Page 2106 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 11061606200620562096210421052106210721082116 ... LastLast
Results 42,101 to 42,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The Velvet Walrus On Raspberry-Väsen Brewing Company

From Untappd:

"The final edition of the Velvet Walrus for this winter is a big, rich milk stout made with hundreds of pounds of raspberry. Flavors of dark chocolate and brown sugar complement the strong berry character of this velvety smooth brew."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If only I could've shared/side-by-sided this with the Hardywood BBA Raspberry Stout.

The Velvet Walrus On Raspberry-Väsen Brewing Company

Local for the *other* RVA mule on this exchange

Credit-accfan; thanks!!!!
    Style-BBA flavored imperial (?) milk stout
    Format-pint can
    Stemware-snifter
    Appearance-burgundy brown and foamy
    Nose-a bourbon soaked raspberry truffle
    Mouthfeel-decadent
    Tastes-raspberry puree, semisweet chocolate, bourbon, dark caramel
    Hop-Chinook
    Grains-Maris Otter, chocolate wheat, roasted barley, Caramunich III, Crystal and flaked oats
    Yeast-Norwegian Kviek
    Adjunct-hundreds of pounds of VA raspberries
    IBU-23
    ABV-9.5% (booze candy/cake)
    Overall impression-terrific beverage/nightcap
    Ymm, Beer rating-mid cat 3 but sniffing around the top shelf; high praise if I wanna compare to the Hardywood BBA Raspberry Stout

If only I could've shared/side-by-sided this with the Hardywood BBA Raspberry Stout.
    I should have done that, sorry. Looking forward to RJ’s side-by-side of those two.

West Coast Clever Girl-Triple Crossing

Local for the RVA guys

Credit-Nrrrrvous; thanks!
    Style-^^^^
    Format-pint can
    Stemware-nonic pint
    Appearance-pineapple juice with froth
    Nose-pine, resin and orange
    Mouthfeel-pithy and piney
    Tastes-oranges and rind, pine and resin with a little caramel
    IBU-"no IBU" but I'll claim mid 50s
    ABV-6%
    Overall impression-tired of WC IPAs a couple years ago but this rekindled some fine memories
    Ymm, Beer rating-high cat 2
    I don't remember if I mentioned this or not - apparently this is the West Coast variant of their usual "Clever Girl". I thought I remembered liking this more the first time I had it. I must have had the original.

This one wasn't bad but definitely didn't live up to my memory.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I haven’t seen that one in NC. Only VA.
    Sometimes we save the good stuff for ourselves.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Mamaw's Mean Cobbler (variant of Peach Tripel)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

This was a fun desert Thursday night.
    Mamaw's Mean Cobbler-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

"A delightful variation of our Peach Tripel with vanilla, cinnamon and lactose additions delivering the classic flavors of a southern-style peach cobbler baked fresh in grandma's kitchen."
    The review:

Mamaw's Mean Cobbler-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Local for the delivery guy.

Credit-accfan; thanks!!
    Style-"spiced fruit ale"
    Format-pint can
    Stemware-large tulip
    Appearance-cloudy yellow/orange with a lacey, foamy head
    Nose-"hey grandma, whatcha baking?"
    Mouthfeel-desserty
    Tastes-peach, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar and a hint of orange
    Adjuncts-vanilla, cinnamon, coconut and lactose
    IBU-secret
    ABV-8.2%; truly a booze cobbler
    Overall impression-a delicious finish to the night on Thursday
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; a fun and tasty delight
    I just drank mine (thanks accfan!!) last night. I'm definitely wondering how it would be with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. That's all I kept thinking as I sipped on it.

A delicious dessert beer! I would rank it right about where you did.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    New Glarus Serendipity-

“Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale! “

A little tart, a little sweet, a little sour. Really enjoyed it, another NG to rank. Belgian Red still #1, liked this better than apple and cran-bic. Thanks DD!
    I need to sneak one of these in the fridge here! I've been trying to finish some of the others that I received from RJ and accfan before I put more in! So much good beer, so little time!

two deliciously malty Long Trail Double Bags punctuated yesterday's activities as summer weather finally arrived...I believe DD has sampled these.

