Page 432 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3323824224304314324334344424825329321432 ... LastLast
Results 8,621 to 8,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm certain if I figured out mobile search, I'd find my St Bernardus review from a year ago.

Pours deceptively dark with a rich coffee coloured head.

My nose is a bit stuffy so I know my palate is a bit off.

I think it smells like a Christmas cookie with Belgian candi sugar and yeast.

Dances on the tongue with fig, raisin, and spice notes.

Went as a wonderful complement to a caramel yule log.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Good to know, as I grabbed a bottle the other day to consume sometime during this holiday season.
    Y'all called?

From 2/13/15:

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale-St Bernardus Brewing

I'm a bit late with this but couldn't find anyone to share with me over the holidays so I saved it for an early Valentine's treat for myself this week as I divided the 750 ml caged and corked bottle over a couple nights. I have a bottle of the Abt 12, too, so I may have that over the next couple nights, too. They are both labeled as "quads," meaning various things to various people. Think of it as an imperial dubbel or imperial Belgian brown ale. Poured a slightly cloudy, medium brown with a foamy and lacy head that lingered a long time. Gorgeous aromas of dark, dried fruits, dark brown sugar and a bit of rum, but not barrel aged. Tastes fall right in line with the scents. I think this may have a couple spices which the 12 does not and I'll guess cinnamon and a pinch of ginger as there was just a bit of a tingle on the palate as I sipped over 30-45 minutes last PM. I'd guess IBUs in the 20-30 range and the ABV is 10%. Makes a fine dessert beverage by itself or with a caramel/butterscotch/chocolate brownie. I think this was about $9-10 for the big bottle at World Market around Christmas which included a 20% discount. Worth a purchase anytime as it's an outstanding, classic, authentic Belgian ale.

Respectfully submitted as post #7000 on this thread (I think).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm certain if I figured out mobile search, I'd find my St Bernardus review from a year ago.

Pours deceptively dark with a rich coffee coloured head.

My nose is a bit stuffy so I know my palate is a bit off.

I think it smells like a Christmas cookie with Belgian candi sugar and yeast.

Dances on the tongue with fig, raisin, and spice notes.

Went as a wonderful complement to a caramel yule log.
    Good to know, as I grabbed a bottle the other day to consume sometime during this holiday season.
    And from 2/15/15:

(Originally from 9/7/12):

St. Bernardus Abt 12-Brouwerij St. Bernard NV

A fabulous and classic Belgian trappist quad. Poured a hazy medium to dark brown from an 11.2 ounce bottle I received as a trader last week. Heavenly aromas and tastes of dark dried fruits, brown sugar and rum. Huge malty presence with minimal bitterness guessing IBU of 20-30 and the ABV is a sneaky 10%. Let this warm a bit and pour into a goblet and sip for dessert. I thought I had a 750 ml bottle of this at some point but can't find an old review.

From the last two nights:

This was 375 ml each night from a caged and corked 750 ml bottle bought for 20% off at World Market in December with a total cost of about $9-10. Very similar to the Christmas Ale version but without the subtle spicing. I like the Weyerbacher Quad a lot but this one has been one of the best beers in the world for years and there's nothing like authentic Belgian ales.

This may be the first time I've ever had two beers (Sexual Chocolate and Abt 12) in the same day with 100 ratings on ratebeer. Purely coincidental.

From 11/21/14:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Gingerbread Stout-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Well worth the time of anticipation. Duketaylor was kind enough to bring 2-750 ml bottles of this last PM, one to share and one for me. I'm accumulating my tab again, Chuck. Thanks! Poured an inky black with a tinge of brown and an almost medium tan head. It's an imperial milk stout brewed with local Virginia wildflower honey and ginger, further enhanced with the addition of Madagascar vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. The aromas are pleasant winter spices and all have their place in the concoction. Milk sugar (lactose) and oats are part of the grain bill but no others are listed. No hop names are included either and the IBUs are 55 with a potent ABV of 9.2%. Once again, I've described dessert in a glass or it could be served with pumpkin cheesecake as it was last night, or peanut butter sandwich cookies or any of the other decadent desserts that were prepared for us last PM. As one might be able to tell, our tailgate was far more tasty and enjoyable than the product on the field yesterday.
    From last PM:

Gingerbread Stout (2014 version)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Ho, ho ho! I can't believe this bottle made it 13 months without consumption, but maybe the intent all along was to save it a year and have a side-by-side with the BBA version. We never made it to the 2nd bottle so that'll be for next Christmas.

