Page 10 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 8910111220601105101010 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I think you're talking about TK's Maple Brown Ale. As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm a huge fan of Avery beers. You do get a good bang for your buck with the high ABV, and many of the seasonals are cellarable for a good number of years (one of these years I'll start doing that and do a vertical after 3-4 years).

Tonight, on a cold, snowy Colorado night, I'm drinking Avery's Old Jubilation Winter/Xmas brew. It's quite enjoyable. Very sweet and fruity with almost a burnt finish. It's also got just enough alcohol to warm without being a standard Avery beer (meaning I can enjoy more than one). My only complaint--and it's a small one--is that it's a little weak on the nose. This might be because I enjoy, and am used to, very hoppy, pungent beers.
    Yep, Maple Brown Ale is the one. Very distinctive. I have been able to cellar some barley wines and imperial stouts(bottle conditioned ales) and have found them to be much smoother and richer after 1-2 years but it is REAL tough on the discipline to do that .

We have some of the Avery high gravity beers here in NC and they are usually $5-6/22oz-not a bad deal for a quality brew with high alcohol levels, hence, 1/2 a bottle tonight, cork, enjoy the remainder tomorrow. I will have to look for the Old Jubilation this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Happy B-Day! Now, tell us about the Snow Cap!

Could it have been better than my Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (thanks Devildeac)?
    I doubt the Snow Cap would top the Vanilla Porter, but it's a good, basic brown ale. Fairly smooth, not too hoppy (not a fan of overly-hopped beer.) Nothing incredible, but goes nicely as I'm baking pies and pumpkin bread.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    One is plenty-whoa! Those brews are 9-10% ABV- I can drink 1/2 of one in an evening, cork the bottle and then enjoy the remainder the next night

That's precisely the kind of responsible alcohol use that I frown on.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Middle age setting in

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Tonight, on a cold, snowy Colorado night, I'm drinking Avery's Old Jubilation Winter/Xmas brew. It's quite enjoyable.
    Now very home sick... You probably had a nice fire and sat under a blanket too.

I will have to look for the Old Jubilation tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    lolz

That's actually one of the reasons I like the Reverend. If I pace it just right, I maintain just the right buzz for a few hours.

Therefore the 22 oz Rev is perfectly matched to my limit, and I don't have to think about it. (Which can be ever so hard to do when one is already buzzed.) Which also means no hangover.

ymm, beer

I am not sure there is a beer out there that will numb the agonizing pain from today's loss. Perhaps, Alimony Ale, bitterest beer in America?

I am not sure there is a beer out there that will numb the agonizing pain from today's loss. Perhaps, Alimony Ale, bitterest beer in America?
    I think Shammrog cites the appropriate drink.

Isn't there an Ol' Hemlock?

Billybreen: This is from my new piece of equipment. I love it!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think Shammrog cites the appropriate drink.
    I see no posts on this thread from Shammrog. Can I get a hint or directions to find his citation?

I see no posts on this thread from Shammrog. Can I get a hint or directions to find his citation?
    The comment was probably in reference to Shammrog's signature:
    "I drank WHAT?!?" -Socrates
    Hence my reference to Ol' Hemlock. Actually, it is Castle Rock Hemlock Bitter:
    http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/castle-...-bitter/16459/

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Thanks for the linky-unfortunately, that will be a bit too far to travel to numb the pain from the loss

Numbness?

St George Golden Ale
    Hop Devil Ale
    Chardonnay
    Passport Scotch
    Jello made with half water, half brandy
    Ardbeg Scotch

Nothing worked

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    St George Golden Ale
    Hop Devil Ale
    Chardonnay
    Passport Scotch
    Jello made with half water, half brandy
    Ardbeg Scotch

Nothing worked
    Now that is a BAD loss. I had a Duck-Rabbit Barleywine, realized it wasn't going to work and just drifted off to sleep-with no nightmares of wide left or wide right on a recurring basis

Ymmm, beer

BTTT-to prompt EarlJam to post his reviews of his recently acquired Schlafly's ales.

DevilDeac, so far I've got you two Christmases, two Pumpkins, and a Stout. I still need to get the rest.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

BTTT-to prompt EarlJam to post his reviews of his recently acquired Schlafly's ales.
    So far I've only tried the Stout - and loved it.

I'm going to try a couple more tonight and will post my thoughts! I've never had an Oatmeal beer before. Looking forward to it!

-EarlJam

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

After PMing back and forth with Devildeac I ventured into the land of chocolate beer and bought some 2007-2008 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last week. I've only had one, which I did enjoy for the most part. But I swear I had a mini hang over. Could be that there was 10.6% alcohol in it.

I recently started to appreciate dark beers, had my first Guinness recently, so was a little hesitant in trying this beer. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I did have a chocolate chip cookie with it, never would have thought to have a cookie and a beer together, and both went down well together. It took me a while to drink it, actually there was one last gulp in the glass but as the last few sips didn't taste quite as good as the first few, figured I might as well stop. Did have a little bit of a buzz when I went to bed and hour later and woke up with a headache.

I could taste the chocolate and coffee in it, and will have another one, though not right of way.

I did also buy one other chocolate beer. The guy at Whole Foods said he felt like he was drinking a candy bar when he drank it. Will give that a try soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    After PMing back and forth with Devildeac I ventured into the land of chocolate beer and bought some 2007-2008 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last week. I've only had one, which I did enjoy for the most part. But I swear I had a mini hang over. Could be that there was 10.6% alcohol in it.

I recently started to appreciate dark beers, had my first Guinness recently, so was a little hesitant in trying this beer. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I did have a chocolate chip cookie with it, never would have thought to have a cookie and a beer together, and both went down well together. It took me a while to drink it, actually there was one last gulp in the glass but as the last few sips didn't taste quite as good as the first few, figured I might as well stop. Did have a little bit of a buzz when I went to bed and hour later and woke up with a headache.

I could taste the chocolate and coffee in it, and will have another one, though not right of way.

I did also buy one other chocolate beer. The guy at Whole Foods said he felt like he was drinking a candy bar when he drank it. Will give that a try soon.
    The folks at Brooklyn Breweries have put out a lot of material on what food to pair with what beer. They recently were featured in some sort of FoodChannel show. When in the Pacific Northwest, you can get into a load of discussions about what microbrew to pair with what kind of salmon. It's a lot of fun. My favorite discussion of this sort was in Anchorage, Alaska.

Main point: yeah, don't be surprised by some of the pairings of food and brew.

Yeah... be careful with the 10.6%.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe