Page 555 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 5545550554555355455555655756560565510551555 ... LastLast
Results 11,081 to 11,100 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I gotta tell you that I am not bragging about my beer fridge, but just lamenting about someone (me) who never liked beer until moving to AVL, resulting in overindulgent purchases of high quality beers that my limited drinking capacity cannot handle. Every time I tasted a great beer, I would buy too much for me to consume within a reasonable time. Hence, the ridiculous number of high quality beers remaining in the fridge. Heck, I haven't even tried some beers that dd brought me well over a year ago. Like I have offered in the past, there is an open invitation for beer consuming DBR posters to come visit and help me in reducing my beer collection.

Now, as far as Event Horizon is concerned, I beg to differ in your assessment. The bottle I had last night was really, really good. The bourbon barrel aging effect was not too strong (which is the way I prefer) and there was an excellent dark chocolate flavor throughout. Not even a hint of soy, or any other funky taste, to me. Really fine stuff to me, but on the flip slide, I am not an IPA nor Wicked Weed sour fan like you. So, I guess it is just a matter of what each individual prefers.

ricks
    My apologies as sometimes the internet is tone deaf. I meant no offense, just a good natured hard time.

If chocolatey imperial stouts are something you enjoy, see if Bruisin Ales has Raleigh Brewing Company's The Toll bba stout. I though it was really rich and chocolatey.

I gotta tell you that I am not bragging about my beer fridge, but just lamenting about someone (me) who never liked beer until moving to AVL, resulting in overindulgent purchases of high quality beers that my limited drinking capacity cannot handle. Every time I tasted a great beer, I would buy too much for me to consume within a reasonable time. Hence, the ridiculous number of high quality beers remaining in the fridge. Heck, I haven't even tried some beers that dd brought me well over a year ago. Like I have offered in the past, there is an open invitation for beer consuming DBR posters to come visit and help me in reducing my beer collection.

Now, as far as Event Horizon is concerned, I beg to differ in your assessment. The bottle I had last night was really, really good. The bourbon barrel aging effect was not too strong (which is the way I prefer) and there was an excellent dark chocolate flavor throughout. Not even a hint of soy, or any other funky taste, to me. Really fine stuff to me, but on the flip slide, I am not an IPA nor Wicked Weed sour fan like you. So, I guess it is just a matter of what each individual prefers.

ricks
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    My apologies as sometimes the internet is tone deaf. I meant no offense, just a good natured hard time.

If chocolatey imperial stouts are something you enjoy, see if Bruisin Ales has Raleigh Brewing Company's The Toll bba stout. I though it was really rich and chocolatey.
    As my dearly departed Aunt Ruthie used to say frequently, "To each his own." Mrs. dd quotes that quite often when there is a difference of opinion among members of the devildeac (extended) family. I've probably been kinder/gentler/less blunt than other beer tasters/reviewers, especially when gifted/traded/delivered beer for fear of insulting the giver/purchaser and ending up with future selections of various Ycch, Beers, lumps of coal/rocks, or worse, nothing at all . Fortunately, the number of ales that have been procured on my behalf by various residents of Ymm, Beer has greatly exceeded the number of stinkers I've tasted, likely by a hundredfold or more, and, for that, I remain constantly grateful/appreciative of their efforts. I've dropped a few bad brews off in my exchanges, too, but never knowingly/intentionally. "You first must kiss a few frogs before you find your prince/princess." Or something like that .

Fuse is not alone in his soy "sensitivity/perceptions" as a number of folks on ratebeer and/or beeradvocate have also used that term to describe their perceptions when sampling an ale, almost always an imperial stout. It's generally not a term of endearment as mattman has researched/posted in the past and usually means the beer has been "hydrolyzed." Perhaps not yet "turned," but certainly not a positive descriptor. But, sometimes, I think it can simply be an adjective of what the taster senses, much as pine/resin/sour/acidic/etc might not sound too appealing to other drinkers.

I'm going to finish my 2015 bomber of Event Horizon after dinner and have some thoughts up late tonight or in the AM about that tasting.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'll also offer to make a trip to RBC next week and see if they have any specially priced packages of 2016 The Toll and/or RaleighWood for ricks68's tastings. But, knowing how full his fridge is...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll also offer to make a trip to RBC next week and see if they have any specially priced packages of 2016 The Toll and/or RaleighWood for ricks68's tastings. But, knowing how full his fridge is...
    Means there is probably room in Mattman's fridge for "storage".

Event Horizon is solid, but I prefer Lindley Park. Still have one in the fridge from last year.

Double Barley Double Dubbel

Pours dark into a snifter.
    Smells like dates, figs, raisins and brown sugar.

Friends of ours gifted us this bottle raving about how amazing it is.

Surprisingly good. I wouldn't charge out to go find it, and if you like Belgian style dubbels, it is worth a try.

