Page 1016 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1651691696610061014101510161017101810261066111615162016 ... LastLast
Results 20,301 to 20,320 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I got a great email -Hardywood had some extra bottles from their Family membership offerings, available to members, to pick another bottle of their one off offerings. I put in an order for their Banana Bread Ale ( reviewed a growler) , Brian’s brew mix of Barleywine and BBA ale, and another BBA Barleywine I was saving for Sept. tailgating. So now I get to taste the BBA Barleywine and still bring one to the Sept. football tailgate. Review to follow...
    Oooh, looking forward to tasting any/all of your purchases.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Ideall-Port City Brewing Company

Well, maybe this was beer #4 from my June 4 pack .

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a small glass late last PM (best I could do on the road in WV ) showed up as a clean/clear, light golden color with a moderate fizzy head. Floral bouquet aromas with some light grain followed by some orange peel, spices, Belgian candi sugar, European hops and a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast used to ferment this Belgian-style tripel. IBUs were 35 and the ABV was 8.5%. Good example of the style and certainly worth my $1.75 share for this month's allotment but not something I'd seek out.

no. 7-Brewery Bhavana

From their members only Cellar Door series that fuse was astute enough to sign up for last summer and kind enough to include me with his extra purchases last year and again a few months ago. Thanks!

Devildeac2 opened this 750 ml bottle and lost a couple teaspoons due to excessive carbonation. Pour was a mildly cloudy light amber with a very fizzy head that disappeared fairly quickly. It's a gin barrel-aged saison so the aromas were barnyard/funk, some apples and pears and hints of booze. Tastes were the same with a bit more bitterness than expected, likely due to the addition of juniper berries to the brewing process. Gin aromas/tastes were quite subdued and far less than Hardywood's Prim Looking Stargazer and New Holland's Haute Route. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV on the bottle stated 5.2%. A very pleasant pairing with burgers and a plateful of fresh garden vegetables (tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers) from various sources. A rather under-stated beer that may have benefited from 6-12 months in those gin barrels instead of stated three months. Another very good Brewery Bhavana creation.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hope you've recovered enough to join us in the DBR virtual pub tomorrow as we all hoist a NEIPA and post our reviews about what we've sipped.

Not sure what time fuse will open the doors of the pub yet...
    I’m not sure what kind of international presence we have on DBR, and it’s always after 5pm somewhere. 😂

I was thinking about noon ET I’d write a preamble and see how things go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m not sure what kind of international presence we have on DBR, and it’s always after 5pm somewhere. ��

I was thinking about noon ET I’d write a preamble and see how things go from there.
    Can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I like the way you think...brother from another mother? 🤣🍻

Grocery run this morning became an impromptu DFH run.

SeaQuench, which I have had before and is an excellent summer sipper.
    Super 8 Gose, which I don’t think I’ve ever had.
    Slightly Mighty IPA, a new lo-cal offering.

Will look forward to tasting them soon.

The virtual DBR pub is now open!

Welcome, one and all!

Today’s tasting is New England Style IPA (NEIPA).

Be sure to lead your review with:
    Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019

at least in theory this may aid with searches in the future.

Who will be first to pull up a stool and share what’s in their glass?

Cheers all, can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with! 🍻

Welcome, one and all!

This should be fun. Not sure what mine will be yet, depends on what Craft Centric has on tap this afternoon

Welcome, one and all!

Am out of town at present. Will likely post in the 8:00 pm Eastern timeframe, while live-streaming the DMB show happening in NoVa.

Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019 Bissel Brothers the Substance

Welcome, one and all!

Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019 Bissel Brothers The Substance

Surprisingly, one of the few NEIPAs I've had on the Beer Advocate top 100 list, which is dominated by a very small number of breweries.

A really nice pineapple golden pour, hazy and opaque as expected.

The nose is pineapple, maybe a bit of lime and orange, with a bit of earthy dankness on a big inhale.

That piney earthy nose is present at the front of the palate, which melts into a moderated bitterness before fading into a juicy orange finish.

The Substance clocks in at 6.6% ABV, and the can notes this was a beer creation 2 years in the making to represent the past, present and future of beer. That might be a bit meta for me in terms of a goal for a beer, but more power to Bissel Brothers.

The Substance is an outstanding beer overall, and a solid representation of a NEIPA, in appearance and taste.
    The Substance shows up in the top ten of NEIPAs on Beer Advocate.
    I've not had any other NEIPAs on that list, so its really hard to say how good the Substance is, or is not.
    There are some local NEIPAs I've enjoyed that don't have any dankness or bitterness and focus more on the juiciness of modern hops.

If you like IPAs, or NEIPAs, I'd highly recommend seeking out Bissel Brothers The Substance if you find yourself in Portland Maine.

