Page 1142 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 142642104210921132114011411142114311441152119212421642 ... LastLast
Results 22,821 to 22,840 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

If this isn’t the strangest beer business story of 2019, I look forward to anything that could top it:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...y-kings-c.html

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If this isn’t the strangest beer business story of 2019, I look forward to anything that could top it:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...y-kings-c.html
    Stranger than truth. I had to check and be sure the story wasn't dated April 1.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Revisiting Garden Grove’s Death. Local -Carytown, brewery and urban winery. Belgian style ale made with VA grown 2017 Petit Verdot grapes. Aged 14 months in Napa Valley carved and grooved American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. 10% abv 41ibu’s. Only 100 bottles produced. Well crafted, ale and wine. A bit of hoppiness but a smooth, bold, bit of sweet wine finish. Hard to classify this as a straight beer, but really interesting and quite good. Curious if anyone else has come across this type.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Revisiting Garden Grove’s Death. Local -Carytown, brewery and urban winery. Belgian style ale made with VA grown 2017 Petit Verdot grapes. Aged 14 months in Napa Valley carved and grooved American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. 10% abv 41ibu’s. Only 100 bottles produced. Well crafted, ale and wine. A bit of hoppiness but a smooth, bold, bit of sweet wine finish. Hard to classify this as a straight beer, but really interesting and quite good. Curious if anyone else has come across this type.

Not sure I've ever sampled anything like that.

Not exactly what you’ve described; historically DFH has made some similar beer:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/red-white

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/sixty-one

Fort is made with raspberry juice, by my memory it was also sweet and vinous.

Trying to think of others, these were the first I could recall.

Bloodline-Flying Dog Brewery

Credit-August West from his mixed litter of 12; thanks!
    Style-American ale
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-light orange amber; modest off white head
    Nose-orange juice and pine
    Mouthfeel-a bit sweet and a tad bitter
    Tastes-OJ, rind, resin, light caramel
    Malts-RYE, CARAMEL
    Hops-NORTHERN BREWER, CITRA, GALAXY
    Yeast-AMERICAN ALE
    Adjuncts-blood orange peel and puree
    IBU-40
    ABV-7%
    Overall impression-surprisingly good ale; balanced
    Ymm, Beer rating-middle tier cat 2; worth splitting a 12 pack to trade/share

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Not exactly what you’ve described; historically DFH has made some similar beer:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/red-white

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/sixty-one

Fort is made with raspberry juice, by my memory it was also sweet and vinous.

Trying to think of others, these were the first I could recall.
    Made me think of Midas Touch

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/midas-touch

Neglected to add in addition to your question, this reads like quite a tasty beer.

The Original Gingerbread Stout 2018-Hardywood Park Craft Brerwery

Local for somebody

Credit-accfanfrom1970 brewery pick up; fuse family beer courier service; my Visa; thanks to all!
    Format-500 ml bottle
    Stemware-cute little Gingerbread Stout tumbler
    Style-d'oh!
    Appearance-dark brown, modest tan head
    Nose-ginger, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, dark chocolate
    Mouthfeel-no crumbs or oily residue
    Tastes-match the nose but a bit muted until it warmed for 15+ minutes
    IBU-55
    ABV-9.5%
    Adjuncts-honey, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger
    Overall impression-this is either better fresh as the bottle recommends and/or the smaller format make this a bit less flavorful than I recall
    Ymm, Beer rating-still cat 3 but I'm moving this down to the lower tier; worth seeking

Snake Dog-Flying Dog Brewing Company

Still not local.

Credit-next to last pup from the mixed 12 pack from August West; thanks!
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Style-IPA
    Appearance-yellowish gold; medium head
    Nose-mixed citrus and resin
    Mouthfeel-mild piney bite
    Tastes-more orange and grapefruit than piney; light caramel
    Malts-CARAMEL
    Hops-WARRIOR, COLUMBUS, CITRA, SIMCOE, MOSAIC, GALAXY
    Yeast-AMERICAN ALE
    IBU-60
    ABV-7.1%
    Overall impression-palatable; tough crowd to hang with; didn't stand out
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 2; I liked the Bloodline and The Truth better so far from the litter

Younger son-in-law just sent me a photo of a beer list at a brew pub near him offering a 1.5 ounce portion of Sam Adams Utopia for $35. No typo. No missing decimal point.

