Page 1013 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1351391396310031011101210131014101510231063111315132013 ... LastLast
Results 20,241 to 20,260 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    After this and the yellowferrari you reviewed, I'm starting to regret not doubling my order from Veil last Saturday.

Speaking of your wife, you'll have to take her to Wisconsin sometime to try some of the New Glarus fruit beers...
    Absolutely. The New Glarus descriptions I've read have my mouth watering.

I'm still shocked the Mrs. liked a berlinerweisse. It saddened my heart when she thought the Grimm Canopy door still tasted "like beer." But she's lovely and vivacious, so she can get away with that. She probably likes strawberry ice cream too. I should probably know that by now.

And I tried to find that Oxbow Cherry jackpot at Stella today. They had a few Oxbow beers, but not that one. They had some kind of festival going on right outside their door and they were swamped, so I didn't bug them with putting in a request for it. But I will.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Absolutely. The New Glarus descriptions I've read have my mouth watering.

I'm still shocked the Mrs. liked a berlinerweisse. It saddened my heart when she thought the Grimm Canopy door still tasted "like beer." But she's lovely and vivacious, so she can get away with that. She probably likes strawberry ice cream too. I should probably know that by now.

And I tried to find that Oxbow Cherry jackpot at Stella today. They had a few Oxbow beers, but not that one. They had some kind of festival going on right outside their door and they were swamped, so I didn't bug them with putting in a request for it. But I will.
    Ha! We had 3 mini-tarts this afternoon. Mrs. dd had the pecan, I had the mixed berry and we shared the key lime pie. When we returned to the house, she made me guess which one was her favorite and I easily guessed key lime pie so...

Key Lime Pie-Funky Buddha

Richardjackson199's first installment/payment of "consult fees."

Poured from a 12 ounce can into two small/short wine glasses (unequally distributed-read on). Color was way more lemon than lime with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Smelled like freshly squeezed and lightly sweetened limeade to me. Mrs. dd said, "Smells like beer" (I'm already thinking "more for me at this point"). Tbyers11 pretty much nailed the tastes with mildly sour/tart lime with some simple syrup sweetness with a splash of vanilla (added) and barely perceptible cinnamon (also added). Graham crackers aren't an ingredient but the finish is a bit of brown sugar and graham cracker. Mrs. dd's first and only taste comment was, "Tastes like beer" (sound familiar?). I fell on the marital sword and graciously volunteered to finish her portion (). I'll guess 10 IBUs based on the style (Berliner-style wheat ale; aka Berliner Weisse) with the ABV at 5%. A very pleasant liquid dessert after an hour walk on the beach as the sun set.

Also, a very fine start to enjoying those "consult fees." Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 5/21/19:

Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief (draft)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

The $4 half pint's appearance was almost as thick and juicy as the 450 North Brewing 420 Juice that davec provided last month when we visited Columbus, IN. Color was fresh-to-overripe pineapple. Nose was pineapple, coconut, orange, lime and dark rum and palate-tantalizing flavors matched with a thick, juicy mouthfeel. It's an imperial NEIPA so I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was a dangerous 9.4%. A beer colada? Or should that be a piña beer-lada? An amazing upgrade from an already outstanding "base" beer, Pineapple Thief. Worth a beer-hunting expedition. Here's the Bottle Revolution/SPBC description:

"This Imperial version of Pineapple Thief Fruited New England IPA was fermented with pineapple purée before being aged in Jamaican rum barrels. The beer was then brought out of barrels and dry hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic before being conditioned on coconut chips."
    Might as well get started early this AM. Posting, that is. This beer was savored last PM.

Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Stamped on bottom of can: Canned on 04/29/19

Pint can for about $5.50.

Still pretty fresh and juicy after about 2.5 months in storage but bought less than a month ago with a 10% off Total Wine coupon. The IBUs were revealed on the label and clocked in at 25, amazingly low, even for a NEIPA. Bitterness was minimal and even Mrs. dd was interested/intrigued as she took several sips before declaring, "I'd still rather have a piña colada." (More for me!)

