Page 1342 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 342842124212921332134013411342134313441352139214421842 ... LastLast
Results 26,821 to 26,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 3/24/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From 4/4/15:

Palo Santo Marron (2/2/11)-Dogfish Head Brewing

I'm still celebrating.

I must "cellar" my ales more carefully than fuse because I thought this 4+ year old version was outstanding. It's an "unfiltered and unfettered" brown ale that is aged in 10,000 gallon Paraguayan Palo Alto wood vessels. Poured an almost opaque mahogany hue with hints of ruby with a very small, short-lived head. Aromas of dark, dried fruits, wood and vanilla. Tastes of the same with a hint of smoke, some caramelized dark sugar and dark rummy notes. Exquisitely smooth and almost oily. This was dangerously drinkable despite its 12% ABV as I allowed it to warm a bit and sipped this 12 ounce serving from a pint glass over 30-45 minutes. Hops are merely bystanders here, even with stated IBUs of 50. This is one of those buy-it-if-you-see-it ales, guessing a 4 pack will set you back about $15 so you can drink one, trade one and age a couple for several years. I've got one left and can't decide what to do with it...

From the last 2 nights:

Another (almost) year of aging, another vintage ale. Same tasting impressions, perhaps even a bit smoother and more resembling a port instead of an imperial brown ale. Always worth having one of these in your storage area.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Comparing DFH Palo Santo Marron (which I really, really liked) and Haw River Torn Paper Leaves Brazilian Oak are like apples and oranges. You’ll get it when you taste it.
    Yes, indeed. My memories of DFH PSM are even more vague and fuzzy than I mis-remembered. It wasn't even aged in Brazilian wood.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Cinnamon Toast Trickery.

“Apple brandy barrel aged imperial milk stout that lies in wait for 13 months. After Trickery is born, we condition on bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. Family Tree exclusive.”

Really nice stout. Sweetness from the brandy barrel, caramel, molasses, cinnamon on the finish. And at 13.5% and a 750ml bottle, it’s one to share or split over a couple of nights.

I’ve been less than impressed with a couple of brandy barrel aged beers like the GBS, they’re just okay. But the addition of vanilla and cinnamon make this a cat 3.

Hardywood does a great job with their now standard group of imperial milk stouts all based off cassowary their base - foolery is BBA, trickery is brandy barrel aged, ruse is red wine barrel aged. They used to do Puffery which was rum barrel aged. Even more interesting variants like this one shows they keep making great beer that’s different.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 05-30-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Cinnamon Toast Trickery.

“Apple brandy barrel aged imperial milk stout that lies in wait for 13 months. After Trickery is born, we condition on bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. Family Tree exclusive.”

Really nice stout. Sweetness from the brandy barrel, caramel, molasses, cinnamon on the finish. And at 13.5% and a 750ml bottle, it’s one to share or split over a couple of nights.

I’ve been less than impressed with a couple of brandy barrel aged beers like the GBS, they’re just okay. But the addition of vanilla and cinnamon make this a cat 3.

Hardywood does a great job with their now standard group of imperial milk stouts all based off cassowary their base - foolery is BBA, trickery is brandy barrel aged, ruse is red wine barrel aged. They used to do Puffery which was rum barrel aged. Even more interesting variants like this one shows they keep making great beer that’s different.
    Yet another benefit for being part of the Family. Sounds wonderful.

I’m saving this exclusive for the next tailgate -

German Chocolate Coffee Cake Foolery, 13.2%ABV - 12 month aged Foolery in A. Smith Bowman's Bourbon barrels unified with all the elements of a slice of German Chocolate Cake and a hot cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’m saving this exclusive for the next tailgate -

German Chocolate Coffee Cake Foolery, 13.2%ABV - 12 month aged Foolery in A. Smith Bowman's Bourbon barrels unified with all the elements of a slice of German Chocolate Cake and a hot cup of coffee.
    You're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!!

I'll have to bring one of my Wolf's Ridge variants to the same tailgate and we can have double desserts .

You're a hero and a scholar. Thanks!!
    FIFY.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Homeboy playing a “major” Monday/Tuesday in Jacksonville, NC. We are staying in Surf City. Any breweries recommended aside from Salty Turtle?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    FIFY.
    Even better, though accfan is still a gentleman, too.

Homeboy playing a “major” Monday/Tuesday in Jacksonville, NC. We are staying in Surf City. Any breweries recommended aside from Salty Turtle?
    Salty Turtle is the only brewery I know in the Surf City, Topsail/North Topsail area. The Peak Tap Room, hopefully re-opened, has about 24 taps with a local emphasis but some national presence, too. Nice assortment of flatbread pizzas that are $10 each no matter how many toppings you put on one. Daddy Mac's (oceanfront) is a nice upscale seafood joint along with Sears Landing on the soundside pretty much at the foot of the wonderful new $55M-ish "flyover" bridge. Michaelangelo's good casual Italian food across from the Food Lion. Surf City BBQ is good, too. Mildly upscale Mexican (?El Camino Real?) at same small strip mall as Surf City BBQ. Take your facemask as I don't think many made it that far east. Don't think Wilmington is worth the 45 minute drive from Surf City for beer, but, there are several really good breweries there. One wine/beer store next to a beachware shop (Wings? Waves?) but hadn't been in years.

Hope that helps.

New Anthem Beer Project, Wilmington Brewing Company, The Sour Barn, and Edward Teach all in Wilmington. I haven't been to Flytrap or Broomtail but usually hear those recommended. Devildeac is your man for Surf City.

Homeboy is going to dominate and then y'all are going to celebrate. Have fun!