On December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment was ratified by Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Utah, thus meeting the required number of states and repealing prohibition.

I hope you all have commemorated the date accordingly.

Had my first 2019 CBS last night. Have another in the fridge and aging two more. Debating when I want to break out the 2018.

Thought the 2019 had a bit of a harsher finish than last years. Would like to compare the two side by side. Either way, still an excellent beer and one I look forward to each year. Wonder how long production will stop this time

Found a three pack of Bourbon County at a store. 2017, 18, 19 versions. Didn't pull the trigger last night, but will likely go back for it. No luck on variants so far.

Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien - Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes (BFM)
    Sour
    11%ABV

Apologies if I butchered the beer name or brewery

My oh my. Absolutely outstanding. Possibly the best sour I have ever tasted. Had it on draft at Sergio's World Beers in Louisville.

Description from Untappd since I will not be able to do it justice: L’Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien is an antique beer, a strong sour ale with 11% abv aged in old wine oak barrels during one year. After the aging period, the different casks are blended together in order to obtain complexity and lots of flavors. St Bon-Chien is one of the world's flagship's sour beers coming from a mixed fermentation. It first ferments with wine yeast, then during the cask's maturation, lots of microorganisms coming from the casks change the beer's flavors' profile.

Nowhere in Particular Batch Number 036 Black Peach Gose

One of devildeac's O-hi-o selections. Not sure quite what I was expecting, because I can't say I know what a "black peach" is. Well, I don't think it's the peach that is black but, instead, the color profile of the beer. Imagine thinking "peach" and instead pouring mahogany/brown? Interesting. I think the "black" comes from the black sea salt, that is mixed in with the peach and some coriander. Not as tart as I would have expected, and all the flavors are pretty subtle (especially the peach). A fascinating beer, and solid Cat 2. Props to the acquirer . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    On December 5, 1933, the 21st Amendment was ratified by Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Utah, thus meeting the required number of states and repealing prohibition.

I hope you all have commemorated the date accordingly.
    I missed this completely. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I had a couple ales last PM but did not acknowledge the occasion appropriately but will do so tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Had my first 2019 CBS last night. Have another in the fridge and aging two more. Debating when I want to break out the 2018.

Thought the 2019 had a bit of a harsher finish than last years. Would like to compare the two side by side. Either way, still an excellent beer and one I look forward to each year. Wonder how long production will stop this time

Found a three pack of Bourbon County at a store. 2017, 18, 19 versions. Didn't pull the trigger last night, but will likely go back for it. No luck on variants so far.
    Great find.

Three variants being delivered when our son visits in two weeks. Will report back.

Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien - Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes (BFM)
    Sour
    11%ABV

Apologies if I butchered the beer name or brewery

My oh my. Absolutely outstanding. Possibly the best sour I have ever tasted. Had it on draft at Sergio's World Beers in Louisville.

Description from Untappd since I will not be able to do it justice: L’Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien is an antique beer, a strong sour ale with 11% abv aged in old wine oak barrels during one year. After the aging period, the different casks are blended together in order to obtain complexity and lots of flavors. St Bon-Chien is one of the world's flagship's sour beers coming from a mixed fermentation. It first ferments with wine yeast, then during the cask's maturation, lots of microorganisms coming from the casks change the beer's flavors' profile.
    Ooooh, that sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder if RJ199 included this in the cooler during a recent trading session. Will check tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    One of devildeac's O-hi-o selections. Not sure quite what I was expecting, because I can't say I know what a "black peach" is. Well, I don't think it's the peach that is black but, instead, the color profile of the beer. Imagine thinking "peach" and instead pouring mahogany/brown? Interesting. I think the "black" comes from the black sea salt, that is mixed in with the peach and some coriander. Not as tart as I would have expected, and all the flavors are pretty subtle (especially the peach). A fascinating beer, and solid Cat 2. Props to the acquirer . . . .
    The beer is/was a complete unknown to me but I've had several from that brewer who now has a brick and mortar establishment and may call their business Somewhere In Particular now instead of Nowhere In Particular as they did when they were "pop-up" or "gypsy" brewing. Every batch they brew is a one-off.

You're most welcome.

I've got a couple 2016 (?) large format bottles and a couple 4 packs of the 2019 edition, both of which should see PT (pouring time) over the holidays.