Page 594 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 9449454458459259359459559660464469410941594 ... LastLast
Results 11,861 to 11,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yes, Parkway (in Salem) will be closer if you are driving that route. Was wondering why you were coming all the way over to W-S just to get to Roanoke; now I understand. I have had the Get Bent (solid IPA) and their "Moment on the Lips" holiday porter, but have not been to their facility. Will be curious to hear how you like it.
    The Parkway Brewing Company over-sized warehouse (gee, where have I seen that concept before? ), next to an automotive repair shop a couple miles off I-81 and several miles from downtown Roanoke was almost packed at 630 on a Wednesday night without any particular attraction there for the evening and a single food truck on the property. See my review below. They must be doing something right so I'll be very interested to taste Get Bent and Fortification, the 2 bottled brews that I purchased, as I thought the Magella was quite good. It'd certainly be worth a visit next time you're in Roanoke.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The Parkway Brewing Company over-sized warehouse (gee, where have I seen that concept before? ), next to an automotive repair shop a couple miles off I-81 and several miles from downtown Roanoke was almost packed at 630 on a Wednesday night without any particular attraction there for the evening and a single food truck on the property. See my review below. They must be doing something right so I'll be very interested to taste Get Bent and Fortification, the 2 bottled brews that I purchased, as I thought the Magella was quite good. It'd certainly be worth a visit next time you're in Roanoke.
    Sounds like a popular place. Glad you enjoyed. The Ballast Point Victory at Sea porter is delicious. Dangerously delicious.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Sounds like a popular place. Glad you enjoyed. The Ballast Point Victory at Sea porter is delicious. Dangerously delicious.
    Glad you liked it. I thought that one might be "in your range."

New beer night-Charleston, WVA:

Fine N Dandy (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brew (aka Bad Shepherd Brewing)

Last year, Charleston Brewing Company sold out to Blacksheep and the companies were separated as above.

The first 5 ounce sample was a Belgian-style blonde ale. Pour was a light amber with a small head and some light, bready aromas and a bit of honey on the palate with some toasted grains and a hint of spiciness. IBUs were 20 and ABV was 5.3%. Not a bad pairing with the first of 3 tacos (beef, chicken and pulled pork) from my plate. Not my favorite of the sampler but not a bad beer.

The Guard Llama (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews

Pour was a slightly cloudy, light gold with a small head. Scents typical of the hefeweizen style with banana and clove and hints of watermelon on the palate from the addition of El Dorado hops, making this kind of a wheat/IPA hybrid. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 20 and the ABV was on the menu at 5.1%. A good pairing with the tacos plate.

Saison (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews

A very pleasant light amber pour with a small head. Some hints of apples and pears initially, followed by some black pepper notes from aging on black peppercorns. German Tettnanger hops give a bit more spice to the tastes and made it a nice match with the moderately spicy chicken taco. IBUs were 25 and ABV was 6.5%.

The LOUD! (draft)-Blacksheep Burritos and Brews

A highly-hopped IPA that finished the sampler. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 70 to accompany and balance the 6.8% ABV and make a very nice beverage with the pulled pork and slaw taco. Orange-yellow color, mild foamy head and nose of wet grains/flowers (aka dank) and varied tastes of grapefruit, orange and mango with a bit of zest and resin. American and British 2-row barley accompany Summit, Apollo, CTZ, Cascade, Mosaic and Simcoe hops.

Ovis Aries (small draft sample)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews

Our waiter was more than happy to provide about a 2 ounce taster of this for "dessert" which we weren't having anyway and because I was driving and wanted no part of 8 ounces of this 11.8% ABV Belgian-style quad ale . Pour was a medium brown. Smelled and tasted like table syrup, but a bit thin. There were a lot of raisins, dates and figs in the tasting along with some pretty boozy, dark rummy flavors, too. I'll guess 20 IBUs here. This would have been fine to sip throughout the meal or with a slice of German chocolate cake or pecan pie. Overall, I liked the Magella from Parkway better last night as it was a bit more viscous, had a tad more flavor and was a shade less boozy to me.