Ha! We had 3 mini-tarts this afternoon. Mrs. dd had the pecan, I had the mixed berry and we shared the key lime pie. When we returned to the house, she made me guess which one was her favorite and I easily guessed key lime pie so...

Key Lime Pie-Funky Buddha

Richardjackson199's first installment/payment of "consult fees."

Poured from a 12 ounce can into two small/short wine glasses (unequally distributed-read on). Color was way more lemon than lime with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Smelled like freshly squeezed and lightly sweetened limeade to me. Mrs. dd said, "Smells like beer" (I'm already thinking "more for me at this point"). Tbyers11 pretty much nailed the tastes with mildly sour/tart lime with some simple syrup sweetness with a splash of vanilla (added) and barely perceptible cinnamon (also added). Graham crackers aren't an ingredient but the finish is a bit of brown sugar and graham cracker. Mrs. dd's first and only taste comment was, "Tastes like beer" (sound familiar?). I fell on the marital sword and graciously volunteered to finish her portion (). I'll guess 10 IBUs based on the style (Berliner-style wheat ale; aka Berliner Weisse) with the ABV at 5%. A very pleasant liquid dessert after an hour walk on the beach as the sun set.

Also, a very fine start to enjoying those "consult fees." Thanks!
    On my Stella run yesterday I got a copy of each of the 3 consult fees so that I could enjoy them alongside. We saw your review, and the Mrs. and I enjoyed the Key Lime Funky Buddha as a dessert nightcap last evening as well.
    I really liked it - better than I expected. I'll rate 4.25. It's pleasantly more complex than I expected - not too sweet, definitely taste the nice key lime which comes in later on the palate, and I loved the brown sugar graham cracker taste finish. Early I felt like I could taste the cinnamon. I couldn't really taste any vanilla or creaminess (which was fine), so yes more key limeade consistency, but much much better. If you like Key Lime, I'd definitely recommend trying this fun little summer dessert beer.

As for the Mrs., heretofore she has made a "I'm disgusted" face with everything she's tried, usually limited to 1 curious sip. Except she liked the Eager to Bleed from the Veil. She loves key lime pie, and she took several sips of this one. She said "I can kind of taste the lime. I wouldn't drink a can of this by choice. But I can tolerate a few sips. It's not bad." That is generous praise from this toughest of critics. And I confirmed, strawberry ice cream would not be one of her top choices of flavor, "but I would eat any ice cream."

Now I want to try a baltic porter. Maybe this winter.

On my Stella run yesterday I got a copy of each of the 3 consult fees so that I could enjoy them alongside. We saw your review, and the Mrs. and I enjoyed the Key Lime Funky Buddha as a dessert nightcap last evening as well.
    I really liked it - better than I expected. I'll rate 4.25. It's pleasantly more complex than I expected - not too sweet, definitely taste the nice key lime which comes in later on the palate, and I loved the brown sugar graham cracker taste finish. Early I felt like I could taste the cinnamon. I couldn't really taste any vanilla or creaminess (which was fine), so yes more key limeade consistency, but much much better. If you like Key Lime, I'd definitely recommend trying this fun little summer dessert beer.

As for the Mrs., heretofore she has made a "I'm disgusted" face with everything she's tried, usually limited to 1 curious sip. Except she liked the Eager to Bleed from the Veil. She loves key lime pie, and she took several sips of this one. She said "I can kind of taste the lime. I wouldn't drink a can of this by choice. But I can tolerate a few sips. It's not bad." That is generous praise from this toughest of critics. And I confirmed, strawberry ice cream would not be one of her top choices of flavor, "but I would eat any ice cream."

