Page 1054 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 54554954100410441052105310541055105610641104115415542054 ... LastLast
Results 21,061 to 21,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From 8/23 and 8/25 last year:

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I am impressed as a first time visitor with both the space and the beer.

I was SUPER excited to try Hubris, a gold GABF winner that apparently never gets very far from the taproom.

I think I’ve had a very small number of LBC beers, the most memorable being the Hop on Top IPA.

Hubris was a clear pour with a great nose and the absolute awesome balance of in your face hops.

Likely influenced my palate on the subsequent tastings.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've got more Hubris than fuse :

Hubris (draft)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

I ordered this based on fuse's visit there, his notification/suggestion it was on draft and he liked it and remotely hearing about this beer in years past and this week. Plus, this was a secret treat from his company (), I guess as their afternoon beer consultant . Thanks!!

Pour into a lovely LBC snifter (13 ounces for $7) was clean and golden-yellow with a small, creamy head. Seductive aromas of tropical, citrus and stone fruits. Mouthfeel was oily and fresh, guessing this beer was released this week. Tastes were quite complex and included pineapple, grapefruit, peaches and nectarines, light caramel/honey sweetness and a hint of resin/oil. IBUs on the fact sheet at the bar stated 70 but, as fuse comments above, incredibly balanced with the ABV of 8.7%. Totally a sipper, this one lasting about an hour and ultimately, felt more boozy than the stated ABV. Good enough to inquire about packaging and then splurging and buying a 4 pack of pint cans for $22 + tax, so rather spendy (compared to Outta This Galaxy from Trophy and Barrel Aged Mezcal Exemption from Taxman at $18/4 pack of pint cans.

This was an amazing gem of a IIPA and I consider myself very fortunate to have tasted on draft and walk away with a 4 pack, as apparently it sells out fast and rarely makes it outside of Raleigh. This will most certainly go on my August beer calendar for years to come.
    It's August again .

Hubris (draft)-Lynnwood brewing Concern

Release party was 8/17 and we already had plans to go(se) to the NC mountains so I was delighted to find this at the brewery today on a 2 block "detour" on the way home from work. Bartender said he was aware of no cans for sale so I got my snifter and made my way to their warehouse dock/porch. Two minutes later he came back with bad news/good news. He apologized for "lying" (bad news) that they had no cans but did call the brewmaster who directed him to the pallet in their storage area where he found many cases of it covered up and was instructed to start loadingthe cooler and he'd have a 4 pack ready for me after I finished my snifter (good news and more good news). I also got to chat with the brewmaster when he arrived for work as I completed my purchase and complimented him on the 2018 and 2019 versions. Snifter and 4 pack were the same price last year and today.

I'm not sure much has changed except the IBUs are down a bit at 50 along with the ABV at 8.4% which, considering its appearance, tastes and advanced metrics, *almost* places this in the NEIPA category. Hops include Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic and the tastes are explosions of citrus, tropical and stone fruits/juices with a pleasant rind-y bitterness. Worth the journey. Easily among the best IIPAs in the state and definitely a fuse Cat 3 again this year.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 2 trustworthy palates:

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Definitely let me know what you think of the consult fees, including the bright [wanker] tank top.

Without further ado, my next review:

The Veil Brewing Company: Never Never Found Found - Sour Fruited Gose - 5.1% ABV

Well,
    Untapped is wrong on this one.
    This beer is underrated - and much better than a 3.95.

It's double red papaya and double mango. It's just the type of beer that will show you why The Veil is so highly rated. Again I've never tasted a beer like this. It's so juicy and freshly squeezed. And this one is perfectly balanced with a gentle, sour gose finish. The papaya and mango, cut to sour with light salt on the finish are so intense it almost tastes like a bloody mary, but better. There is no tomato. Just great, intense (in a good way) papaya. It's almost the color of carrot juice. It's heavy and juicy, almost like mango/papaya puree cut perfectly with light gose sour tart finish. It's a refreshing summer beer that goes down quickly. It's a wow beer. Wow.
    I'll rate it 4.5
    Gose Day Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub - 8.17.2019

Never Never Found Found

Double mango and Double red papaya gose

Pours thick and opaque, almost like a papaya coloured milkshake.
    No head.

