Page 140 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 40901301381391401411421501902406401140 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    New Glarus-I think about 95% is distributed in Wisconsin, the remaining 5% to Chicago. My BIL took a mixed 6er of Sisters of the Moon stuff to the beer manager at Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kin-tucky, in hopes of him returning from his business trip to Madison with some New Glarus. That was last summer and still no New Glarus but a drug rep has family there and brought back a mixed 6er of session brews a month or so ago.

Three Floyds-I think Total Wine has had them in the past but not sure I have ever had one.

Russian River-I have only tasted Damnation and will be in Colorado next week so I will look for a bottle or two. For some bizarre reason, they list Philadelphia as a site to which they distribute. http://russianriverbrewing.com/where-to-get-our-beers.

Looks like New Belgium and Sierra Nevada will have breweries in the Asheville area soon.
    Still looking but Sam's is out of Hoptimum. It would take me a while to post an inventory but if you want to part with a bottle of Hoptimum, let me know what beer you'd want in exchange and I will see what I can accomodate :-)

-g

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Still looking but Sam's is out of Hoptimum. It would take me a while to post an inventory but if you want to part with a bottle of Hoptimum, let me know what beer you'd want in exchange and I will see what I can accomodate :-)

-g
    Will report on a Hoptimum this weekend. I think we can work something out for trading one or several. Check your PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Two Women-New Glarus Brewing

A Wisconsin lager, and a solid one with some body and flavor, too. Named after the two ladies who run the malting company who provides grain for the brews and New Glarus itself, this slightly sweet and mildly hoppy brew is a nice session brew. I shared one of these with Lavabe last PM, along with the next brew and we were surprised and pleased. I received this as a trader from a drug rep who visited his family in Wisconsin over the holidays and it was just warm enough here last PM to uncap a lighter beer. Pours a light amber with a modest head and aroma of floral hops and light caramel malts with tastes to match. I could not find IBU or ABV but would estimate 20 and 5% respectively so this beverage is fine for tasting/sharing in an afternoon or eveing or serving with almost any mild dishes. And what better way to conclude a review than to say "I tasted Two Women" last evening.

Spotted Cow-New Glarus Brewing

This farmhouse ale made a nice follow-up to the Two Women. It is a straw-colored and slightly hazy pour with fizz instead of foam and scents of flowers and tastes of crisp, slightly underripe apples and pears. No IBU or ABV stats to be found but there is little hop presence here so I'd guess 10-20 with an ABV of 5-6%. This would make a fine ale to sip on a warm/hot spring or summer day or with some fresh berries or any light fish or chicken dishes.

7453.jpg

Sam Adams Noble Pils

I was saving this line for Victory Prima Pils, but I think it applies here as well.
    Sam Adams Noble Pils is what all the macro brew lagers (Bud, Miller, etc) wish they could be.

Start with a citrusy, mown grass nose, a mild amount of hop bitterness ( all five Noble hops, hence the name - Saaz, Spalt, Tettnang, Hallertauer, the other escapes me. )

A surprising malty finish. Deep gold in the glass is an exaggeration, but it is a deeper shade than the pale gold of a Budweiser or Miller Lite.

This could be the ultimate law mower or session beer. Its a shame that this is a later winter/ early spring seasonal and not a year round offering.

This is a great American pils. It might not compare to an unskunked Pilsner Urquell, or Trumer Pils ( still looking to try one ). Other great American pilsners include the aforementioned Victory Prima Pils ( a bit more bit, significantly hoppier) and from the makers of Dale's Pale Ale, Oskar Blues, the awesomely named Momma's Little Yella Pils. Oskar Blues is can only, so it's pool friendly to boot!

Sam Adams gets unfairly painted as the big boy of craft brewing, and some turn away from Sam Adams while traveling their beer discovery journey. Sam Adams makes great beers, and Noble Pils is a great beer at a great price point. Find and enjoy!

I was saving this line for Victory Prima Pils, but I think it applies here as well.
    Sam Adams Noble Pils is what all the macro brew lagers (Bud, Miller, etc) wish they could be.

