Page 1956 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 956145618561906194619541955195619571958196620062056 ... LastLast
Results 39,101 to 39,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Raspberry Crush-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Local

Credit-trader from TW via RJ199; thanks to both!!
    Style-fruited imperial Berliner Weisse
    Format-pint can (shared somewhere between 4 to 6 ways)
    Stemware-pint glasses
    Appearance-very hazy raspberry juice; minimal head
    Nose-sour, fruity
    Mouthfeel-a bit less sour than the aromas
    Tastes-raspberry lemon/limeade; mildly tart and sour
    Adjuncts-raspberry puree
    IBU-probably 10
    ABV-9.3% (whoa, that is a strong Berliner Weisse!!)
    Overall impression-another wonderful high gravity SoPines brew
    Ymm, Beer rating-low/mid cat 3; happy RJ199 shared two of his as I still have my full 4 bagger downstairs
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Raspberry Tart-New Glarus Brewing Company

Previously reviewed; still an amazing fruit beer.

See next review.

Local

Stemware-pint glasses
    Nose-sour, fruity
    Adjuncts-raspberry puree
    IBU-probably 10
    Ymm, Beer rating-low/mid cat 3; happy RJ199 shared two of his as I still have my full 4 bagger downstairs
    Side-by-side:

For this Beer Of The Match poll we have:

4 votes for the Raspberry Tart, calling it a very good beer and low/mid cat 3 but a notch below Raspberry Tart, even accounting for "pace," err, different styles.

2 votes questioned why their spouses even "made" them taste the Raspberry Crush; too boozy and the Berliner Weisse and their palates did not get along.

I'll keep one or two of mine and trade the other two or three. This was a very good beer and I am delighted I'll sample it another time or two.

Side-by-side:

For this Beer Of The Match poll we have:

4 votes for the Raspberry Tart, calling it a very good beer and low/mid cat 3 but a notch below Raspberry Tart, even accounting for "pace," err, different styles.

2 votes questioned why their spouses even "made" them taste the Raspberry Crush; too boozy and the Berliner Weisse and their palates did not get along.

I'll keep one or two of mine and trade the other two or three. This was a very good beer and I am delighted I'll sample it another time or two.
    Glad y’all did this. I may have to give it a whirl of my own.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

ceb964a9891908477eabf911df127ef9_640x640.jpg

I'm gonna have to research this one a bit more instead of just posting. More in the AM.

Spoiler: it was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Glad y’all did this. I may have to give it a whirl of my own.
    It was quite fun to do the side-by-side. Don't often get to do this. Thanks for the "assist."

The "fancy," well-written review:

Fulcrum-Equilibrium Brewery

"Fulcrum was brewed with a base of white wheat and oats for a soft base. We added Citra and Idaho-7 in the whirlpool and dry hopped it with Nelson, Strata, and Citra. Fulcrum pours a beautiful vivid yellow. As soon as you crack it open bright notes of grass and citrus permeate. Flavors of passionfruit, cannabis, and white wine grapes meld together beautifully with each sip. The buildup of dank juicy fruit counters with a light and balanced bittereness in the finish offering a fulcrum for a beer with such unique and powerful flavor."

My amateurish musings to follow...

It was quite fun to do the side-by-side. Don't often get to do this. Thanks for the "assist."
    Including the “hot take” that apparently cooled upon expert scrutiny.

Including the “hot take” that apparently cooled upon expert scrutiny.
    Ha! Nothing expert about my palate, which is pretty good, but I'm still keeping my day job .

From last PM:

Fulcrum-Equilibrium Brewery

Not. Local.

Credit-a discounted mini growler from Bottle Rev, 1.5 blocks from my office
    Style-NEDIPA
    Format-^^^^
    Stemware-nonic pint
    Appearance-pineapple juice; modest, creamy head
    Nose-pineapples, mangoes and oranges
    Tastes-even more of ^^^^, some rind/pith and white wine
    Adjuncts-white wheat and oats
    Hops-Citra, Idaho 7, Nelson Sauvin, Strata and more Citra
    IBU-"no IBU" but I'll guesstimate 40
    ABV-8%
    Overall impression-deeeelicious; juicy, minimal bitterness
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid cat 3; delighted to have just poured the remainder of the mini growler into a teku minutes ago

Local

Stemware-pint glasses
    Nose-sour, fruity
    Adjuncts-raspberry puree
    IBU-probably 10
    Imperial Raspberry Berliner Crush - Southern Pines - 9.3 %

Super fun way to kick off the evening last night with this one in a side-by-side comparison with New Glarus Raspberry Tart. The Crush was just too different in style to fully compare. The Crush has that gorgeous ruby-red grapefruit colored, slushy deep pink pour. It nicely balances fruity raspberry flavor with a tangy finish with just a bit of salt, well done. Berliner Weisse's are not always my favorite style, but this is a good one. It hides that 9.3 % well, making it dangerous. It went down quickly and easily.

I agree with Devildeac - too good to say Low Cat 3, so between Low Cat 3 and Mid Cat 3.

The Raspberry Tart is a world-class fruited lambic. It has some sweetness up front, but it proved again last night just how refreshing it is. Mid Cat 3 for the Raspberry Tart. The better halves preferred the Raspberry Tart. Their palates are more distinguished in detecting the high-ABV in the Crush.

Super fun experiment. Thanks T-Will!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Imperial Raspberry Berliner Crush - Southern Pines - 9.3 %

Super fun way to kick off the evening last night with this one in a side-by-side comparison with New Glarus Raspberry Tart. The Crush was just too different in style to fully compare. The Crush has that gorgeous ruby-red grapefruit colored, slushy deep pink pour. It nicely balances fruity raspberry flavor with a tangy finish with just a bit of salt, well done. Berliner Weisse's are not always my favorite style, but this is a good one. It hides that 9.3 % well, making it dangerous. It went down quickly and easily.