This has me thinking about beers to suggest to those who may not yet know they like beer 😀

Lone Rider Sweet Josie Brown
    Anchor Steam
    Maine Beer Company pale ales (MO, Peeper, a tiny beautiful something)
    Allagash Tripel / Allagash White
    Rodenbach Fruitage
    Dogfish Head Piercing Pils, maybe SeaQuench
    Most of Southern Peak’s beer
    Most of Brueprints year round beer

None of this is validated “in the field”; just thinking the overall theme might be low ABV, low IBU and potentially fruited beer, or beer that trends sweet/caramel and not bitter. Certainly there are big beers that are more like wine. Maybe even the exaggerated beer styles from Southern Tier are worth inclusion as they are so bold and different.

None come to mind by name, but low ABV low IBU NEIPAs or Brut IPAs may also be worth a shot.

I am sure there is a lot in Sam Adams portfolio that might also qualify.

Talk with fuse about the bolded-he *may* have some in storage...

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This has me thinking about beers to suggest to those who may not yet know they like beer 😀

Lone Rider Sweet Josie Brown
    Anchor Steam
    Maine Beer Company pale ales (MO, Peeper, a tiny beautiful something)
    Allagash Tripel / Allagash White
    Rodenbach Fruitage
    Dogfish Head Piercing Pils, maybe SeaQuench
    Most of Southern Peak’s beer
    Most of Brueprints year round beer

None of this is validated “in the field”; just thinking the overall theme might be low ABV, low IBU and potentially fruited beer, or beer that trends sweet/caramel and not bitter. Certainly there are big beers that are more like wine. Maybe even the exaggerated beer styles from Southern Tier are worth inclusion as they are so bold and different.

None come to mind by name, but low ABV low IBU NEIPAs or Brut IPAs may also be worth a shot.

I am sure there is a lot in Sam Adams portfolio that might also qualify.
    Those are all really good suggestions "to those who may not yet know they like beer." (nicely phrased )

Wheat ales are also nice introductions to beers, especially some of the authentic German ones.

Interesting sidebar: our older daughter really didn't like beer until recently (maybe a year or two ago) and yesterday she sent me a screen shot from Resident Culture of an imperial stout w/coconut and peanut butter collaboration with WeldWorks Brewing that weighed in at 13% ABV and she raved about it.

Pineapple Orange-(manufactured for) Duo Juice Company

"Flavored blend of pineapple, apple and orange juices from concentrate with other natural flavors and ingredients"

Posted merely to point out that this looked and tasted a lot like the Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief I sipped last PM, without the alcohol, of course. However, if you drizzled a tablespoon or two of dark rum into my noon/lunch glass of this 100% juice, I *might* have a bit of difficulty telling them apart.

(also posted here cuz we don't have a Ymm, Juice thread )

Stella run of my own. Bright-[Bottom] Tank Top remains terrific. So is that New Sarum multi-berry Berliner weisse about which RJ199 has been raving. Grabbed some Olde Hickory hefe for Mrs.Tripping’s palate, and Wise Man’s Death to Kettle Sour Berliner weisse that someone mentioned upthread. And a secret NEIPA FOR Saturday...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Stella run of my own. Bright-[Bottom] Tank Top remains terrific. So is that New Sarum multi-berry Berliner weisse about which RJ199 has been raving. Grabbed some Olde Hickory hefe for Mrs.Tripping’s palate, and Wise Man’s Death to Kettle Sour Berliner weisse that someone mentioned upthread. And a secret NEIPA FOR Saturday...
    Sounds like a tasty haul.

I'll probably do a bit of shopping Friday night after we arrive in Ohio for my super secret NEIPA for Saturday...

Heavy Cream-BearWaters Brewing Company

Drink NC!

This was beer #3 in my June beer club 4 pack.

My vigorous pour from the 12 ounce can yielded a dark brown (milk) stout with a generous, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and a bit of coffee. Tastes of coffee (not added), cream and chocolate again. Mouthfeel was a bit thin. Mildly sweet and roasty with heavy-roasted malt/grain bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 5%.