I thought this bottle was merely a dark brown and not black (the prior sampling was in the dark after the c*rolina debacle/beatdown at WW last year) and I thought the spices were a bit more forward after cellaring for a year. I thought the cocoa/milk chocolate flavors were a bit more prominent, too. Four of us shared the corked and caged 750 ml bottle as our night cap with yours truly getting closer to 8-10 ounces as the other family members were still recovering from their food comas.

So, duketaylor, if you're still reading and have an extra bottle or two stashed and have run out of storage space in your "cellar," I'll be happy to gather up some leftover Christmas greenery, stuff it into my new wallet and make a road trip up I-85 to the Commonwealth and make an exchange. Many thanks again for searching this out last year.

So far the bowl beer strategy is not working...

Q1 Gouden Carolus
    Q2 Scaldis Noel
    Q3 Delirium Noel will be on deck
    Q4 haven't thought that far ahead, maybe a GLBC Christmas Ale...

Let's Go Duke!!!!

Q1 Gouden Carolus
    Q2 Scaldis Noel

Let's Go Duke!!!!
    I'll try to help...just cracked a Ninja Porter. The can says, "open up a can of whoop @ss". Hopefully that translates well to the field.

GLBC Christmas for fourth quarter...fingers crossed for some magic!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Orange Blossom Pilsner 2.
    Bought a few years ago, probably during Cut's first or second season.
    Overflowing flavors of honey, like the sweetness of victory but with just a tinge of the sting of looming defeat.
    Thick, malty, pure golden enjoyment.
    So, so, so worth the wait.

(The glass is from LHB, but the message is nice.)

IMG_20151226_202107.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Q1 Gouden Carolus
    Q2 Scaldis Noel

Let's Go Duke!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'll try to help...just cracked a Ninja Porter. The can says, "open up a can of whoop @ss". Hopefully that translates well to the field.
    Nothing says, "Holy missed field goal, Batman," like a Troegs Mad Elf!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Nothing says, "Holy missed field goal, Batman," like a Troegs Mad Elf!
    Too funny- this was almost my OT beer!

Floridian-Funky Buddha Brewery

Not much of a name considering some of the gems the marketing departments of breweries across the country come up with but a really fine session beer. Poured a slightly hazy, sunshine yellow-orange with a generous, foamy head, this unfiltered German-style hefeweizen is true to all things expected from the style. Banana, clove and orange messages to the olfactory department with tastes matching the aromas perfectly. Considering it's been in the 70s in NC for what seems like most of December, this made a nice session brew to sip in the afternoon while watching (and cussing at) The Pinstripe Bowl yesterday.

Story: Sometime in October (I think), I found out that windsor had made plans to attend the Pitt tailgate/game and, knowing the rep of a couple outstanding breweries in her zip code, I sheepishly asked her if she'd be a beer mule for fuse and me. I was stunned and humbled when she said what/how much do you want. After I quickly eliminated the thought of "truckload" from my thinking process, I said we'd be pleased with whatever/however many she brought. The final count was four 6ers and two 4 packs which we equally divided last week. I knew was quite an oenophile (and had an excellent wine steward and specialty store a few miles from her home, both of which she greatly trusted) and freely admitted she didn't know much about beer, she went in one day, found him (or the "beer guy") and said she had a couple beer knurds (aka knuckleheads) in NC who wanted some Florida only distribution beverages from excellent breweries (cough, cough: Cigar City and Funky Buddha) and she said he pointed (and pointed) and she bought (and bought) and made her delivery at the Pitt tailgate. If the remaining 5 different selections are of the quality of the first, then it'll be a treasure trove of delights from the Sunshine (and hurricane) State for which I can only say thank you many times over (and, of course, are you available for another delivery to a 2016 tailgate? ).

(Spoiler: The second one I had from the litter last PM was also very good. More later.)