I agree with Devildeac - too good to say Low Cat 3, so between Low Cat 3 and Mid Cat 3.

The Raspberry Tart is a world-class fruited lambic. It has some sweetness up front, but it proved again last night just how refreshing it is. Mid Cat 3 for the Raspberry Tart. The better halves preferred the Raspberry Tart. Their palates are more distinguished in detecting the high-ABV in the Crush.

Super fun experiment. Thanks T-Will!
    Most welcome. It’s what hot takes are for.

ceb964a9891908477eabf911df127ef9_640x640.jpg

I'm gonna have to research this one a bit more instead of just posting. More in the AM.

Spoiler: it was quite good.
    Porter Baltique Grand Cuvee Edition Speciale 2019 - 10.5 % - Aged in Bourbon and Brandy Barrels

Jet black pour. Gorgeous aroma of brandy and bourbon along with some roast.

fuse taught me that Baltic porters are actually lagers, not porters. He doesn't like them, so the next experiment last night was to see if a really good one would convert him. Nope. He drank it, but he doesn't like the roasty, licorice harsh bitter note present mid-palate I believe.

That doesn't put me off as much, though I can taste what he doesn't like.

This beer was outstanding for it's style. The BBBA aromas were beyond enticing. The flavors have dark chocolate, coffee, roast, malt, caramel, dried fruit, licorice, vanilla, and oak all greatly balanced. But the star of the show is the superb bourbon and brandy flavors coming through with a warming finish. Medium body, lighter than a stout but smooth drinking.

Category 3 beer for me. Hey you gotta try!

I still have the BBA Hardywood Baltic Sunrise to try, but I'll spare fuse any more experiments. I don't think Nrrrvous would like this baltic porter style either given the sharp, roasty, bitter flavors usually there.

Porter Baltique Grand Cuvee Edition Speciale 2019 - 10.5 % - Aged in Bourbon and Brandy Barrels

Jet black pour. Gorgeous aroma of brandy and bourbon along with some roast.

fuse taught me that Baltic porters are actually lagers, not porters. He doesn't like them, so the next experiment last night was to see if a really good one would convert him. Nope. He drank it, but he doesn't like the roasty, licorice harsh bitter note present mid-palate I believe.

That doesn't put me off as much, though I can taste what he doesn't like.

This beer was outstanding for it's style. The BBBA aromas were beyond enticing. The flavors have dark chocolate, coffee, roast, malt, caramel, dried fruit, licorice, vanilla, and oak all greatly balanced. But the star of the show is the superb bourbon and brandy flavors coming through with a warming finish. Medium body, lighter than a stout but smooth drinking.

Category 3 beer for me. Hey you gotta try!

I still have the BBA Hardywood Baltic Sunrise to try, but I'll spare fuse any more experiments. I don't think Nrrrvous would like this baltic porter style either given the sharp, roasty, bitter flavors usually there.
    More for me. Like with amusedcupcake’s husband and seafood.

Semi-pro (Korn Ferry Tour) tip for those who have a SoPines 13% Euro Lager: it’s a cool-weather beer. I’m intending to hold my remaining cans until the autumn.

A Beast for Thee - Resident Culture collab with Perennial Artisan Ales - 12% - Imperial Pastry Stout with Salted Caramel Brownies from the Batchmaker Bakery

It does taste like liquid brownies. The start of the show is definitely the superb melted caramel that comes in a tasty finishing wave after the fudge brownie.

As fuse noted, this beer is spectacular but it's overdone like a Southern Tier beer. So it was perfect last night shared among 3 couples for dessert. I wouldn't have wanted any more than my serving.

It was even better than drinking 12% ABV brownie batter followed by eating a yummy salted caramel. But about like that. Rich, thick feel.

Low Category 3 because it was a a little over the top - definitely a pastry stout. But I enjoyed it, and that deep chocolate fudge followed by as good a gooey caramel as I've tasted in beer was super-fun for dessert.

Great muling exchange, and looking forward to times when more of us can safely gather soon

Semi-pro (Korn Ferry Tour) tip for those who have a SoPines 13% Euro Lager: it’s a cool-weather beer. I’m intending to hold my remaining cans until the autumn.
    Thanks! After last evening's exchange I now have enough beer in my fridge to easily last until July 4. I'll target the IPA's first, and probably save this one until fall as well. I have lots of Fullsteam IPA's and other goodies for you from fuse, so let me know whenever you want to make the next exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    John Daly always parked his RV in the Hooters parking lot down the road from the Augusta National when he was a qualified participant. Needless to say, it was not within the norms of the club.
    It sounds like Daly was doing more than just parking there too. I can't imagine why Augusta National frowned on it:
    A little too much skin maybe, but like you said, you've seen worse:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/joh...ng-lot-augusta

I wonder how many Miller Genuine Drafts he had at that Winston-Salem Hooters to pass out and spend the night in jail.

Thanks! After last evening's exchange I now have enough beer in my fridge to easily last until July 4. I'll target the IPA's first, and probably save this one until fall as well. I have lots of Fullsteam IPA's and other goodies for you from fuse, so let me know whenever you want to make the next exchange.
    Yep. IPA’s and that Perennial Pils ought to be earlier in the queue. Will text soon to arrange another swap.

It sounds like Daly was doing more than just parking there too. I can't imagine why Augusta National frowned on it:
    A little too much skin maybe, but like you said, you've seen worse:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/joh...ng-lot-augusta

I wonder how many Miller Genuine Drafts he had at that Winston-Salem Hooters to pass out and spend the night in jail.
    I know that Hooters. Best wings in town.