You're most welcome. This has been consistently ranked #3 on beeradvocate fruit beers and always behind Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red. Not too shabby.

Which one? Some Hardywood brews make it to Winston-Salem (and Raleigh) and I'm starting to see some Ardent Craft Ales in Raleigh, but, of course, none of the *really* good ones like accfan and Nrrrrvous deliver.
    Any Richmond brew can make it to Winston-Salem if you give us a month's notice!!

klean belgiez-The Veil Brewing Company

From Untappd:

"An 8.5% traditional Belgian Quad with Virginia Wild Flower Honey"
    klean belgiez-The Veil Brewing Company

local for *that* guy

Credit-Nrrrrvous; thanks!!
    Style-Belgian style quad
    Format-pint can
    Stemware-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-muddy and foamy
    Nose-dark, dried fruits
    Mouthfeel-soft
    Tastes-raisins, date, figs, plums, brown sugar/caramel
    Adjuncts-VA wild flower honey
    IBU-"no IBU" but I'll guess 30
    ABV-8.5%
    Overall impression-a well done twist on the style with the addition of local honey
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; very easy to sip and would buy/trade for again
    Mrs. Nrrrrvous doesn't like "Veil" (too many IPAs and Smoothies) but she was sad to see this one was no longer available. I'm pretty sure of the 8 I bought, you got one, I got one and she got the rest!

It was a crazy week last week.

Tuesday night I ended up in Zion Brewpub after an easy walk up the Temple of Sinawava trail.

First, I must say, the food was disappointing this time around. They've completely changed their menu and it was not nearly as good. But, this is not the food thread so...

I tried a new one, their Juicy IPA, no name, just Juicy IPA,

Pretty darned good, I must say. Even in a crowded field it was an easy upper Cat 2.

Then I had my favorite, the Springdale Amber. Just as good as I remember. Nice, upper Cat 2, lower cat 3. If you ever visit, put together a flight but definitely include this one.

If I were to do it over, I would probably get my beer at Zion Brewpub and then have dinner at Oscar's, where they also have a generous tap list.

Zion National Park is still beautiful, everyone should visit at least once!

Last Wednesday, I went to my favorite restaurant in Cedar City, UT.

They only have 4 taps (but a pretty good can/bottle selection) but one of them was a Wasatch Apricot Hef which I enjoyed with my Gorgonzola and Grape salad and my Pollo Bianco Pizza.

Wasatch does some great beers, probably my fave out of Utah. This one did not disappoint. I would definitely recommend. High cat 2?

Last Thursday I ended up at the only brewery in Cedar City, UT. - Policy Kings

I asked the bartender for the best of the 8 or so they had on tap and he brought me a Lavender-Honey Hefeweizen. He put a slice of lemon on the glass, which worried me a bit. It wasn't bad but something, maybe the Lavender, left a not great aftertaste. I then went back for their IPA and it was much better.
    I'd probably not recommend the Hef but would definitely recommend their IPA.

Last Friday - New Belgium Taproom at the Denver Airport (Luckily dinner was on the company!)

I enjoyed their Sour IPA so much that I bought a second! Perfect balance of the sour/bitter. Went very nicely with the chipotle chicken tacos.

That's the 3rd or 4th Sour from New Belgium that I have really enjoyed. They've moved up in my world.

Enough catching up on beer. I gotta go to work!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I should have done that, sorry. Looking forward to RJ’s side-by-side of those two.
    No need to be sorry; I'm grateful/lucky to have sampled both. Wonder where he got that idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I don't remember if I mentioned this or not - apparently this is the West Coast variant of their usual "Clever Girl". I thought I remembered liking this more the first time I had it. I must have had the original.

This one wasn't bad but definitely didn't live up to my memory.
    I figured out Clever Girl/West Coast Clever Girl after doing a bit of research (what a novel concept, a little research and then posting after some thought). The two Untappd entries appeared dissonant with what I was tasting and now it makes total sense. I'll guess you had the original.