Page 846 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 34674679683684484584684784885689694613461846 ... LastLast
Results 16,901 to 16,920 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

1888 Pils-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing

Beer #2 from a trading session with August West and his fall 12 pack of mixed Saranac/FX Matt brews. Thanks!

Poured a light amber color from a 12 ounce bottle with a medium, off-white head. Bready, floral nose. Mildly sweet, light caramel tastes followed by slight flowery and herbal flavors. IBUs 30 and ABV was 5.3%. More of an old-style American pilsner as I think of the European style as a bit lighter and more delicate. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches or burgers and chicken off the grill.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1888 Pils-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing

Beer #2 from a trading session with August West and his fall 12 pack of mixed Saranac/FX Matt brews. Thanks!

Poured a light amber color from a 12 ounce bottle with a medium, off-white head. Bready, floral nose. Mildly sweet, light caramel tastes followed by slight flowery and herbal flavors. IBUs 30 and ABV was 5.3%. More of an old-style American pilsner as I think of the European style as a bit lighter and more delicate. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches or burgers and chicken off the grill.
    I would think 30 IBUs would take it out of the old style American pilsner range....(but it seems you are more of a connoisseur than I on beer).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I would think 30 IBUs would take it out of the old style American pilsner range...(but it seems you are more of a connoisseur than I on beer).
    Actually, there's a lot of overlap among the 3 BJCP guidelines when listing the IBU and ABV:

https://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category2.php

Perhaps I should have used the word "traditional" or "typical" instead of "old" describing the American style.

Have a few new beers to review

but not time tonight. Anyone tried Larry's Lemonade? Tried that at OBX this week, very interesting, for sure.

Farmer Ted-Catawba Brewing Company

Drink local!

Twelve ounce can trader with our older son-in-law before a grilled feast at friends' mountain home.

Story: "Farmer Ted’s Cream Ale is an indigenous American beer style created as an answer to post-prohibition German lagers."

Stat sheet:

HOPS: Magnum / Mt Hood

MALT: Pale / Flaked Corn

ABV : 6%

IBU: 7

Impressions/observations: Pale yellow pour with a thin, fizzy head. Aromas of corn syrup (D'oh!) and flowers. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of Karo syrup, toasted white bread and flowers. I could almost taste the cream (). Nice starter beer with conversation and fellowship among friends and family. Certainly worth a taste/can/draft but wouldn't buy a 6er.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    but not time tonight. Anyone tried Larry's Lemonade? Tried that at OBX this week, very interesting, for sure.
    Not I.

Interesting photo from their website:

http://thelarryslemonade.com/

(safe for young eyes-sort of)

Farmer Ted-Catawba Brewing Company

Drink local!

Twelve ounce can trader with our older son-in-law before a grilled feast at friends' mountain home.

Story: "Farmer Ted’s Cream Ale is an indigenous American beer style created as an answer to post-prohibition German lagers."

Stat sheet:

HOPS: Magnum / Mt Hood

MALT: Pale / Flaked Corn

ABV : 6%

IBU: 7

Impressions/observations: Pale yellow pour with a thin, fizzy head. Aromas of corn syrup (D'oh!) and flowers. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes of Karo syrup, toasted white bread and flowers. I could almost taste the cream (). Nice starter beer with conversation and fellowship among friends and family. Certainly worth a taste/can/draft but wouldn't buy a 6er.
    My first intro to Catawba, 5-6 years ago.
    Decidely meh and I have not sought out any Catawba beer since.

Greybeard-Pisgah Brewing Company

Greybeard, the IPA, not the Greybeard-endorsed Feldenkrais Method

Drink more local!

Poured from a 12 ounce can into an inverted nonic pint glass. Color was orange-yellow with a creamy, off-white head. Mixed aromas of citrus, tropical and pine with different tastes of peach, apricot, a bit of grapefruit and some resin, likely from the Chinook and Nugget hops. IBUs are 68 and ABV was 6.8% (website) or 6.9% (can). Nicely balanced IPA. Paired nicely with grilled chicken, pork chops and burgers. Traded 3 with older son-in-law for the Farmer Ted reviewed above, a Mother Earth Berliner Weisse and a Southern Range Blood Orange Wheat. I have 2 left, one of which should make it to the NCCU tailgate as a trader and the other likely to Ohio or Chicago this week.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    My first intro to Catawba, 5-6 years ago.
    Decidely meh and I have not sought out any Catawba beer since.
    You apparently didn't taste enough cream.

I've had 5 others:

Peanut Butter Jelly Time-an interesting/fun novelty beer. One was enough.

Hopness Monster-not a bad IPA. Haven't revisited.

White Zombie (draft sample)-a refreshing wheat beer.

Sour Zombie (draft, Jack Daniels barrel-aged)-An excellent BA sour.

Hooligan (draft, BBA)-an outstanding barrel-aged Scotch ale and especially dangerous at about 13.5% ABV.

Black Forest-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing Company

Trader #3 from Friday night from August West, this one a black lager, aka Schwarzbier. Thanks!

This pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass was a medium brown and relatively clear and had a one finger head that lingered to the bottom of the glass. Smelled like toasted pumpernickel bread with tastes of the same, some dark caramel, hints of milk chocolate and minimally bitter, herbal/earthy hops. Pleasant bier to receive as a trader and would pair nicely with various grilled wursts, some Wiener schnitzel or some St. Louis or Memphis ribs, keeping both sides of the Atlantic happy.

Beer name of the day?

Hopsequences-Southern Range Brewing Company

Its on long weekends like this with no plans where I miss having Fullsteam Coffee is for Closers or Booneshine Hatchet Coffee Porter in the fridge to start the day.

Solid Gold (3-5-18)-Founders (Mahou-San Miguel) Brewing

Six pack of porch pounders for $7. Not a bad deal, even though I waited about a month before selecting from the newest bottle shop in the area.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass and, to no one's surprise, the color was a clear, light gold (D'oh!). Small, creamy white head with a rim left now about halfway through my serving. Similar aromas to the Saranac/Matt 1888 Pils with a bit more flavor and body. There's some corn syrup, a bit of whole grain toast/cereal and a bit of floral bitterness. IBUs are 20 and the ABV is 4.4% and made a very refreshing post-lawn mowing and summer walk thirst quencher. A couple should make the trip to Columbus and Chicago this week as hosting gifts with another 1 or two ferried to the NCCU tailgate.

Solid Gold
    Am I the only one who used to watch that show?

"Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Am I the only one who used to watch that show?

I'm a Believer, too.

Southern Pines Brewing

Even though Incendiary Brewing opened this weekend in W-S, my tasting room visit was to SoPines. Odd location, in an off-the-beaten-path business park. Decent interior space. Below is what I tasted, all of which had a bit of bitter aftertaste. But the crowler of Vitamin Sea was a good post-round beverage.

D3211379-CA50-4D07-A6A9-5D29622BAC00.jpg
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Blood Orange Wheat-Southern Range Brewing Company

Drink sort of local!

Pint can that I received form our older son-in-law as a trader for one of my Pisgah Greybeard IPAs.

Pour was a pale straw color with no head . Nose was a weak, orange Juicy Juice aroma. Mouthfeel was rather thin but with a rather prominent orange zest and floral flavors. They list no IBUs on their website and none are marked on the can but I can't believe the entire grain bill is wh*at so I'll ASSume they used *some* hops in brewing this witbier and guess the IBUs about 20. ABV is quoted from the can and website as 5.3%. This would make a nice pairing with some almond/orange chicken or shrimp. I haven't had Raleigh Brewing Company's First Squeeze in several year but I think that one was better. This one was worth a trader to sample a beer from Monroe, NC's first brewery but don't think I'd re-visit.

Top 100 American pale wheat ales from beeradvocate:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/93/

How many ya tasted?

How many ya tasted?
    Only four, including the number 3 and 4 in category.

Not a category I feel especially disappointed in myself for not having had more. Reasonably certain I’ve probably not been in proximity to even ten on the list.

How many ya tasted?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Only four, including the number 3 and 4 in category.

Not a category I feel especially disappointed in myself for not having had more. Reasonably certain I’ve probably not been in proximity to even ten on the list.
    Five for me, maybe only four. I haven't heard of many of those breweries .