Page 1019 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1951991996910091017101810191020102110291069111915192019 ... LastLast
Results 20,361 to 20,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Troegs Troegenator Dopplebock

Smells of dates and raisins.

Malt, malt and more malt.
    Who am I to argue or complain?

Loads and loads of grape/raisin and date sugar.

Such an easy drinking style for a high ABV offering.

Troegs makes good beer, Troegenator among them.

If you like malty beer / dopple bocks, you can’t go wrong with this offering from Troegs.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From 12/6/18:

From last PM, courtesy of richardjackson199, we interrupt this NEIPA love-fest with:

Saxy Machismo-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Specimen #2 of my "consultant fees" package .

This 500 ml bottle was shared with devildeac2 as a nightcap last PM.

Poured into snifters after 15 minutes of "warm-up" time and sipped over 30 minutes.

Color was dark brown with a minimal head. Typical aromas of a Belgian-style quad appeared first with dark caramel and toffee the most prominent followed by a lot of dark, dried fruits and a bit of smoke. Tastes mirrored the aromas with some mild bourbon and wood notes, finishing with some heat from the Guajillo and Habanero peppers "thrown in" during fermentation. When chilled, this ale is superb. When warmed, the heat is still tolerable but takes away from the general greatness of a BBA Belgian-style quadruple ale, especially one from Haw River. I'm grateful to have tried this again with many thanks to richardjackson199!
    Since it's a Haw River Sunday, I enjoyed my bottle of Saxy Machismo.

Let me preface by saying that I love heat. Pizza and scrambled eggs shouldn't be eaten without a finely made habanero-carrot hot sauce. So peppers in beer for me are a good thing.

I really enjoyed this beer. 40 IBU. ABV 12.2 %. But so much is going on, and going on well, that you don't notice it. It's an easy-drinking sipper. The sweetness from raisins and figs are cut nicely by the oaky bourbon and smoky guajillos. As mentioned by DD, the habanero heat is on the finish and moderate, not overpowering IMO. The finish includes chocolate. It's an outstanding quad with sweet malts, mild vanilla, and not too sweet.

Another outstanding beer from Haw River. I'll rate it a strong 4.25

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I will be there next weekend visiting my sister. Will look to pick some up.
    They have quite an assortment of 4 and 6 packs at the brewery and also $2/3/4 single selections for make your own 4 packs or 6 packs. Our flights were $10 for four five ounce beers with all drafts >7% ABV except a witbier and a pale ale, IIRC, and the only upcharge was on the BBA BamBaLam.

If you go out beer shopping for other brews, I highly recommend the Kenny Street Market which is basically a convenience store but half their aisles are beer aisles with a great selection of Ohio beers and other regional and national beers.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I'm very flexible in August - I could probably do any Saturday. Fuse is a hall of famer, so wanna do it the following Saturday instead - August 10? It will probably still be hot enough to enjoy a gose.
    I'm good any weekend except August 23-25 as I'm on call, but, could always have my tastings on Thursday night that week and post on Saturday.

I approve of this post. I'll look for some french toast. Sounds like fun fall tailgate breakfast before a noon Duke football game.
    Wouldn't look for it until November most likely. Funky Buddha also brews an excellent version.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Haw River St Benedict’s Breakfast Coffee & Oatmeal Dubbel

Pours an opaque brown that appears black with no light source.
    Frothy tan head.

Smells like a roasty iced coffee.

Indeed tastes like a sweetened iced coffee, although the sweetness is altogether from the underlying raisin notes of the dubbel style beer.

I’m fairly certain when Haw River was new, this was my first experience with Haw River. I was blown away, and while Tyler’s Apex was a thing, I would scour the 80+ beer menu and if there were a Haw River beer on the list, it almost always invariably ended up in my glass.

There’s something comforting about returning to a beer you’ve not had in a while and the memories evoked as you sip with a smile.
    You got the last of the 4 pack of these as I kept 2 and son of devildeac got the other. Figured you'd had it before but not sure it was reviewed here previously though Tripping William has a bunch of great reviews/tastings in the last few years and he may well have submitted his thoughts.

I'm not sure anyone thanked fuse for organizing the Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub yesterday, so I'll be the first to issues a loud "hurrah" for his idea/efforts. Great thought and great effort by all who participated!

Maybe we'll get mattman's review of a NEIPA when the gose weekend rolls around...

I'm not sure anyone thanked fuse for organizing the Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub yesterday, so I'll be the first to issues a loud "hurrah" for his idea/efforts. Great thought and great effort by all who participated!

Maybe we'll get mattman's review of a NEIPA when the gose weekend rolls around...

I think we'll shoot for Sat. Aug. 10 if that works well for the next virtual pub. It sounds like that works better for fuse and hopefully others. Drink it down, or if it's hot your gose is cooked.

And huge thanks to fuse for kicking this off

I think we'll shoot for Sat. Aug. 10 if that works well for the next virtual pub. It sounds like that works better for fuse and hopefully others. Drink it down, or if it's hot your gose is cooked.

I'm also good with Saturday, August 10. We'll be at the NC coast so will likely look for somethings not available in the Triangle area...

