Page 1119 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1196191019106911091117111811191120112111291169121916192119 ... LastLast
Results 22,361 to 22,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    From Last Night -
    Octoberfest - Great Lakes Brewing - 6.5 %

Good Octoberfest. At first I thought it tasted just like a Heineken. Fuse Category 2. Thanks!
    Pretty similar to what I thought except the Heineken part. Beeradvocate has it at #3 overall among the Marzen/Oktoberfest style. I could see top 30 but not top 10.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    MEB Fig & Raisin;
    Couple four-baggers of NoDa brews; and
    Reserved Parking
    Hmm, I thought MEB has discontinued Fig and Raisin. We had that about 6 years ago at our "no beer under 9% tailgate." Ask August West about that one .

DFH 120-Minute IPA

I had let this last 12-ounce bottle lay down for about a year. That seemed to mellow it out from a five-alarm fire to a four-alarm one. More roundness and, actually, caramel flavors than I had remembered. Still a really big beer, but a bit more sessionable with the aging. Cat 3, and I wish I had a couple more to age for a couple more years.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

DFH 120-Minute IPA

I had let this last 12-ounce bottle lay down for about a year. That seemed to mellow it out from a five-alarm fire to a four-alarm one. More roundness and, actually, caramel flavors than I had remembered. Still a really big beer, but a bit more sessionable with the aging. Cat 3, and I wish I had a couple more to age for a couple more years.
    I can help...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can help...
    Hope you can <ahem> “spare” a couple.

Fullsteam brews good beer. More in the AM.
    I told you that every Monday this summer...😜

NoDa Hot Pistol Stout

Getting an early start on next Saturday’s Virtual Pub. I picked this up at Stella yesterday (16-ounce can). Controversial, as it is brewed with chocolate, raspberries, and (wait for it) habanero peppers. The raspberry and heat play well with one another, though. Reminds me a bit of Mexican coffee, kind of like Stone’s Xocoveza. I liked it a lot, although I think I like spicy more than most here. Very high Cat 2 for me.

Hope you can <ahem> “spare” a couple.
    Done. Ymm, Beer "strikes" again.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I told you that every Monday this summer...😜
    Yep, more positive reinforcement.

Getting an early start on next Saturday’s Virtual Pub. I picked this up at Stella yesterday (16-ounce can). Controversial, as it is brewed with chocolate, raspberries, and (wait for it) habanero peppers. The raspberry and heat play well with one another, though. Reminds me a bit of Mexican coffee, kind of like Stone’s Xocoveza. I liked it a lot, although I think I like spicy more than most here. Very high Cat 2 for me.
    Ha! I'm on call next Saturday for the Virtual Pub but I'll be accumulating material Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week for, umm, early publication, or perhaps delayed publication via copy/paste, aka crazietalk.net.

From Fullsteam last PM:

Full Stem-Fullsteam Brewery in collaboration with Stem Cider in Denver, CO

Drink local! Nice name .

Credit-my VISA card
    Style-a graf (I linked this somewhere upthread yesterday) which is a beer/cider hybrid
    Format-5 ounce sample
    Appearance-crystal clear; yellowish light amberish; no head
    Nose-grapefruit infused cider
    Mouthfeel-bubbly with a hint of bitter
    Tastes-light grapefruit (see hops below); strong, tart apples; slight pucker
    IBU-maybe 20
    IBU-6%
    Grains-Locally malted wheat, Locally malted barley (Munich), Flaked wheat, Two-row brewer's malt, Locally malted Appalachian wheat
    Hops-Mosaic, Citra, Magnum
    Adjuncts-Local apple juice
    Overall impression-totally new "hybrid" to me; very well done, especially given I'm not a big cider fan
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 2, high tier; maybe a beverage for those who like ciders but not beers; would certainly order again

Farm's Edge: Fox Knob-Fullsteam Brewery

Lots of local!

Credit-another hit on my VISA card
    Format-5 ounce sample
    Style-rum barrel aged wild black saison
    (can I stop the review now? )
    Appearance-almost onyx; no head
    Nose-dark fruit; wet hay/barnyard funk; dark rum
    Mouthfeel-mild to moderately tart/sour
    Tastes-match the nose; sour cherries?; molasses; earthy
    Hops-Crystal
    Yeast-Lochristi Brettanomyces Blend, Belgian Wit Ale (scratches head )
    Grains-Local sorghum, Locally malted barley (Foundation), Midnight Wheat, Two-row brewer's malt, Locally malted Appalachian wheat
    Adjuncts-Local natural fig concentrate, Sinamar, Locally foraged figs, Tennessee sorghum syrup, Mixed culture
    IBU-10ish
    ABV-7%
    Overall impression-extremely well done concoction, reminding me of Lagunitas' Dark Swan and Aunt Sally w/Black Currants I had this summer at the brewery
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 3; worth a trip to Fullsteam as it's a brewery only beverage

At New River and it’s great! I prefer the Scotch Ale. Wish I didn’t have to drive to Greensboro. Pigs Fly lady is cooking here now. The stout is great. Too many choices. I’ll have to return. Thank you for telling me about it.