Can’t really describe the smell, if there is one.

A bit like alcoholic papaya juice. Really thick.
    Super sediment-y.

I’m guessing my palate is a bit shot at this point.
    I don’t think this is a bad beer, I don’t trust what I am tasting.

Glad devildeac brought me one of these.
    Never Never Found Found-The Veil Brewing Company

06/25/19
    03:42:48

With the bolded above, I wonder if fuse got a bad can from the 4 pack I distributed as my pour tonight had a thick, frothy, pale orange head with aromas and flavors closer to RJ199's than what fuse reported. This concoction coated my pint glass like V-8 juice would. The thick, heavy and sediment-y comments are also directly on target but surprisingly, there is no chunk/funk at the bottom of my pint glass as I desperately try to slurp up the last few drops of this gose. I'll guess IBUs of 5-10 with the ABV at 5.1% on the almost microscopic print on the label, as fuse referred to on other Veil beers. Solid fuse Cat 2 which I'd taste again or be very, very willing to try others from their "Never" series of goses.

From 2 trustworthy palates:

Never Never Found Found-The Veil Brewing Company

06/25/19
    03:42:48

With the bolded above, I wonder if fuse got a bad can from the 4 pack I distributed as my pour tonight had a thick, frothy, pale orange head with aromas and flavors closer to RJ199's than what fuse reported. This concoction coated my pint glass like V-8 juice would. The thick, heavy and sediment-y comments are also directly on target but surprisingly, there is no chunk/funk at the bottom of my pint glass as I desperately try to slurp up the last few drops of this gose. I'll guess IBUs of 5-10 with the ABV at 5.1% on the almost microscopic print on the label, as fuse referred to on other Veil beers. Solid fuse Cat 2 which I'd taste again or be very, very willing to try others from their "Never" series of goses.
    Fifteen of them by my count from this list:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/16/

From 8/23 and 8/25 last year:

It's August again .

Hubris (draft)-Lynnwood brewing Concern

Release party was 8/17 and we already had plans to go(se) to the NC mountains so I was delighted to find this at the brewery today on a 2 block "detour" on the way home from work. Bartender said he was aware of no cans for sale so I got my snifter and made my way to their warehouse dock/porch. Two minutes later he came back with bad news/good news. He apologized for "lying" (bad news) that they had no cans but did call the brewmaster who directed him to the pallet in their storage area where he found many cases of it covered up and was instructed to start loadingthe cooler and he'd have a 4 pack ready for me after I finished my snifter (good news and more good news). I also got to chat with the brewmaster when he arrived for work as I completed my purchase and complimented him on the 2018 and 2019 versions. Snifter and 4 pack were the same price last year and today.

I'm not sure much has changed except the IBUs are down a bit at 50 along with the ABV at 8.4% which, considering its appearance, tastes and advanced metrics, *almost* places this in the NEIPA category. Hops include Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic and the tastes are explosions of citrus, tropical and stone fruits/juices with a pleasant rind-y bitterness. Worth the journey. Easily among the best IIPAs in the state and definitely a fuse Cat 3 again this year.
    My 4 pack of cans of cans bought yesterday is stamped "packaged on 08/21/19." I'm not sure I've ever bought a beer that soon after packaging. Can't get much fresher than that except drinking it as they dispense it .

https://oct.co/essays/regular-beer

What’s old is new again.
    Some thoughts on craft lager/pilsner, “regular” beer.

Anyone doing the point 262 tomorrow at Fullsteam?

https://point262.com/

https://oct.co/essays/regular-beer

What’s old is new again.
    Some thoughts on craft lager/pilsner, “regular” beer.
    Now that there is amusing stuff.

Anyone doing the point 262 tomorrow at Fullsteam?

https://point262.com/
    My favorite distance to run .

Too bad I'm on-call for the weekend .

Boulevard BBA Quad

From a 4-pack of 12-ounce bottled purchased at Whole Foods. A nice brown’ish/mahogany hue. Off-white, almost tan head. Good depth of flavor from the barrel aging. Notes of caramel and some wood. Really sippable for 11.2% ABV. Well done by KC’s most well-known brewery. Solid Cat 2.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Briney Melon is almost the perfect summer beer.