I'm looking forward to seeing who will pull up a stool next to me, and raise a glass so we can share a toast to Bissel Brothers, the New England IPA, and the glorious concept of the community that is DBR.

Cheers, all!

Substance Pour.jpg
    Substance Can.jpg
    Empty Teku.jpg

Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019:

Thanks to devildeac for this one:

Hit Me Up - The Veil Brewing - NEIPA - 8.5% ABV - Perhaps the finest NEIPA I've tasted. Too bad it's a one-off. It's perfectly balanced with I'm not sure what all hops but I think Galaxy which I'm finding out I really like. It's super smooth, flavorful, hazy, mildly dank, but not too bitter. It's delicious, solid, soft mouth feel, and goes down easy given ABV with very smooth finish. It's tropical and juicy, but not super freshly squeezed like some of their beers. The tropical citrus flavors include orange, lemon, pineapple, and mango. I'll rate it 4.75. Thanks devildeac! Ymmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019:

Thanks to devildeac for this one:

Hit Me Up - The Veil Brewing - NEIPA - 8.5% ABV - Perhaps the finest NEIPA I've tasted. Too bad it's a one-off. It's perfectly balanced with I'm not sure what all hops but I think Galaxy which I'm finding out I really like. It's super smooth, flavorful, hazy, mildly dank, but not too bitter. It's delicious, solid, soft mouth feel, and goes down easy given ABV with very smooth finish. It's tropical and juicy, but not super freshly squeezed like some of their beers. The tropical citrus flavors include orange, lemon, pineapple, and mango. I'll rate it 4.75. Thanks devildeac! Ymmm beer.
    Well, now I am wondering when devildeac will be back in town as I think he may have one of these set aside for me.

I am with you on Galaxy hops. Of the newer hop varieties, Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic are the three that I seek out when presented with the opportunity.

I’ve never had a beer from Veil; their reputation for making great beer only seems to be increasing.

Well, now I am wondering when devildeac will be back in town as I think he may have one of these set aside for me.

I am with you on Galaxy hops. Of the newer hop varieties, Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic are the three that I seek out when presented with the opportunity.

I’ve never had a beer from Veil; their reputation for making great beer only seems to be increasing.
    You'll love Veil. This is just a consummate NEIPA, very nicely representative of Veil (from the few I've tried). Nothing flashy, just outstanding, balanced beer that tastes better and better as you drink it.

One day I'll get to some of these other places - Richmond, Maine, Wisconsin, Washington and try some of these great breweries. Cheers!

Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/2019 Southern Pines Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief

The head on RBAPT dissipated quickly.
    Harder to tell in the thunderstorm darkened home the actual colour of Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief.
    Definitely hazy, perhaps closer in colour to a fresh pressed apple cider than pineapple juice.

I'm certain I have fewer nose hairs after an initial smell.
    Not surprising at 9.4% that RBAPT is a big beer.
    The nose is all rum, with a little bit of coconut and maybe a whiff of pineapple.

The description on the can is mouth watering- Pineapple Thief fruited NEIPA fermented with pineapple puree, aged in rum barrels, and then dry hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic hops before being conditioned on coconut chips.

Canned 4/29/2019.

The first sip is super complex, and almost difficult to describe beyond the finish like coconut water.
    The initial hit on the palate is that rum booziness, and it takes a while before that rum booziness eases up and allows a little bit of pineapple to shine through ahead of the coconut finish.

Whatever role the hops or dry hopping play in this beer is difficult for me to say.

I'm not a rum or pina colada drinker. Unlike Founder's Mas Agave which could have been mistaken for a margarita, I don't think Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief would be mistaken for a pina colada.

It is an interesting riff on the pina colada concept, or a fun beer homage.

Other than being hazy, or reading on the can that RBAPT is a NEIPA, I'm not sure how else you'd know, there is just so much going on in each sip.

I'm really surprised how dominant the rummy alcohol burn and coconut is in this brew.

I'm not sure I have ever heard of Idaho 7 hops, will have to look that up in a bit.

I had been anticipating trying this, knowing that TrippinWilliam and devildeac had both sung its praises.
    I have had the original (not rum barrel aged), I think, and it is also a great beer unto itself.

I'll be sipping on Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief for a while, contemplating what grand acts of piracy this beer will inspire (Ha!).

While not a Dogfish Head beer, definitely an "off centered" entry in the growing NEIPA field.
    It's a curious thing to contemplate how I'd classify this beer, given it can claim at least:
    -barrel aged
    -fruit
    -IPA/NEIPA

This is no summer sipper (although it goes down easy enough).

Yargh, go find yerself a can of Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief- it'll be worth the doubloons you spend.

Cheers!

