Page 1415 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 415915131513651405141314141415141614171425146515151915 ... LastLast
Results 28,281 to 28,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ATTN: budwom

I've searched some more and found no more Cigar City brews that I've tasted; today's reviews from the archives will have to suffice-keep us informed what you taste
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Founders Mas Agave Grapefruit Version

Also a terrific beer. A little less like a margarita than the lime version. More smooth, somewhat less tart. The citrus is less pronounced, but that allows the tequila barrel aging to shine through more. Where the lime version goes to Cat 4, this goes very high Cat 3. Wish I had snagged more of both.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Founders Mas Agave Grapefruit Version

Also a terrific beer. A little less like a margarita than the lime version. More smooth, somewhat less tart. The citrus is less pronounced, but that allows the tequila barrel aging to shine through more. Where the lime version goes to Cat 4, this goes very high Cat 3. Wish I had snagged more of both.
    Your doppelganger is headed to the *other* TW today. If they have more of either/both, are you interested in plotting a meet-up sometime later this month or waiting until late August?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Your doppelganger is headed to the *other* TW today. If they have more of either/both, are you interested in plotting a meet-up sometime later this month or waiting until late August?
    Yes. I have the Southern Pines Raisin Pecan Cake for you still.

I'll keep you updated. But, if you are The Walrus, then you already know/knew that.

"I am he as you are he as you are me
    And we are all together..."

You switch user names just to get around the 60 second requirement between posts, right?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You switch user names just to get around the 60 second requirement between posts, right?
    You’re onto us. Errrr, “me.”

I KNEW it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

No shenanigans like that on this thread.

No shenanigans like that on this thread.
    Sometimes the split personalities diverge/differ with their thoughts/opinions...

Sometimes the split personalities diverge/differ with their thoughts/opinions...
    Only if it boosts post-count. Or pertains to pepper beers.

Only if it boosts post-count. Or pertains to pepper beers.
    1. Never!

2. Some times. Interesting text exchange with our son over the weekend WRT Southern Pines Dead Man Suit and Thai imperial pastry stout. Went something like this:

Son: "I'm not sure I'll make my way fully through this one."
    dd: "Drink it cold. Really cold."
    Son: "My throat is on fire."

Haven't heard from him since . And this is from someone who likes AMB's Edge of a Dream, Westbrook's Mexican Cake and a few other pepper beers.

I'm glad RJ199 got my last one of the above. Too much heat for me.

Dark Lord order part 1 secured by our Chicago beer mule.

Wishing davec safe travels and minimal marital discord in his journey to secure his order and a few more for other Ymm, Beer participants and our son.

Red face

Post interview beers at Foothills hit the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    What did you have?

What did you have?
    They didn't have anything too special. The UBU Craft Happiness IPA was on the Randall with some weird s*** so I passed.

Had a Jade and a half pour of Festival Express. The only thing on tap that I hadn't already had was a wit. I'm not a huge fan of that style.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    As the resident BrewDevil Dark Lord Day corespondent, I took it upon myself to have a few beers last night (Crowler of Dragons Milk Stroopwafel and a 2019 regular Dark Lord for inspiration) and put together a rough ranking system for the potential DL variants we should be hoping to see in our totes in a couple of weeks... That being said, as my kids have heard as much as GTHC in our household; you get what you get and you don't throw a fit

Included are the overall scores (out of 5) from Untappd, along with any insider info I've come across in my DL travels.

The "Russian Roulette" Class
    34. Turtledogg (2018) 2.87 - Aged in scotch barrels. As legend has it, a rookie Dark Lord Day attendee traded a top 3 beer in the world for this unfortunate entry in the DL collection. It now sits in his cellar and will be opened to celebrate title #6. Considered the "Kobe for Vlade Divac" or "Babe Ruth for No, No Nanette" of the beer trading universe.
    33. ReptileFund (2019) 3.33 – Aged in bourbon barrels and finished in mescal barrels
    32. Greatest Teachable Moments (2018) 3.37 - Aged in apple brandy barrels with verbena, ginger and orange peel
    31. French Vanilla Militia (2017) 4.15 – Aged in Sauternes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs and coffee. A true hit or miss in the DL world; a large number of the '17 FVM were infected, so it's unclear at this point if the ones cellared at 3F may have suffered the same fate and will be drain pours.

The "Acquired Taste" Class
    30. Brosure (2019) 4.15 – Aged in ruby red port barrels
    29. Trump and Pump (2016) 4.19 – Aged in Sauternes wine barrels
    28. Cavaliero of Varnov (2018) 4.24 – Aged in Oloroso sherry barrels
    27. Legio Gemina (2016) 4.27 – Aged in Pineau de Charentes barrels
    26. Brotilla (2018) 4.29 – Aged in Carcavelos wine barrles
    25. Cavaliero of Varnov (2019) 4.30 – Aged in Calvados brandy barrels
    24. Brozerker (2018) 4.32 – Aged in ruby port barrels

The "Solid If Unspectacular" Class
    23. French Vanilla Militia (2018) 4.33
    22. Conquistador De Muerte (2017) 4.33 – Aged in bourbon barrels with guajillo peppers
    21. 2-year Portuguese Brandy BA (2015) 4.37

The "3F Heat Check" Class
    As you'll see in the scores, the regular 2019 BBA and Rye DLs were more highly regarded, meaning 3F utilizing their new Divine Rite barrels was at a detriment to the tastebuds.
    20. BA Bourbon x DVR (2019) 4.36 - Aged in bourbon barrels then finished in their Divine Rite malt whiskey barrels
    19. BA Rye x DVR (2019) 4.39 – Aged in rye barrels then finished in their Divine Rite malt whiskey barrels
    18. Aquavit BA (2015) 4.46 - Aged in Aquavit barrels, which 98% of people will need to Google
    17. Brandy BA (2011) 4.51 - One of their first Brandy aged DLs, well received at the time. Unclear if the flavors will still be as delectable 9 years later.

