Page 832 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 33273278282283083183283383484288293213321832 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Just returned home after 8 days of "vacation" in the Northwoods of Wisconsin... I'm trying to enjoy what little time I have with these little people I created, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to them being grown up and of drinking age (or at least out of diapers and sleeping more than 4 hours at a time!). My wife's family owns a private lake up there (300 acres and only three cabins on the water) and have been coming up for the past 40 years, meaning I spend at least a week of time off in the middle of nowhere each year whether I like it or not. Luckily her buddy that owns the local grocery store has one of the best beer selections in the state of Wisconsin, so if you guys are ever around the UP/Wisky border and need to stock up, Snow's Family Market in Mercer, WI is the place to go. Since the fish weren't biting, here are my Top 10 memories from the week:

1. The Wolf – 13.5% ABV BBA Imperial Stout – 3 Sheeps Brewing Company – Amazing. Rich and thick with that sweet bourbon barrel finish. Cracked it open after my daughter hooked her cousin in the ear while fishing.
    2. Dragon’s Milk Reserve: Salted Caramel – 11% ABV Imperial Stout – Love this series, and this iteration was no different; sweet caramel with a smooth boozy finish.
    3. Choklat Oranj – 10% ABV Imperial Stout – Southern Tier Brewing Company – Exactly what the bottle says; delicious dessert beer with notes of chocolate and orange.
    4. Wood-Aged I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew – 9% ABV Imperial Stout – Dogfish Head Brewery – Purchased as a joke for my father-in-law whose daughter was on the warpath, both of us enjoyed it while hiding from our wives.
    5. RE:FRESH Radler - 3.2% ABV Shandy/Radler - Wisconsin Brewing Company - Would have been higher if it wasn't 3.2%... Delicious but it would take a few gallons to get a buzz.
    6. Hard Wired Nitro – 6% ABV Porter – Left Hand Brewing Company
    7. American Pale Ale - 5% ABV Pale Ale - Pabst Brewing Company?? - Stumbled upon this at a gas station and thought it would be funny to send a pic to my buddy that only drinks Pabst... It was actually pretty good and surprised the hell out of me.
    8. Fire Fox Red - 5.5% ABV Red Ale - Stevens Point Brewery
    9. Galaxy Pale Ale - 5.3% ABV Pale Ale - 3 Sheeps Brewing Company
    10. Blu Bobbler – 5% ABV Fruit Beer – Door County Brewing Co. – Nice easy drinker, our beer of choice out on the fishing boat.

*side note – My wife’s extended family consists of diehard Purdue fanatics with a few Wisconsin fans sprinkled around, so I can’t wait to see how they react to the gift I left them on the back deck... It's not letting me attach the picture, but I painted a nice big Duke logo on the bar I bought for them a few years back. I'm sure there will be a big Black and Gold P on it when I get back, but it felt necessary after a few beverages
    Sounds like a treasure trove of good beer.

I am simultaneously impressed with your bar painting story as well as scratching my head if I would take something like that in stride with good humour. Well done, sir, well done.

Foothills Tangled Vine Berry Rose

Well named as it looks as beautiful as any true (grape based) rose I’ve had the pleasure of seeing in a wine glass.

No head.

Smells faintly sour and vinegary.

Delightful. If not for the mildest of bitterness, you might have convinced me this was a sparkling rose wine.

Very effervescent. Clean, not sugary sweet or fruit forward.

4.5% ABV- an easy sipper.

The label says it is a mix of cranberry, sour cherry and strawberries to produce a tart fruit ale that’s dry, bubbly, and eminently drinkable.

The description is apt. Couldn’t have said it better myself

Really glad I picked up the six pack. It won’t survive the month.

Well worth seeking out and enjoying it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think the Taxman is making an extended visit this evening...
    The Taxman did indeed pay a visit tonight and we fared well during his stay. More tomorrow. Reviews and additional "auditing."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Foothills Tangled Vine Berry Rose

Well named as it looks as beautiful as any true (grape based) rose I’ve had the pleasure of seeing in a wine glass.

No head.

Smells faintly sour and vinegary.