Start with a citrusy, mown grass nose, a mild amount of hop bitterness ( all five Noble hops, hence the name - Saaz, Spalt, Tettnang, Hallertauer, the other escapes me. )

A surprising malty finish. Deep gold in the glass is an exaggeration, but it is a deeper shade than the pale gold of a Budweiser or Miller Lite.

This could be the ultimate law mower or session beer. Its a shame that this is a later winter/ early spring seasonal and not a year round offering.

This is a great American pils. It might not compare to an unskunked Pilsner Urquell, or Trumer Pils ( still looking to try one ). Other great American pilsners include the aforementioned Victory Prima Pils ( a bit more bit, significantly hoppier) and from the makers of Dale's Pale Ale, Oskar Blues, the awesomely named Momma's Little Yella Pils. Oskar Blues is can only, so it's pool friendly to boot!

Sam Adams gets unfairly painted as the big boy of craft brewing, and some turn away from Sam Adams while traveling their beer discovery journey. Sam Adams makes great beers, and Noble Pils is a great beer at a great price point. Find and enjoy!
    I had a bottle of this as a trader last year and really liked it. Have not had a Prima Pils for several years. And the Pilsner Urquell on draft is superb. The stuff is the green bottles is wretched. I like SA and have several traders from CB&B from last month that are more spring/summer beers that I should start sipping next month. I'd add Tuppers Hop Pocket Pils to your list.

Here's a review I did from February, 2010:

SA Noble Pils-Quite a nice, pleasant offering in the middle of winter. This is a light, golden yellow lager which is clean and crisp. Soft floral aromas abound with some pear and apple notes, too. Apparently there are 5 types of Noble hops and this brew uses them all. Very slightly sweet, probably with caramel and crystal malts for a nice balance. Serve well-chilled with lighter grilled fare and dinner salads and the low IBU of about 20-30 and low ABV of about 5% will make a nice combo. I am cheating on CB&B and 8-X again as I received this as a trader last week.

Matilda (4/11 bottling)-Goose Island Brewing

Very interesting brew. This is a Belgian style pale ale and the caramel malts dominate and there are notes of apples and pears but the truly fascinating qualities and flavors of this creamy, cloudy yellow-orange beverage originate from the yeast. Initially, I thought typical Belgian and peppery, but, after several sips from a tulip glass, I thought this is a bit barnyard-type funky and reading the bottle confirms that this is a Brettanomyces yeast brewed ale. IBU a bit low for a pale ale at 32 and ABV a shade high at 7% but this would pair nicely with soft cheeses during your pre-dinner snacking, or with spicy dishes for your entree. I wanted to wait a year before drinking (they say it will develop up to 5 years in the bottle) but just couldn't resist sharing this bomber a month early with Lavabe last week when he visited. After all, he did send it down over Christmas to help cover the cost of his wife's room and board over the holidays

23624.jpg.

Goose me!

IPA-Odell Brewing

Beer trip time. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a brew unavailable in NC so I bought a 6er this week while at a meeting in Colorado and sipped a couple and play to return to NC Friday with the remainder, along with some 90 Shilling I bought today.

This is a pretty standard session IPA with some grapefruit zest up front and some piney resins in the finish. Pours a golden-orange with a creamy head and the hops are well balanced with the lighter malts. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 7% so pretty standard for the style and a good match with BBQ fare or spicy foods. Would have been even finer to locate some of their Woodcut or Single Serve series, too.

ipa-1.jpg

90 Shilling Ale-Odell Brewing

I thought this was a Scotch ale by the name but it's really an amber and a good one, too. In fact, I'd take one of these over a Fat Tire. Pours a light brown with a mild foamy head and a bit of nuttiness and slight floral notes. Slightly sweet with minimal bitterness, checking in at 27 IBU with an ABV of 5.3% so I am using this as a "set-up" for my dessert beer tonight. It would also be fine at a cook out with chicken, burgers and steaks.

