Page 947 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 447847897937945946947948949957997104714471947 ... LastLast
Results 18,921 to 18,940 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/best-irish-beers

If you are looking to shake it up to something other than Guinness, Bass, Harp or Jameson’s on St. Patrick’s Day, above are some ideas.

I’ve tried none of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/best-irish-beers

If you are looking to shake it up to something other than Guinness, Bass, Harp or Jameson’s on St. Patrick’s Day, above are some ideas.

I’ve tried none of them.
    Zero for me, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Finishing a pint can of a 12% imperial stout now. Not sure I'll make it to midnight.

American Beauty-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Bottled on 01/02/2019 2243

From their website:

"There was something different about a Grateful Dead show. Whether you saw one or 100, you felt it, but you knew it wouldn't last forever. If only you could have bottled it...

American Beauty, a pale ale inspired by the Grateful Dead, captures the spirit of the band's 30 years of touring and recording. Dogfish Head and the Dead both built their followings by connecting directly with beer lovers and music lovers, so when we first started this collaboration (back in 2013), we asked those loyal fans to help drive the recipe.

After receiving more than 1,500 ingredient suggestions, granola was tops. It was the main course in millions of parking lot meals and is a sweet and toasty complement to the barley, succulent wildflower honey and all-American hops.

Now in 2019 - and after three previous 750 mL releases - we're getting the band back together, releasing American Beauty in 12 oz. 6-packs for the first time ever! And we promise, once you taste it ... there's nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Thought all the Dead fans who might read this thread would appreciate this beer/review.

An aggressive pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass revealed an amber-bronze elixir with a foamy, off-white head. This stuff really smelled like a bowl of cereal with lots of toasted grains and some sweetness. First tastes were toasted grains/bread drizzled with honey and light brown sugar. Hints of orange zest and some piney yet citrusy flavors were also present with very mild bitterness. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 6.5%, both a bit "high" for the style. I bought 3 of these last month at about $1.75 each, two of which went to children. I'd certainly buy this again and pair with cold cut/deli sammiches or grilled/cook-out fare. A very easy-to-drink brew.

Querido Y Perdido-Casita Cerveceria

"Canned on
    09/26/2018 1310

Almost local!

The beer referenced during the wee hours in the post-game thread.

Printed on the pint can's label:

"This beer is dedicated to those we have loved and lost and the ones who have survived for whom life will never be the same. A portion from the proceeds of the sale of this beer will be dedicated to Breast Cancer Research Foundation."

IIRC, the owner's/brewer's wife is a breast cancer survivor.

I purchased 3 of these last month for about $5 each after my 15% case discount. It's an imperial stout brewed with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, vanilla and chilies () so I had some early misgivings but last PM's pouring was a highly satisfactory experience, especially when combined with the Duke victory over the cheats, too.

Appearance after an aggressive pour in two equal/consecutive portions into a thick snifter was dark, dark brown with a generous, persistent tan head. Coffee (not added) and baker's chocolate were the early scents, followed by spices and grilled/blackened peppers. Tasting impressions were semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and cinnamon which masked the mild warmth at the end that increased a bit as each 8 ounce portion warmed to near cellar temperature. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the style; heavily roasted grains, not hop bitterness. The ABV was 12% and, after an hour of sipping and savoring, became rather evident. It'd be an interesting side-by-side with (small portions ) Stone's Xocoveza, Wolf Ridge's Canis Mexicanus and AMB's Edge of a Dream. Highly recommended as another outstanding product of this relatively small, new-ish brewery in downeast NC.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Querido Y Perdido-Casita Cerveceria

"Canned on
    09/26/2018 1310

Almost local!

The beer referenced during the wee hours in the post-game thread.

Printed on the pint can's label:

"This beer is dedicated to those we have loved and lost and the ones who have survived for whom life will never be the same. A portion from the proceeds of the sale of this beer will be dedicated to Breast Cancer Research Foundation."

IIRC, the owner's/brewer's wife is a breast cancer survivor.

I purchased 3 of these last month for about $5 each after my 15% case discount. It's an imperial stout brewed with cinnamon, cocoa nibs, vanilla and chilies () so I had some early misgivings but last PM's pouring was a highly satisfactory experience, especially when combined with the Duke victory over the cheats, too.

Appearance after an aggressive pour in two equal/consecutive portions into a thick snifter was dark, dark brown with a generous, persistent tan head. Coffee (not added) and baker's chocolate were the early scents, followed by spices and grilled/blackened peppers. Tasting impressions were semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, and cinnamon which masked the mild warmth at the end that increased a bit as each 8 ounce portion warmed to near cellar temperature. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the style; heavily roasted grains, not hop bitterness. The ABV was 12% and, after an hour of sipping and savoring, became rather evident. It'd be an interesting side-by-side with (small portions ) Stone's Xocoveza, Wolf Ridge's Canis Mexicanus and AMB's Edge of a Dream. Highly recommended as another outstanding product of this relatively small, new-ish brewery in downeast NC.
    This review stirred several thoughts that are only somewhat beer related. Still I must pass time before the game tonight so here I go.

