Page 1123 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 123623102310731113112111221123112411251133117312231623 ... LastLast
Results 22,441 to 22,460 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Brewery Bhavana Cellar Door Number 11

😢
    Not the last one in the house, and yet the last one in the membership.
    Some days you’re just lucky enough for it to be a two Brewery Bhavana kind of day.

Flanders red style aged in oak for two years and finished over NC blueberries.

A very lush cranberry red with minimal head.

Mildly sour nose.

Initial sweet blueberry yields to a sharp, tart finish.

This is a tongue coating sour.

Would have been a great foil to Cellar Door number one shared on Topsail.
    I’m embarrassed to admit I forgot I had it. 😳

This is a style of beer I really enjoy.

Cheers! 🍻

Anyone placing an order?

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/49...2748960798.png

At $249.99, I believe I'll pass .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wake Up Porter-Birdsong Brewing Company

Credit-beer #3 in my November beer club 4 pack
    Format-pint can
    Appearance-medium to dark brown; foamy tan head
    Nose-java, milk chocolate (not added)
    Mouthfeel-roasty
    Tastes-coffee, hints of vanilla, cocoa and a bit metallic at the end
    IBU-28
    ABV-5.8%
    Overall impression-happy to taste it with my 4 pack but wouldn't revisit; Coffee is for Closers is better
    Ymm, Beer rating-low to mid cat 2

Hey, accfanfrom1970, when are you opening the Virtual Pub doors tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hey, accfanfrom1970, when are you opening the Virtual Pub doors tomorrow?

Early. Thinking 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Early. Thinking 10am.
    Excellent. Thanks. Stouts for breakfast/brunch.

A trip to Growler Grlz

My first visit. A total of 42 taps, plus a solid pizza joint next door. My two pints:

(1) Durty Bull $300 Jeans NEDIPA. 10% ABV. Super-duper hazy. Almost to the point of milkshake IPA. Also mega-dank, with some funkiness going on with the fruit. A big, big beer, and memorable. Not quite Cat 3, but gets close.

(2) Gizmo's Big S.I.P.A. sour IPA. This was a fascinating beer. From the brewer:

Pale, wheat and honey malt are mashed and then soured, creating one big bang of tartness. An ever-changing variety of star studded hops connect the dots, completing the constellation of flavor. Is it hoppy? Is it sour? This brew will have you pondering some of life’s biggest mysteries as you stare up at the stars…no telescope required.
    Once I got past the philosophical questions (i.e., "What is this??"), I liked it a lot. For a fusion of two different styles, it was really well-balanced. If you're feeling adventuresome, give it a whirl. Doesn't quite clear the Cat 3 threshold if only because you have to think about it a lot, and be in the right frame of mind. Otherwise, though, a solid beer.

I also came home with a 32-ounce growler of R&D's Maple Coffee Stout, which just might have to be poured around 10:00 a.m. tomorrow . . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

From 5/27/18:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Big S.I.P.A. (draft)-Gizmo Brew Works.

Half pint pour for $3 with the esteemed fuse this evening reviewed without notes.

Sour
    India
    Pale
    Ale

Yes, indeed, a contrast in styles. Pour was a light yellow with a small head. Smelled like pineapple-grapefruit lemonade. First taste was homemade lemonade with a generous mix of Dole pineapple-grapefruit juice. Maybe what a Juicyfruit radler would taste like. Very mildly astringent/sour with quite pleasant tropical nuances. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 40-50 and the ABV was 6.2%. Would pair well with a sweet and sour entree or some fruity salsa/queso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    My first visit. A total of 42 taps, plus a solid pizza joint next door. My two pints:

(1) Durty Bull $300 Jeans NEDIPA. 10% ABV. Super-duper hazy. Almost to the point of milkshake IPA. Also mega-dank, with some funkiness going on with the fruit. A big, big beer, and memorable. Not quite Cat 3, but gets close.

(2) Gizmo's Big S.I.P.A. sour IPA. This was a fascinating beer. From the brewer:

Once I got past the philosophical questions (i.e., "What is this??"), I liked it a lot. For a fusion of two different styles, it was really well-balanced. If you're feeling adventuresome, give it a whirl. Doesn't quite clear the Cat 3 threshold if only because you have to think about it a lot, and be in the right frame of mind. Otherwise, though, a solid beer.

I also came home with a 32-ounce growler of R&D's Maple Coffee Stout, which just might have to be poured around 10:00 a.m. tomorrow . . . . . .
    $300 Jeans=LOL

I thought the Big SIPA sounded familiar. Can't forget a name like that.

