Page 1030 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3053093098010201028102910301031103210401080113015302030 ... LastLast
Results 20,581 to 20,600 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    First beer from the Veil Brewing - thanks to devildeac's Richmond run:

yellowferrari - DIPA - 8% ABV - "hopped with Galaxy and El Dorado"

I've never had one quite like this. Creamy and sweet such that it smells and tastes like a lemon-orange sherbet - seriously juicy citrus. It's a great beer. It's a little too dank (but just barely to nitpick), so I'm not sure the hop/flavor combination balances just right. Tough to do with this much juicy fruit and pretty bitter as well. Nicely done though - it's a fantastic beer. And the juiciest beer I've ever had. Just smelling it you know you're in for something unique and special. Nice dry finish and lingering aftertaste. I"ll rate it 4.25, easily. Can't wait to taste the others!
    yellowferrari-The Veil Brewing Company

(from bottom of can)

07/01/19
    04:07:29

Bought on July 6, so 5 days after canning and tasted <1 month after packaging. Drink fresh! Drink local!

Another pint can, poured with enthusiasm into a pint glass in fairly equal installments. Some orange hues blended in with the sunshine yellow color. Hazy with a modest, creamy head. The lemon-orange sherbet is a great description with maybe some pineapple sauce and hints of piney dankness/bitterness and juicy sweetness. Perhaps a tad more bitter than Hit Me Up (HMU) but not unpleasant. I'll guess IBUs around 60-70, right in the IIPA wheelhouse, along with the pretty standard ABV of 8%. This is a better beer than the Cloud Wanker, err Walker, and perhaps a shade less enjoyable than the HMU but still an excellent beverage. Not quite worthy of a @#$% *&^% but worth seeking out. BTW, they also make a "smaller" version of this called yellowmiata. Seriously.

Accfanfrom1970 also deserved a loud shout-out, too, for going the extra mile after work to have a beverage or two with us that evening at The Veil and highly recommending our meet-up there. This is an outstanding brewery.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Vuilbaard - Haw River - 7% ABV - 8 IBU - Mixed Culture Sour Brown Ale - Flanders OUD Bruin - aged 24 months in American oak barrels

It's super smooth and balanced, but actually too smooth and balanced IMO. It tastes sour with a good balance of very malty, oaky, and tart cherries. The tart cherry finish and tart cherry, sour aroma are the best parts of this beer IMO.

Haw River makes outstanding beer and this is no exception. Stella had it discounted and I'm thrilled I got it. But after last night's tasting, I do like sours a little stronger. I felt like the Bhavana Sylvan 2018 I had last night was significantly better and in a different league. Compared to that, this one almost tastes watered down. But that is too harsh a criticism, it's a great beer. So I'll rate this Fuse Category 2 - I cannot say Holy S** get it. But it's nice, complex, and well executed - so an enjoyable beer. I love me some tart cherries in a sour. TGIF with a full fridge.
    You must have taken the penultimate bottle, because I think I bought the last one. Great minds ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

SoPines Capri IPA

Run, don’t walk, to find this. Picked it up from my gal, Stella (who appears to be two-timing me with RJ99). A milk-shakey NEIPA. Fermented on passionfruit, dragonfruit, mango, and peach purée. Rakau, Citra, and Mosaic hops. Only 19 IBU’s, but the fruit flavors are amazing in this beer. 6.8% ABV, and the can even has a little black dot that says “Insert Straw Here.” Another step forward for SoPines.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

10/52-Bright Penny Brewing Company

Drink local!

New brewery alert in Mebane, NC that our older daughter and husband discovered about a month ago and manipulated the right upper extremity until it hurt on the return trip of a family outing today.

This was a shared pint.

Style: hefeweizen
    Appearance: cloudy orange-yellow with a one-fingered head
    Nose: bananas, oranges and cloves (none added)
    Palate: same as the aromas with minimal bitterness
    IBU: 14
    ABV: 5.3%
    Overall impression: nicely represents the style in a quite crowded field
    Fuse Category: better than a 1 but not worthy of a 2

IPA Batch 1-Bright Penny Brewing Company

Still local

Another shared pint.

Today, they released 4 beers after their original porter they've had on tap since they opened a couple months ago. Guest taps have kept them in business until all NC ABC laws were met I think.

Pour was a cloudy pineapple-yellow with a modest creamy head. This could pass for a "hybrid" IPA, meaning some scents of pineapple and grapefruits along with some resin and pine with tastes to match. Or, like somebody blended a traditional American IPA with a NEIPA. Moderately bitter but balance was good with 60 IBUs and 6.5% ABV. I'd pair with some mildly spicy dishes but would be friendly with sweet and sour entrees, too.

Overall, a good brewery with room to grow/improve. Friendly staff and some of their late lunch/early dinner food offerings looked appealing.

Did an informal 7 beer tasting with a group of friends last night.

The one thing I learned is when my palate is already wrecked, trying to identify any beer, much less blindly, is well nigh impossible.

I nailed Red Oak (all were NC beers), the others I was 0 for 6.