1. I suppose I can call myself a a cancer survivor even though I never felt really threatened. Three years ago I got a cancer diagnosis that almost everyone with a Y chromosome will have to deal with eventually. I followed the advice of my doctors and I no longer have cancer. If I had done nothing the odds are that something else would eventually kill me before the cancer got me.

2. I am envious of those who can write reviews like the one above particularly the bolded portion. Several years ago I noticed that my smeller didn't seem to be working with full efficiency. I took an official medical smell test (40 scratch and sniff smells with multiple choice answers) and the analysis came back indicating my nose was working at about 25% of normal. Two friends were with me and were amused in particular by one of the scratch offs where I had guessed b. motor oil when it was in fact c. root beer. In any event I am at the point where I don't get subtle fragrances, particularly floral/fruity. I find myself gravitating to porters and stouts because all I get from lighter brews is hoppy bitterness. BTW, my doctor began his explanation of my smell situation with the phrase, "Camion, when you reach a certain age..." I'm getting that preface more and more often these days.

3. Now for the thing that was my original impetus for posting this note. I had the thought that it would be interesting to match the bball players with an appropriate beer, not one that they would necessarily choose, one that would fit their image. It was just a thought and I will leave to you (plural) to pursue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This review stirred several thoughts that are only somewhat beer related. Still I must pass time before the game tonight so here I go.

1. I suppose I can call myself a a cancer survivor even though I never felt really threatened. Three years ago I got a cancer diagnosis that almost everyone with a Y chromosome will have to deal with eventually. I followed the advice of my doctors and I no longer have cancer. If I had done nothing the odds are that something else would eventually kill me before the cancer got me.

2. I am envious of those who can write reviews like the one above particularly the bolded portion. Several years ago I noticed that my smeller didn't seem to be working with full efficiency. I took an official medical smell test (40 scratch and sniff smells with multiple choice answers) and the analysis came back indicating my nose was working at about 25% of normal. Two friends were with me and were amused in particular by one of the scratch offs where I had guessed b. motor oil when it was in fact c. root beer. In any event I am at the point where I don't get subtle fragrances, particularly floral/fruity. I find myself gravitating to porters and stouts because all I get from lighter brews is hoppy bitterness. BTW, my doctor began his explanation of my smell situation with the phrase, "Camion, when you reach a certain age..." I'm getting that preface more and more often these days.

3. Now for the thing that was my original impetus for posting this note. I had the thought that it would be interesting to match the bball players with an appropriate beer, not one that they would necessarily choose, one that would fit their image. It was just a thought and I will leave to you (plural) to pursue or not.
    First, thanks for sharing.
    Assuming prostate cancer, I’d be curious if you have any specifics to share on what worked for you beyond prescription meds/surgery.

Second, what a great idea. Contemplating now.

First, thanks for sharing.
    Assuming prostate cancer, I’d be curious if you have any specifics to share on what worked for you beyond prescription meds/surgery.

Second, what a great idea. Contemplating now.
    Yes. Early stage prostate cancer. The recommendation was surgery (RALP) which is what I did. They poked one large and 5 small holes in my abdomen for the procedure. Since it was early stage I had no radiation/chemo afterward and two years post-op I still have no detectable PSA. One thing I did three months before the surgery was begin a serious exercise program so I was in pretty good condition when I went under the knives. I believe that helped my recovery a good deal.

Oh, the first beer I had after the experience was a Highland Oatmeal Porter.

Yes. Early stage prostate cancer. The recommendation was surgery (RALP) which is what I did. They poked one large and 5 small holes in my abdomen for the procedure. Since it was early stage I had no radiation/chemo afterward and two years post-op I still have no detectable PSA. One thing I did three months before the surgery was begin a serious exercise program so I was in pretty good condition when I went under the knives. I believe that helped my recovery a good deal.

Oh, the first beer I had after the experience was a Highland Oatmeal Porter.
    Bringing back a flood of memories, because that was my basic regimen beginning almost 10 years ago for the same malady.

Zion = Revision’s Hangry TIPA. Big, beastly and more hops than anyone can handle.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Ok, here’s my shot:

Zion Williamson - so difficult. Perhaps Goliath?

Cam Reddish - Troeg’s Nugget Nectar. Great when its available.

Tre Jones - Surly Hell Lager. For the defensive prowess he exerts against opponents. For them, its a hellish game. (GTHC!)