Delightful. If not for the mildest of bitterness, you might have convinced me this was a sparkling rose wine.

Very effervescent. Clean, not sugary sweet or fruit forward.

4.5% ABV- an easy sipper.

The label says it is a mix of cranberry, sour cherry and strawberries to produce a tart fruit ale that’s dry, bubbly, and eminently drinkable.

The description is apt. Couldn’t have said it better myself

Really glad I picked up the six pack. It won’t survive the month.

Well worth seeking out and enjoying it for what it is.
    Glad you enjoyed it. From my recollection, your review sounds spot-on. Very consistent with my experience.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Beer filter (for the chunk and funk found sometimes in fruit/aged ales):

220px-Koffiefilter_RA.jpg

You'll thank me for this.

From 6/18/18:

My turn:

Passionfruit Guava La Maison-Taxman Brewing Company

Fuse's private and public warnings were heeded as I poured my first 12 ounce can very slowly into my oversized Ommegang tulip last PM. I stopped at the first sign of chunk and still ended up with a thin layer of sediment that quickly settled but was still left with a modest amount of floating debris. Pretty pink hue, marred by the cloudiness. Enticing aromas as above. Tastes were a bit dry but mildly sweet, like underripe strawberries, apples and pears with very mild bitterness. It's labeled an American Farmhouse ale with IBUs of 25 and ABV at 7.2%. I'll reserve judgment on any pairings. I may have my wife purchase some cheesecloth for straining my second can
    The Taxman visited last PM and "audited" the last 4 cans I had in my possession (and shared with our son):

Passion Fruit Guava La Maison-Taxman Brewing Company

See post immediately above re: beer filter. A wise investment of about $0.20 to salvage an unattractive, funky, chunky, almost undrinkable mess into a fairly respectable offering last evening.

After straining through the "beer" filter, it was still a bit murky but a more attractive pinkish-brown. Slightly sour nose with some underripe guava bitterness that was balanced by mild sweetness from the passion fruit. The typical saison flavors were present also. Our son had minimal, fine sediment remaining after his 6 ounce portion and I had a bit more "ground" but no chunks as fuse and I both had from our first tastings.

Sounds like a treasure trove of good beer.

I am simultaneously impressed with your bar painting story as well as scratching my head if I would take something like that in stride with good humour. Well done, sir, well done.
    I dunno what was up with my computer yesterday, but this morning it finally was able to attach the pic:

Cabin1.jpg

From 6/17/18:

Apropos-Taxman Brewing Company

Hope your second can is as good as your first.

My first can was bad.

Picked it up out of the box tonight to chill and it felt a bit light so I looked at the top rim of the can and saw a bit of dried residue and thought the can had leaked but chilled it anyway and just sipped some of the eight ounces that remained. Flat with something vaguely resembling flavors of dried, old apricot preserves. My second can feels "right" so I'll have it later this week or weekend and hope my tasting impressions resemble yours. This is only the second can of beer I've had in the last 5-10 years that had leaked, the first being Deep River's Pumpkin Pie Porter and that beer sucked before tasting it from a ruptured can.
    From last PM:

Apropos-Taxman Brewing

A vast improvement over the damaged goods from 6 weeks ago.

This was a 12 ounce can shared with our son. Pour was a slightly hazy apricot color (D'oh!) with a generous, foamy head. I don't think the aromas were quite as sour as what fuse described but they were certainly tart, as were the tastes, which made me think again of the Sour Patch Kids/Warheads candy comparison of sour apricot confections with a mildly sweet finish. I think IBUs were 30 and the ABV was 8%, making this an imperial saison or farmhouse ale. Would be pleasant with a fresh fruit plate or mixed berry tart.

From 6/18/18:

From their house beers:

Exemption (I did not drink this.):

"Claim an Exemption, our abbey-style tripel. This crisp golden ale unites lemon, orange peel and coriander spices with flavorful Belgian esters. White wheat, oat and artisan malts contribute a balanced body, complemented by golden candi sugar."

From their Brewmaster Series:

Raspberry Ginger Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

(I did drink this ale.)

