Page 897 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 39779784788789589689789889990794799713971897 ... LastLast
Results 17,921 to 17,940 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

This might be enough for me to consider a Tavour order:

Don’t be afraid to let your geek flag shine for today’s beer!

Daring palates from all over the country travel to The Rare Barrel looking for a taste of something different — and they find it! From Berkeley, CA, this brewery’s fearless flavor combinations have earned them a 4.17 rating on BA — and their signature 750 ml bottles are what every Sour obsessed fan hopes to find at a bottle share.

But even with their illustrious catalogue, today’s beer stands out as ambitious and original: the limited edition Mister Tea Oak Aged Golden Sour Ale.

An artful blend of golden sour ales brewed with Jade Needle White Tea and seven different yeast strains, this unique beer boasts powerful notes of apricot, pear and sugar dusted mandarin oranges. Not to mention a complex oaky POW of Sour. We pity the fool who doesn’t get a taste.

So why is this beer ambitious? Tea is a difficult ingredient in a Sour because its subtle notes can easily get lost, especially if it’s integrated into a barrel aged blend. The brewers worked with nearby Blue Willow Tea to hunt down the ideal complement to their tart creation. They found what they were looking for in Jade Needle White Tea, a slightly fruity leaf with mild tannins grown only in the mountains of Southern China. After steaming over 500 lbs of dried tea leaves to unlock their flavors, the brewers steeped them in their Sour Ale for more than two hours.

Only a brewery like The Rare Barrel could pull off this union of tea and tart. They make Barrel-Aged Sours exclusively and boast over 800 barrels in their brewery, giving them the ability to blend just the right Sour to accentuate any adjunct. To achieve the rich, tart flavor of Mister Tea they blended several ales aged between 6 and 12 months, tasting and adjusting with each new addition.

Mister Tea isn’t just another Sour for your collection, it’s an exotic headliner that begs to be enjoyed and dissected. Hoist that geek flag high!

Cellarable

Cellarable

LIMIT 6 PER MEMBER.

Limited Supply. Requests processed in the order received.

The Rare Barrel - Mister Tea - $23.99 for 1x750ml bottle
    Style: Sour Ale, ABV: 6.2%

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    This might be enough for me to consider a Tavour order:

Don’t be afraid to let your geek flag shine for today’s beer!

Daring palates from all over the country travel to The Rare Barrel looking for a taste of something different — and they find it! From Berkeley, CA, this brewery’s fearless flavor combinations have earned them a 4.17 rating on BA — and their signature 750 ml bottles are what every Sour obsessed fan hopes to find at a bottle share.

But even with their illustrious catalogue, today’s beer stands out as ambitious and original: the limited edition Mister Tea Oak Aged Golden Sour Ale.

An artful blend of golden sour ales brewed with Jade Needle White Tea and seven different yeast strains, this unique beer boasts powerful notes of apricot, pear and sugar dusted mandarin oranges. Not to mention a complex oaky POW of Sour. We pity the fool who doesn’t get a taste.

So why is this beer ambitious? Tea is a difficult ingredient in a Sour because its subtle notes can easily get lost, especially if it’s integrated into a barrel aged blend. The brewers worked with nearby Blue Willow Tea to hunt down the ideal complement to their tart creation. They found what they were looking for in Jade Needle White Tea, a slightly fruity leaf with mild tannins grown only in the mountains of Southern China. After steaming over 500 lbs of dried tea leaves to unlock their flavors, the brewers steeped them in their Sour Ale for more than two hours.

Only a brewery like The Rare Barrel could pull off this union of tea and tart. They make Barrel-Aged Sours exclusively and boast over 800 barrels in their brewery, giving them the ability to blend just the right Sour to accentuate any adjunct. To achieve the rich, tart flavor of Mister Tea they blended several ales aged between 6 and 12 months, tasting and adjusting with each new addition.

Mister Tea isn’t just another Sour for your collection, it’s an exotic headliner that begs to be enjoyed and dissected. Hoist that geek flag high!

Cellarable

Cellarable

LIMIT 6 PER MEMBER.

Limited Supply. Requests processed in the order received.

