Page 1011 of 1020 FirstFirst ... 11511911961100110091010101110121013 ... LastLast
Results 20,201 to 20,220 of 20392

Thread: Ymm, Beer

  1. #20201
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    First beer from the Veil Brewing - thanks to devildeac's Richmond run:

    yellowferrari - DIPA - 8% ABV - "hopped with Galaxy and El Dorado"

    I've never had one quite like this. Creamy and sweet such that it smells and tastes like a lemon-orange sherbet - seriously juicy citrus. It's a great beer. It's a little too dank (but just barely to nitpick), so I'm not sure the hop/flavor combination balances just right. Tough to do with this much juicy fruit and pretty bitter as well. Nicely done though - it's a fantastic beer. And the juiciest beer I've ever had. Just smelling it you know you're in for something unique and special. Nice dry finish and lingering aftertaste. I"ll rate it 4.25, easily. Can't wait to taste the others!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 07-11-2019 at 09:34 PM.

  2. #20202
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    A much better drop:

    Mega GBS-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

    A 3 mug salute to accfanfrom1970 for picking up 5 complete sets of GBS in December so fuse could have his chauffeur ferry him up to Richmond to load our 4 cases for NC delivery!

    Poured into little snifters from a 750 ml bottle and divided over 2 nights earlier this week. Appearance was dark, dark brown with a small, tan head. Think GBS that's been in the beer weight room for several months, meaning even stronger aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, ginger with more potent flavors to match with a touch of dark honey at the finish. I'd swear there's dark chocolate in there but none is added. Hints of coffee also appear on the palate but none is added. IBUs are the same as the original GBS at 55 but the ABV is higher at 10.5% vs the ~9% for the original. A superb inclusion in GBS The Complete Set, even on two consecutive hot, steamy July nights.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  3. #20203
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    First beer from the Veil Brewing - thanks to devildeac's Richmond run:

    yellowferrari - DIPA - 8% ABV - "hopped with Galaxy and El Dorado"

    I've never had one quite like this. Creamy and sweet such that it smells and tastes like a lemon-orange sherbet - seriously juicy citrus. It's a great beer. It's a little too dank (but just barely to nitpick), so I'm not sure the hop/flavor combination balances just right. Tough to do with this much juicy fruit and pretty bitter as well. Nicely done though - it's a fantastic beer. And the juiciest beer I've ever had. Just smelling it you know you're in for something unique and special. Nice dry finish and lingering aftertaste. I"ll rate it 4.25, easily. Can't wait to taste the others!
    Even after years of trading beers, I still have twinges of hesitation when I have a drop for other folks, especially when many of the purchases are basically unknowns except for the two 2 ounce tasters I had before buying Eager to Bleed and Never Never More More (IIRC) in addition to the other four.

    Glad you liked it. Veil has a great rep and accfanfrom1970 was the deciding factor in choosing that for our meet-up there Saturday evening.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  4. #20204
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Even after years of trading beers, I still have twinges of hesitation when I have a drop for other folks, especially when many of the purchases are basically unknowns except for the two 2 ounce tasters I had before buying Eager to Bleed and Never Never More More (IIRC) in addition to the other four.

    Glad you liked it. Veil has a great rep and accfanfrom1970 was the deciding factor in choosing that for our meet-up there Saturday evening.
    Cheers to you both! I loved it. In true JasonEvans fashion I have to try to be critical if I'm going to try to learn to critique a beer like you masters. Somebody on Untapped said it had too much El Dorado and not enough Galaxy. I'm not sure what that means! But I've had much more bitter than this. This was fantastic. And that juicy orange-pineapple sherbet smell/punch was like no beer enjoyed heretofore. Looking forward to the others!

  5. #20205
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Batch 200-Saco River Brewing

    Yet another winner from fuse's Maine beer-cation. Thanks!!

    Not to be confused with Land Grant's Batch 200 which was an imperial stout from about March, 2017, this is a DIPA and probably better described as an imperial NEIPA based on its light pineapple color, quite hazy appearance, generous foamy head, along with amazing juicy aromas of pineapple, guava, mango and orange and tongue-tingling tastes of freshly squeezed and blended tropical fruit juices. I'll guess IBUs about 60 but perfectly balanced with the ABV of 8% and its "sweetness."

    A superb finish to a hot, steamy summer night. I'd buy a bunch of this if they shipped to NC.

    From their website:

    "MOSAIC MOSAIC MOSAIC MOSAIC MOSAIC!! Need I say anything other then mosaic up in your mf grill! Just try it. Trust me!"
    Last edited by devildeac; 07-11-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  6. #20206
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Cheers to you both! I loved it. In true JasonEvans fashion I have to try to be critical if I'm going to try to learn to critique a beer like you masters. Somebody on Untapped said it had too much El Dorado and not enough Galaxy. I'm not sure what that means! But I've had much more bitter than this. This was fantastic. And that juicy orange-pineapple sherbet smell/punch was like no beer enjoyed heretofore. Looking forward to the others!
    I perused their website today and saw yellowmiata was one of their choices but not available Saturday night. Funny stuff.