NoDa Gordgeous

The other beer I purchased at Stella. Absolutely terrific. Maybe my favorite pumpkin ale. Utterly mouthwatering, and the spices are to die for. Easy Cat 3.

Dead & Berried 2019 - Foothills - 10.5 % ABV

The pour is jet black with a thin, tan film. This beer is very complex and amazing. I've never had an imperial stout like it. It's bourbon barrel-aged forward with oak, and a dark chocolate base along with molasses & malt running through. But the lightly tart blackberry pops out, and compliments everything so perfectly that it tastes like a dark-chocolate covered blackberry out of a Valentine's candy box. Beergoddess liked it too. Her review is that it tasted similar to the dark-chocolate cherry ganache pie I won if that pie was a beer. But this beer is balanced, not sweet IMO. There are other dark fruit notes and some light vanilla. The mouthfeel is full and viscous, but more lightly carbonated which works here to let you taste everything going on. The finish lasts a while and still has that dark-chocolate, very slight good coffee, and barrel flavor. Your mouth is still happy and smiling 30 minutes after finishing. If you like a good BBA imperial stout, dark chocolate, and blackberries, you will love this beer. Foothills just killed it with this one.

Thanks to Tripping William! Strong Fuse Category 3 for me. The dark chocolate covered blackberries in an outstanding and complex perfectly balanced BBA stout. (I haven't tried the earlier versions.) I was drinking this with the football game on the radio. Maybe that's why I wasn't as upset about the game as everybody else.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 11-09-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    At New River and it’s great! I prefer the Scotch Ale. Wish I didn’t have to drive to Greensboro. Pigs Fly lady is cooking here now. The stout is great. Too many choices. I’ll have to return. Thank you for telling me about it.
    Glad we could help with your beer and dining. Hope y'all had a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Dead & Berried 2019 - Foothills - 10.5 % ABV

The pour is jet black with a thin, tan film. This beer is very complex and amazing. I've never had an imperial stout like it. It's bourbon barrel-aged forward with oak, and a dark chocolate base along with molasses & malt running through. But the lightly tart blackberry pops out, and compliments everything so perfectly that it tastes like a dark-chocolate covered blackberry out of a Valentine's candy box. Beergoddess liked it too. Her review is that it tasted similar to the dark-chocolate cherry ganache pie I won if that pie was a beer. But this beer is balanced, not sweet IMO. There are other dark fruit notes and some light vanilla. The mouthfeel is full and viscous, but more lightly carbonated which works here to let you taste everything going on. The finish lasts a while and still has that dark-chocolate, very slight good coffee, and barrel flavor. Your mouth is still happy and smiling 30 minutes after finishing. If you like a good BBA imperial stout, dark chocolate, and blackberries, you will love this beer. Foothills just killed it with this one.

Thanks to Tripping William! Strong Fuse Category 3 for me. The dark chocolate covered blackberries in an outstanding and complex perfectly balanced BBA stout. (I haven't tried the earlier versions.) I was drinking this with the football game on the radio. Maybe that's why I wasn't as upset about the game as everybody else.
    August West brought a bomber of this to tailgate today but we never opened it. Too many other delicious choices.

Dan posted upthread that he'd be attending and would bring a beer from The Answer and from Veil. OMG, he brought a bottomless shopping bag full of beers, too many to name at this time, and then went to another tailgate. I'll review and credit those to his account over the next couple weeks.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

The beer, company and food at tailgate today were outstanding. The football after the tailgate was _ _ _ _.

August West brought a bomber of this to tailgate today but we never opened it. Too many other delicious choices.
    Delicious choices is right. You had lots of Veil and Founders CBS.

Staying with the blackberry theme, next beer was:

Medora - Wicked Weed - 6.6 %

Beautiful pour - ruby pink with thin white head that fades fast. Strong, funky nose - Brett & oak is all I get.

Beeradvocate says this is world-class, but I disagree. And it kills me, because I want to love Wicked Weed and I don't care about InBev. It's a decent sour, but I've had much better. The blackberry here isn't on the same level as the blackberry in the Foothills. The sour isn't on the same level as offerings from New Glarus, Allagash, Bhavana, or Oxbow. I've had better from Wicked Weed too - their Black Angel, Ferme de Chien (cherry), and Garcon de Ferme (Peach) were all better.

And this is a good, Fuse Category 2 sour wild ale. There's lactic acid, vinegar, subtle red wine notes, some mouth-puckering sour, and it's flavored like a raspberry-blackberry soda pop from the convenience store. Whereas the foothills tasted like good dark chocolate covering a ripe blackberry that teased you and popped out when it wanted while other dark BBA stout flavors were enticing you. Maybe it's not fair to compare a stout to a sour, but I just mean even the blackberry flavor was on a different level with the Foothills. I might be being unfair after recently tasting what New Glarus did with fruits in a sour. The finish here is dry and very tart, but meh. Thin feel with lots of carbonation.

Years ago this was probably the shiznit, but what I'm hearing from beer enthusiasts who visit Asheville is that breweries like Burial are evolving while Wicked Weed is not. And Wicked Weed is trying to just do the exact same thing with the same beers.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 11-10-2019 at 01:28 AM.