Page 868 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 36876881885886686786886987087891896813681868 ... LastLast
Results 17,341 to 17,360 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    https://www.bruisin-ales.com/copy-of...in-barrel.html

The Cider is $12.50 currently at Bruisin Ales.

That would still make the other 5 beers about $5.70/each after taxes.
    That's expensive apple juice .

I had a 375 ml bottle of pFriem's Super Saison (9.5% ABV) last PM that I bought at the brewery in July in Hood River for <$7 including tax and Oregon's 5 or 10 cent bottle deposit. I have another pFriem 375 ml serving that's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale at 10% ABV that was the same price.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I had a 375 ml bottle of pFriem's Super Saison (9.5% ABV) last PM that I bought at the brewery in July in Hood River for <$7 including tax and Oregon's 5 or 10 cent bottle deposit. I have another pFriem 375 ml serving that's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale at 10% ABV that was the same price.
    3 months of being in sauvignon blanc barrels and it is still apple juice

Mark you calendars:

10/25: National Sour Beer Day

11/1: International Stout Day (featuring Big Bad Baptist at Bottle Rev Raleigh)

The $16 Allagash Farm to Face peach sour I just had was a 375ml bottle (not 500ml as I originally thought).

Craft beer pricing is an interesting mystery.

I’ve seen amazing sub $2 singles, and currently have a (gifted) $42 750ml bottle.

Name and reputation counts in the cost equation for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The $16 Allagash Farm to Face peach sour I just had was a 375ml bottle (not 500ml as I originally thought).

Craft beer pricing is an interesting mystery.

I’ve seen amazing sub $2 singles, and currently have a (gifted) $42 750ml bottle.

Name and reputation counts in the cost equation for sure.
    Now, that one sounds enticing...

Spent the weekend with my buddies taking our kids to the Great Wolf Lodge so they could waterpark it up, while we tried our best to have a steady buzz from Saturday morning til Monday afternoon... Most of the time was spend with mixed drinks because it was easier to store rum/whisky/vodka in various containers (which I know the kids didn't accidentally get into since they all slept like sh9ft) and add them to our park issued novelty sodas. We did enjoy a variety of brews, however:

Luponic Distortion: IPA Series No. 10 - 5.9% ABV American IPA - Firestone Walker Brewing Company
    - I'm really becoming a fan of Firestone Walker; everything I've enjoyed from them recently has been a slam dunk. This was a nice little session beer that had a ton of flavor (hints of mango creamsicle, peach, and grapefruit) without being overbearing.

Scarlet > Fire - 5.6% ABV Red Ale - Tighthead Brewing Company - (Drink Local!)
    - Tasty balance of sweetness from the caramel malt and toasted notes from the roasted barley.

The Abyss 2017 - Tequila Barrel Aged - 11.8% ABV BA Imperial Stout - Deschutes Brewery
    - Went on a beer run on Sunday, and the local shop was completely unorganized with beer and liquor scattered all over the place... Since the wives didn't know we snuck out of the resort (told them we were going to pick up pizza from downstairs), I told the cashier we were in a hurry and to show me where the most expensive bottle of beer they carried was located. He reached under the front counter and pulled out this $24 bottle of deliciousness, and said that it didn't sell last year because of the price. We cracked it open and enjoyed it while watching the Bears lose to Brock(!) Oswelier (!!!), so luckily this kept us in a happy place and didn't ruin the day. The pour was thick as molasses and had a nose of dark chocolate and roasted cherry, with a complex taste consisting of cocoa, bourbon, tequila, and vanilla. The sticky/chewy aftertaste was divine and lingered long enough to allowed us to sip the bomber over course of the 2nd half of the game. 10/10, would splurge on it again.

Coming Soon (10/20/2018) - 2018 Marshmallow Handjee (#2 Beer in the World )

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Spent the weekend with my buddies taking our kids to the Great Wolf Lodge so they could waterpark it up, while we tried our best to have a steady buzz from Saturday morning til Monday afternoon... Most of the time was spend with mixed drinks because it was easier to store rum/whisky/vodka in various containers (which I know the kids didn't accidentally get into since they all slept like sh9ft) and add them to our park issued novelty sodas. We did enjoy a variety of brews, however:

Luponic Distortion: IPA Series No. 10 - 5.9% ABV American IPA - Firestone Walker Brewing Company
    - I'm really becoming a fan of Firestone Walker; everything I've enjoyed from them recently has been a slam dunk. This was a nice little session beer that had a ton of flavor (hints of mango creamsicle, peach, and grapefruit) without being overbearing.

- Tasty balance of sweetness from the caramel malt and toasted notes from the roasted barley.

The Abyss 2017 - Tequila Barrel Aged - 11.8% ABV BA Imperial Stout - Deschutes Brewery
    - Went on a beer run on Sunday, and the local shop was completely unorganized with beer and liquor scattered all over the place... Since the wives didn't know we snuck out of the resort (told them we were going to pick up pizza from downstairs), I told the cashier we were in a hurry and to show me where the most expensive bottle of beer they carried was located. He reached under the front counter and pulled out this $24 bottle of deliciousness, and said that it didn't sell last year because of the price. We cracked it open and enjoyed it while watching the Bears lose to Brock(!) Oswelier (!!!), so luckily this kept us in a happy place and didn't ruin the day. The pour was thick as molasses and had a nose of dark chocolate and roasted cherry, with a complex taste consisting of cocoa, bourbon, tequila, and vanilla. The sticky/chewy aftertaste was divine and lingered long enough to allowed us to sip the bomber over course of the 2nd half of the game. 10/10, would splurge on it again.

I've got a couple of 2015 Abyss that remain in the cellar ($20 each incl tax and shipping ), along with a 2017 Abyss, right next to three brandy barrel-aged 2017 and three scotch barrel-aged Abyss. You've got me thirsty...

Breathlessly awaiting your FFF review on Saturday to celebrate our son's birthday !

As a former subscriber, I can say I am part of the problem.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervan...gazine-is-dead

Chris Rice is a friend of a friend, and a co-founder of Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill. Carolina Brewery (outside of Weeping Radish) was the first Triangle brewpub to my knowledge, and used to have brilliant food along with good beer.

I’m pretty sure Chris sold his interest in Carolina Brewery to run All about Beer (although I could not tell you what year).

Pretty big signal that print is dead, and perhaps a signal that the American public (or at least its craft brew loving denizens) has learned all it wants to about beer.

A sad day given the magazine’s history.

As a former subscriber, I can say I am part of the problem.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervan...gazine-is-dead

Chris Rice is a friend of a friend, and a co-founder of Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill. Carolina Brewery (outside of Weeping Radish) was the first Triangle brewpub to my knowledge, and used to have brilliant food along with good beer.

I’m pretty sure Chris sold his interest in Carolina Brewery to run All about Beer (although I could not tell you what year).

Pretty big signal that print is dead, and perhaps a signal that the American public (or at least its craft brew loving denizens) has learned all it wants to about beer.

A sad day given the magazine’s history.
    This is indeed sad. I read many an issue of AAB as my craft beer interests grew. I will certainly raise a pint tonight in honor what they did for learning All About Beer over the last (almost) four decades.

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/33-bizarre-wine-flavors/

Yes it is wine, not beer. I thought the article was worth sharing.

Cheers!

So you were in Williamsburg?

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post

I could've put you on many fine craft beers around here, had I known. I actually have some New Glarus product on hand plus we've many fine breweries in the area. This is, of course, if you were at the GWL I'm familiar with, about 40 minutes from my abode. Hope y'all had fun!!

New Glarus=yummy!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I could've put you on many fine craft beers around here, had I known. I actually have some New Glarus product on hand plus we've many fine breweries in the area. This is, of course, if you were at the GWL I'm familiar with, about 40 minutes from my abode. Hope y'all had fun!!

New Glarus=yummy!!
    Looks like there are 17 GWL locations:

https://www.greatwolf.com/#

July/August musings from the Boys of Summer:

Belgian Strong Dark (draft)-pFriem Family Brewers

Drink indigenously!

Why not sample before you buy? The beertender was kind enough to pull a 2 ounce sample before completing my take-away purchase.

He managed to put a one inch, tan head on the small pour . Dark brown color with alluring aromas of dark fruits, toffee and dark rum. Tastes of milk chocolate dipped cherries, raisins, dates and figs with a warming, rummy (not added or aged) finish. Not labeled a quad but that's what it most resembled. IBUs at 38 and ABV was 10%. Glad I only had a taste but, if forced, I'd have another 8 ounces for $6. Pairing? A 12 ounce snifter would be fine.
    Pfriem Belgian style dark ale

10% ABV

Poured a bit murkier than the Brueprint.

Either I have gone nose blind, or the Pfriem has no smell whatsoever. Maybe a mild hint of raisins and brown sugar.

Bubblier on the tongue, and thicker mouthfeel than the Brueprint. An almost smoky finish.

Wish I had done this side by side instead of back to back.

Technically the Pfriem may be the better beer, the Brueprint is a bit more enjoyable (fun?).

An excellent drop!
    Thank you, devildeac!
    From tonight:

Belgian Style Dark Ale (bottled on 2/12/18)-pFriem Family Brewers

For <$7, tax and Oregon bottle deposit included, you get a 375 ml corked and caged kinda sexy bottle filled with a cloudy, medium to dark brown ale with a tan, foamy, Belgian lacy head that lingered for the entire length of my 30 minute sipping from my oversized Ommegang tulip. Fuse is right, there's not a huge aromatic presence here but raisins and brown sugar are good descriptors. Tastes are toffee, milk chocolate dipped figs, dates and raisins with some mild earthy and herbal bitterness. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess 30 and the ABV of 10% is very deceptive and dangerous. I guess the closest category this fits is a quadruple and a very good one. I ponder what fuse's impressions might have been had he had this 10% ABV ale before the 14% Brüeprint quad. Very happy to have smuggled this back from Oregon this July and cellared it for another 3 months.

Quick post for the 3 new beers I had last week before diving back into Europe:

DeFallt - Taxman Brewing Company - Biere de Garde - 7% ABV - I assume everyone is familiar with the scent of a fall candle? Well, take that scent and put it in a can. That's what this beer is. I mean that in a good way too. Has an oak smell to it, a little cinnamon flavor. Delightful beverage.

Kill The Lights - The Tap Brewery - Russian Imperial Stout - 9.2% ABV - A GABF bronze medalist. Malty and roasty would be the easiest way to describe it. Perhaps some small hints of vanilla.

Tripel Carmel-ite - Flix Brewhouse - Belgian Tripel - Flix Brewhouse - Another GABF medalist. Clever name play. Slightly sweet to drink. Believe the flavor was caramel.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Quick post for the 3 new beers I had last week before diving back into Europe:

DeFallt - Taxman Brewing Company - Biere de Garde - 7% ABV - I assume everyone is familiar with the scent of a fall candle? Well, take that scent and put it in a can. That's what this beer is. I mean that in a good way too. Has an oak smell to it, a little cinnamon flavor. Delightful beverage.

Kill The Lights - The Tap Brewery - Russian Imperial Stout - 9.2% ABV - A GABF bronze medalist. Malty and roasty would be the easiest way to describe it. Perhaps some small hints of vanilla.

Tripel Carmel-ite - Flix Brewhouse - Belgian Tripel - Flix Brewhouse - Another GABF medalist. Clever name play. Slightly sweet to drink. Believe the flavor was caramel.

Clever name for #1. Do they also make a beer called Default as part of their tax-related beer names/themes? However, I thought everything "fall" in the brewing world had to smell/taste like pumpkins .

Another clever name for #3, riffing on: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656/

Time for a quick post about the beers I had in Prague. Side note - I incurred some food poisoning my last night in Dubrovnik that lingered for a weekish, so my view on everything afterwards was a little soured. Looking back, I took absolutely 0 notes to accompany the beers.

Branik Sveltly - Pivovary Staropramen - Pilsner - 4.1% ABV

Staroprament Premium - Pivovary Staropramen - Pilsner - 5% ABV

Wet Hop Specialni svetle 13% - Pivovar Matuska - Lager - 5.5% - I remember this one pouring with a large head, which I found odd for a lager.

Sadek 11° - Pivnice U Sadu - Pilsner

Gambrinus Original 10 - Plzensky Prazdroj - 4.3% ABV - Pilsner - I had this in the airport before I left and would not recommend it to anyone.

Apologies for the lack of notes, but Prague was a rough couple of days. Better enjoy pilsners if you make the visit

Another clever name for #3, riffing on: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656/
    One of my favorites

Clever name for #1. Do they also make a beer called Default as part of their tax-related beer names/themes? However, I thought everything "fall" in the brewing world had to smell/taste like pumpkins .
    Just did a quick search of their beer history and couldn't find one. I thought they did though

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Just did a quick search of their beer history and couldn't find one. I thought they did though
    Beeradvocate appears to list every beer they've ever brewed and the only one by that name is the current one. Shows how much I know .

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32480/

Made a trip to Metazoa last night for a taster. Lovely brewery.

Meadowlark - Saison - 6.2% ABV - Enjoyable saison. Light with some slight fruit flavors. A bit of wheat that stays in the mouth at the end.

Crouching Tiger - Session Saison - 3.4% ABV - This is the first session saison I can say I've ever had. Not sure I've seen one before. Some spices are present.

Rut Roh Ale - Amber Ale - 6.3% ABV - Traditional amber ale. Some hints of oak/toasty flavor.

Mittermeier - Witbier - 5.8% ABV - It was nice to finally have a delicious witbier after a series of mediocre ones in Europe. Tastes exactly how you would expect a witbier to taste. Orange, creamy, heavenly.

Mashing Pumpkins - Pumpkin Beer - 5.2% ABV - Finally broke down and got my first pumpkin beer of the season. Happy I did, because this wasn't a traditional pumpkin ale. Malt, nutmeg, and vanilla. Wonderful concoction.