Page 1001 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 501901951991999100010011002100310111051110115012001 ... LastLast
Results 20,001 to 20,020 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Playing catch-up:

(1) Kona Longboard Lager. Mrs. Tripping & I shared a 22-ounce bomber of this while chilling on Kailua Beach. But we had no Solo cups (or other drinkware), so we were uncouth, imbibing straight from the bottle. The beer was okay, but not as good as the Ola Ma’a reviewed upthread. And the scenery outpaced the beer ... by a lot.

(2) Kona Wailua Wheat. Also a shared bomber, but in our VRBO one afternoon. Brewed with passionfruit. Terrifically refreshing. Bright gold pour, off-white head. The citrus is subtle, but definitely present. I’d take this over the lager, hands-down.

(3) Big Island Golden Sabbath. Also a shared bomber, this time with dinner. In the running for Beer O’ The Trip. A Belgian style golden ale, brewed with local honey. Deep gold pour, with a medium-size white head. Notes of pink bubble gum, and some spice. The honey flavors smooth it out. Delicious.

(4) A visit to Maui Brewing’s location in Kailua. Great space. Had a four-pour flight of their all-year pineapple wheat (very refreshing), their seasonal DIPA (very good, but not a standout in a crowded field), brown ale (a very good brown, and I tend not to be impressed by Browns), and an imperial coconut porter (quite tasty, but higher gravity). I also had a quick taste of their Belgian white ale (think White Zombie, but better), and would have come home with a crowler of that, but their crowler machine was broken.

Some really good beer being made in this state.
    If you keep posting these reviews, Mrs. dd is going to become suspicious why I want to make a trip to Hawaii later this year or early next year...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Hopefully I get to Garden Grove Brewery tonight and try a couple more. One beer, one post?
    You're allowed one beer, one post or ten beers, one post. We're still planning how to organize our Saturday afternoon/evening when we're in Richmond next month and you're helping immensely .

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    This beer may have been reviewed above, but it's so good I'm tossing in my 1 cent.

Yep you guessed it-

Burial - Sixth Passing - DIPA - ABV - 8.2 %; 58 IBU; Double Dry Hopped with Complex Hops mixture - Strata, Sabro, Citra, and Simcoe "and blessed once more with a dose of cryo hops"

Just outstanding. I'd rate 4.5

You know it's outstanding as soon as you taste it. Super smooth from oats + lactose. Hoppy but not too bitter. People who don't like IPA's would love this. People who like IPA's will love this. Grapefruit kick (but a very good one), honeydew melon, light lemon. Clean light dank finish.

I got a 32 growler on draft at Stella. Get some.
    Hmmm, going to have to search for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    So, I went back go Chicago area for my parents' 70th wedding anniversary. My niece came through and delivered a bunch of New Glarus beer. I have wanted to try the Wisconsin Belgian Red for many years, New Glarus doesn't seem to distribute outside of Wisconsin.

It was different than I expected. It's not a beer that you will drink in volume. It was great. New Glarus says that they use a pound of cherries for every bottle. I believe it. It didn't have a vaguely cherry, chemical flavor. It tasted like cherries. It felt more viscous than most beer and it was really good. Sweet but not cloying.

I view it as a dessert beer. One you would split with someone else at the end of a good meal.

Really good, I highly recommend it.
    Great review of a great beer. Fuse and I would've double your money back had you not like this one .

New Glarus stopped distributing outside Wisconsin a decade or more ago as they got tired of the "pay to play" scheme in Chicago.

Were you fortunate enough to obtain any of their other fruit beers like Raspberry Tart or Serendipity? Those are superb, too.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    One of these days I will find an Ardent beer, your reviews of them inspire a certain thirstiness.
    Ask and ye shall receive...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    This lists Virginia Beer Co as Williamsburg-based: https://www.virginiabeerco.com/about-us
    Not sure why the Mellow Mushroom beer menu listed Nellysford. The description is right from the Beer Co. website. Nellysford has Wild Wolf.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 06-25-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Fresh Catch-Narragansett Brewing Company (Rochester, NY *but* write or visit us at 461 Main Street Pawtucket, RI )

0318 1313:34 (so not really a "Fresh Catch" )

Last beer from my gifted birthday 6er last week. This was a pint can with a bright red lob-stah on the can, obviously an upstate NY variety )

Poured a golden-yellow with faint citrus aromas emanating through/from a foamy head. Writing on the can says "A refreshing golden ale dry hopped with Citra." I guess there are some traces of grapefruit and orange flavors present along with a light caramel sweetness and minimal bitterness. I'll guess 30 IBUs with the stated ABV at 4.2%. Not a stale beer but this likely was somewhat better a year ago. Meh. Happy to have tasted but certainly not search worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Fresh Catch-Narragansett Brewing Company (Rochester, NY *but* write or visit us at 461 Main Street Pawtucket, RI )
    Looks like a long, sordid corporate tale, with stops in Fort Wayne, IN and the Supreme Court, and an appearance by Curt Gowdy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrag...rewing_Company

... not to mention Dr. Seuss and "Jaws" ...