2177.jpg

Cherry Chocolate Stout-Stone/Troegs Brewing

Fascinating story behind this brew, apparently entered at the last minute as a home brew in a contest last year. I am not that big a fan of fruit beers but this luscious concoction really impressed me. The pour is a deep brown with a hint of ruby, both in the body and creamy mocha head. There are hints of the same in the smells and tastes but the best way to describe the flavor is that of a dark chocolate covered bing cherry. The label also says vanilla beans and they are barely perceptible. Roasted bitterness from all the dark malts is present and hops are minimal, but I'd guess the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is on the bottle as 7.3%, making this a bit more potent than a standard stout but not quite an imperial stout. Let this warm to cellar temperature, decant and enjoy for dessert tonight if you can find a bottle. I was lucky enough to stumble across one of these in a Colorado spirits store this week and paid $4.29 for the 12 ounce bottle. A bit spendy, but budlites were $4-5 for a bottle/draft and I found this to be far more rewarding and tasty .

The story:

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/110720pr/

The label/bottle:

150018.jpg

Black Hemp-O'Fallon Brewery

This black ale has an herbal, piney nose and taste with a bit of mild chocolate and smokiness from the black malt, oats and rye used for brewing in addition to the hemp seeds. Pours a thin, dark brown with a small tan head. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40 as there is little bitterness and I'd estimate the ABV to be about 6%. I'd serve this with smoked, hard cheeses or meats, including game or sausages. This was a rental fee from Lavabe last weekend from the Liquor Barn when he visited and did a bit of library work at Duke. Some folks will see this as a trader in future 6ers but would not hesitate keeping one for my self for a bit later this spring.

137828.jpg

Cherry Chocolate Stout-Stone/Troegs Brewing

Fascinating story behind this brew, apparently entered at the last minute as a home brew in a contest last year. I am not that big a fan of fruit beers but this luscious concoction really impressed me. The pour is a deep brown with a hint of ruby, both in the body and creamy mocha head. There are hints of the same in the smells and tastes but the best way to describe the flavor is that of a dark chocolate covered bing cherry. The label also says vanilla beans and they are barely perceptible. Roasted bitterness from all the dark malts is present and hops are minimal, but I'd guess the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is on the bottle as 7.3%, making this a bit more potent than a standard stout but not quite an imperial stout. Let this warm to cellar temperature, decant and enjoy for dessert tonight if you can find a bottle. I was lucky enough to stumble across one of these in a Colorado spirits store this week and paid $4.29 for the 12 ounce bottle. A bit spendy, but budlites were $4-5 for a bottle/draft and I found this to be far more rewarding and tasty .

The story:

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/110720pr/

The label/bottle:

150018.jpg
    I bought a couple bottles last fall (?) when it came out. I should have bought more. I did not take notes, but dessert in a glass and very tasty.

Adoration-Ommegang Brewing

Labeled as a Special Winter Ale on the bottle, I would have to heartily agree. This is basically a dubble, or Belgian brown ale that has been laced with 5 spices and they vary depending on whether you read the label or the web site . The bottle lists coriander, cardamon, mace, grains of paradise and sweet orange peel. Their brewer's description substitutes cumin for the orange peel. Personally, I think this tastes a bit like orange peel. It is a cloudy, medium brown pour with a lacy/foamy head that has faint floral notes from what I perceive to be only a mildly hopped brew, guessing 30 IBU. The malts dominate with dried dark fruity flavors including raisins, dates and figs with a bit of brown sugar. The spicing is somewhat subtle with the orange zest more prominent to my palate. I divided the 750 ml corked and caged bottle over a couple nights as it was 10% ABV and sipped it chilled but not cold. Very enjoyable concoction that could be served for dessert or with dessert such as a tray of dark candied fruits or even a nutty fruit cake. I think I only paid about $8 or $9 for the bottle instead of the typical $10-12 that retailers typically ask for the Ommegang specialty brews.

107945.jpg

Alpine Spring-Boston Beer Company

I received this as a trade from CB&B a month or so ago and it was 80 in Raleigh today so I thought I would break out this one from from Sam Adams spring 12 pack. It is a slightly cloudy, pale yellow lager brewed with Nobel Tettnang hops from the Alps which impart light floral notes and slight bitterness to the brew, guessing 20 IBU or so. Pale and honey malts balance well giving the brew a slightly caramel like taste, too. I'd guess the ABV to be about 5% so quite a nice brew to usher in the first day of spring, along with the IPA I am sipping now to finish the evening/night. If you'd like to try different styles of beers, I'd recommend just about any of the SA 12 packs, assuming you drink the obligatory Boston lager first to get it out of the way, or use it to cook your chicken or chili .