Salty Turtle is the only brewery I know in the Surf City, Topsail/North Topsail area. The Peak Tap Room, hopefully re-opened, has about 24 taps with a local emphasis but some national presence, too. Nice assortment of flatbread pizzas that are $10 each no matter how many toppings you put on one. Daddy Mac's (oceanfront) is a nice upscale seafood joint along with Sears Landing on the soundside pretty much at the foot of the wonderful new $55M-ish "flyover" bridge. Michaelangelo's good casual Italian food across from the Food Lion. Surf City BBQ is good, too. Mildly upscale Mexican (?El Camino Real?) at same small strip mall as Surf City BBQ. Take your facemask as I don't think many made it that far east. Don't think Wilmington is worth the 45 minute drive from Surf City for beer, but, there are several really good breweries there. One wine/beer store next to a beachware shop (Wings? Waves?) but hadn't been in years.

Hope that helps.
    I agree. Winston, Raleigh, Charlotte, Saxaphaw, Asheville, and Virginia all have better beer. But there will be plenty to enjoy at the beach

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    New Anthem Beer Project, Wilmington Brewing Company, The Sour Barn, and Edward Teach all in Wilmington. I haven't been to Flytrap or Broomtail but usually hear those recommended. Devildeac is your man for Surf City.

Homeboy is going to dominate and then y'all are going to celebrate. Have fun!
    Had one beer, a tripel, at Flytrap about 3 summers ago and thought it was quite tasty. Had an imperial stout or porter at Waterline during their grand opening week and was also impressed. Was unimpressed with Ironclad. I think fuse gave a thumbs up to Front Street, Wilmington's original brewery (IIRC), a couple years ago as they had improved their beer #s, quality and variety since we were there 5-7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Which reminds me, has Killerleft chosen a style yet?
    I have indeed chosen. And I promise not to get drunk until AFTER I ring the bell to start the Pub, whenever that may be.

As devildeac noted a couple posts post yours, the number of the styles will be two:

1 - Fruit(ed) beers
    2 - Milkshake IPAs

I have only tried a couple of fruit beers. One I don't recall, and the other was Founders Rubaeus. It was pretty good. The bartender at the High Point location of The Brewer's Kettle then mixed it with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale. That was better, the balance between the two worked very well. At least he made it an all-Michigan affair.

I'll try to sample a few fruit beers to educate myself a bit. It would be easier in normal times, but flights are pretty much out right now. Good thing we have several Ymm, Beerers who love this style.

The 27th gives the best lead time, but I have no problem with the 20th either. Whichever makes it easiest for us to have more participants. Late in the AM may be fine, but that's flexible, too, if I can win a tartlet!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We used to be Topsail regulars, but it has been since just after the Kyrie Irving Cameo since we have been back. Wilmington is a no-go, because it is in the opposite direction from J-Vegas. Will report any good beer finds, of course.

And if Homeboy plays like yesterday, DFL not out of the question. They call it golf because all the other four-letter words were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I have indeed chosen. And I promise not to get drunk until AFTER I ring the bell to start the Pub, whenever that may be.

As devildeac noted a couple posts post yours, the number of the styles will be two:

1 - Fruit(ed) beers
    2 - Milkshake IPAs

I have only tried a couple of fruit beers. One I don't recall, and the other was Founders Rubaeus. It was pretty good. The bartender at the High Point location of The Brewer's Kettle then mixed it with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale. That was better, the balance between the two worked very well. At least he made it an all-Michigan affair.

I'll try to sample a few fruit beers to educate myself a bit. It would be easier in normal times, but flights are pretty much out right now. Good thing we have several Ymm, Beerers who love this style.

The 27th gives the best lead time, but I have no problem with the 20th either. Whichever makes it easiest for us to have more participants. Late in the AM may be fine, but that's flexible, too, if I can win a tartlet!
    Dumb question from this predominantly liquor and wine drinker —

What (if any) difference is there between a fruit beer and a cider?

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

1 - Fruit(ed) beers
    2 - Milkshake IPAs

I'm on call June 26-28 so the 20th works better for me. However, if the 20th is better for most folks, I'd still be fine with June 27 as I'll sequester reviews from Tuesday-Thursday that week and then post them on Saturday. I've arranged it that way for a couple previous pubs, so not a big deal at all when you schedule the event.

Thanks again for agreeing to host. I really like the two options for tasting and will stock up a bit on both options in the next couple weeks, knowing the milkshake choice might be a bit difficult to locate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Not dumb at all.

A fruit beer is any beer with fruit added and might range from something light like a wheat beer (I think you'd have some difficulty finding a fruited pilsner/lager) to an imperial stout with berries and/or cherries. A cider is an apple-based fermented beverage and many are additionally "fruited" with pear, cherry and berry flavors. Your local craft beer specialty store steward (not Stewart) would likely be very helpful in helping with your selections.

As a follow up to this, you could always return to your Belgian theme and taste a couple or three Lambics for killerleft's Virtual Pub. Lindemans makes world class Lambics and the framboise and kriek are superb. The pomme is very good, too. I've never had the peche.

As a follow up to this, you could always return to your Belgian theme and taste a couple or three Lambics for killerleft's Virtual Pub. Lindemans makes world class Lambics and the framboise and kriek are superb. The pomme is very good, too. I've never had the peche.
    Thanks, I was hoping this was the answer.

I’m a big IPA fan but never had a milkshake IPA.. I just get the image of mixing a Stone IPA with a Genesee Cleam Ale, and well — I order something else.

Thanks, I was hoping this was the answer.

I’m a big IPA fan but never had a milkshake IPA.. I just get the image of mixing a Stone IPA with a Genesee Cleam Ale, and well — I order something else.
    LOL. Not quite. A milkshake IPA means lactose is added to an IPA while brewing, usually with vanilla and a fruit or three.