Poured from a 12 ounce can into my oversized Ommegang tulip. Color was a gorgeous berry and was slightly cloudy (no chunks!) with a thin, fizzy head. Pungent berry aromas with a bit of spiciness. There's a bit of sour and a bit of sweet and and bit of heat and spice on the palate. The raspberries and lemon peel/zest lend the sour notes, the style (Belgian-style tripel) and candi sugar show up with the sweetness, the ginger gives some spice and heat and the Belgian yeast and coriander chip in with the spiciness. There's a bit of discrepancy with the IBUs as the website claims 55 (no way!) and the can has 36 which is more consistent with the style and the mouthfeel. ABV a dangerous 8.5%. A fruit plate before or after dinner would pair nicely as would a fruited/spicy salsa-topped tilapia filet. A very nice variation on the tripel style and much more palate-pleasing than the chunk and junk from the Passionfruit Guava La Maison farmhouse/saison ale.
    From last PM:

Raspberry Ginger Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

Fortunately, this one didn't change much in a can for another (almost) 3 months. Another shared beer because the Taxman wanted witnesses for his "audit."

I'd buy this one again and would try any other fruited tripel variants from this brewery except the Passion Fruit Guava version. Just not worth the hassle.

Bond Bros Salted Cherry Sorcery

A glorious cherry sour on a hot afternoon.

Super tart cherry without being mouth puckering.

Another Bond Bros winner.

Bond Bros Wine Not

Berliner Weiss with grapes

This was so amazing just to look at- opaque and sparkly (no glitter).

As amazing as it looked, it tasted better.

More sour than the prior beer, and super grape jammy.

Ymmm, beer, indeed.

From 6/19/18:

Mezcal Barrel Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

From The Vault, their barrel series.

There's really very little to be added to the above outstanding review. I especially like the comparison to Mother Earth's Tripel Overhead, and the butterscotch and snifter references (but no cigar, please). The IBUs are 30 (an incredibly smooth sipper) and the ABV is 9% (dangerously smooth sipper). I savored this for almost an hour last PM before retiring.

An amazing concoction. Totally worth the $19 plus tax price tag on the 4 pack.
    From last evening:

Mezcal Barrel Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

A wonderful way to end the "audit" yesterday, sharing a 12 ounce can of this with our son.

I don't think much has changed since hiding in a metal container for almost 3 more months. Lots of caramel, butterscotch and tequila here. Our son liked the Apropos better than any other of the Taxman brews we shared. I still found this to be the best of the batch.

Taxman Q1 2018 Saison series

Matured in white wine barrels

Great head on an easy pour into a snifter.

Has that great saison funky nose- couple day old mown grass clippings.

Bright straw gold in the glass, a bit dense/ hazy, perhaps from bottle conditioning.

I feel like this is a beer I’ve had before, and I can’t put a finger on it. Not literally- Q1 is evoking memories of a prior white wine barrel aged saison.

Initially I thought the Anchorage Dogfish Head collaboration The Tide and its Takers, which was a brett aged belgian style. Close but not quite.

While the what have I had similar in the past (maybe a Burial Harvest Moon offering?) eludes me, the great news is this is a fantastic beer.

A really nice saison with a dry wood and chardonnay finish.

Another once in a lifetime smile courtesy of my contract for hire beer hunter. Thanks devildeac!
    Q1-Taxman Brewing Company (Bargersville, IN)

I don't think I'm capable of adding much to this review except maybe some ingredients and advanced metrics:

Malt: Pilsner, Munich (IN), Wh*at, Vienna (IN), Carafoam, Candi Sugar

Hops: Jarrylo, Loral, Challenger

Yeast: Farmhouse Saison

IBU: 25

ABV: 5.8%

Cost: $7 (I think-coulda been $9)

Format: 500 ml

Brewed on: 01.05.18

Starter beer shared with our son last PM. This was an excellent example of a white wine barrel-aged saison that happened to be our "least" favorite of the evening. Think about that.

Taxman Q2 Brettanomyces Honey Saison Ale

Looks like dark, rich honey in the glass.

Smells like funk and honey.

Starts and ends with a barnyard tang with a satisfyingly honey sweet middle.

