Page 1076 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 76576976102610661074107510761077107810861126117615762076 ... LastLast
Results 21,501 to 21,520 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Out of the loop again for one more night with work. Younger daughter in town visiting until Tuesday AM so will have to crack open a good one or three tomorrow night after work .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Oxblood Initiate - Newgrass Brewing - 6.2 % ABV - Foeder aged American wild brown sour ale refermented on Montmorency Cherries - One off

Pour was good - dark brown black, like cola with lingering half-inch tan head.
    Nose smells like faint red wine vinegar.
    This tastes like maybe a pretty watered down version of the amazing Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett sour I reviewed above. It's not really fair to compare this to that of course. But after drinking it, I am going to compare because this was overpriced and that one was a great value for its quality. This was $14.99 for 16.9 ounce bottle. The sour here is mild and nice. The cherry is more subtle here, cherry notes come through at times. The finish is dry, but needs some work.
    Overall, this is a good beer, fuse category 2 if you could get it cheap. It's enjoyable enough.

Cheers and hope everybody has a great week! I'm getting ready for some Oktoberfests and BBA Sexual chocoalte, oh my.

Firestone Walker 2018 Stickee Monkee

A purchase from Goldsboro Brew Works on Saturday night. If you like Boulevard's BBA Quad (and you know who you are ), you'll absolutely love this beer. From the brewer:

Brewed with Belgian candi sugar and aged in a selection of fine bourbon barrels, Stickee Monkee trailblazes its own category as a “Central Coast Quad.” The name Stickee Monkee is a nod to the Central Coast’s native Sticky Monkey flower, as well as a shoutI'm a real wanker for saying this.‐out to the Belgian monks who pioneered the Quad style.

It has been said that the only constant is change and the same is true for barrel-aged beers. Cut from a similar recipe, this barrel-aged Quad evolves and shows a different face each year; a result of time spent aging in the barrel. Turbinado brown sugar from Mexico adds wonderful molasses flavors that are reminiscent of Belgian candi sugar. It has a full body and lush texture with barrel expression all over; toasted oak, coconut, leather and rich cigar tobacco.
    This is definitely a Cat 3 beer. Pours a deep, deep brown (75 SRM) with little to no head on it. Aromas of dark fruit, coconut, and a hint of leather. Must be sipped, because it's pretty boozy at 11.4% ABV. IBU's check in at 36, so not overly sweet or overly bitter. Just a terrifically balanced, rich and flavorful Quad. I wish I had purchased two, so that I could age one for about a year and see how it changes.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    A purchase from Goldsboro Brew Works on Saturday night. If you like Boulevard's BBA Quad (and you know who you are ), you'll absolutely love this beer. From the brewer:

This is definitely a Cat 3 beer. Pours a deep, deep brown (75 SRM) with little to no head on it. Aromas of dark fruit, coconut, and a hint of leather. Must be sipped, because it's pretty boozy at 11.4% ABV. IBU's check in at 36, so not overly sweet or overly bitter. Just a terrifically balanced, rich and flavorful Quad. I wish I had purchased two, so that I could age one for about a year and see how it changes.
    Sounds amazing. I'll be on the lookout here before we head to Ohio on Thursday and, if unsuccessful here, I'll be shopping in Columbus, too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds amazing. I'll be on the lookout here before we head to Ohio on Thursday and, if unsuccessful here, I'll be shopping in Columbus, too.
    Besides Zaftigs and Warped Wing, pick up any JackieO’s BBA selection you see. You won’t be disappointed unless you don’t care for high abv, tasty, interesting stouts

I have 24 different 12oz. bottles from JackieO’s from my visit. Spent a fortune at $10-$12 a piece.

Also if you like bourbon visit Whiskey War, good bourbon and whiskey (they have a smoked Manhattan) good food and a nice local draft list.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 09-16-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Besides Zaftigs and Warped Wing, pick up any JackieO’s BBA selection you see. You won’t be disappointed unless you don’t care for high abv, tasty, interesting stouts

I have 24 different 12oz. bottles from JackieO’s from my visit. Spent a fortune at $10-$12 a piece.

Also if you like bourbon visit Whiskey War, good bourbon and whiskey (they have a smoked Manhattan) good food and a nice local draft list.

