn what a Belgian. Light sweetness, malt, Belgian, some clove, mild pepper, but oh so drinkable. Very pleasant mildly bitter aftertaste.

Absolutely this was one of the best Belgians I've had. Very pleasant. It's better than Allagash Curieux (different I know). It's better than Duvel.

It's simple, but spectacular and world class IMO. Fuse Category 3 if you like Belgian.
    Excellent choice. An absolute classic Belgian ale. Haven't had one in several years. Waaaay too many other brews/breweries to try. You'll have to try some of the other Delirium variants, especially Delirium Noel and Delirium Nocturnum.

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1181989]
    Delirium Tremens - Huyghe Brewery - Belgian - 8.5 % ABV - 26 IBU

Delirium Tremens should be available at Total Wine and almost any good craft beer store in your area (yea, parse/interpret/re-construct this sentence any way you'd like ).

[QUOTE=devildeac;1181996]
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post

Delirium Tremens should be available at Total Wine and almost any good craft beer store in your area (yea, parse/interpret/re-construct this sentence any way you'd like ).
    Good to know! The Dash has Total Wine if Stella is out. accfan, I'm finding you one of these cans with the pink elephant on the front. Save your gas for Ardent/Veil/Hardywood.

Glad I only got one for me. It's so good it's dangerous and too many could bring out the pink elephants.

I'm going to look for those variants, too DD whenever they come out.

This might be among my better half’s favorite beers.

While it has been a while, I think you are ok to something with the can and bottle observations.
    Not quite as distinct as Stella in cans (due to green glass bottles, not brown).

[QUOTE=richardjackson199;1181999]
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Good to know! The Dash has Total Wine if Stella is out. accfan, I'm finding you one of these cans with the pink elephant on the front. Save your gas for Ardent/Veil/Hardywood.

Glad I only got one for me. It's so good it's dangerous and too many could bring out the pink elephants.

Keep an eye out for Delerium Red as well.

[QUOTE=richardjackson199;1181999]

Believe Whole Foods also stocks Delirium.

[QUOTE=fuse;1182007]

Keep an eye out for Delerium Red as well.
    Good call. I had forgotten that one.

[QUOTE=Tripping William;1182008]

Believe Whole Foods also stocks Delirium.
    Such a hipster.

[QUOTE=devildeac;1182014]

Such a hipster.

Alas, I admit it.

My 2016 (?) and 2018 (?) bottles (750 ml) were $24 and $30, respectively. I saw the 2018 for $15 for a 10 ounce snifter () and $35 () for the 750 ml bottle earlier this year. I passed on both.
    You are talking about retail pricing, which because of the three tier system may have little or no correlation to brewer profit.

This is why the barrel limit before you have to sell through a wholesaler matters to breweries.

With totally made up mythical numbers, kept small to keep it simple.

Three numbers per barrel:
    Cost to brewer to make
    Cost brewer sells to wholesaler
    Retail

Pale Ale $50 | $75 | $80
    DIPA $75 | $95 | $100
    BBA Stout $125 | $130 | $150

If you look above, the margin is higher on a simpler beer (less malt, less hops, less cost).

In reality, I have no concrete detail.
    My understanding is the brewery has to control cost in order to maintain the margin against what a wholesaler will pay. Retail is a whole other ballgame based on how much business you do with a wholesaler.

I guess said more simply, just because a beer is more expensive doesn’t mean its more profitable for the brewery.