Alpine Spring-Boston Beer Company

I received this as a trade from CB&B a month or so ago and it was 80 in Raleigh today so I thought I would break out this one from from Sam Adams spring 12 pack. It is a slightly cloudy, pale yellow lager brewed with Nobel Tettnang hops from the Alps which impart light floral notes and slight bitterness to the brew, guessing 20 IBU or so. Pale and honey malts balance well giving the brew a slightly caramel like taste, too. I'd guess the ABV to be about 5% so quite a nice brew to usher in the first day of spring, along with the IPA I am sipping now to finish the evening/night. If you'd like to try different styles of beers, I'd recommend just about any of the SA 12 packs, assuming you drink the obligatory Boston lager first to get it out of the way, or use it to cook your chicken or chili .
    I had a couple of these last night. This might be a good "transition" beer from macro to micro/craft brew.
    It is a very nice lager and very refreshing.

I had a couple of these last night. This might be a good "transition" beer from macro to micro/craft brew.
    It is a very nice lager and very refreshing.
    I'll place a small wager of OPK's or Ozzie's 401 K funds that you probably have had the SA Whitewater IPA. That was another trader I got from CB&B a month or two ago and savored one of these Wednesday night. I'll try to cobble my thoughts together tonight and drop a note here. It was an intriguing brew.

Whitewater IPA-Boston Beer Company

This was another single CB&B traded me a couple months ago from the SA spring 12 pack sampler. Quite the intriguing ale. It is a fusion of a Belgian white ale and a typical IPA with the twist of apricots being added. So, the Belgian white part is the wheat malt which makes it a bit fizzy and imparts a bit of orange zest to the flavor. The IPA contribution is the grapefruitiness of the hops and the moderate bitterness. It is a slightly cloudy yellow-orange pour with a modest head. The caramel and pale malts blend with the subtle tastes of apricots to balance the bitterness and add a bit of sweetness. I'd guess the IBU to be about 60-70 range and the IBU about 6%. I'd also categorize this as a nice brew to make the transition from macro to micro as fuse suggested and applaud the SA folks for their adventure here. Certainly worth a couple from the 12 pack or even a 6er to keep a couple for yourself and trade/share the others.

881452b8-5ea3-419c-b391-225e8d8a2c98.jpg

Moon Man-New Glarus Brewing

No Coast Pale Ale. Hey, it says so on the bottle. This was a trader with a drug rep who calls on the office after he returned from Wisconsin over the Christmas holidays. Poured an orange-yellow with a foamy head and had mild tastes of grapefruit created nicely from five hops and balanced well with caramel and pale malts. Modest IBU guessing 40-50 and an estimated ABV of under 6%. Good spring or cookout brew.

118767.jpg

I'll place a small wager of OPK's or Ozzie's 401 K funds that you probably have had the SA Whitewater IPA. That was another trader I got from CB&B a month or two ago and savored one of these Wednesday night. I'll try to cobble my thoughts together tonight and drop a note here. It was an intriguing brew.
    Hmmm, I would have lost you some money. The Alpine Spring was something I was lucky to come across while out with some business associates, so I've not picked up the mix pack.

2012 New Belgium Lips of Faith La Folie

Fair warning, I really like sour beers. Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the 2011 New Belgium Lips of Faith Le Terroir, which was unbelievably good.

La Folie is another outstanding beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith line, which is New Belgium's limited release seasonal series in 22oz bombers.

For the unsuspecting drinker, La Folie looks like any other light brown ale. From a distance in a glass, you might even confuse it with a Newcastle. Stick your nose in the glass and you'll be rewarded with a woody, somewhat funky aroma.

If memory serves, the 2010 and 2011 La Folie I would have described as a "sour patch kid" in a glass. If you like drinks that make you pucker up, La Folie is for you.

The 2012 is surprisingly less intense, perhaps more mature. There is a brief sweet tang up front, but the finish is all sour that lingers, with a bit of a woody note.

There is no balance here, and that is fine by me. This sour brown ale really hits the spot. I'd be hard pressed to suggest food pairings (the New Belgium website has some suggestions) but a mild cheese might work.

If you like tart or sour flavours, La Folie is not to be missed.