Brings out delicious salinity in thinly sliced prosciutto.
    Accents the creaminess of gouda,

The gouda actually creates a bit of beery bitterness in the sip after.

A sharp cheddar tamps the bitter and resurfaces the honey sweet.

A chunk of oily hot sopressata brings the funk the the foreground.

I did not think this beer would go well with spicy food. A triple pepper (quite nice and hot) colby kinda deadens the palate and mutes the beer a bit.

Layers of flavour in Q2.

Sweet, bitter, funky barnyard and a richness and mouthfeel of honey.

Great way to start a Friday afternoon.
    Q2-Taxman Brewing Company

Two things to add: 1) wine barrel aging; I'd guess mostly red based on the lovely reddish-brown hue
    2) prominent vinous tastes (zinfandel? cabernet sauvignon?)

Stat sheet:

Malt: Pilsner, Munich, Caramel, Oat, Honey (Watermelon Blossom and Meadowfoam)

Hops: Pacific Gem, CTZ, S. Cross

Yeast: Belgian Saison and Brettanomyces

Aged On: Blended Wine Barrels

Brewed On: 04.06.18 (fresh!)

IBU: 23

ABV: 6%

Format: 500 ml

Cost: $9 (IIRC)

Shared with our son last PM with each of us sipping 250 ml from my cute, little Allagash tulip and his small Gouden Carolus chalice.

Pretty amazing saison.

Taxman Cache Flow Blackberry sour blonde ale

A gorgeous pour, almost looks like cranberry juice.

I got a little greedy with the bottle, could have avoided the sediment in the glass (at least I think I could have, bottom quarter inch was super chunky.

No real head at all.

Initial whiff is sour, barnyard ending is a sweet blackberry jam smell.

Almost a beer sweet tart (in a good way).

Accompanies the gouda I am snacking on superbly.

Each sip starts aggressively sour and fizzy, with a sweet vinegar finish.

Not in the Destihl stratosphere of face melting sour.
    In the really enjoyable range.

I have definitely changed my tune on the Taxman.
    Cache Flow Blackberry-Taxman Brewing Company

What fuse said. A blackberry vinaigrette concoction would be a good analogy here, too. I shared my 500 ml bottle with our son last PM. We had very little chunk from our bottle except the last 5-10 ml had a mild amount of fine sediment. IBUs were 6 so the hop quantities here were minimal. ABV was 6%. This bottle had none of the other vital stats/in gredients like Q1 and Q2 did. Quite the evening. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to take another 10 mile round trip detour off Indiana State Road 37 on the way from Bloomington to In The Annapolis to this joint. Highly recommended.

The Taxman giveth and the Taxman taketh. Happily, he didn't touch my Golden Parachute, the last remaining beverage from our excursion to the brewery in April.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/d...fresca-recipe/

Sounds like a tasty beer cocktail.

I wasn’t supposed to, but this article about devildeac’s beer stein collection was too rich not to share.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/beer-stein-museum

Whoa, wait a minute. International Beer Day was August 3. Why weren't we informed of this well in advance so we could celebrate appropriately?

I guess we'll have to count this past weekend's brews for our celebration.

A Tiny Beautiful Something-Maine Beer Company

I'm disappointed but will take partial credit/blame here as the 500 ml bottle purchased at a new bottle shop nearby was dated 4/28/18 and clearly stated on the label that "hoppy beers do not age well" and "please consume withing 90 days of the brewed on date on the label." However, it is a bottle-conditioned beer which should add some shelf life to the product.

Shared pour with our son tonight was a mildly cloudy, straw color with a moderate head. Modest nose of citrus and pine and tastes of the same. Not spoiled but not fresh either. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 5.5%. I'll not spend $10 on a bottle of this again but it is nice to have MBC brews available in the area now, given my fond recollections of our August, 2014 beer-cation in the northeast US, especially with MBC as our first stop with a flight on draft and then a case of fresh stuff to import back to NC.

Maine Brewing Company A tiny beautiful something.

I can’t describe it any better than the name, so I will leave it at that.

Like all MBC beer, highly, highly recommended.
    I just posted my review. Must have been the freshness factor.