Page 100 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 509098991001011021101502006001100 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Then the countdown is at 20...

Bluebear's description of the Rochefort is pretty spot on. Not sour at all (and I didn't get any barnyard funk) but lots of dark fruit sweetness and a creaminess that I really enjoyed.

Also, in a little news, much to my chagrin, New Belgium has decided to make its Mighty Arrow Pale Ale its spring seasonal. This means that it will replace Springboard, which I really enjoyed. I might have to head to Ft. Collins soon and see if they have any on tap so I can fill a couple of growlers. This makes 3 spring seasonals for NB in about four years (Biere De Mars; Springboard; Mighty Arrow). They can't seem to get that season right (not to mention BDM and SB are both better than Might Arrow).

I will be in Fort Collins again in March--I will try the Mighty Arrow.

Old Boardhead Barleywine-Full Sail Brewing Company-2005 edition-A nicely matured product. This one is very smooth and drinkable when first released and is more complex now with notes of sherry and brandy. Well-balanced and heavy on the malt so it's a tad sweet but the IBU's are 91 so it's a hop head's dream. There are hints of orange rind, figs/dates and tobacco, too. ABV is 9.1% so sip slowly and enjoy by itself in a snifter at cellar temps or with some sharp cheese or even lightly smoked meats.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Have you had the Fifteen? It didn't sell very well and, as a result, my liquor store has cases of it left from last spring. I love it, so every few times I'm in there, I pick up a bottle. I have enough to open a bottle every 6 months or so for 3-4 years to see how the beer ages.
    Hey there sorry for delayed response ... (been having server issues at work), but yes, yummy brew! Competition is tough out there! Enjoy, hopefully it won't go bad sitting on the shelf!

...chris

Quote Originally Posted by cl15876 View Post
    Hey there sorry for delayed response ... (been having server issues at work), but yes, yummy brew! Competition is tough out there! Enjoy, hopefully it won't go bad sitting on the shelf!

...chris
    If I had more fridge space (my fridge is my cellar a this point) I'd really load up. In the spirit of Fifteen, Avery is releasing a new, very small batch wild/farmhouse ale on February 1st called Brabant.

http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers/seasonal/Brabant

I'll hopefully be able to get some and will post thoughts. Also, it is the most wonderful time of the year for us Colorado hop heads--2009 Maharaja release is in the next month! As evidenced by the Denver bracket, this is my favorite beer.

Tonight I'm having a DFH Raison D'Extre that's been in my fridge for quite a while now (I forgot I had it). I think I reviewed this once before, so I'll quickly go through my thoughts now. Lots of dark fruits--raisins and cherries especially. The flavor follows, but with an added level of brown sugar and a smokiness that I don't remember from last time (this is a "smoke" beer that I can handle; it has other layers of flavor). It isn't all that boozy, which is a change for DFH, but that could be because it's been in the fridge for 6 months or so. I really like this beer.

Bigfoot-2007 edition-the most bitter beer I could find in the house after the game tonight. Almost overwhelming hops, probably multiple varieties. Huge maltiness to balance. Smoother after 2 years in the "cellar." I think this is 95 or 100 IBU's so a real pucker brew. 9.6% ABV (not much lower than our 3 point shooting tonight). I have several left to hopefully enjoy a bit more in 2010 and 2011 also.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bigfoot-2007 edition-the most bitter beer I could find in the house after the game tonight. Almost overwhelming hops, probably multiple varieties. Huge maltiness to balance. Smoother after 2 years in the "cellar." I think this is 95 or 100 IBU's so a real pucker brew. 9.6% ABV (not much lower than our 3 point shooting tonight). I have several left to hopefully enjoy a bit more in 2010 and 2011 also.
    Tonight is a night that you can do serious damage to your cellar (and waste all of that self-control you've exhibited in waiting to drink certain beers). I almost grabbed a bottle of the 2007 Beast (purchased in '08 from a left over batch) before common sense kicked in.

Beertown Brown

I've been enjoying "Beertown Brown" from Bridgeport Brewing this past week. It's billed as a brown ale, and the hops are definitely there, but it's also caramel/chocolatey with a malty biscuit flavor thrown in. It's almost as carbonated as a Budweiser, with a light mouthfeel. At first sip, it's a little different, but midway through a bottle, it's tasty and quite drinkable. A good cold-weather offering, for certain.

