Page 501 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 40145149149950050150250351155160110011501 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Tried Booneshine Honey Amber and their pale ale tonight.

Both really good!

For our next 10,000 posts we should all strive to visit/taste from some of the breweries on this list that we've not heard of before:

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/the-...ted-breweries/
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No review-just some comments.

I thought this might be appropriate for 10K:

One of my favorite versions of one of my favorite songs. After all, we've got 10,000 posts, we're all kinda/sorta maniacs and most beer is consumed at night, right?

I couldn't find this to drink and review as it was brewed in 2010 apparently and I didn't think to plan this far in advance.

Attachment 6612

So, many thanks to DevilAlumna for starting the thread almost 9 years ago. Also, many, many thanks to all the participants here, both inactive (please come back and taste/post again!) and active contributors who have traded/shared/given/hunted/purchased many (mostly) fine ales for me during this time and educated/entertained/enlightened me with their insightful/informed contributions to the thread.
    Great post for 10,000. How did you know that Natalie Merchant and that particular song was in my all time favorite list, also? Very appropriate considering you posted while we were drinking one of our all time favorite brews at the same time. Here's to the next 10,000. (And the fact that most of those posts will probably come from dd-----------and greatly appreciated by the way.)😂

ricks

Big Vic-Elevator Brewing

One block away from Wolf's Ridge so an easy stumble, err, stroll down 4th Street after our high gravity sampler.

I split a pint with our son as we were calling a halt to beer that day. Pour received with a small, foamy, creamy head and aromas of pine and resin, which appeared to be a majority theme for my IPA/IIPA day yesterday. Reasonable balance but still fairly hoppy at 80 IBUs and potent, too, at 8.6% ABV. Not a bad beer but it's a difficult, competitive field in the US with many breweries producing DIPAs.

Posted out of order because the prior 3 samples to this one completed our big beer tasting at Wolf Ridge and they need to be posted consecutively. You'll see/read/understand why when we return home tonight after our ~9 hour journey. And yes, I will be thirsty again after the trip .

Big Vic-Elevator Brewing

One block away from Wolf's Ridge so an easy stumble, err, stroll down 4th Street after our high gravity sampler.

I split a pint with our son as we were calling a halt to beer that day. Pour received with a small, foamy, creamy head and aromas of pine and resin, which appeared to be a majority theme for my IPA/IIPA day yesterday. Reasonable balance but still fairly hoppy at 80 IBUs and potent, too, at 8.6% ABV. Not a bad beer but it's a difficult, competitive field in the US with many breweries producing DIPAs.

Posted out of order because the prior 3 samples to this one completed our big beer tasting at Wolf Ridge and they need to be posted consecutively. You'll see/read/understand why when we return home tonight after our ~9 hour journey. And yes, I will be thirsty again after the trip .
    So delighted you made it to Elevator and Wolf's Ridge.

The former is one of the more seasoned craft brewers in Columbus, and the latter is one of the newer places in town. It's a father-son team that has putting out excellent beer and, dare I say it, better food. Here's hoping you had a great experience with both.

Hate that I missed you while you were in town. I'm currently flying somewhere over America and wishing I hadn't missed you.

Wicked Weed Coolcumber

The one time I tried Coolcumber previously, I remember it did not live up to the hype and expectations.

Second time is the charm.
    Refreshing, complex and a fine "beat the heat" beer.
    Lots of complexity from the mix of juniper, cucumber, and herbs.

Haven't dug through the thread, but a fun story in the WaPost on Asheville's beer scene.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    So delighted you made it to Elevator and Wolf's Ridge.

The former is one of the more seasoned craft brewers in Columbus, and the latter is one of the newer places in town. It's a father-son team that has putting out excellent beer and, dare I say it, better food. Here's hoping you had a great experience with both.

Hate that I missed you while you were in town. I'm currently flying somewhere over America and wishing I hadn't missed you.
    I liked the high gravity sampler that I shared with Matt at Wolf's Ridge and I thought the IIPA at Elevator was good but not outstanding. We'll have to re-visit Elevator and their restaurant/brewpub next time . When you're in town, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Haven't dug through the thread, but a fun story in the WaPost on Asheville's beer scene.

-jk
    Thanks for sharing. I'm sure our Ashevillians, ricks68, MtnDevil, mattman and graddevil, will enjoy (and apologies to anyone I overlooked/forgot from Beer City/Buncombe County, USA). If you get to Asheville, -jk, I'll happily volunteer one/all of them to take you on a pub crawl. Knowing your tastes, I'm sure they could find you a bourbon barrel-aged something or three.

-jk
    Not the most accurate article. The Wilkinson brothers mentioned in the article run Wicked Weed in name only, actually. The brains (and huge bucks) behind the operation is a guy named Rick Guthy, the neighbor and father of one of their best friends. Yep, that is the CEO of Guthy-Renker, which was founded by his brother Bill. I mean, like, why even buy a brewery like New Belgium when you can have more fun building your own. After about only 2 years of operation, they are expanding at a rate that should surpass every other operation in the very near future except the 3 nationals in the area. After that, Guthy will probably go after them next. It's what he does, and it's a piece of cake as far as he is concerned. Seems like a nice guy, too.

In addition, I don't think there is a comparison to be made between Sierra Nevada and other much smaller craft brewers in the area. The smaller locals have much better beers than does SN, even when you include SN's special brews. So, you can spend a buck or so less for SN 6-packs, or you can choose a much tastier local beer. No contest here. Fluff piece, IMHO, and pretty weird side issues regarding religion and prohibition thrown in that are not as well thought out as they could have been. Interesting read if you are not familiar with the brewery scene here, but certainly should be taken with a grain of salt------or a great local beer like Griddle (The renamed Piston from Burial Beer).