    I'm still learning my hops, especially considering there are a lot of new/hybrids in the last few year. I've really grown bored/tired of the "C" hops, meaning Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Columbus (IIRC) which impart waaaaay too much piney/resiny bitterness to IPAs/IIPAs/
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #20207
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    It's summer and it's hot so it's time for another beer list, this time beeradvocate's top 100 Berliner Weisse brews:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/87/
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  8. #20208
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    Polygamy Porter won't be coming to NC

    At least not for a while, and for a very, ummm, "interesting" reason: The Commission can refuse any label that “depicts the use of alcoholic beverages in a scene that is determined by the Commission to be undignified, immodest, or in bad taste."

    And, yet, Bright-[Wanker] Tank Top? Trophy Wife? Maybe the thumbs-down would come if it were "Trophy Wives"?

    *sigh*
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  9. #20209
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's summer and it's hot so it's time for another beer list, this time beeradvocate's top 100 Berliner Weisse brews:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/87/
    Iíve only had one 🤔

    I guess I drink a lot of bad Berliner Weiss (which I happen to enjoy). 🤣

  10. #20210
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Iíve only had one 🤔

    I guess I drink a lot of bad Berliner Weiss (which I happen to enjoy). 🤣
    My first 0-fer () which I will rectify soon by having a Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie as richardjackson199 included one of those in my "consult fees" delivery on Wednesday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  11. #20211
    First shot at a virtual pub event.

    Letís aim for Saturday, 7/20.

    Style is New England IPA (NEIPA).

    In case you need a reference:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/189/

    Iíll post again ďopening the doors of the pubĒ next Saturday. Iíll happily pass the baton to someone else to pick a style and day in August.

    Wishing all a great weekend!

  12. #20212
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    First shot at a virtual pub event.

    Letís aim for Saturday, 7/20.

    Style is New England IPA (NEIPA).

    In case you need a reference:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/189/

    Iíll post again ďopening the doors of the pubĒ next Saturday. Iíll happily pass the baton to someone else to pick a style and day in August.

    Wishing all a great weekend!
    Great starter beer! We'll be in Columbus, OH, but I will certainly participate, perhaps with father and son selections (), making it a two-fer which would be great, especially as I pitched an 0-fer on the Berliner Weissse top 100 .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  13. #20213
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My first 0-fer () which I will rectify soon by having a Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie as richardjackson199 included one of those in my "consult fees" delivery on Wednesday.
    Definitely let me know what you think of the consult fees, including the bright [wanker] tank top.

    Without further ado, my next review:

    The Veil Brewing Company: Never Never Found Found - Sour Fruited Gose - 5.1% ABV

    Well,
    Untapped is wrong on this one.
    This beer is underrated - and much better than a 3.95.

    It's double red papaya and double mango. It's just the type of beer that will show you why The Veil is so highly rated. Again I've never tasted a beer like this. It's so juicy and freshly squeezed. And this one is perfectly balanced with a gentle, sour gose finish. The papaya and mango, cut to sour with light salt on the finish are so intense it almost tastes like a bloody mary, but better. There is no tomato. Just great, intense (in a good way) papaya. It's almost the color of carrot juice. It's heavy and juicy, almost like mango/papaya puree cut perfectly with light gose sour tart finish. It's a refreshing summer beer that goes down quickly. It's a wow beer. Wow.
    I'll rate it 4.5

  14. #20214
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Definitely let me know what you think of the consult fees, including the bright [wanker] tank top.

    Without further ado, my next review:

    The Veil Brewing Company: Never Never Found Found - Sour Fruited Gose - 5.1% ABV

    Well,
    Untapped is wrong on this one.
    This beer is underrated - and much better than a 3.95.

    It's double red papaya and double mango. It's just the type of beer that will show you why The Veil is so highly rated. Again I've never tasted a beer like this. It's so juicy and freshly squeezed. And this one is perfectly balanced with a gentle, sour gose finish. The papaya and mango, cut to sour with light salt on the finish are so intense it almost tastes like a bloody mary, but better. There is no tomato. Just great, intense (in a good way) papaya. It's almost the color of carrot juice. It's heavy and juicy, almost like mango/papaya puree cut perfectly with light gose sour tart finish. It's a refreshing summer beer that goes down quickly. It's a wow beer. Wow.
    I'll rate it 4.5
    I thought you'd like Never Never Found Found .

    Just arrived at the NC coast and having a Southern Pines Brewing Company Moscow Mule which I reviewed recently. Yes, a 12% ABV imperial Berliner Weisse nightcap.

    The Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie will be a dinner beer tomorrow with homemade crab cakes, fresh NC tomatoes and corn. Bright *** Tank Top will be a next week beer and Saxy Machismo will be a next weekend beer and shared with son of devildeac, because, if it's muy caliente, we'll both burn together.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #20215
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    First shot at a virtual pub event.

    Letís aim for Saturday, 7/20.

    Style is New England IPA (NEIPA).

    In case you need a reference:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/189/

    Iíll post again ďopening the doors of the pubĒ next Saturday. Iíll happily pass the baton to someone else to pick a style and day in August.