Another super summer beer is DFH Festina Peche, if they still make it.
    Because school starts Monday around here, I figured I’d better get the “perfect summer beer” before summer ends. Briney Melon is, indeed, terrific. I’m not a watermelon fan particularly, but they don’t overdo it in this beer. Nice & salty, too. One of my favorite goses (although a notch below the key lime ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    From a 4-pack of 12-ounce bottled purchased at Whole Foods. A nice brown’ish/mahogany hue. Off-white, almost tan head. Good depth of flavor from the barrel aging. Notes of caramel and some wood. Really sippable for 11.2% ABV. Well done by KC’s most well-known brewery. Solid Cat 2.
    Grocery store beer ?

(lol)

One of my all-time favorites.

Grocery store beer ?

(lol)

One of my all-time favorites.
    Amazon-owned hipster grocery store beer ....

I’m beginning to sense a disturbance in the Force...🙄🤔🤣

The philosophy of beer-hunting:

"Always fun spending other people's money on beer."

Accfanfrom1970
    August 24, 2019
    private communication

(24.gif24.gif)

0.0% ABV for me this weekend.

Wearing a lovely oversized Zillacoah Brewing hoodie outside on a cool evening. Bought it half price several months ago. Super comfy. Heavy on the malt, but I am digging it.

Pitchers of Hoppyum + bowling (yes, actual bowling) = terrific combo

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Pitchers of Hoppyum + bowling (yes, actual bowling) = terrific combo
    Hoppyum vs. Jade. Who you got?

Hazy & Juicy & Hoppy & Fresh with Cashmere - Hi-Wire Brewing - Double Dry Hopped - NE IPA - 7.5 % ABV

Clearish Yellow for a hazy IPA with nice pinky-width head that lingers. The beer has a smooth, thin mouthfeel. The flavors are juicy cantaloupe melon with a hint of coconut. This is not a hoppy beer. It finishes with a subdued, dank, but soft bitter flavor. Nothing to write home about.

This is a solid beer, and definitely not a bad beer. But I don't think it's that great and I've had better. So I'll rate it Fuse Category 1. Ymm Beer has high standards! I wish I'd found the Mosaic & Citra or one of the others. There are evidently several great beers in this series - I just think I didn't get the right one.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 08-24-2019 at 11:19 PM.

From 8/16/18:

Hazy&Juicy&Hoppy&Fresh (draft)-HiWire Brewing

Drink nearby!

Eight ounce draft as I waited for a business meeting with one of the cardiology device reps for pizza and beer tonight. He was late. His loss .

Pour was a mildly hazy, orange-yellow with a small head. It's a NE IPA so the scents of tropical fruit juices were not unexpected and pretty "fresh." There was not a dominant taste but a mélange of juices including pineapple, mango, papaya and grapefruit. Bitterness fairly mild with IBUs of 38 and the ABV was 7.5% which is upper normal for the style. Not sure I'd call it #7 on a list of 324 IPAs, but, I didn't sample the other 323 either . Available in pint cans and I'd consider a 4 pack, drinking 1 or 2 myself and trading the others.

Attachment 8575
    Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Hazy & Juicy & Hoppy & Fresh with Cashmere - Hi-Wire Brewing - Double Dry Hopped - NE IPA - 7.5 % ABV

Clearish Yellow for a hazy IPA with nice pinky-width head that lingers. The beer has a smooth, thin mouthfeel. The flavors are juicy cantaloupe melon with a hint of coconut. This is not a hoppy beer. It finishes with a subdued, dank, but soft bitter flavor. Nothing to write home about.

This is a solid beer, and definitely not a bad beer. But I don't think it's that great and I've had better. So I'll rate it Fuse Category 1. Ymm Beer has high standards! I wish I'd found the Mosaic & Citra or one of the others. There are evidently several great beers in this series - I just think I didn't get the right one.
    I wasn't sure I'd ever had one of these before. Sounds like I liked it a bit better than you, but, you're right, trying it with a different hop variety would be interesting.