Florida Cracker-Cigar City Brewing

Their description:

"The Cracker Cowboys of Florida were colonial-era
    settlers, often of Scots-Irish descent, who arrived
    in Florida when Spain traded their territory of La
    Florida to the English. The term Cracker in Florida
    usage relates to the whip these "cow hunters"
    used to herd cattle in Florida's Palmetto Prairies.
    Called Quáqueros by the Spanish, these hardy and
    hard working Cracker Cowboys helped to shape
    the history of Florida, the nation?s oldest cattle
    raising state. We brew Florida Cracker White ale
    with unmalted wheat, orange peel and coriander
    and then ferment it with a French Saison yeast
    strain to give it a spicy and dry finish. Perfect for a
    warm day on the Palmetto Prairie."

My description:

Poured a cloudy, whitish-yellow-orange with a fizzy head and aromas of citrus, spice and flowers with tastes of orange, banana, coriander, white pepper and a bit of funk from the saison yeast, all giving this Belgian style white (single) ale a traditional presentation. This was a celebratory 12 ounce can packing low IBUs of 18 and a highly sessionable ABV of 5.5% on a warm, late December evening in NC. I'd have enjoyed this with a light seafood or chicken dish on a warm spring day, too. Thanks again to windsor for including this in the delivery last month.

Maduro-Cigar City Brewing

Another winner from CCB. This time it's a brown ale with a nuance, the addition of flaked oats to the grain bill, adding a bit of smoothness/silkiness to the mouthfeel. Poured a dark, almost opaque brown with perhaps a bit of ruby. The small head disappeared quickly, leaving only a rim of suds. Seductive nose of dark caramel, bakers cocoa, tobacco and espresso with tastes of the same and a hints of smoked almonds and hazlenuts. Rather low on the IBU scale at 25 but not surprising given the style. ABV about as expected, too, at 5.5%. I'd serve this with smoked/grilled meats, game or chicken or a hearty bowl of stew. Thanks to windsor and her "beer guy" for the selection.

Florida Cracker-Cigar City Brewing

Their description:

"The Cracker Cowboys of Florida were colonial-era
    settlers, often of Scots-Irish descent, who arrived
    in Florida when Spain traded their territory of La
    Florida to the English. The term Cracker in Florida
    usage relates to the whip these "cow hunters"
    used to herd cattle in Florida's Palmetto Prairies.
    Called Quáqueros by the Spanish, these hardy and
    hard working Cracker Cowboys helped to shape
    the history of Florida, the nation?s oldest cattle
    raising state. We brew Florida Cracker White ale
    with unmalted wheat, orange peel and coriander
    and then ferment it with a French Saison yeast
    strain to give it a spicy and dry finish. Perfect for a
    warm day on the Palmetto Prairie."

My description:

Poured a cloudy, whitish-yellow-orange with a fizzy head and aromas of citrus, spice and flowers with tastes of orange, banana, coriander, white pepper and a bit of funk from the saison yeast, all giving this Belgian style white (single) ale a traditional presentation. This was a celebratory 12 ounce can packing low IBUs of 18 and a highly sessionable ABV of 5.5% on a warm, late December evening in NC. I'd have enjoyed this with a light seafood or chicken dish on a warm spring day, too. Thanks again to windsor for including this in the delivery last month.
    My highest hopes for this beer was comparable to Allagash White.

Not close and still very good.

Really enjoyable, I think the curacao peel adds a bit of a unique twist on the Belgian style white.

The wheaty nose is followed through by dense wheat mouthfeel while still being very light and refreshing.

Many, many thanks to windsor and devildeac!

Brueprint Bruetopia Series Midnight Brue 2015

Imperial Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels

Poured inky black, thick coffee coloured head.

Smells of rich coffee and booze.

This might be a good second fiddle to Mother Earth Silent Night.

Creamy mouthfeel, strong overtones of coffee.
    Barrel aging not super evident in the flavour profile.

Really nice, really complex. Heavy. Barrel notes of oak and drier finish more evident as it warms.

Very excited about how Brueprint continues to evolve.

I tried a new beer tonight

but you've probably never heard of it.

Hipster Repellant IPA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

That is simply awesome.

Floridian-Funky Buddha Brewery

Not much of a name considering some of the gems the marketing departments of breweries across the country come up with but a really fine session beer. Poured a slightly hazy, sunshine yellow-orange with a generous, foamy head, this unfiltered German-style hefeweizen is true to all things expected from the style. Banana, clove and orange messages to the olfactory department with tastes matching the aromas perfectly. Considering it's been in the 70s in NC for what seems like most of December, this made a nice session brew to sip in the afternoon while watching (and cussing at) The Pinstripe Bowl yesterday.