Southern Pines Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief.jpg

Virtual Pub NEIPA 7/20/19 — Southern Pines Citra Kiss

Home a bit earlier than expected and catching the end of today’s Open action. DD reviewed this way upthread. A nice hazy gold (see below). I get a little more dank than citrus. A nice bitterness at the tail end. I like it better than any other SoPines IPA’s (Man of Law, Texas Rig, etc.). Glad to have three more 16-ounce cans of this.

Virtual Cheers!

239B6F7A-8AEE-403C-B0BE-10C9F2E107CA.jpg

Idaho 7 Hops

A fun read from 3 years ago about the emergence of the Idaho 7 hop:

https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/lu...nt?oid=3908478

A snippet from a website selling Idaho 7 hops:

HOP DESCRIPTION
    Named for its home state, this late-maturing aroma hop practically drips with juicy tropical and stone fruit, supported by sticky pine and fainter notes of earthy black tea. It’s perfect for late additions, though also has high enough alpha acids for good bittering.
    AROMA PROFILE
    Tropical/Fruit, Piney/Resinous, Stone Fruit

The head on RBAPT dissipated quickly.
    Harder to tell in the thunderstorm darkened home the actual colour of Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief.
    Definitely hazy, perhaps closer in colour to a fresh pressed apple cider than pineapple juice.

I'm certain I have fewer nose hairs after an initial smell.
    Not surprising at 9.4% that RBAPT is a big beer.
    The nose is all rum, with a little bit of coconut and maybe a whiff of pineapple.

The description on the can is mouth watering- Pineapple Thief fruited NEIPA fermented with pineapple puree, aged in rum barrels, and then dry hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic hops before being conditioned on coconut chips.

Canned 4/29/2019.

The first sip is super complex, and almost difficult to describe beyond the finish like coconut water.
    The initial hit on the palate is that rum booziness, and it takes a while before that rum booziness eases up and allows a little bit of pineapple to shine through ahead of the coconut finish.

Whatever role the hops or dry hopping play in this beer is difficult for me to say.

I'm not a rum or pina colada drinker. Unlike Founder's Mas Agave which could have been mistaken for a margarita, I don't think Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief would be mistaken for a pina colada.

It is an interesting riff on the pina colada concept, or a fun beer homage.

Other than being hazy, or reading on the can that RBAPT is a NEIPA, I'm not sure how else you'd know, there is just so much going on in each sip.

I'm really surprised how dominant the rummy alcohol burn and coconut is in this brew.

I'm not sure I have ever heard of Idaho 7 hops, will have to look that up in a bit.

I had been anticipating trying this, knowing that TrippinWilliam and devildeac had both sung its praises.
    I have had the original (not rum barrel aged), I think, and it is also a great beer unto itself.

I'll be sipping on Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief for a while, contemplating what grand acts of piracy this beer will inspire (Ha!).

While not a Dogfish Head beer, definitely an "off centered" entry in the growing NEIPA field.
    It's a curious thing to contemplate how I'd classify this beer, given it can claim at least:
    -barrel aged
    -fruit
    -IPA/NEIPA

This is no summer sipper (although it goes down easy enough).

Yargh, go find yerself a can of Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief- it'll be worth the doubloons you spend.

Cheers!

Southern Pines Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief.jpg
    I don’t think what I had of this (on draft at Pinehurst Brewing) was rum-barrel aged. The standard was terrific.

Home a bit earlier than expected and catching the end of today’s Open action. DD reviewed this way upthread. A nice hazy gold (see below). I get a little more dank than citrus. A nice bitterness at the tail end. I like it better than any other SoPines IPA’s (Man of Law, Texas Rig, etc.). Glad to have three more 16-ounce cans of this.

Virtual Cheers!

239B6F7A-8AEE-403C-B0BE-10C9F2E107CA.jpg
    Another "new to me" beer.

I have to admit, I really like the arc that Southern Pines is developing along.
    The first few beers I had from them were simply not good, and I figured Southern Pines would not last long.

Clearly, I was wrong.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for Citra Kiss. Citra is another one of "those hops" that I believe are transforming the beer experience.

Its so funny to think about the Keystone Light commercials of old and "bitter beer face", how beers like Lagunitas Hop Stoopid turned that perception on its side, and now how beer is evolving beyond the 125 IBU chase and settling into a new era of hope driven flavours that move beyond pine and resin.

It will be interesting to see how or if beer pivots toward more varieties of hops, or if some of the research being done now with yeast will be the next evolution of beer. Hops are a high environmental load crop in terms of how much water is required, and there are researchers that are playing with how to create yeast that develop hop like flavours without any hops. That's pretty wild.

With that statement, you'd fit in well at one (or more) of our tailgates this fall. Therefore, consider yourself invited.