From last PM, because one good dessert is not enough:

Kentucky Christmas Morning-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Shouts of acclamation to accfanfrom1970 for picking up a brewery record number of GBS The Complete Set 2018 from Hardywood the day it was released and to fuse for having his under-aged chauffeur ferry him up to Richmond for a meet-up with the aforementioned accfanfrom1970 to pick up 4 of those GBS Complete Sets for NC, Ohio and Illinois distribution.

The corked and caged 750 ml bottle was shared with son of devildeac last PM, taking easily an hour to sip and marvel over its complexity.

Appearance: darn near black with a smallish, creamy tan head
    Nose: ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee (all added) and dark chocolate (not added)
    Mouthfeel: moderately viscous: as smooth and silky as a JJ Redick jumper
    Tastes: the ginger tingles, the vanilla and lactose sweeten (it's an imperial milk stout), the cinnamon tantalizes, the coffee bitters and the bourbon warms
    IBU: 55-same as the original GBS
    ABV: 11.6% (the original is 9.2%)
    Overall impression: superb variant of the original GBS that beeradvocate originally rated 100 and said "like freagin' Christmas in a bottle"

Definitive Brewing Company
    Peels & Pits
    IPA w/ lactose, tangerines and peaches
    7.5% ABV

Super cloudy orange juice like pour.
    Smells like orange juice, and Del Monte canned peaches in syrup.

Surprisingly hoppy, although the bitterness is mild and attenuated by the fruit.

If you threw hops in orange juice, you might have an approximation of Peels and Pits. There is some peach, maybe coming through as a bit of sweetness and density of mouthfeel.

All the sugar hides how big this beer is; no real burn other than a bit of vodka booziness on the finish.

Another fine find from Maine.

Cheers! 🍻
    Peels & Pits-Definitive Brewing Company

Stamped on bottom of pint can:

Canned on
    06/14/19 12:31
    Happy Birhday (sic)

See above comprehensive review

My overall impression is a tangerine/orange/peach milkshake made with the flesh, pith, juice, rind and seeds of the added fruits. This is one thick, juicy brew. I'll guess 60 IBUs.

Another excellent inclusion in my Maine beer package last month from fuse. Thanks!!

From last PM, because one good dessert is not enough
    Overall impression: superb variant of the original GBS that beeradvocate originally rated 100 and said "like freagin' Christmas in a bottle"
    Wow. It is awesome that year long reviews continue to come in from a trek of beer awesomeness. I literally pushed a shopping cart up to several neophytes, requesting the orders from NC and VA. This is the beer that put Hardywood BAA gingerbread stout on the national radar.

Wow. It is awesome that year long reviews continue to come in from a trek of beer awesomeness. I literally pushed a shopping cart up to several neophytes, requesting the orders from NC and VA. This is the beer that put Hardywood BAA gingerbread stout on the national radar.
    I figured it would take all winter, spring, summer and fall to get through all these variants and promised you I'd review each one as I sampled it. I'm not sure fuse has tasted more than one or two of his Complete Set so I suspect he'll start his tastings this fall...

I figured it would take all winter, spring, summer and fall to get through all these variants and promised you I'd review each one as I sampled it. I'm not sure fuse has tasted more than one or two of his Complete Set so I suspect he'll start his tastings this fall...
    I have held off but look forward to the the reviews of the other variants. Especially the rare Rum BBA gingerbread stout . I keep drinking ( with son, of every other Hardywood variant) the gingerbread stouts we all love and crave.

I have held off but look forward to the the reviews of the other variants. Especially the rare Rum BBA gingerbread stout . I keep drinking ( with son, of every other Hardywood variant) the gingerbread stouts we all love and crave.
    Sounds like a great fall tailgate beer...

Surprisingly (shamefully?) I have had none.

The four small bottles have been in the fridge since arrival. The only big bottle in the fridge is Mega(?).

My palate is struggling with the idea of this weather and gingerbread. Might be Halloween or later before I get to any.

I'm also good with Saturday, August 10. We'll be at the NC coast so will likely look for somethings not available in the Triangle area...
    Yes, mad props to fuse for this idea. I tried to spork, but got the expected auto-response.

I'll be in Utah on August 10th, and not terribly sure about what the gose selection will look like in Heber City. But don't hold off on my account.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Surprisingly (shamefully?) I have had none.

The four small bottles have been in the fridge since arrival. The only big bottle in the fridge is Mega(?).

My palate is struggling with the idea of this weather and gingerbread. Might be Halloween or later before I get to any.
    Not shameful at all. Well, maybe you should have had one in April when the weather was a bit cooler.

One could also claim I'm strange/crazy (and be correct) for sharing a Kentucky Christmas Morning this weekend with son of devildeac when the temperature was over 80 degrees at consumption time Saturday night .

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yes, mad props to fuse for this idea. I tried to spork, but got the expected auto-response.

I'll be in Utah on August 10th, and not terribly sure about what the gose selection will look like in Heber City. But don't hold off on my account.
    A quick check of the Uinta and Wasatch brewery sites reveals no goses on their beer lists . I thought *everybody* brewed a gose these days .

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Covered.