Page 105 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 555951031041051061071151552056051105 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Um, what beer best helps soothe Psycho T never losing in Cameron
    try to find the most bitter beer in America

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    try to find the most bitter beer in America
    Ahh, a barleywine he says

To be fair, Duke has never had an answer for TH. I mean, God made man by mixing Hansbrough sweat with clay. How can we compete with that? Barleywine it is.

To be fair, Duke has never had an answer for TH. I mean, God made man by mixing Hansbrough sweat with clay. How can we compete with that? Barleywine it is.
    I'd try to find a bottle of Alimony Ale, if it is still brewed. The writing on the bottle described it as the "bitterest beer in America." Some guy formulated the recipe after a nasty divorce.

We needed a PG tonight...

I'm sure you guys have already covered it but I just discovered these guys. Love the Red Tail Ale. The White Owl IPA is good. Steer clear of the Eye of the Hawk Select Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Any tips for the best way to store unfinished bombers or 750mls? Just cork them in stick them in the fridge? With a new baby, I've been shying away from buying many big beers but my local source has so many good options right now..
    Your best solution is to pump and dump.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I'm sure you guys have already covered it but I just discovered these guys. Love the Red Tail Ale. The White Owl IPA is good. Steer clear of the Eye of the Hawk Select Ale.
    I actually like the Eye of the Hawk. It's their highest ABV I believe. (8%)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I actually like the Eye of the Hawk. It's their highest ABV I believe. (8%)
    Agreed. One of my favorite west coast brews. The anniversary ale is even better and a bit higher ABV at 9%, IIRC.

Oh, why not start a little imperial series here. 1st up is Big Hoppy Monster, an imperial red ale from the Terrapin Beer Company in Athens, Georgia. BUT, wait! It's brewed by Frederick Brewing Company in Frederick, MD. Yea, I know, contract brewing but what a strange combination of names/places. If I hadn't read the label, I would have thought this was an IPA. Grassy, piney hop nose/taste with citrus zestiness but it is well-balanced by a generous amount of malt, I'd guess a mixture of caramel and other malts. Fairly smooth. It has a faint reminder of Killian's or the Mishawaka red ales with a bit of sweetness. As the bottle says: Watch Out! This Monster Bites! And at 8.3% ABV, they are correct. Not sure I've ever had an IRA but this one would be great with ribs/burgers or other grilling/cookout fare. Saving one each for CB&B and Lavabe. I think.

Thumbs up Sweetwater News

Looks like Sweetwater found a distributor in Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte.

Of course, we can't mention some of the names of their brews on the DBR.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Saving one each for CB&B and Lavabe. I think.
    Sounds good to me. It's been a loooong time since I had a Terrapin. The hippie in me always reaches for one, but the budgeting lord of the wallet often throws a diving block of prevention. I love the imperial push. I'll have to see if I can contribute sometime this weekend. (Going to brew shop tomorrow, besides supplies, he has a pretty good selection of 6 packs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

In honor of just having a really awesome Friday the 13th, I'm going to go start Saturday the 14th celebrating in the bath tub with a Victory Old Horizontal. Excellent days call for excellent beers. Beats the hell out of Calgon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Looks like Sweetwater found a distributor in Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte.

Of course, we can't mention some of the names of their brews on the DBR.
    Go ahead, I Double Dog Pale Ale dare you...

Imperial brew #2. Paging RMD. I may have found a pilsner that will tickle your palate. Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner. Loaded with Hallertau hops which are a bit sprucey and very floral. Really no citrus in this one. If I hadn't read the label, I would have sworn IPA here. This one would be really a nice beverage with grilled chicken/specialty chicken dishes, grilled fish/seafood entrees. Lavabe and CB&B will also find one of these in their Easter baskets. 8.1% ABV.

Got a lot of tasting done today, I love Harris Teeter's selection. First up is Sierra's Bigfoot 2009. This has been reviewed before, and is a favorite of Devildeac. I was happy to see they stock 6 packs. A classic sipper, this barleywine style ale has a great color top and bottom. A rich dark amber, pretty to look at held up to the light, the head is a nice soft tan foam, with good retention as it holds the sides of the glass. High ABV, it has a nice fruity flavor, reminscent of a merlot wine. I'll see how long I can hold on to one of them, but as long as they sell 6 packs nearby, I'm not giving good odds on the shelf life in my house.

bumpity, bump, bump, bump. Beeeeeerrrrr, it's what's for supper : )

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Got a lot of tasting done today, I love Harris Teeter's selection. First up is Sierra's Bigfoot 2009. This has been reviewed before, and is a favorite of Devildeac. I was happy to see they stock 6 packs. A classic sipper, this barleywine style ale has a great color top and bottom. A rich dark amber, pretty to look at held up to the light, the head is a nice soft tan foam, with good retention as it holds the sides of the glass. High ABV, it has a nice fruity flavor, reminscent of a merlot wine. I'll see how long I can hold on to one of them, but as long as they sell 6 packs nearby, I'm not giving good odds on the shelf life in my house.
    I had one of these over the weekend as well and thought it was excellent..a little less bitter than other barleywines that I've had recently (old Ruffian)..might pick up a few more..
    I also had Founders Double Trouble which is a very nice Imperial Pale Ale..Didn't like it as much as DFH 90 minute but still very good. If the store keeps it in stock, I'll probably make it a spring regular..

Imperial #3-a few days late: 90 Minute IPA from the folks at DFH. They advertise on the bottle that it is the best IPA in America, or something like that. Darn good stuff. Think I reviewed one last year but it's tasty enough to review one from 2009 also. Just about all the things you'd expect from an IIPA. Massive hop presence with an IBU of about 90, IIRC. Good malt balance. Grapefruity and a bit sprucey. 9% ABV so you could enjoy this in a pint glass or a snifter. $8.99 for a 4 pack but a nice treat for yourself or a friend or two. I'll save one of these for CB&B if he can't find one at Harris Teeter at the coast-maybe.

Oak Aged Yeti

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Stout--Had one of these last night and it was fantastic..Black, thick and very smooth. Chocolaty and a bit sweet but not in an alcohol way (DHF world wide stout)..Could be the best imperial stout I've tried to date...

Morehead City Alt Bier-aka CB&B's homebrew of the old German style-Nicely done. A bit darker than most alt biers but just as toasty and bready and just as sweet/malty. Not much bite but it's not supposed to have much bitterness.
    Nice combination with a sammich or some cheese (mild) and crackers. Modest ABV-I'd guess about 5%. I'll save one for 30-60 days from now and, yes, one for Lavabe during our next beer exchange.