Page 1149 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 149649104910991139114711481149115011511159119912491649 ... LastLast
Results 22,961 to 22,980 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Shiner Ruby Redbird
    Sierra Nevada Octoberfest 2019
    New Belgium Mural Agua Fresca
    Allagash River Trip
    Shiner Ruby Redbird
    Bell's Official Hazy IPA
    Rodenbach Classic (bottle, not can)
    Allagash River Trip (thanks!)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shiner Ruby Redbird
    Bell's Official Hazy IPA
    Rodenbach Classic (bottle, not can)
    Allagash River Trip (thanks!)
    I didn’t count the Rodenbach because the article made a big deal out of being canned. Intriguing for sure.

It is with great honor That I announce the virtual pub is open for business.

Your honour, I’d like it noted for the record this isn’t nearly enough information.
    Looking forward to the Sunday write up.
    I’ll start off at the top. Opened the 2018 Hardywood Double Barrel GBS. The 2017 double barrel was bourbon and rum, and it was great. So when this came out and I saw it was bourbon and brandy, I was disappointed. Not any more.

Spiced stout. 14.8%, 55 ibu’s. 750 ml. I’m getting better at letting it sit and warm a bit. They do the bourbon barrel first, then transfer it to the brandy barrels. You get the bourbon up front, bit of oak and ginger and caramel. Then on the finish it turned to a delightful warm cinnamon. Very smooth, warming. Like drinking a nice warm bourbon toddy and having a Xmas cookie with ginger and cinnamon with it. Truely spectacular. Easy cat 3. Glad I let it sit for a year. Hope the others enjoy theirs as much as I did.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 12-15-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

12/15/19 Virtual Pub Holiday Ales

2019 Foothills Moravian Porter

Now an annual thing, celebrating Dash City’s Moravian heritage. They don’t tell you what’s in it, IIRC, but the intent is to taste a bit like a Moravian cookie. That has tended to lend a bit of harshness to the beer, and this is. I exception (although I think I still have a 2018 and hold out hope that laying it down too some edge off). Still a nice holiday spice beer (and the bomber went down early), and clearly Cat 2, but probably my least favorite of Foorhills’ special release dark beers. Which is saying something.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’ll start off at the top. Opened the 2018 Hardywood Double Barrel GBS. The 2017 double barrel was bourbon and rum, and it was great. So when this came out and I saw it was bourbon and brandy, I was disappointed. Not any more.

Spiced stout. 14.8%, 55 ibu’s. 750 ml. I’m getting better at letting it sit and warm a bit. They do the bourbon barrel first, then transfer it to the brandy barrels. You get the bourbon up front, bit of oak and ginger and caramel. Then on the finish it turn to a delightful warm cinnamon. Very smooth, warming. Like drinking a nice warm bourbon toddy and having a Xmas cookie with ginger and cinnamon with it. Truely spectacular. Easy cat 3. Glad I let it sit for a year. Hope the others enjoy theirs as much as I did.
    Believe I still have one last bottle of this. At least I hope so ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I look forward to popping in for a few pints later this afternoon...🍻

Round 2 - drink local, or nearby anyway. From The Virginia Beer Company, Williamsburg VA. Strolling thru total wine, saw a beer called Evil Santa. Had to try it for the virtual pub. Then I found Double Evil Santa! Same beer but the Double is BBA. 500 ml bottle, spiced imperial milk stout. 11.3%. Guess ibu’s around 50.