The Rare Barrel - Mister Tea - $23.99 for 1x750ml bottle
    Style: Sour Ale, ABV: 6.2%
    They are certainly procuring some interesting, hard to find ales.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Dropout (undated can)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Founders snifter yielded a viscous, black elixir with a thick, foamy tan head about 2 fingers tall. Smelled like dark chocolate-covered bourbon balls. Mouthfeel was almost chewy and fudge-like but quite silky and smooth. Tasted like the aforementioned bourbon balls, topped with a coffee bean with a swirl of black strap molasses. Mild to moderate heavy-roasted grain bitterness. IBUs quoted at 52 and the ABV was 9.4% but really felt like another weight class. An outstanding BBA imperial stout for about $4/can. Ingredients:

HOPS: COLUMBUS, EAST KENT GOLDINGS, BRAMLING CROSS
    MALTS: PALE ALE, BLACKPRINZ, COFFEE MALT, PALE CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE MALT, CARAMUNICH, MOLASSES

(caps not edited)

Saxy Machismo (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

After the 2 prior reviews here by fuse and Tripping William that were quite opposing views, I decided to taste a 2 ounce sample tonight after a half pint of the next review and cast the tie-breaking vote. Here's how Bottle Revolution has been marketing this for the last week or two (it apparently ain't flying out of the tap handle):

"Put on your fireproof pants, folks—this one’s got muscle. A smoky, raisin-sweet Belgian-style Quad infused with locally-grown smoked tobago chili peppers, then aged in Four Roses bourbon whiskey barrels for 3 months. Warning: Allowing Saxy Machismo within proximity of your beard during imbibing could result in spontaneous awesomeness."

What'd I think? It was a medium to dark brown with a small, tan head. Typical Belgian quad style nose of dried fruits with initial tastes of the same followed by some dark caramel sauce, moderate booziness and a mild amount of heat which likely would have intensified if I had a half pint ($4.50) or a full pint ($9) and allowed it to warm up during 30 minutes of sipping. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 12.2%.

Final vote? Happy to have had two ounces to try, wouldn't have been upset to have sipped 8 ounces and probably would have tolerated it, wouldn't consider buying the full pint unless it was for sharing and I'm sure as hell not spending $15 for one of the 500 ml bottles they had on the shelf.

How's that for a bob and weave/shuck and jive answer?

Doppelbock Christmas Bier-Farmbrew LLC (fka Weeping Radish; I think)

Product #1 from my December beer club 4 pack was a 16 ounce can. I've never like Weeping Radish, NC's original craft brewery, and this pint of mediocrity did basically nothing to sway that long-standing opinion.

Pour had the expected medium brown-ruby color but, even an aggressive dump of the first 12 ounces into a standard pint glass failed to yield more than a thin, short-lived head. Faint aromas of milk chocolate and cherries gave me a bit more hope but the rather thin body with marginal flavors of light caramel, toasted whole wheat bread and milk chocolate failed to provide the expected level of tastes from this style. There were hints of wet cardboard and an "off-taste" that sadly reminded me of their brews I'd tried 20-25 years ago when I first embarked on my craft beer journey. IBU quoted at 20.0 (yes, they used a decimal point ), about right for the style (lager) and ABV was 8.1%, enough to be a bit buzz-worthy, but overall, a somewhat disappointing offering. Not Ycch, Beer worthy, but perhaps giving consideration to starting a Meh, Beer thread .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Saxy Machismo (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

After the 2 prior reviews here by fuse and Tripping William that were quite opposing views, I decided to taste a 2 ounce sample tonight after a half pint of the next review and cast the tie-breaking vote. Here's how Bottle Revolution has been marketing this for the last week or two (it apparently ain't flying out of the tap handle):

"Put on your fireproof pants, folks—this one’s got muscle. A smoky, raisin-sweet Belgian-style Quad infused with locally-grown smoked tobago chili peppers, then aged in Four Roses bourbon whiskey barrels for 3 months. Warning: Allowing Saxy Machismo within proximity of your beard during imbibing could result in spontaneous awesomeness."

What'd I think? It was a medium to dark brown with a small, tan head. Typical Belgian quad style nose of dried fruits with initial tastes of the same followed by some dark caramel sauce, moderate booziness and a mild amount of heat which likely would have intensified if I had a half pint ($4.50) or a full pint ($9) and allowed it to warm up during 30 minutes of sipping. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 12.2%.

Final vote? Happy to have had two ounces to try, wouldn't have been upset to have sipped 8 ounces and probably would have tolerated it, wouldn't consider buying the full pint unless it was for sharing and I'm sure as hell not spending $15 for one of the 500 ml bottles they had on the shelf.

