Page 894 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39479484488489289389489589690494499413941894 ... LastLast
Results 17,861 to 17,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not surprising. I think you may have said that last year. Or was it 2016? Too many brews/posts ago .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Damn Right (more illegible dots on bottom of can)-Gizmo Brew Works

Pineapple Milkshake IPA

Sounds like the same basic recipe with pineapple puree substituted for the raspberry puree. Pretty juicy, tropical stuff with some pineapple sweetness and a bit of pineapple "core" or rind. I might have actually liked the Pink Guava Milkshake IPA best but that was also the only draft version of the 4 milkshake IPAs that I tasted. Very good offering.

Love how this poured out of the can.
    First crack, some froth ready to go.

Had to take some time to pour the full 12oz as the first half pour filled a pint glass about half beer, half head.

Smells like Dole Pineapple juice.

Takes like hoppy pineapple juice and that’s a great thing.

Crazy how well hidden 8% ABV this is.

I actually think I like this one better than the raspberry.

Love how this poured out of the can.
    First crack, some froth ready to go.

Had to take some time to pour the full 12oz as the first half pour filled a pint glass about half beer, half head.

Smells like Dole Pineapple juice.

Takes like hoppy pineapple juice and that’s a great thing.

Crazy how well hidden 8% ABV this is.

I actually think I like this one better than the raspberry.
    The Pink Guava Milkshake IPA I had on draft at Gizmo was real tasty, too.

I have a bomber of the Strawberry Milkshake IPA I'll be sharing with our son next weekend when we make another grandson visit. This one was not available in 4 packs.

I have visited and/or tasted beverages from 18/50. I don't think I've ever had a Surly or Toppling Goliath brew and many of the others get a "who the heck are they?" I hope mattman fulfills his promise to load up his vehicle with Tree House (and Trillium) brews when he takes his northeast beercation next summer or fall. Half Acre in NY and Jester King in TX are 2 other breweries I'd like to visit/try some products.

From 11/12/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    So Happens It's Tuesday-The Bruery

Stunning beer. It's not often I have that reaction to a hand-crafted ale but Thursday night was one of those times. First off, August West deserves an immense amount of credit for seeking this foil-wrapped/capped 750 ml bottle out (Sam's Quick Shop, IIRC) and shelling out $20 (I'm guessing) to purchase this and then deciding to share it with us. Foresight, knowledge, generosity and kindness. Many, many thanks. On to the beer (really difficult to just call this beer.)

Seductive and alluring immediately after opening with bourbon and dark chocolate. We divided this among of us. Pour was onyx and totally opaque as an imperial stout should be. AW held it up to our spotlight and no light was transmitted. Why? The SRM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Reference_Method) was 100 and imperial stouts are on this scale with a 40+ number. Pour was 10W30. No head. Mouthfeel was incredibly smooth and silky but also thick and chewy. Think Attachment 6852 and Attachment 6853. No nuts. Tastes were the expected dark chocolate, bourbon, some dark fruits and black molasses. And a bit more warming bourbon at the end. IBUs of 22 were surprisingly low given the style as most Russian imperial stouts are 50-60 or higher. ABV was a massive 14.7%, just shy of the NC limit for sale in the state. Flavors became even more pronounced and complex as it warmed a bit and we sipped over 15-20 minutes. Forget any pairings (but we just had to try it with some coffee bean-topped espresso fudge cups). Truly amazing concoction. The only other beverage that stands out to me in recent years is the BBA Old Stock Ale 2009 that I brought to the Duke-cheaters tailgate in 2014. August West noted that So Happens It's Tuesday (I'd like to abbreviate it or put it in acronym form but I'm not even gonna try with the board filters () has a big brother called Black Tuesday which rolls in at 20% (or more) ABV, so, if someone would like to leave it under our Christmas tree this year, let me know and I'll leave the chimney open ).

We had some excellent beverages Thursday night but this was extraordinary.

I'm almost ready to abandon liquid contributions to our tastings and just bring some currency to each game and ask August West how much I owe him for a place at our tasting table.
    From 11/24/18:

So Happens It's Tuesday (2016)-The Bruery

During the tailgate, this was once again a superb 750 ml concoction that we shared 3 ways. After the score got to be 0-21 and 7-28, the acronym for this beer described the play on the field much better:

So
    Happens
    It's
    Tuesday

I won't try to describe it again but the ophthalmic, olfactory and gustatory sensations were duplicated pretty much precisely as they were experienced 2 years ago.

Many, many thanks again to August West for cellaring this for a couple years and sharing again!!

Tröegs Independent Brewing makes really good beers. More later. Might be enough to get me back to Total Wine soon to get a 6er of Mad Elf.

7% ABV and 11 IBUs?

Perpetual-Tröegs Independent Brewing

Trader #1 from August West from Saturday. Thanks!

This is quite the 12 pack that he purchased with 2 brews I've never had before (this one and a small batch cranberry porter I'll sip as a nightcap tonight) and the other 2 with significant gaps between my tastings.

This is one of their IPAs and a rather distinctive one, too. Poured a light yellow-gold with a creamy head. Mixed bouquet of citrus and tropical fruits when decanted and tastes of the expected grapefruit, orange and a bit of pine oil, but not unpleasant. There's a touch of honey sweetness (not added). I'd have never guessed 85 IBUs (). ABV was 7.5%, placing this solidly on the border between an IPA and a IIPA. This was quite palatable without a pairing a couple nights ago but would be happy with some curry or mildly spicy fare.

Ingredients:

Malts: Crystal, Munich, Pilsner
    Hops: Bravo, Chinook, Mt. Hood
    HopBack Hops: Mt. Hood, Nugget
    Dry Hops: Cascade, Citra

Troegenator-Troegs Independent Brewing

Trader #2. Thanks again to August West!

Probably one of my favorite doppelbocks.

Pour was a medium brown-amber with a small tan head. Smells like toasted bread and tastes like milk chocolate, light caramel, wheat toast, dried cherries and a drop or two of coffee. Minimal bitterness at 25 IBUs with the expected ABV at 8.2%. Their story:

"Monks had fasting figured out. No food? No problem. Just drink a Double Bock. Thick and chewy with intense notes of caramel, chocolate and dried stone fruit, ‘Nator (as we call him) serves as a tribute to this liquid bread style."

Ingredients:

Malt: Chocolate, Munich, Pilsner
    Hops: German Northern Brewer, Magnum
    Yeast: Lager

Blizzard of Hops-Troegs Independent Brewing

Bottle #3 from Saturday from August West. Thank you! Again.

A rather fascinating winter IPA with a cloudy, lemon-colored pour with a small off-white head. This stuff smells like freshly squeezed lemon juice and tastes like candied grapefruit, dried fruitcake pineapple (I like fruitcake ) but not the nasty green stuff (), with slivers of lemon and orange rinds and a hint of resin. The explanation lies in the hop and grain varieties (pilsner=lemon-y; wheat=orange-y). IBUs (claimed) at 80 but drinks more like 50 with the ABV at 6.4%. Quite a nice style/effort/seasonal offering. Ingredients:

Malt: Pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, White Wheat
    Hops: Centennial, Chinook, El Dorado
    Dry Hops: Chinook, Galaxy
    Yeast: Ale

Ranking brut IPAs, of which I’ve had none:

https://vinepair.com/buy-this-booze/...-best-ranking/

Any opinions on craft breweries doing "light" lagers? On one hand, it may be a nice gateway for non craft beer drinkers. On the other hand, it is a complete waste of money to purchase what is ultimately a glorified Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Any opinions on craft breweries doing "light" lagers? On one hand, it may be a nice gateway for non craft beer drinkers. On the other hand, it is a complete waste of money to purchase what is ultimately a glorified Bud Light.
    I'm with you. I'm happy with a good pilsner/lager/wheat beer/summer shandy at 4-5% ABV but not wasting my $$ on a "light" beer.

0-fer here, too. Not only that, I've never heard of several of those breweries.

I've probably only had 2-3 brut IPAs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I’ll run counter to what I will expect be the prevailing opinion.

I’m 100% for craft beer besting the big breweries at their own game, with a slight twist.

I agree its not worth the extra money for a craft corn sugar adjunct lager, or some of what I think are being called Mexican light lagers riffing on Corona.

Something like Sam Adams Noble Pils, Victory Prima Pils where you are getting good (maybe even local) malt and authentic hops, I am completely in favor of. I’ve been to quite a few brewpubs that make a decent lager or pilsner offering. New Glarus Totally Naked also comes to mind. Orange Blossom Pilsner and its big brother OB2 are also excellent. Sierra Nevada Summerfest, and Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils. DFH Piercing Pils. All are craft lagers I’ve enjoyed.

It will be interesting to see if lagers evolve as craft brewers experiment. Fruited lagers? Sour lagers? Barrel aged lagers? I’d be willing to bet if I haven’t had one already, a Citra, Mosaic or new “fruity hop” lager would be a big hit.
    Last edited by fuse; 11-30-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Stiff Arm (stamped on bottom of can: BASKETS 181108)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Previously reviewed as a draft taster. This is being posted between sips from a 12 ounce can drained semi-vigorously into a standard pint glass.

Poured a light bronze with a single finger head (not *that* finger ). This one is dank and grapefruity to start with and finishes with orange and grapefruit zest, a drop of caramel and a hint of pine oil. IBUs on the website at 50 but I wrote down 60 at the brewery last week from their draft list. No big deal. ABV is 6.4%. I'd like a shrimp curry with this, please. A solid offering in a very crowded field. Happy to keep 1 or 2 more from my 6er and trade/share the rest. August West already received one.

Cranberry Porter-Troegs Independent Brewing

Scratch Series #351

Their explanation:

"One of the many things we love about our Scratch Series is the opportunity it gives is to spotlight seasonal ingredients. Each fall, when farmers flood their bogs and harvest loads of deep red cranberries, our minds go right to Cranberry Porter. Chocolate malt and a smidgen of Special B caramel malt lay a roasty backbone, while cranberries add a pleasantly tart, fruity finish."

The players:

Malt: Chocolate, Crystal, Munich, Pilsner, Roasted Barley, Special B
    Hops: Galena, Willamette
    Yeast: House Ale

The credit for trader #4:

August West. Thanks!

The tasting:

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass last PM. Color was dark brown with a flash of ruby. Head was creamy and modest and light tan. Nose was milk chocolate, berries and a hint of coffee. Tastes were the same with very mild bitterness from the heavily roasted grains and not the hops (no IBUs quoted so I'll guess about 30). The finish was dry, a bit tart yet a bit sweet, too, and very berry. ABV was 6.8%, a bit high for a porter but not imperial stats. This was a gem of a beer and my favorite of the 4 traders even with the different IPA styles and the doppelbock previously reviewed.

I'd highly recommend this 12 pack if you can find one, keeping it all to yourself or for sharing and/or trading. Troegs makes very, very good beer.

Hi-Wire official grand opening in Derm today with 25 artists, food trucks, circus acts (d'oh!) and 40 draft beers, including their usual suspects and some rare sours.