It was all in good fun.

Rewind - Birdsong Brewing - Czech-style Pilsner - 4 % ABV - 22 IBU. I got this on draft at you know where.

Props to Tripping William for this rec, this is an excellent pilsner. It pours a clear gold.

It's super crisp, clean, and refreshing. It's a great beer for a hot, summer day.

If you like pilsner, and I do, this is a good one. Fuse Category 2.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Did an informal 7 beer tasting with a group of friends last night.

The one thing I learned is when my palate is already wrecked, trying to identify any beer, much less blindly, is well nigh impossible.

I nailed Red Oak (all were NC beers), the others I was 0 for 6.

It was all in good fun.
    I often wonder (fear?) how I'd perform in a setting/tasting like that.

Yes New Sarum had the Milkshake Berlinerweisse with Blueberries, Blackberries, and Lactose. It was outstanding and highly recommended.

And speaking of berries:

The Veil (Collaboration with Angry Chair Brewing) - Eager to Bleed - Berlinerweisse - 8% ABV - This is the first beer I've had that my wife actually likes. It's tart raspberries done right with a perfect balance to sour finish. It also has Blood Orange and sweet cherry. Pour is a beautiful heavy red. It's smooth and just sensational. So much better than that Soggy Purple raspberry I tried from New Anthem. Be careful, it goes down quickly. Hard to believe it's beer - but it is and does taste like a very smooth raspberry berlinerweisse. Highly recommended - 4.75
    Eager to Bleed-The Veil Brewing in Collaboration with Angry Chair Brewing

On bottom of pint can:

07/02/1 9
    04:35:smudge 2

Hey, RJ199, I'm not convinced this was beer. Looked/smelled/tasted more like raspberry/cherry sherbet to me .

Appearance: raspberry sherbet
    Aromas: the same with cherry syrup
    Mouthfeel: thick, viscous, creamy; a Berlinerweisse milkshake?
    Tastes: raspberry (maybe ), tart/sweet cherries, maybe hints of orange, cream
    IBU: 10
    ABV: 8% (it's an imperial Berlinerweisse; the usual ABV for the style is 3-4%)
    Overall impression: RJ199 underrated this ; this is an amazing beer; it's a totally different style than Raspberry Tart but the flavors are sensational

Yes, fuse, there is one of these already included in your trader, but, don't believe the hype...

Pick Your Own - Allagash - 6% ABV - sour wild ale aged in oak barrels with cherries, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries

The pour is a cranberry red - great looking beer. From the bottle "aged with Lactobacillus and Pediococcus for 2 years. ...aged an additional 3 months after adding the fruit and berries. As you might expect, berries fill the flavor. Pick Your Own finishes dry with notes of bread crust and a lingering, tart juiciness."

I can taste the strawberries and raspberries as both most dominant. My wife thought the taste was more cherry which comes first. I don't taste blueberry. It mixes berry sweet and light lactic sour well. Both the sour and the tart are mild, not strong and not really funky.

It's refreshing and easy to drink.

I'll rate it Fuse Category 2. But if you love strawberries you'd probably rate it much higher. This is a highly rated beer. I liked the Nancy better, but I love cherries. Glad I found this one and picked my own.

Pick Your Own - Allagash - 6% ABV - sour wild ale aged in oak barrels with cherries, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries

The pour is a cranberry red - great looking beer. From the bottle "aged with Lactobacillus and Pediococcus for 2 years. ...aged an additional 3 months after adding the fruit and berries. As you might expect, berries fill the flavor. Pick Your Own finishes dry with notes of bread crust and a lingering, tart juiciness."

I can taste the strawberries and raspberries as both most dominant. My wife thought the taste was more cherry which comes first. I don't taste blueberry. It mixes berry sweet and light lactic sour well. Both the sour and the tart are mild, not strong and not really funky.

It's refreshing and easy to drink.

I'll rate it Fuse Category 2. But if you love strawberries you'd probably rate it much higher. This is a highly rated beer. I liked the Nancy better, but I love cherries. Glad I found this one and picked my own.
    Yet another tantalizing sounding Allagash sour berry ale. (wipes drool from chin before it drips onto keyboard )

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Eager to Bleed-The Veil Brewing in Collaboration with Angry Chair Brewing

Hey, RJ199, I'm not convinced this was beer. Looked/smelled/tasted more like raspberry/cherry sherbet to me .

that would definitely explain why Jenn liked it. It's probably the last one she liked, but I keep trying

For those who might wonder about all the fruited Berlinerweisse ales we taste/review:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

"Berliner Weisse is often served in a bowl-shaped glass with flavoured syrups, such as raspberry (Himbeersirup), or artificial woodruff flavouring (Waldmeistersirup). The beer may also be mixed with other drinks, such as pale lager, in order to balance the sourness."