Another New Belgium brew

Though I still have a couple bottles of Beertown Brown left, I couldn't pass up a New Belgium variety pack that had two beers of theirs I haven't tried yet.

First up - Giddy Up Ale:

You read that right - espresso and lemon flavorings. Before you screw up your face and say, Ewwww, stop right there. This is New Belgium Brewery, they make good beers. This is another good beer. Neither flavor is overwhelming, and they do a good job of balancing out. The coffee smell is made milder with a lemon-scone-like aftertaste.

At the heart, it's just a very tasty ale. I probably won't buy a sixer of it, but that's b/c Fat Tire and Trippel still have my heart. Up next, Mothership Wit. (For another night.)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I've been enjoying "Beertown Brown" from Bridgeport Brewing this past week. It's billed as a brown ale, and the hops are definitely there, but it's also caramel/chocolatey with a malty biscuit flavor thrown in. It's almost as carbonated as a Budweiser, with a light mouthfeel. At first sip, it's a little different, but midway through a bottle, it's tasty and quite drinkable. A good cold-weather offering, for certain.
    Got me there. Never knew Bridgeport brewed a brown ale. I like most, if not all their others brews.

Though I still have a couple bottles of Beertown Brown left, I couldn't pass up a New Belgium variety pack that had two beers of theirs I haven't tried yet.

First up - Giddy Up Ale:

You read that right - espresso and lemon flavorings. Before you screw up your face and say, Ewwww, stop right there. This is New Belgium Brewery, they make good beers. This is another good beer. Neither flavor is overwhelming, and they do a good job of balancing out. The coffee smell is made milder with a lemon-scone-like aftertaste.

At the heart, it's just a very tasty ale. I probably won't buy a sixer of it, but that's b/c Fat Tire and Trippel still have my heart. Up next, Mothership Wit. (For another night.)
    Oohh. You even scooped RMD with this review and he lives in Denver. Sounds fascinating. I'll look for it in Portland when we're out there in March. Along with a bunch of other fine ales that are not distributed back east.

Exclamation

First up - Giddy Up Ale:

I bet it goes well with grape jelly sauced meatballs.

First up - Giddy Up Ale:

I had this on Thanksgiving and enjoyed it. 100% agree with your thoughts. I'm not sure I could drink more than 1 or 2, but that's the case with most good beers. Mothership Wit is essentially an organic, unfiltered version of their Sunshine Wheat. It's tasty.

I feel so geeky doing this!

I'm sitting in the Denver airport on Friday morning with a 3 hour layover until my flight to San Diego. I got up this morning at 3:25 (about 2 1/2 hours of sleep), and right now "my time" is 11:05, so early it ain't. Of course, here in Denver, it is just 9:05 a.m., but fortunately the Rock Bottom Brewery and Restaurant is open and in full service mode. I'm drinking a Molly's Titanic Brown Ale, an English style brown ale. 5.8% AC, OG 13.0'P. Medium body, Semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel. The waitress said it was like a Newcastle, so that's why I chose it.
    OK, here's my review
    A very dark beer, served nice and cold. It does remind me of a Newcastle, except it is darker; it is very smooth, and it feels "thicker" when I drink it. I guess that's all that chocolate and caramel they're braggin' about.
    The big question is, will I stop at just one, or will I have a nice buzz when I board my next flight? Suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and they have free wi-fi in the Denver airport. I didn't know they did that anywhere! I like the Denver airport!
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 01-30-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm sitting in the Denver airport on Friday morning with a 3 hour layover until my flight to San Diego. I got up this morning at 3:25 (about 2 1/2 hours of sleep), and right now "my time" is 11:05, so early it ain't. Of course, here in Denver, it is just 9:05 a.m., but fortunately the Rock Bottom Brewery and Restaurant is open and in full service mode. I'm drinking a Molly's Titanic Brown Ale, an English style brown ale. 5.8% ac, OG 13.0'P. Mediumbody, Semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel. The waitress said it was like a Newcastle, so that's why I chose it.
    OK, here's my review
    A very dark beer, served nice and cold. It does remind me of a Newcastle, except it is darker; it is very smooth, and it feels "thicker" when I drink it. I guess that's all that chocolate and caramel they're braggin' about.
    The big question is, will I stop at just one, or will I have a nice buzz when I board my next flight? Suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and they have free wi-fi in the Denver airport. I didn't know they did that anywhere! I like the Denver airport!
    You say geeky, but IMHO, this was a GREAT review, filled with details. Does it make it up to a 7F on Ozzie's 9F scale?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm sitting in the Denver airport on Friday morning with a 3 hour layover until my flight to San Diego. I got up this morning at 3:25 (about 2 1/2 hours of sleep), and right now "my time" is 11:05, so early it ain't. Of course, here in Denver, it is just 9:05 a.m., but fortunately the Rock Bottom Brewery and Restaurant is open and in full service mode. I'm drinking a Molly's Titanic Brown Ale, an English style brown ale. 5.8% ac, OG 13.0'P. Mediumbody, Semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel. The waitress said it was like a Newcastle, so that's why I chose it.
    OK, here's my review