Bacon or sausage; pancakes or waffles; scrambled or omelet with your R&D brew?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Also had a conversation with Sweet Baby Jesus.

Its been years plural. That blend of chocolate and peanut butter is amazing.
    I very recently had a similar conversation. Really, really good balance of flavors in this beer. I had forgotten how much I like it.

I very recently had a similar conversation. Really, really good balance of flavors in this beer. I had forgotten how much I like it.
    Looks like you and fuse need to have more conversations:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/81067/

First Sierra Nevada Celebration draft of the year.
    Ymmm, Beer!

The pub is open. Stouts, any and all. If you’re going to drink all day you have to start early.

The pub is open. Stouts, any and all. If you’re going to drink all day you have to start early.
    Excellent!! Thanks for hosting!! Crank this one to 11:

Fluffer Nutter Barrel Blend from Hardywood.

Barleywine and Imperial milk stouts blended and aged 9 months in bourbon barrels. Enhanced with peanuts, toasted marshmallow and Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans. I got all milk stout no Barleywine. Bit of chocolate and bourbon up front. I swear you can taste the toasted marshmallow like at a campfire. Hint of peanut on the finish. Complex, thick. Best analogy? Taste like a S’mores in a bottle. Only at 12%abv. Easy category 3. Maybe not the best stout I’ve ever had, but definitely the most creative. This was a family tree member exclusive. Would love to get more.

I'll start:

Disclaimer: I sipped all my reviewed stouts over the last 5-6 days for today's Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub as I'm on call today so no alcohol. Yea, more crazietalk.net.

First, a classic:

I hated this beer 45 years ago in college during the cheap, bad beer days when dark beers didn't taste good. Fast forward to November, 2019 and...

Guinness Original-Guinness and Company

"Genuine Quality Stout"

Credit-August West; thanks!
    Format-11.2 ounce bottle; part of a Guinness mixed 12 pack
    Appearance-a clean, dark brown with a creamy, light tan head, almost nitro-like
    Nose-charred wood/grains; coffee; milk chocolate
    Mouthfeel-smooth; "dry"
    Tastes-burnt grains; milk chocolate; drop or two of coffee; woodsy
    IBU-30?
    ABV-4.2%
    Overall impression-if not "the original," then pretty darn early in stout history (around the 1800s); a classic
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 2

Edit: Oops, I see the bartender started so I'm actually second in line.

Fluffer Nutter Barrel Blend from Hardywood.

Barleywine and Imperial milk stouts blended and aged 9 months in bourbon barrels. Enhanced with peanuts, toasted marshmallow and Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans. I got all milk stout no Barleywine. Bit of chocolate and bourbon up front. I swear you can taste the toasted marshmallow like at a campfire. Hint of peanut on the finish. Complex, thick. Best analogy? Taste like a S’mores in a bottle. Only at 12%abv. Easy category 3. Maybe not the best stout I’ve ever had, but definitely the most creative. This was a family tree member exclusive. Would love to get more.
    That's quite the interesting comparison. Let's see if fuse notices that and comments on Trash Panda, a sour s'mores beer () he had a few months ago from D9 in/around Charlotte.

Virtual Pub Stout Day — R&D Maple Coffee Stout

Actually had this last night. Good not great. Pours the standard black, thin mocha head. Not much maple nor coffee on the nose. A bit more coffee on the palate, but I didn’t taste much maple at all. 9.0% ABV, so “medium-gravity.” Clears threshold to Cat 2, but not one I’ll hunt.

Actually had this last night. Good not great. Pours the standard black, thin mocha head. Not much maple nor coffee on the nose. A bit more coffee on the palate, but I didn’t taste much maple at all. 9.0% ABV, so “medium-gravity.” Clears threshold to Cat 2, but not one I’ll hunt.
    After this review, not one I'd search for either, even though they're located off Capital Boulevard headed toward downtown Raleigh and "on the other side of the tracks" from Neuse River and Nickelpoint Breweries near the Five Points area.

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout, FarmVille NC. On the bottle menu at the Durham bar and grill. Pours black, only 5.7% abv. Sweet of course, more “roasty” than most milk stouts I’ve had. Well done, nice on a cold evening. Cat 2.

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout, FarmVille NC. On the bottle menu at the Durham bar and grill. Pours black, only 5.7% abv. Sweet of course, more “roasty” than most milk stouts I’ve had. Well done, nice on a cold evening. Cat 2.
    That's one of their signature beers. Always tasty.