    Wishing all a great weekend!
    Very cool idea!
    2015 DBR Rosterbation Champion

  16. #20216
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great starter beer! We'll be in Columbus, OH, but I will certainly participate, perhaps with father and son selections (), making it a two-fer which would be great, especially as I pitched an 0-fer on the Berliner Weissse top 100.
    I've only had 2 of the Berliner Weisse on the top 100 (New Glarus and Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie). I've had Creature Comforts Athena but not the fruity variants listed here.

    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I thought you'd like Never Never Found Found .

    Just arrived at the NC coast and having a Southern Pines Brewing Company Moscow Mule which I reviewed recently. Yes, a 12% ABV imperial Berliner Weisse nightcap.

    The Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie will be a dinner beer tomorrow with homemade crab cakes, fresh NC tomatoes and corn. Bright *** Tank Top will be a next week beer and Saxy Machismo will be a next weekend beer and shared with son of devildeac, because, if it's muy caliente, we'll both burn together.
    FB Key Lime Pie was a very good beer. However, I recall it living up to the pie part of its moniker. It was a bit sweeter than your typical berliner with hints of graham cracker and cream. It would probably be just fine pairing with crab cakes, tomatoes, and corn but I would personally drink it as more of a dessert beer.

    Cheers!
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

    "Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

  17. #20217
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I've only had 2 of the Berliner Weisse on the top 100 (New Glarus and Funky Buddha Key Lime Pie). I've had Creature Comforts Athena but not the fruity variants listed here.



    FB Key Lime Pie was a very good beer. However, I recall it living up to the pie part of its moniker. It was a bit sweeter than your typical berliner with hints of graham cracker and cream. It would probably be just fine pairing with crab cakes, tomatoes, and corn but I would personally drink it as more of a dessert beer.

    Cheers!
    1. Of the 27 New Glarus beers I've had, their Berliner Weisse is not on my list. I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

    2. Good thoughts on the FB Key Lime Pie. I thought about the lime/Berliner Weisse pairing with our dinner at the NC coast but the dessert idea is also an excellent one. Perhaps I'll pair an Old Stone House IPA from New Sarum Brewing in Salisbury, NC that some guests left in the fridge with dinner and I'll delay the Key Lime Pie until the end of the meal and have my Rum Barrel-Aged Pineapple Thief as a night cap instead of dessert. First world problems .

    Will you be joining us at our virtual pub next Saturday with a cold NEIPA in your glass? There should be ample room at the keyboard, err, tables.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  18. #20218
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's summer and it's hot so it's time for another beer list, this time beeradvocate's top 100 Berliner Weisse brews:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/87/
    My nominee for best beer name from this list:

    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46941/256946/

    "...It's just a shot away..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  19. #20219
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I perused their website today and saw yellowmiata was one of their choices but not available Saturday night. Funny stuff.

    I'm still learning my hops, especially considering there are a lot of new/hybrids in the last few year. I've really grown bored/tired of the "C" hops, meaning Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Columbus (IIRC) which impart waaaaay too much piney/resiny bitterness to IPAs/IIPAs/
    Thanks! I completely agree. I didn't know that those C hops had that flavor, so that is very helpful info.

    I had a IIPA in the past week (definitely not one of yours) that for me was Way too bitter and dank with that overpowering bitter taste and after-taste lingering way too long. I don't want intensely bitter beer face, and it made me wonder if I was just not a real beer drinker. But I do like bitter hoppy flavor when done right. That Grimm beer I recently enjoyed had hops as the dominant flavor, but it was completely outstanding and pleasant along with perfectly balanced.

    I'll look out for C hops, and I assume based on what you said that Citra is ok but not so much those others.

    Off to Stella to put in an order for my New England IPA for next Sat...

  20. #20220
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Thanks! I completely agree. I didn't know that those C hops had that flavor, so that is very helpful info.

    I had a IIPA in the past week (definitely not one of yours) that for me was Way too bitter and dank with that overpowering bitter taste and after-taste lingering way too long. I don't want intensely bitter beer face, and it made me wonder if I was just not a real beer drinker. But I do like bitter hoppy flavor when done right. That Grimm beer I recently enjoyed had hops as the dominant flavor, but it was completely outstanding and pleasant along with perfectly balanced.

    I'll look out for C hops, and I assume based on what you said that Citra is ok but not so much those others.

    Off to Stella to put in an order for my New England IPA for next Sat...
    My not so sage(grouse) advice is that beer is like ice cream. Thereís a flavour for everyone.

    I donít like strawberry ice cream, and I donít like Baltic Porters. That doesnít make me a pretend beer drinker. There are so many styles- some people like sours, goses, lambics, and Berliner Weisse, and some donít.

    Some enjoy super delicate English style pale ales, and some enjoy a 120 IBU Cascade punch in the face. 😀

    This is a judgment free zone- all in good fun, you like what you like. There is plenty oí beer to go around. 😀

Similar Threads

  1. Ycch, Beer!
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
  2. Who would you most want to have a beer with?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM
  3. Beer League
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Beer Question of Yore
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
  5. Best Beer Commerical Ever!!
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •