Page 1064 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 64564964101410541062106310641065106610741114116415642064 ... LastLast
Results 21,261 to 21,280 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

My waste services provider announced that they were no longer accepting glass among their recyclables. What is one to do?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My waste services provider announced that they were no longer accepting glass among their recyclables. What is one to do?
    Cans and re-use your own 32 oz growlers for draft!

Your waste management provider may be Tony Soprano. No glass? Maybe broken glass cutting their employees?

I empathize. Apparently ours won’t get out of the truck if you have more than what fits in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You are talking about retail pricing, which because of the three tier system may have little or no correlation to brewer profit.

This is why the barrel limit before you have to sell through a wholesaler matters to breweries.

With totally made up mythical numbers, kept small to keep it simple.

Three numbers per barrel:
    Cost to brewer to make
    Cost brewer sells to wholesaler
    Retail

Pale Ale $50 | $75 | $80
    DIPA $75 | $95 | $100
    BBA Stout $125 | $130 | $150

If you look above, the margin is higher on a simpler beer (less malt, less hops, less cost).

In reality, I have no concrete detail.
    My understanding is the brewery has to control cost in order to maintain the margin against what a wholesaler will pay. Retail is a whole other ballgame based on how much business you do with a wholesaler.

I guess said more simply, just because a beer is more expensive doesn’t mean its more profitable for the brewery.
    All good points. Made me think some more about it.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

One word:

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Cans
    But will the beverages taste the same?

No.

The beer in cans will taste better.

Light and oxygen can get into bottles and make good beer smell and taste worse, and quickly. It can happen even before you bring it home.

People psychologically like the feel of a beer bottle in their hand and lips. But pouring the beer from a can into a glass, letting it warm just a little, and then keeping it out of the sunlight will help the beer stay fresh and taste better:

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/skunked_beer.html

https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/beer-storage-myths

Fuse and Devildeac can no doubt provide much better insight into this than me. I'm still learning!

Yes. In fact, in the last few years, brewers have made a massive change-over to cans without appreciable change in tastes, or perhaps even better as RJ199 discussed. In fact, cans allow less air in the package, are lighter, allow no light to reach the product, don't "break," are quicker to chill and (apparently) are more "recyclable."

I don't have the knowledge to comment on "boxed" wines and/or spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yes. In fact, in the last few years, brewers have made a massive change-over to cans without appreciable change in tastes. In fact, cans allow less air in the package, are lighter, allow no light to reach the product, don't "break" are quicker to chill and (apparently) are more "recyclable."

I don't have the knowledge to comment on "boxed" wines and/or spirits.
    I was quite the hit after the '92 Engineering Student-Faculty Christmas mixer. There was boxed wine which I took it upon myself to bring with me and share with everyone at the West campus cafeteria.

I was quite the hit after the '92 Engineering Student-Faculty Christmas mixer. There was boxed wine which I took it upon myself to bring with me and share with everyone at the West campus cafeteria.
    Never a Dull Moment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_...Stewart_album)

If Ymo keeps posting on Ymm, Beer, he may have more posts here than mattman soon...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If Ymo keeps posting on Ymm, Beer, he may have more posts here than mattman soon...

Not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Not a chance
    I'm only 1,290 posts behind.

Headed to Wicked Weed's Candler location soon. Maybe this is just the $50 gift card talking, but I don't think I really care whether breweries "sell out" to conglomerates. If the quality stays the same, why should I, as the consumer, give a damn?

I understand the concept of "buying local", but large companies (such as InBev) employee a ton of people.

Headed to Wicked Weed's Candler location soon. Maybe this is just the $50 gift card talking, but I don't think I really care whether breweries "sell out" to conglomerates. If the quality stays the same, why should I, as the consumer, give a damn?

I understand the concept of "buying local", but large companies (such as InBev) employee a ton of people.
    This is not something objectively provable, but I’m not convinced that the quality stays the same.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I think it's more to do with what happens to the money made. There wr3 lots of studies showing that locally owned businesses reinvest back into the community at a significantly higher rate.

Having said that, quality trumps all, and I just don't care for their beers. Certainly not worth standing in line for, IMHO.

I don’t think there is a one size fits all right answer.

I won’t not buy big beer. That said, given the option, I am buying local NC beer as my preference.

There are some provable detestable practices, like AB buying a South African brewery to get exclusive access to a particular hop, and then refusing to sell it outside their conglomerate.

If all big beer buying craft beer did was increase production and availability, there really would be no room for complaint.

When you can read about Bass beer drinkers stopping buying Bass after it was brewed in NY because it didn’t taste the same, that’s what raises my eyebrows.

Again, no single one size fits all right answer. A complex issue with loads of shades of grey.

I suspect you would get a ton of different opinions in your own backyard about Wicked Weed from current and former employees.

Enjoy! I thought the Pernicious lost something after they went to InBev.

But I've continued to get some Wicked Weed beers that I love. I love their Freak of Nature IPA, their Black Angel, and their Funkatorium has made some sour gems. I love supporting local breweries as long as they make great beer. But if somebody else is also making great beer, I'm going to buy it and drink it too. But like fuse says, to each his/her own. I get it and don't judge others who see it completely differently from me. I hope you find some great beers to try!

I think I've had two WW beers since InBev; one I bought for 35% off when Sam's was selling off their inventory before they closed in January and the other was gifted to me last year. There are too many other quality local and regional brews who still carry the upside down Independent Craft Brewers Association logo to support without delving into more InBev stuff. That being said and for transparency purposes, I'll admit I've bought a number of Ballast Point, Founders and Lagunitas creations, both packaged and drafts at their breweries in Chicago and Grand Rapids since they were acquired by "big beer." I'd also include Terrapin and Funky Buddha on my "impure" list, too. I'll guess that still only amounts to about 5% of my total beer $$, so I'm doing reasonably well, I think. (that %age will increase a bit when RJ199 trades a couple or three of his WW favorites in a couple weeks )

While this might be a Septemberfest spoiler, cracked open my first Octoberfest of the year.

Smells like malted barley, looks like grade B maple syrup in the glass.

Gloriously unbalanced and malty.
    Chewy mouthfeel reminiscent of caramel, and just enough hops to lightly tickle your tongue at the end.

Has me pondering, is there a better style suited to year round consumption than Marzen/Octoberfest?

It’s heavy enough to provide some comfort in winter months while also being a beer you could drink in the summer heat.