Story: Sometime in October (I think), I found out that windsor had made plans to attend the Pitt tailgate/game and, knowing the rep of a couple outstanding breweries in her zip code, I sheepishly asked her if she'd be a beer mule for fuse and me. I was stunned and humbled when she said what/how much do you want. After I quickly eliminated the thought of "truckload" from my thinking process, I said we'd be pleased with whatever/however many she brought. The final count was four 6ers and two 4 packs which we equally divided last week. I knew was quite an oenophile (and had an excellent wine steward and specialty store a few miles from her home, both of which she greatly trusted) and freely admitted she didn't know much about beer, she went in one day, found him (or the "beer guy") and said she had a couple beer knurds (aka knuckleheads) in NC who wanted some Florida only distribution beverages from excellent breweries (cough, cough: Cigar City and Funky Buddha) and she said he pointed (and pointed) and she bought (and bought) and made her delivery at the Pitt tailgate. If the remaining 5 different selections are of the quality of the first, then it'll be a treasure trove of delights from the Sunshine (and hurricane) State for which I can only say thank you many times over (and, of course, are you available for another delivery to a 2016 tailgate? ).

(Spoiler: The second one I had from the litter last PM was also very good. More later.)
    Excited to try my very first Funky Buddha beer.

Something mildly off in the nose (or my nose is off). Mostly straw, maybe some banana and clove masked by a bit of funk.

Sweet start and finish- almost more a "wheat" beer than a hefeweizen with strong wheat overtones.

Really, really wonderful even if it does not drink true to style.

Gut feel says Funky Buddha is as good as expected/ advertised. Can't wait to try more!

Unholy-Coppertail Brewing

Florida beer #4 from windor's delivery service. They label this as an "American Trippel" and mention "sacrilegious American hop character" in their description. Probably the best impression I can conjure up is imperial India pale ale meets Belgian tripel as it resembles the former with a prominent hop presence and the fruitiness of a triple, and yes, I have spelled that 3 ways so far. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-gold with a moderate creamy head. Aromas of pine along with tropical and citrus fruits. Flavor bursts of pineapple, mango, papaya and some citrus pulp and rindiness (probably not even a word). The only comparable beer that comes to mind at the moment is Le Freak from Green Flash Brewing, and that's quite a comparison. In fact, I'll have to go on a beer-hunting excursion soon to see if any local shops have that in stock so I'm able to complete a head-to-head and see if my mind and taste buds agree. No IBU #s can be found but I'll estimate 70-80 and the ABV is 9.5% and both numbers are reflected in the tasting. I've got 2 left and I'd be delighted to trade one but the final one will be saved for the side-by-side as above. Very good product for which windsor and her beer steward get another highly positive endorsement.

0abb62b034b31d030a2831dfb0d2ef31_320x320.jpg

Reef Donkey-Tampa Bay Brewing Company

Their description/explanation/story:

"Dry-hopped American Pale Ale made using a secret selection of hops to give this nice dry beer a lemon/lime aroma and citrus & slight tropical fruit flavor. Although this brew Hits the classification of an APA, it drinks like a session IPA perfect for a day on the boat fishing the reef. Reef Donkey is slang for the Greater Amberjack gamefish which inhabit our coastal wrecks and reefs."

My thoughts:

It's labeled as an American pale ale which kinda puts it in a Twilight Zone "above" a pale ale and session IPA and below a true IPA in terms of IBUs and ABV, at "unknown" (but estimated at 50-something) and 5.5%, respectively. Poured a golden-yellow from a 16 ounce can, lovingly delivered by windsor last month as part of her Pitt tailgate care package. I thought it was more resin-y and piney but there was some citrus juiciness and zestiness upon imbibing. As an APA sitting in sort of a beer no-man's land, I'd pair this confidently with grilled fare or some spicy Indian or Far East dishes. Another fine selection from windsor and her beer advisor.

Addendum: Great American Beer Festival 2014 Bronze Medal Winner

beer_229644.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

Sounds/looks like a beer for mattman .