Looks like a long, sordid corporate tale, with stops in Fort Wayne, IN and the Supreme Court, and an appearance by Curt Gowdy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrag...rewing_Company
    Ha! I had read that a year or so ago and thought about posting it with my review. Thanks for the link!

Last One from Oahu

Honolulu Beer Works Cocoweizen. Yep, a coconut Hefeweizen. Pours cloudy gold with a tinge of brown. The coconut flavors are pretty subtle, and do not overpower the banana and clove. A refreshing, quaffable beach beer.

About to board the long redeye flight home. 😔
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ha! I had read that a year or so ago and thought about posting it with my review. Thanks for the link!
    You're welcome. The "Jaws" link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsMqZ9uX4Sc

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Honolulu Beer Works Cocoweizen. Yep, a coconut Hefeweizen. Pours cloudy gold with a tinge of brown. The coconut flavors are pretty subtle, and do not overpower the banana and clove. A refreshing, quaffable beach beer.

About to board the long redeye flight home. 😔
    1. Coconut hefe?

2. But, but, but, you just got there .

Thanks for keeping us apprised of some Hawaiian adult beverages. Many sounded quite good.

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1169726]Advertising itself as a brewery and urban winery - back to Garden Grove.

2nd up - Death
    Belgian Quadruple. Another part of their Trappist series. Aged 14 months in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Really brings out dark fruit flavors. 10% abv, 41 ibu, 1.086 OG. Aromas of dark fruit, fig, red wine, vanilla. Toasty malt flavor, taste the fig, red wine and oak. Listed as a two time award winner and I can see why. Just another exceptional and unique brew.

So, I drank the bottle of “Death” I purchased, at the visit above. Truly a unique and terrific beer. I looked at the bottle closely after finishing, you talk about limited - they made 100 bottles. And I finished one without even reading the fine print. So I bought two more, and will be aging them. Maybe a 2020 tailgating offering...man it’s hard to age good beers.

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1171496]
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Advertising itself as a brewery and urban winery - back to Garden Grove.

2nd up - Death
    Belgian Quadruple. Another part of their Trappist series. Aged 14 months in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Really brings out dark fruit flavors. 10% abv, 41 ibu, 1.086 OG. Aromas of dark fruit, fig, red wine, vanilla. Toasty malt flavor, taste the fig, red wine and oak. Listed as a two time award winner and I can see why. Just another exceptional and unique brew.

So, I drank the bottle of “Death” I purchased, at the visit above. Truly a unique and terrific beer. I looked at the bottle closely after finishing, you talk about limited - they made 100 bottles. And I finished one without even reading the fine print. So I bought two more, and will be aging them. Maybe a 2020 tailgating offering...man it’s hard to age good beers.
    That sounds very similar to no.6 from the Brewery Bhavana Cellar Door series that fuse obtained for me last December that I reviewed for post #20000 here.

Its been at least 5 years since I have been to Allagash.

Wow.

Ymmm, beer, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Its been at least 5 years since I have been to Allagash.

Wow.

Ymmm, beer, indeed.
    Consider my curiosity piqued...

Novare Res in Portland ME is a legit awesome beer bar.

Crazy global and local list.

Tripadvisor's top 10 beer experiences: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Traveler..._Mode.expanded

Tripadvisor's top 10 beer experiences: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Traveler..._Mode.expanded
    Let's see, I think mattman has been to the Czech republic and actually reviewed some of his tastings (). OPK was in Belgium recently and promised some beer reviews (har-rumph) and I've visited several breweries in Asheville but it has been a few years. Other than those, I got nothing.

Más Agave-Founders Brewing Company

I had my doubts about this one but they've all been dispelled.

It's an imperial lime gose brewed with agave and then aged in tequila barrels and is superb.

I sort of equally divided a 12 ounce bottle over two nights and was rewarded with a mildly hazy, amber pour with a small, off-white head that quickly disappeared. "Wasted Away Again in Margaritaville" comes to mind with the aromas of freshly squeezed lime juice, followed by dark caramel/sugar syrup and a gold tequila. It really tasted like a freshly made margarita with plenty of tangy/tart/sour lime flavors, to accompany the caramel/brown sugary sweetness, a modest amount of salt, wet wood and a good quality tequila (of which I know very few ). I'll guess the IBUs about 10 and the ABV is 10% so a rather high octane gose and there aren't many of those I've tasted either. I guess it could be paired with almost any fresh seafood or some flip flops, a beach chair, an umbrella and a generous slathering of SPF 50. Three remain from the $18ish 4 pack for sharing/trading. Worth seeking out.

I believe it's davec's turn now...