Interesting, several beer advocate reviews called it the VA Beer Co.’s answer to Hardywood’s GBS. It is similar, but instead of ginger they added nutmeg, cinnamon and all spice. It pours like the GBS, maybe a bit more foam. There is a sweetness to it, a hint of bourbon, and then I really got the all spice on the finish. And a bit of heat. Really interesting. I want to go back and get another and try it next year to see if it balances out a bit more. Strong cat 2.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post

Spiced stout. 14.8%, 55 ibu’s. 750 ml. I’m getting better at letting it sit and warm a bit. They do the bourbon barrel first, then transfer it to the brandy barrels. You get the bourbon up front, bit of oak and ginger and caramel. Then on the finish it turned to a delightful warm cinnamon. Very smooth, warming. Like drinking a nice warm bourbon toddy and having a Xmas cookie with ginger and cinnamon with it. Truely spectacular. Easy cat 3. Glad I let it sit for a year. Hope the others enjoy theirs as much as I did.
    This is great to read as I checked the remainder of my 2018 GBS Complete Set and this is one of three that remains. It will make a wonderful holiday beverage to share as the family arrives and departs over the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Thank you for hosting. I'm on call this weekend and can't participate "live" but I appreciate the opportunity you provided earlier in the week for me to sneak in and have some samples Tuesday through Thursday. More to follow.

From Tuesday night's Virtual Pub preview:

150px-Benedict_of_Nursia.jpg

Wait, who dat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_of_Nursia

Yea, what's he got to do with Christmas/holiday ales?

"Benedict's main achievement, his "Rule of Saint Benedict", contains a set of rules for his monks to follow. Heavily influenced by the writings of John Cassian, it shows strong affinity with the Rule of the Master, but it also has a unique spirit of balance, moderation and reasonableness (ἐπιείκεια, epieíkeia), which persuaded most Christian religious communities founded throughout the Middle Ages to adopt it. As a result, his Rule became one of the most influential religious rules in Western Christendom. For this reason, Giuseppe Carletti regarded Benedict as the founder of Western Christian monasticism."

So what?

Well, monks brew beer, correct? St. Benedict was a monk, amirite?? Soooo...

BBA St. Benedict's-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Close to local!

Credit-prior reviews by fuse and Tripping William; my Visa card; thanks to all!
    Format-half pint draft
    Style-flavored Belgian like dubbel
    Appearance-dark brown with a small caramel head
    Nose-dark fruits and bourbon
    Mouthfeel-smooth
    Tastes-up front bourbon, followed by cocoa, coffee and lots of dried, dark fruits
    Adjuncts-chocolate, coffee, oats
    IBU-probably about 30
    ABV-a surprisingly "low" 7.2%; punches well above its weight
    Overall impression-the original is excellent; this variant is superb
    Ymm, Beer rating-middle shelf cat 3; worth seeking out; Bottle Rev had no cans left but if August West found a 4 pack in Durham...

3rd on the holiday list - Winter - from Juneau’s Alaskan Brewery by way of sister in Columbus.

Ale brewed with spruce tips. 6.4% abv. This is a nice clean ale, not heavily spiced, and you get the spruce or pine on the finish. Like most Alaskan Brewery beers this is worth a 6er to have and share. Solid cat 2.

I'm getting in the dadgum Christmas spirit after drinking this Tuesday night:

Javafruitcake-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Darn near local!

Credit-a whim
    Format-half quart can
    Style-flavored milk stout
    Freshness-canned on 11/08/2019; 12:01:03
    Appearance-mahogany; small, tan head
    Nose-is it breakfast/dessert time yet?
    Mouthfeel-mildly viscous
    Tastes-coffee first, then dark/dried fruits, burnt caramel, cinnamon, spices, more coffee, molasses, dark chocolate milk
    Adjuncts-lactose, sweet cherries, brandied raisins, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice, coffee
    IBU-12
    ABV-7.2%
    Overall impression-a boozy slice of fruitcake, washed down with a cup of espresso; even if you don't like fruitcake, you'll probably like this
    Ymm, Beer rating-I can't rate everything from Haw River a cat three () so I'll set this on the top shelf, front row of cat 2; worth the entire 4 pack

Everybody drink one for Wofford !

Pub pre gaming...

Imagine my delight when upon arrival at a friend’s holiday party, the beer selection includes a beer I’ve wanted to try and never pursued.