Brueprint Oak Barrel Aged Scotch Style Ale
    (Oak Aged Edinbrue)
    Either earlier 2016, maybe a 2015 but no date on the bottle

Clear pour with a thick yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle that did not disturb.

Mildly peaty nose.

Definitely a smoky finish.

Too cold to really get much else out of it.
    Not as good as remembered, which likely means I opened it at the right time instead of aging further.

Maybe I'll amend this after it warms up.

Brueprint Oak Barrel Aged Scotch Style Ale
    (Oak Aged Edinbrue)
    Either earlier 2016, maybe a 2015 but no date on the bottle

Clear pour with a thick yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle that did not disturb.

Mildly peaty nose.

Definitely a smoky finish.

Too cold to really get much else out of it.
    Not as good as remembered, which likely means I opened it at the right time instead of aging further.

Maybe I'll amend this after it warms up.
    Not bad. Was better fresh.

Blackstone Black Belle Imperial Stout
    Infused with cacoa nibs and aged in bourbon barrels

Another Nashville find, 10.2% ABV.

Vanilla and bourbon nose.

Strong bourbon finish. Undecided on initial sip if there is soy up front.

Would have thought cacoa nibs would have added some chocolate.

Really mostly a bourbon bomb.

Decent if overpriced.

Decent if overpriced.
    Getting better and more chocolatey as it warms.
    My opinion of this beer is improving.

Another good study of temperature counts.

Less than average beer cold, pretty good as it warms up.

I may not like Coors Light. The "blue mountain" label concept would be great for all beer labels- right temperature have an obvious sign.

I'm starting to think about fridge hacks and digital control. Would be a fun project.

Decent if overpriced.
    Not good news.

Good news.

I may not like Coors Light. The "blue mountain" label concept would be great for all beer labels- right temperature have an obvious sign.

I'm starting to think about fridge hacks and digital control. Would be a fun project.
    You must be Putin me on.

(I'm going to pay dearly for that one I fear .)

I'm not going to go Russian to any conclusions however.

I'm not going to go Russian to any conclusions however.
    Don't you be Stalin with said conclusions, nyet.

Was kinda disappointed with the Toll the other night, and just refilled my two empty spaces in my beer fridge with new Chocolatized, so I am not in the market for any more Toll at this time. (I mean, no matter how full the fridge, how can you pass up a few Chocolatized?)

(And, of course I got both you and fuse the 2 bottles each that you requested today.)

ricks

No problem with the hard time, but I just felt it was time to help set the record straight, anyway. I really do not like facing that full beer fridge all the time, as my beer drinking capacity is so small compared to you guys, that it is very frustrating. I know I am very frequently complaining about having so many great beers and can't seem to whittle them down. I have a lot of trouble getting into a second pint at home in one night, and since I don't drink out of the fridge that often during the week, my acquisitions keep staying a little ahead of my consumption. (Now, if I could just not visit the local breweries so much during the week, that would help a whoooooooole lot. That would mean no beers, like the limited releases, that are only on draft by so many breweries here every week. I would have missed out on the James Brown Brown Ale today at Pisgah, or the Carolina Mountain Monster a few days ago at ABC, or some of the latest at Burial, or a lot of good stuff at Innovation, etc. I think Mattman can fill you in more on that!) I'm trying. I'm trying. I'm just not winning, that's all, and do not see the light at the back of the beer fridge-----literally.

ricks

No problem with the hard time, but I just felt it was time to help set the record straight, anyway. I really do not like facing that full beer fridge all the time, as my beer drinking capacity is so small compared to you guys, that it is very frustrating. I know I am very frequently complaining about having so many great beers and can't seem to whittle them down. I have a lot of trouble getting into a second pint at home in one night, and since I don't drink out of the fridge that often during the week, my acquisitions keep staying a little ahead of my consumption. (Now, if I could just not visit the local breweries so much during the week, that would help a whoooooooole lot. That would mean no beers, like the limited releases, that are only on draft by so many breweries here every week. I would have missed out on the James Brown Brown Ale today at Pisgah, or the Carolina Mountain Monster a few days ago at ABC, or some of the latest at Burial, or a lot of good stuff at Innovation, etc. I think Mattman can fill you in more on that!) I'm trying. I'm trying. I'm just not winning, that's all, and do not see the light at the back of the beer fridge-----literally.

ricks
    Sounds/looks like Mrs. ricks68 might have to put you under house arrest.

Was kinda disappointed with the Toll the other night, and just refilled my two empty spaces in my beer fridge with new Chocolatized, so I am not in the market for any more Toll at this time. (I mean, no matter how full the fridge, how can you pass up a few Chocolatized?)

(And, of course I got both you and fuse the 2 bottles each that you requested today.)

ricks
    Duly noted. Will avoid Raleigh Brewing for a while.