A non BudLight review, how cool! Since you are at a "Brewery and Restaurant" it's cool you get to have theirs on tap. Here is what BeerAdvocate has to offer about them. Travel safely, thanks for the review!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm sitting in the Denver airport on Friday morning with a 3 hour layover until my flight to San Diego. I got up this morning at 3:25 (about 2 1/2 hours of sleep), and right now "my time" is 11:05, so early it ain't. Of course, here in Denver, it is just 9:05 a.m., but fortunately the Rock Bottom Brewery and Restaurant is open and in full service mode. I'm drinking a Molly's Titanic Brown Ale, an English style brown ale. 5.8% AC, OG 13.0'P. Medium body, Semi-sweet chocolate, dark caramel. The waitress said it was like a Newcastle, so that's why I chose it.
    OK, here's my review

The Denver airport is my favorite. They have good shopping. There is a great Crocs store in the middle of the airport. I bought my Duke jibbitz there for my Duke Crocs.

Is "thicker" beer like chunky beer?

This is my first post in the Ymmmm beer thread. I can't believe it took a notice on my Facebook page (Ozzie's status update) to get me to look at and post in this thread.

Have fun in sunny California!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You say geeky, but IMHO, this was a GREAT review, filled with details. Does it make it up to a 7F on Ozzie's 9F scale?
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post

Is "thicker" beer like chunky beer?

This is my first post in the Ymmmm beer thread. I can't believe it took a notice on my Facebook page (Ozzie's status update) to get me to look at and post in this thread.

Have fun in sunny California!
    First off, yes, I am enjoying my second Molly's Titanic. I also ordered breakfast - a Denver Omelet in Denver. How appropriate! And it is excellent too!

I'll give this beer, ok, ale, at least a 7F, because with two of them I'm already telling people what 9F means here!

Um, no, thick does not mean chunky It ain't like peanut butter! But it does have a higher viscosity than Bud Light, so it is "thicker".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

First off, yes, I am enjoying my second Molly's Titanic. I also ordered breakfast - a Denver Omelet in Denver. How appropriate! And it is excellent too!

I'll give this beer, ok, ale, at least a 7F, because with two of them I'm already telling people what 9F means here!

Um, no, thick does not mean chunky It ain't like peanut butter! But it does have a higher viscosity than Bud Light, so it is "thicker".

Beer with breakfast. Ymmmm!

OK, here's my review

I feel an apocalypse in the VERY near future after reading this.

Well done, Ozzie. Might we be looking at a convert to the "dark" (beer)
    side?

Does the Denver airport also have a New Belgium brew pub? I thought DA spent some time there (hours?) during a layover last month.

Shoot, Ozzie even had a brown ale for breakfast! With an omelette!!

I think the next post here is #2000. We had talked about starting the beer tourney with #2000 but I'm working all afternoon (gasp!) and won't post again until tonight. If someone wishes to take #2000, be my/our guest, but please make it a GOOD one.
    Last edited by devildeac; 01-30-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Cathy snuck in #1999 while I typed #2000. Sorry.