How's that for a bob and weave/shuck and jive answer?
    Feel free to send all y'all's Saxy* Machismo my way. [*Note: Vowel choice is important. ]
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Doppelbock Christmas Bier-Farmbrew LLC (fka Weeping Radish; I think)

Product #1 from my December beer club 4 pack was a 16 ounce can. I've never like Weeping Radish, NC's original craft brewery, and this pint of mediocrity did basically nothing to sway that long-standing opinion.

Pour had the expected medium brown-ruby color but, even an aggressive dump of the first 12 ounces into a standard pint glass failed to yield more than a thin, short-lived head. Faint aromas of milk chocolate and cherries gave me a bit more hope but the rather thin body with marginal flavors of light caramel, toasted whole wheat bread and milk chocolate failed to provide the expected level of tastes from this style. There were hints of wet cardboard and an "off-taste" that sadly reminded me of their brews I'd tried 20-25 years ago when I first embarked on my craft beer journey. IBU quoted at 20.0 (yes, they used a decimal point ), about right for the style (lager) and ABV was 8.1%, enough to be a bit buzz-worthy, but overall, a somewhat disappointing offering. Not Ycch, Beer worthy, but perhaps giving consideration to starting a Meh, Beer thread .
    Disappointing to read, as we have a 16oz can of Weeping Radish Christmas Bier chilling in the fridge. Impulse purchase when we found Cold Mountain at Bottle Rev Apex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Feel free to send all y'all's Saxy* Machismo my way. [*Note: Vowel choice is important. ]
    Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat...

Disappointing to read, as we have a 16oz can of Weeping Radish Christmas Bier chilling in the fridge. Impulse purchase when we found Cold Mountain at Bottle Rev Apex.
    Mine worked out to about $1.75 for the can via the beer club membership so I'm not too upset. Here's hoping your tasting is better than mine.

From 10/31/18:

The Fujiwhara Effect (mostly illegible date on bottom of can)-(collaboration) Captain Lawrence and Trophy Brewing Companies

Pint can trader from fuse! Thanks! Weighs in very heavily on the delicious side .

Poured aggressively into a pint glass (two 8 ounce servings) for a creamy/frothy head. Mildly cloudy, golden-yellow color.

Difference of opinion: I thought the aromas and tastes were pineapple and other tropical fruit juices with a mild to moderately bitter citrusy finish that fuse perceived up front.

Consensus of opinion: An excellent fruity IPA.

I'll guess 50 IBUs (more than a typical NEIPA, but not as hazy either) and the ABV was 7.5%, sitting on the IPA/IIPA border.

This one is worth an encore thank you.
    From tonight:

The Fujiwhara Effect-Trophy and Captain Lawerence Brewing Companies collaboration

Worth an encore, indeed!

Thanks fuse for including 2 instead of 1 in our trader a couple months ago.

Shared with our son over a plate of Ray Ray's food truck BBQ take-out in Columbus, OH tonight.

No date on this pint can.

Still very fresh even after another ~6 weeks in storage. Ton of citrus on the nose and palate. Enough hops/bitterness to pair with some pulled pork and some beef brisket, even with a dollop of jalapeno BBQ for additional flavoring though neither meat needed any additional flavoring.

This re-inforces Trophy as a local favorite and makes me more likely to try some more Captain Lawrence brews.

Santa's Stash 2018 (draft)-Compass Rose Brewing

Hyper local (8 ounce pour sipped about 1.5 blocks from my office on Thursday night and brewed about 3 miles from our house)!

It's a bit embarrassing that this brewery has been open for about 3 years now and we've never visited.

Pour was almost black with a thin, tan head. Lot going on from this barrel-aged imperial stout which was cacao-infused and then loaded up with pureed cherries from a Virginia orchard. Aromas are mostly dark chocolate and a whiff of coffee (not added). Mouthfeel is moderately viscous and smooth. Does anyone make a chocolate cherry jam because that's surely (don't call me that ) what this tastes like with a warming, bourbon-y chaser. Toss in some other dark, dried fruity flavors and your decadent dessert is complete. Another nice comparison would be a whiskey-infused Black Forest cake. Ymm, Beer indeed.

People's BBL Aged Porter-Foothills Brewing Company

Drink local!