All great tips. Thanks!! Will keep you posted. You will be joining us at DBR's Septemberfest Virtual Pub on Ymm, Beer this Saturday, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    All great tips. Thanks!! Will keep you posted. You will be joining us at DBR's Septemberfest Virtual Pub on Ymm, Beer this Saturday, correct?
    Yes. I don’t have a beer called Octoberfest, if I open my Hardywoods Rum Barrel Pumpkin does that qualify?

Yes. I don’t have a beer called Octoberfest, if I open my Hardywoods Rum Barrel Pumpkin does that qualify?
    It does not qualify.

You will have to seek out (a) local Octoberfest(s) from Veil, Hardywood, Vasen or brewer(s) of your choice to participate in the gaiety/frivolity that is Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub Day .

Beside, your above-named beer *might* just fit for October's theme, especially if you accept my nomination to host AND declare the beer style of your choice on the Saturday you select next month.

I see devildeac's being a Curmudgeon again , but it's not like I'd just refuse to read your review if you were inclined to post it . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I see devildeac's being a Curmudgeon again , but it's not like I'd just refuse to read your review if you were inclined to post it . . . . .
    Curmudgeonly indeed . Hope I didn't sound too harsh. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Amazingly, 7/25 for me: The Substance courtesy of fuse's Maine beer-cation and Falcon Smash from a Richmond restaurant in July on the bartender's suggestion.

Nice list, mattman.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This says published 9/11. Either it is eerily similar to a prior posted list, or the number one beer is throwing me off.

Only 6/25.

https://vinepair.com/articles/most-important-ipas-2019/
    😳😜🤣🤣🤣😇🔵😈

😳😜🤣🤣🤣😇🔵😈
    That is eerie, which is not a lake on the US-Canadian border .

😳😜🤣🤣🤣😇🔵😈
    Dammit, you are always one step ahead of me

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Dammit, you are always one step ahead of me
    All in good fun 😀

You’re in the Jungle Baby. Yes this is a beer name. And it has cool bottle artwork, and a great beer to match. A collaboration between JackieO’s and Evil Twin Brewing. Imperial stout brewed with honey, aged in bourbon barrels, conditioned on Mexico cacao nibs, vanilla beans, Pasilla chilles, and orange peel.
    14.4% Abv.

You get chocolate and bourbon up front, and a slight pepper/heat and orange on the finish. Truly an awesome beer, not just for desert. I had a couple of JackieO’s beers that my sister brought my from Ohio, but I made her drive to Athens to see their catalog. I don’t know how a brewery from little Athens, Ohio does so many interesting BBA stouts, but they are great. They aren’t cheap at $10-$12 a -2.7 oz. bottle, but they are really great.

All in good fun 😀
    He has an advanced beer feed/sense, just like moonpie in chat .

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nancy - Allagash Brewing - American Wild Ale - 5.7 % ABV

From the bottle - "a tart ale that brings local cherries together with Brettanomyces yeast. The beer is fermented for over a year in a stainless steel tank on a blend of Maine-grown Balaton and Montmorrency cherries. Copper in color, Nancy's flavor is a medley of citrus, cherry, and pie spice, with a hint of graham cracker. The finish is dry and refreshingly tart."

If you like fruited sour beers, this is a Strong fuse Category 1 - get some, highly recommended, crazy good sour. They have lots at Stella.

It's delicious, and a perfectly balanced cherry sour. It's funky and sour (not puckering), but the powerful cherry flavors are most prominent. The light cinnamon enhances the cherry with some bready pie crust in there too from the malt. It's complex, starting out tart, unripe cherry followed by sweet ripe cherry flavor but not too sweet. That is followed by a dry but still sweet flavor. It's very drinkable, crisp, and refreshing, with bubbly carbonation.

I will revisit. I've found the perfect beer to pair with that dark chocolate cherry ganache pie from Grand Traverse. If only I could win another one!
    Grabbed a bottle of this at Stella following this review, and had it last night. Can't argue at all with this review. I liked it quite a lot. And it wasn't even Dancing . . . . .

Richmond beer update:

One for TW...
    One for RJ199...
    One for devildeac...

Rinse
    Lather
    Repeat

No worries, fuse, our New Glarus delivery will arrive in Columbus on Saturday evening. Then it'll be:

One for fuse...
    One for RJ199...
    One for devildeac...

Rinse
    Lather
    Repeat