RJ Barrett - Peche Mortel. A smooth, amazing Canadian Imperial stout that will take your breath away.

Javin DeLaurier - Devil’s Backbone Vienna Lager. Always excellent although sometimes you hope for more.

Joey Baker - The Unknown Brewing Company Pre Game. Perhaps the less said, the better other than I expect the best is yet to come.

Jordan Goldwire - Yazoo Sue. An awesome beer from an unexpected source.

Alex O’Connell - Creature Comforts Reclaimed Rye. Will the son’s career eclipse the father’s?

Marques Bolden - Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin. Smooth, versatile.

Antonio Vrankovic - Zmaskjo Pale Ale. A Croatian craft brew for the big guy from Croatia.

Jack White - Sorry, Jack. Gonna go with the Foster’s Oil Can. Really tasty in the right moments.

Justin Robinson - Shiner Bock. Suffers from high expectations.

Mike Buckmire - Yuengling lager. Always going to be there for you.

Brennan Besser - Going to go with Miller Lite. Given his cross country trip for charity, you need something available across the country.

I am sure I could have a lot (more) fun with this. Thanks again for a great idea!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

I haven't looked for any other responses to this yet so I'll start or jump in the line:

Tyus and Tre don't get their own beers as they get an entire brewery: Stones Brewing

Ok, here’s my shot:

Tre Jones - Surly Hell Lager. For the defensive prowess he exerts against opponents. For them, its a hellish game. (GTHC!)

RJ Barrett - Peche Mortel. A smooth, amazing Canadian Imperial stout that will take your breath away.

Javin DeLaurier - Devil’s Backbone Vienna Lager. Always excellent although sometimes you hope for more.

Joey Baker - The Unknown Brewing Company Pre Game. Perhaps the less said, the better other than I expect the best is yet to come.

Alex O’Connell - Creature Comforts Reclaimed Rye. Will the son’s career eclipse the father’s?

Antonio Vrankovic - Zmaskjo Pale Ale. A Croatian craft brew for the big guy from Croatia.

Jack White - Sorry, Jack. Gonna go with the Foster’s Oil Can. Really tasty in the right moments.

Brennan Besser - Going to go with Miller Lite. Given his cross country trip for charity, you need something available across the country.

I am sure I could have a lot (more) fun with this. Thanks again for a great idea!
    After this gem, I'm not even going to try any more. You win. Fabulous list!

Wow! And thanks.

I’m not surprised by that great list only because I already knew to expect something impressive from previous posts I’ve read here.

This was also a great distraction to keep me feom obsessing too much on the game.

I should be thanking camion for a fun thought exercise that took most of the hour before the game.

Did my best on a home state / country brewery approach. Wish I could say I’ve sampled all my selections. 🍻

Ok, here’s my shot:

And the coaches? Nate some strong thing that'll knock you on your ...

Coach K would be a wine from a not-snobby maker that is truly amazing when you consider it and that grows more complex as it ages, but which folks unfairly criticize?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Coach K would be a wine from a not-snobby maker that is truly amazing when you consider it and that grows more complex as it ages, but which folks unfairly criticize?
    Interesting. I was wondering what beverage might reflect K's Karacter. It's got to age well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post

Opposing teams would say Old Rasputin.

Thinking on Zion again, he probably ought to be a Westbrook offering of some sort, but I find that insufficient.

Zion is probably Brew Dog’s The End of History.

The coaching staff presents some other challenges to consider.

Nate James- what is the most badass beer?

Carrawell - certainly a beer from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis

Scheyer- perhaps something from Chicago, or a beer that riffs on eye injury shortened career.

Nolan- a beer that everybody loves. That’s a tall task. Maybe something from Dogfish Head.

Opposing teams would say Old Rasputin.

Thinking on Zion again, he probably ought to be a Westbrook offering of some sort, but I find that insufficient.

Zion is probably Brew Dog’s The End of History.

The coaching staff presents some other challenges to consider.

Nate James- what is the most badass beer?

Carrawell - certainly a beer from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis

Scheyer- perhaps something from Chicago, or a beer that riffs on eye injury shortened career.

Nolan- a beer that everybody loves. That’s a tall task. Maybe something from Dogfish Head.
    Scheyer is that Triple C mango wheat I had the other night: Pedestrian on paper, but then it plays and you say, “Damn. That’s awesome.”
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Scheyer is that Triple C mango wheat I had the other night: Pedestrian on paper, but then it plays and you say, “Damn. That’s awesome.”
    I like it! Well played 🍻

I should be thanking camion for a fun thought exercise that took most of the hour before the game.

Did my best on a home state / country brewery approach. Wish I could say I’ve sampled all my selections. 🍻
    Next month's to-do list?