Second of triplet bombers that cost me a 4 pack of Raspberry Tart this tailgate season. A fine trade for both parties, AFAIK.

I'm not sure I've ever had a better food-beer pairing than last night's dinner with our son and his wife. They (well, Ray Ray's food truck) provided the pulled pork, smoked brisket, slaw, cheesy potatoes and specialty baked beans and I provided the 2 beers. This one poured a dark brown with a moderate, foamy, mocha head. Smells like a porter should with chocolate, caramel and coffee and tastes like one, too, with the flavors matching the scents with booze as a strong front man and on the back end. Roasty bitterness with IBUs of 38 and a standard porter ABV at 5.8%. A perfect match-up with the smokiness of the meats, some mayo and vinegar in the slaw and the other sides. More Ymm, Beer.

People's BBL Aged Porter-Foothills Brewing Company

Drink local!

Second of triplet bombers that cost me a 4 pack of Raspberry Tart this tailgate season. A fine trade for both parties, AFAIK.

I'm not sure I've ever had a better food-beer pairing than last night's dinner with our son and his wife. They (well, Ray Ray's food truck) provided the pulled pork, smoked brisket, slaw, cheesy potatoes and specialty baked beans and I provided the 2 beers. This one poured a dark brown with a moderate, foamy, mocha head. Smells like a porter should with chocolate, caramel and coffee and tastes like one, too, with the flavors matching the scents with booze as a strong front man and on the back end. Roasty bitterness with IBUs of 38 and a standard porter ABV at 5.8%. A perfect match-up with the smokiness of the meats, some mayo and vinegar in the slaw and the other sides. More Ymm, Beer.
    Yeah, I need to find me another couple of bottles of this. All I have at the moment is the Cherry version.

Yeah, I need to find me another couple of bottles of this. All I have at the moment is the Cherry version.
    Looks like I missed my opportunity (if there ever was one) for the Cherry Porter. Can’t find it anywhere, and I have been looking.

Did pick up a couple cans of the Mother Earth Brut IPA and Fullsteam Venithe Saison.

I had to check Fullsteam’s website and whoah, have they retired a lot of beer. I wonder if that has to do with head brewer turnover.

https://www.fullsteam.ag/beer

Fullsteam and El Toro (the infamous cream ale) retired?????

Cackalacky? 😭😭😭😭😭

Looks like I missed my opportunity (if there ever was one) for the Cherry Porter. Can’t find it anywhere, and I have been looking.

Did pick up a couple cans of the Mother Earth Brut IPA and Fullsteam Venithe Saison.

I had to check Fullsteam’s website and whoah, have they retired a lot of beer. I wonder if that has to do with head brewer turnover.

https://www.fullsteam.ag/beer

Fullsteam and El Toro (the infamous cream ale) retired?????

Cackalacky? 😭😭😭😭😭
    I have two and will hold one for you, provided you take up bowling eventually ...

Fiddlin’ Fish [Wanker] Over Tea Kettle 2018

Reminder that this is a Belgian-style winter ale, but intended as Russian te with a kick (as in 9.3% ABV). This is delicious. Color of a good tripel. A hint of bubble-gum, with some spices and clove. As good as the 2017. Maybe better.

I have two and will hold one for you, provided you take up bowling eventually ...
    Very kind, and generous. I feel certain I can take up bowling eventually...

Fullsteam Igor Imperial Stout

Okay, I acknowledge that I have become a stout snob. This was okay; nothing about which to write home. I’m beginning to think that the stout category is becoming like the IPA category: One in which it is hard to stand out because of so many high-quality offerings.

Okay, I acknowledge that I have become a stout snob. This was okay; nothing about which to write home. I’m beginning to think that the stout category is becoming like the IPA category: One in which it is hard to stand out because of so many high-quality offerings.
    After falling prey to two years of spoiled Igor bottles (which Fullsteam admitted post release its first two years) I have to say Igor is one Fullsteam beer I actively avoid. Historically the Fullsteam Igor twitter account was a bit of silly (if repetitive) fun.

There was a year Fullsteam released a few variants, a tequila barrel aged (Senor Igor) version, and a smaller ABV version (Son of Igor).

I was not able to find a Senor Igor, which everyone raved about. I found Son of Igor to be pretty good, just not a standout.

Trying to frame fuse, eh?