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Not the most accurate article. The Wilkinson brothers mentioned in the article run Wicked Weed in name only, actually. The brains (and huge bucks) behind the operation is a guy named Rick Guthy, the neighbor and father of one of their best friends. Yep, that is the CEO of Guthy-Renker, which was founded by his brother Bill. I mean, like, why even buy a brewery like New Belgium when you can have more fun building your own. After about only 2 years of operation, they are expanding at a rate that should surpass every other operation in the very near future except the 3 nationals in the area. After that, Guthy will probably go after them next. It's what he does, and it's a piece of cake as far as he is concerned. Seems like a nice guy, too.

In addition, I don't think there is a comparison to be made between Sierra Nevada and other much smaller craft brewers in the area. The smaller locals have much better beers than does SN, even when you include SN's special brews. So, you can spend a buck or so less for SN 6-packs, or you can choose a much tastier local beer. No contest here. Fluff piece, IMHO, and pretty weird side issues regarding religion and prohibition thrown in that are not as well thought out as they could have been. Interesting read if you are not familiar with the brewery scene here, but certainly should be taken with a grain of salt------or a great local beer like Griddle (The renamed Piston from Burial Beer).

ricks
    We'll be counting on a half a case or more of this delicacy at a tailgate this season...

Or, or, or, you don't get to carry your purse into and/or re-enter WW this season .

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure our Ashevillians, ricks68, MtnDevil, mattman and graddevil, will enjoy (and apologies to anyone I overlooked/forgot from Beer City/Buncombe County, USA). If you get to Asheville, -jk, I'll happily volunteer one/all of them to take you on a pub crawl. Knowing your tastes, I'm sure they could find you a bourbon barrel-aged something or three.
    Funny you should mention bourbon barrel-aged beer: a buddy of mine (and a couple of his friends) recently bought a full barrel of Four Roses. It came out to 180 bottles or so; I have one in my cabinet and can affirm that it's tasty!

He's loaned the barrel to 7 Locks in Rockville. They've promised him free drinks any time he visits...

-jk

Funny you should mention bourbon barrel-aged beer: a buddy of mine (and a couple of his friends) recently bought a full barrel of Four Roses. It came out to 180 bottles or so; I have one in my cabinet and can affirm that it's tasty!

He's loaned the barrel to 7 Locks in Rockville. They've promised him free drinks any time he visits...

-jk
    Awesome story. I know very little about bourbon except a couple makers from reading Top 25 lists. I'm also sure I couldn't tell whether a beer has been aged in Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Woodford or Pappy barrels.

(Hope your friend takes you with him some time...)

Mystery Brewing Papa Bois Citrus Foreign Extra Stout

I am always on the look-out for new products from Mystery, so I couldn't pass up this four-pack of 16-ounce cans when I saw it in my local Harris Teeter the other day. "Foreign Extra Stout" is a new term to me, so I was interested to learn from the Mystery website that it refers to a type of stout brewed in the Caribbean. Mystery then adds lemon and lemongrass to the brewing process, making this very dark beer amazingly refreshing rather than "heavy." At 7.3% ABV, is certainly no lightweight, but the tropical/citrus flavors are really well balanced here. With an IBU of 40, the bitterness seems low for the style, but overall it works. Another very interesting offering from Hillsborough's finest . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

(Hope your friend takes you with him some time...)
    Me, too!

-jk

Was very fortunate to play in the Donny G Memorial tournament at Preston today.

One of the sponsor was Bombshell.
    Never spent much time with Bombshell, have to say all around top notch.

If you live in the Triangle area and like to play best ball golf would love to see you in the second annual Donny G tournament!

Dire Wolf (draft)-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Their "base" imperial stout (you'll read why with reviews 2 and 3 ). Black as night, viscous as Valvoline, dark chocolate-y as Ghiradelli with a splash of espresso. I'll guess 60 IBUs with an ABV of 10.4%

Their "base" imperial stout (you'll read why with reviews 2 and 3 ). Black as night, viscous as Valvoline, dark chocolate-y as Ghiradelli with a splash of espresso. I'll guess 60 IBUs with an ABV of 10.4%

Dire Wolf One Line (draft)-Wolf's Ridge

The coffee infused version. Same as above with a very generous infusion of local espresso, but I can't remember which roaster our server named. The "base" version had no adjuncts. This variation was loaded with rich, dark roast coffee flavors. Same stats. Decadent.

AMB (Appalachian Mountain Brewery) long leaf IPA

A dangerous beer to have when you've already had too much.
    Easy to drink, fun beer.

Dire Wolf One Line (draft)-Wolf's Ridge

The coffee infused version. Same as above with a very generous infusion of local espresso, but I can't remember which roaster our server named. The "base" version had no adjuncts. This variation was loaded with rich, dark roast coffee flavors. Same stats. Decadent.
    Coffee Vanilla Dire Wolf (draft)-Wolf's Ridge

I am very fortunate to have shared this 5 beer sampler with our son (which included the 2 high octane DIPAs reviewed Saturday). Somewhat surprisingly (and thankfully), the coffee in this version didn't overwhelm the vanilla, which was quite prominent. Same stats. Beyond decadent. I liked this offering better, but not by much, and our son liked the One Line variant better, but they were both amazing. Now for that BBA version...