Orkney Skull Splitter Wee Heavy

More than wee heavy at 8.5% ABV.
    European bottle format saves me 0.8 oz (330ml, 11.2 oz).

No idea on colour or nose, quaffed from the bottle.

Super malty, tasty, and boozy.
    Worth a proper revisit.

Cheers! 🍻

Pub pre gaming...

Imagine my delight when upon arrival at a friend’s holiday party, the beer selection includes a beer I’ve wanted to try and never pursued.

Orkney Skull Splitter Wee Heavy

More than wee heavy at 8.5% ABV.
    European bottle format saves me 0.8 oz (330ml, 11.2 oz).

No idea on colour or nose, quaffed from the bottle.

Super malty, tasty, and boozy.
    Worth a proper revisit.

Cheers! 🍻
    I just checked some archives and I haven't had one of those in over 10 years .

And perhaps a bit later than expected, glad to find the front door of the pub!

Holiday Virtual Pub 12/15

Delirium Noel

I had to start with a proper Belgian beer.

Decidedly maple syrupy amber in colour.

Pretty mild nose, not much going on, maybe a bit biscuit-y.

A liquid Christmas cookie, spicy and sweet.
    A noble hoppy finish, more floral than bitter.

A very Hoppy Holiday season to all! 🍻

And perhaps a bit later than expected, glad to find the front door of the pub!

Holiday Virtual Pub 12/15

Delirium Noel

I had to start with a proper Belgian beer.

Decidedly maple syrupy amber in colour.

Pretty mild nose, not much going on, maybe a bit biscuit-y.

A liquid Christmas cookie, spicy and sweet.
    A noble hoppy finish, more floral than bitter.

A very Hoppy Holiday season to all! 🍻
    I thought about buying this but couldn't find a 4 pack or even a single in the 11.2 ounce size, only the 25.4 ounce large format.

Santa approves of this selection from Wednesday night:

The Mad Elf-Troegs Independent Brewing

Credit-my memories of Christmas past, a good price and a Visa card
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Style-flavored Belgian type strong ale (most likely)
    Appearance-cherry soda with a thin, fizzy head
    Nose-sweet and sour cherries
    Mouthfeel-mild alcohol burn
    Tastes-"light" cherry brandy/liqueur; honey; caramel
    IBU-15
    ABV-11%; it burns a wee bit
    Hops-Saaz; Hallertau
    Yeast-spicy Belgian
    Adjuncts-cherries; honey
    Overall impression-totally worth the $2.50/bottle, or $15 for the 6er
    Ymm, Beer rating-high cat 2; a beer I haven't tasted for about 5 years; will be happy to sip a couple more and trade the rest

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm getting in the dadgum Christmas spirit after drinking this Tuesday night:

Javafruitcake-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Darn near local!

Credit-a whim
    Format-half quart can
    Style-flavored milk stout
    Freshness-canned on 11/08/2019; 12:01:03
    Appearance-mahogany; small, tan head
    Nose-is it breakfast/dessert time yet?
    Mouthfeel-mildly viscous
    Tastes-coffee first, then dark/dried fruits, burnt caramel, cinnamon, spices, more coffee, molasses, dark chocolate milk
    Adjuncts-lactose, sweet cherries, brandied raisins, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice, coffee
    IBU-12
    ABV-7.2%
    Overall impression-a boozy slice of fruitcake, washed down with a cup of espresso; even if you don't like fruitcake, you'll probably like this
    Ymm, Beer rating-I can't rate everything from Haw River a cat three () so I'll set this on the top shelf, front row of cat 2; worth the entire 4 pack
    Wrong holiday but boo!!!! You absolutely can rate everything from Haw River highly (not that you have to...).

Fullsteam did a “Fruitcake...the beer” a few years ago. I don’t like fruitcake, and yet the Fullsteam beer was outstanding. I’d keep an eye out for this beer except the fridge is already overflowing with great beer with GBS 2019 to come.