Yes, Parkway (in Salem) will be closer if you are driving that route. Was wondering why you were coming all the way over to W-S just to get to Roanoke; now I understand. I have had the Get Bent (solid IPA) and their "Moment on the Lips" holiday porter, but have not been to their facility. Will be curious to hear how you like it.
    Get Bent-Parkway Brewing Company

Light gold pour from a 12 ounce bottle. Thin head with tropical fruit aromas and tastes, accompanying a bit of oiliness, a drop of honey and pineapple. Labeled as a light-bodied West Coast IPA, this is an apt description as the bitterness (guessing IBUs of 60) doesn't assault your taste buds and the ABV of 7.2% might be a shade thin for the style but still in the ballpark. I could see some sesame or General Tso's chicken with this. I got a 6er and promised three of them to mattman (he really did say he wanted to Get Bent if I found some cans or bottles ), so there'll be one for our son tomorrow and might include the last one in a trading package with fuse next weekend.

Not exactly brewery news, but inside track says Saturday will be the last day of operations for the Thirsty Monk less than a mile from my house.

R.I.P. North Asheville Monk

Parkway Bridge Builder Blond Ale

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30815/96065/

Had a couple last night, agree with reviews on BA that it seems to be more of an amber than a blond (reminds me of the old NCSU cheerleaders chant in CIS, "Blond hair, black roots", not exactly what you expect. Overall a decent/good beer. Could certainly detect bananas, clove and pear. Smooth, easy drinking bev. Good golf beer.

I'll have to try a few of their other offerings.

Fine N Dandy (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brew (aka Bad Shepherd Brewing)
    The Guard Llama (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews
    Saison (draft)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews
    The LOUD! (draft)-Blacksheep Burritos and Brews
    Ovis Aries (small draft sample)-Blacksheep Burrito and Brews
    Better all this "Blacksheep" than any baby-blue sheep, for damn sure.

Top-Rated IPA in Each State

Interesting list, scraped for RateBeer's data. Certainly fodder for discussion/debate. WW's Pernicious wins for NC. Hardywood's The Great Return takes VA. Fun stuff.

Better all this "Blacksheep" than any baby-blue sheep, for damn sure.
    Baby-blue sheep good for one thing: ram chops!

Interesting list, scraped for RateBeer's data. Certainly fodder for discussion/debate. WW's Pernicious wins for NC. Hardywood's The Great Return takes VA. Fun stuff.
    Nice find.

I always like lists like that. They make me feel uneducated/ignorant. And thirsty.

I think I've had 7 from that list.

In Columbus, OH until Sunday AM with son and daughter in law. Looking for Ohio ales and Mike Corey, but not necessarily in that order.

Presently enjoying a Brueprint Barrel aged midnight brue.

Excellent!

Nice find.

I always like lists like that. They make me feel uneducated/ignorant. And thirsty.

I think I've had 7 from that list.
    Yet another great reason for Ymm, Beer. Make that 8 after dinner tonight:

Ohio Fat Head’s Head Hunter IPA

More later.

Olde Hickory Wavell Gunn Scotch Ale

Yum!! A Scotch ale aged in Highlands whisky barrels. Pours a deep mahogany color with a generous head. Great notes of caramel and peat. Not nearly as boozy as something aged in bourbon barrels, but still evident that something has been "added" to your typical Scotch ale. 8.8% ABV, which is just right. A great beer if you're at all into Scotch.

Bodhi (draft)-Columbus Brewing Company

Limited availability IIPA with apparent ticketed bottle sales only at the brewery. Our son and I shared pints of this and Head Hunter, the best IPA in Ohio from Tripping William's link above. Interesting that he liked the Bodhi better and I preferred the Head Hunter, but not by much.

There was a bit of a chill haze to the gold-yellow pint of ale with a small, meringue-like head. Pungent tropical fruits up front, followed by mango, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit and a drop of pine on the palate. Somewhat surprisingly, really well-balanced with IBUs of 90 (can't remember where I read this but their website is a bit difficult to negotiate), with ABV at 8%. Very nice pairing with some Cajun chicken, dirty rice with sausage and bacon and a side of fire-roasted corn at Winking Lizard Tavern. If I find a 4 pack of this over the weekend, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.