The "Bread and Butter at a 5* Italian Restaurant" Class
    16. Rye BA (2019) 4.44
    15. Bourbon BA (2019) 4.45
    14. Hung Drawn and Quartered (2018) 4.48 – Fancy name for the 2018 Rye BA
    13. Bourbon BA (2012) 4.61

The "Untappd Rankings Are Wrong" Class
    I've had both of these within the past 6 months, and both were better than the 2019 Handjee IMO
    12. French Vanilla Militia (2019) 4.32
    11. Lounge Against the Macromachine (2019) 4.38

The "Coinflip" Class
    10. Bourbon BA (2013) 4.68 – 2 styles of BBA DL were released in 2013, one with vanilla beans (later known as the first Marshmallow Handjee) and one with guajillo peppers. If this is the Handjee it jumps up into the Top 5.

The "Experiments That Played Their Way Into Late Lottery Picks" Class
    9. Loadstar (2019) 4.53 – Aged in Sauternas whiskey barrels with toasted coconuts
    8. ‘Rrari Crochet (2019) 4.57 – Aged in port whiskey barrels with vanilla beans, strawberries, cocoa nibs and toasted coconuts
    7. Lounge Against the Macromachine (2018) 4.61 – Aged in bourbon barrels then finished in tequila barrels with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, guajillo peppers and tangerine peels

The "Don't Hurt Yourself Celebrating Seeing This Bottle In Your Tote" Class
    6. Chemtrailmix (2019) 4.64 - Aged in Rye barrels w/ cinnamon and pink peppercorns. Sounds iffy on paper, plays like a Stones brother.
    5. Marshmallow Handjee (2019) 4.69
    4. Chemtrailmix (2017) 4.70
    3. Marshmallow Handjee (2017) 4.78 - Ranking was elevated by all the Beer Bros on the West Coast who couldn't get their hands on a 2018
    2. Chemtrailmix (2018) 4.72

The "Zion" Class
    1. Marshmallow Handjee (2018) 4.75

May the odds be ever in your favor!
    Just got home from 3F. There is a little bit of construction in the area with signage warning of delays due to bottle pick-ups at Three Floyds, so at least they gave town a heads up. Turning off of Calumet onto Superior Dr., I saw the line and I was expecting to be there a while, but turns out it was the COVID testing line for the hospital next door. Pulled around it and was surprised to see there was absolutely no wait to pick the bags up. Two lines, each with two cars apiece. They had 5 workers, so one of the young ladies came and checked me in, crossed my name off the list, and the bearded gentleman placed two bags in my backseat. In and out in 120 seconds.

I thought about waiting til I got home to peak, but couldn't help myself.

The randomizer at 3F must have been let go when the brewpub closed. After checking online, it looks like the issue is widespread...

Both bags had the same 5 bottles in them, now I am the proud owner of:
    2x 2018 Dark Lord
    4x 2017 Dark Lord
    2x ‘Rrari Crochet (2019)
    2x Legio Gemina (2016)

'Rrari is a quality get, but I'd be lying if I said the regular Dark Lord haul didn't bum me out... I was hoping for some oldies, and maybe I can use some of the duplicates to chase them down over the next two weeks.

They didn't have anything too special. The UBU Craft Happiness IPA was on the Randall with some weird s*** so I passed.

Had a Jade and a half pour of Festival Express. The only thing on tap that I hadn't already had was a wit. I'm not a huge fan of that style.
    A Randall😳. Been a few years I’d guess since I read about one of those.

Ooh. Hopefully the interview hit the spot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Just got home from 3F. There is a little bit of construction in the area with signage warning of delays due to bottle pick-ups at Three Floyds, so at least they gave town a heads up. Turning off of Calumet onto Superior Dr., I saw the line and I was expecting to be there a while, but turns out it was the COVID testing line for the hospital next door. Pulled around it and was surprised to see there was absolutely no wait to pick the bags up. Two lines, each with two cars apiece. They had 5 workers, so one of the young ladies came and checked me in, crossed my name off the list, and the bearded gentleman placed two bags in my backseat. In and out in 120 seconds.

I thought about waiting til I got home to peak, but couldn't help myself.

The randomizer at 3F must have been let go when the brewpub closed. After checking online, it looks like the issue is widespread...

Both bags had the same 5 bottles in them, now I am the proud owner of:
    2x 2018 Dark Lord
    4x 2017 Dark Lord
    2x ‘Rrari Crochet (2019)
    2x Legio Gemina (2016)

'Rrari is a quality get, but I'd be lying if I said the regular Dark Lord haul didn't bum me out... I was hoping for some oldies, and maybe I can use some of the duplicates to chase them down over the next two weeks.
    Son-in-law sorta reported in a couple hours ago. He got a 5 pack for himself and two more 5 packs to add to the two extra 4 packs davec purchased for me; no report from him yet and I’m not gonna bother him☺️.

All three 5 packs were the same but he didn’t mention the DL vintages. The variants were all Trump and Pump and Brosure. We’re happy.