Not a bad milk stout given the BearWaters beer fuse reviewed last week and the BearWaters/7 Clan IPA I had but not good enough for me to try other brews from this brewery.

Charms and Hexes Batch 5-Banded Brewing Company

Buy local then transport across many state lines from Maine to NC! Another tip of the tulip to fuse!

Pint can dumped quickly into a small Allagash tulip (in 2 equal portions) unveiled a light yellow-gold elixir (do I see a bit of pink, too?) with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Nose is passion fruit (I guess) with some lemon-lime, meaning some sweet yet tartness. First taste is mild passion fruit, followed by a bit of guava bitterness that accompanies a bit of orange, strawberry and more lemon-lime. My sour sensors work first but the finish is slightly sweet. It certainly qualifies as a sour ale as labeled but the pucker is pleasant. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV is 5.2%. Very pleasant beverage to sip on whilst posting on a hot, steamy summer night. Here are their Charms and Hexes releases:

"*Next* Batch 6 (7/18/29): Hibiscus & Pineapple
    Batch 5 (5/9/19): Passion Fruit & Guava
    Batch 4 (2/28/19): Blackberries
    Batch 3 (1/10/19): Blood Oranges
    Batch 2 (11/21/18): Apples & Raspberries
    Batch 1 (9/14/18): Nectarines & Strawberries"

I especially like the fact that they're going >10 years between Batches 5 & 6 .

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinio...mpression=true

How can any business go $100B in debt???? 👀🤯

This isn’t even really commentary on AB-Inbev, or beer.
    What a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinio...mpression=true

How can any business go $100B in debt???? 👀🤯

This isn’t even really commentary on AB-Inbev, or beer.
    What a time to be alive.
    Staggering amounts of any currency.

Heavy Cream-BearWaters Brewing Company

Drink NC!

This was beer #3 in my June beer club 4 pack.

My vigorous pour from the 12 ounce can yielded a dark brown (milk) stout with a generous, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and a bit of coffee. Tastes of coffee (not added), cream and chocolate again. Mouthfeel was a bit thin. Mildly sweet and roasty with heavy-roasted malt/grain bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 5%.

Not a bad milk stout given the BearWaters beer fuse reviewed last week and the BearWaters/7 Clan IPA I had but not good enough for me to try other brews from this brewery.
    Have you had the Passionfruit sour from Bearwaters? I'm not sure if they can it, but it is excellent! Just the right amount of fruityness and sour together. Me and the wife head over to Canton from Asheville when we need our sour kick. Most of the others at BearWaters are fairly unmemorable, but the sour definitely is worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Have you had the Passionfruit sour from Bearwaters? I'm not sure if they can it, but it is excellent! Just the right amount of fruityness and sour together. Me and the wife head over to Canton from Asheville when we need our sour kick. Most of the others at BearWaters are fairly unmemorable, but the sour definitely is worth the trip.
    Never had the Passionfruit sour as the 2 Bearwaters beers I've tasted/reviewed in the last week or so were the first ones I've ever seen in the Triangle area. Fuse reviewed Mountain Mojo (IIRC) last week and didn't like it at all.

How have you found HiWire's sours since they started "emphasizing" those a couple years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Cheats could license the brewing of this fine product:

https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/...uto/beer_49802

Cheats could license the brewing of this fine product:

https://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/...uto/beer_49802
    I think the fine citizens of Kentucky would object to a UNC license 🤣

Never had the Passionfruit sour as the 2 Bearwaters beers I've tasted/reviewed in the last week or so were the first ones I've ever seen in the Triangle area. Fuse reviewed Mountain Mojo (IIRC) last week and didn't like it at all.

How have you found HiWire's sours since they started "emphasizing" those a couple years ago?
    Hiwire is another “never had a bad beer” brewery.

I think I have had a variety of their beers, not sure how many sours, though.