220px-Berliner_Weisse_mit_Strohhalm.jpg

Abrico - Oxbow Brewing - 6.5 % ABV - Mixed fermentation stainless aged farmhouse ale aged on apricots

The appearance is straw yellow and opaque. The smell is sour apple and apricot. The taste is a complex, funky, with beautifully balanced and prominent freshly-cut apricot. It starts sour and then the strong apricot wave comes through and persists.

Fuse Category 1. This one is fun

<snip>

Another great beer from DD's Veil run. This one is also not a NEIPA:

Dusty Roadz - The Veil Brewing - American Pale Ale - 5.2 % ABV -

Veil lists it as their first and maybe only pale ale brewed. It's great, and I'm glad I tried it. Taste starts off bitter, hoppy, dank, and piney, BUT then moves to citrus and dry. Low carbonation, low ABV, and smooth so it's very easy drinkable and goes down fast. Veil's description is "heavily hopped-dry hopped" pale ale with a ton of Citra Lupulin powder and the freshest Nelson we could find." I looked up Nelson - grassy, mineral, and white grape notes.

Veil makes great beer, and if you like pale ale, you won't find much better. It's bitter cutting through mild juiciness, not-too-bitter, and top notch. Veil made this beer for one of their founders. Aroma is apricots and floral. It finishes dry, crisp, and light. I'll rate it 4.25.

Thanks again DD
    Dusty Roadz-The Veil Brewing Company

When first poured from the pint can, I thought, "This can't be a pale ale as it's too hazy." Aromas of Tropicana Lite Grapefruit Juice, if one exists, made me think session IPA. I didn't get the apricot aromas, guessing RJ199's sniffer was a bit better than mine. Tastes of the same with a bit of dank and pine but overall, pretty mild bitterness, guessing 30-40. I'd have guessed Citra hops, or maybe Mosaic/Galaxy and I wouldn't have thought Nelson Sauvin. ABV was 5.2% and it paired nicely with a homemade Philly steak and cheese with grilled onions and green peppers and a side Caesar salad. I'll agree with that 4.25 rating, or a solid 2 on the fuse beer-o-meter scale. Reinforces the growing opinion the Veil is an outstanding brewery.

Abrico - Oxbow Brewing - 6.5 % ABV - Mixed fermentation stainless aged farmhouse ale aged on apricots

The appearance is straw yellow and opaque. The smell is sour apple and apricot. The taste is a complex, funky, with beautifully balanced and prominent freshly-cut apricot. It starts sour and then the strong apricot wave comes through and persists.

Fuse Category 1. This one is fun
    Hmm, Cat 1? Read like a Cat 2...

Now I've got a Cat 1 coming up next...

JackieO’s Rum Barrel Oil of Aphrodite. Imperial stout brewed with walnuts and aged in rum barrels. 12.8% abv. 12 oz poured dark, little foam. American and Belgian malts with Pacific Northwest hops. Aged 10 months. Sweet up front, candi syrup added, different finish than the usual BBA brew. Not had many rum barrel aged beers, they are tasty, and different than BBA beers. A nice change, very smooth and balanced.

Del's Shandy-Narragansett Brewing Company

A beer from my July beer club 4 pack.

I had low expectations for this beer and I was not disappointed .

Pour was a clear, light lemon-gold with a rapidly disappearing, fizzy head. Smells like lemon dishwashing liquid but fortunately, at least tasted like a pilsner/lager with lemonade added. Minimal bitterness, guessing 20 IBUs here and the ABV was 4.7%. Redeeming features were its temperature-cold, and I could imagine belting one down after a lawn mowing session. Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy *might* be better. Not bad enough for Ycch, Beer and worth a pint can to try but wouldn't offer to a friend or re-visit. Earns a Fuse Cat 1.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Funny this should come up; I’ve been thinking a little about beer ratings.

My current opinion is that a 3 point rating system is sufficient.

3- Holy sh!t !!! Amazing, world class
    2- enjoyed, would drink again
    1- no thank you, not again

I get that some websites have the wine type 100 point scale. You rarely see a wine below 80, so what’s the point?

Regardless of how you enjoy or evaluate beer, my real conclusion is that taste is so subjective, that unless you find someone with similar tastes and palate, it renders most non descriptive evaluations as very little value.

If you tell me a beer tastes like coffee, or peach, I at least have a mental picture of what to expect, or whether or not I’d like it.

It’s why I enjoy this thread so much- the story of your beer experience that leads to a common experience.

Said much more simply- drink what you like. ����
    Apologies, I've been doing this wrong. Category 1 is what I've been calling the world-class, amazing, holy $hit beers. I remembered it 1-2-3 instead of 3-2-1. My bad I took Math in summer school at UNC-Cheat with Tyler Hansbrough. The class met at He's not Here.

I dont think I've had a bad beer since we started this fuse rating, so I've meant to rate everything 2's and 3's
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 08-04-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hmm, Cat 1? Read like a Cat 2...

Now I've got a Cat 1 coming up next...
    No I rated the Oxbow 4.5 on Untapped. The fresh apricot balance with the strong apple sour was just perfect. I thought it was a blow-you-away great beer. Those apricots pop, and your sniffer won't miss them.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 08-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.