Page 1219 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 219719111911691209121712181219122012211229126913191719 ... LastLast
Results 24,361 to 24,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From 7/27/15 and 9/27/15:

Been a while since I had a Delirium Red and, after digging deep in the crazietalk Ymm, Beer archives, I see now why it hasn't re-appeared on my tasting list. I guess I'd have rated it a bit above RJ199's review but that was before we had the fuse Ymm, Beer rating scale . Sounds like it would have been low cat 2 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    IIRC (and there's always a first time), this is the one I thought tasted quite a bit like Robitussin.
    From post #24352 above:

"...couple tablespoons of Robitussin CF..."

Great minds/palates and all that stuff.

That's why this thread is so entertaining/informative to read. Looks like no one here really liked Delirium Red.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I’m sure I’ve reviewed this before, but all the JackieO’s are blurring together. Today’s was Oro Negro. Imperial stout brewed with walnuts and conditioned on spices. 10% abv. It is a variation of their Oil of Aphrodite, infused with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and habaneros. This is an excellent stout, cinnamon up front, heat on the finish. But not too much heat. Not sure what the walnuts do, don’t get them.

Not for everyone, especially if you don’t like heat in your beer, but I enjoy it. Not an everyday beer, strong category 2, cat 3 for me since I enjoy the heat.
    Last edited by accfanfrom1970; 02-17-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’m sure I’ve reviewed this before, but all the JackieO’s are blurring together. Today’s was Oro Negro. Imperial stout brewed with walnuts and conditioned on spices. 10% abv. It is a variation of their Oil of Aphrodite, infused with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and habaneros. This is an excellent stout, cinnamon up front, heat on the finish. But not too much heat. Not sure what the walnuts do, don’t get them.

Not for everyone, especially if you don’t like heat in your beer, but I enjoy it. Not an everyday beer, strong category 2, cat 3 for me since I enjoy the heat.
    Doesn't sound familiar but we have a lot of beer posts on this thread (). When we got your Skipping Stone late last year (yea, they're still safe/intact), the draft list included Oro Negro and our younger son-in-law drooled about it. I was driving after our meal that night and had a small sampler of flagship beers and sadly passed on Oro Negro.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Jackie O’s Oro Negro

A stout with cacoa nibs, vanilla beans, habaneros, and cinnamon sticks.

Rich, thin head.

Nose is vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon and (gulp) a bit of heat.

Mouthfeel is dense and creamy.

Chocolate is the lead note, followed by cinnamon, with a bitter heat finish.

The beer evokes the memory of DFH Theobroma.

A delicious beer, with the only minor mark against it being the heated finish.
    Works for this beer well, and yet I’d be ok without it.

I can see why others think so highly of Jackie O’s.

Cheers! 🍻
    I thought this sounded familiar, accfanfrom1970.

I thought this sounded familiar, accfanfrom1970.

I'm beginning to think it's the age *and* the mileage.

Still not as good a beer name as Gates of S'Mordor but clever (strange?) nonetheless:

Banana In the Tailpipe-Sour- Berliner Weisse

• 5% ABV

• Hidden Springs

• Tampa, FL

There are a lot of good breweries in Wilmington, NC:

https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/breweries/

There are a lot of good breweries in Wilmington, NC:

https://www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com/breweries/
    Was there a few weeks ago. Flytrap had some excellent pale ales and IPAs with floral accents. Was very impressed.

Rye Whangdoodle from Veil. Their sweet imperial chocolate milk stout aged in Buffalo Trace Rye barrels for 14 months. And, before they used the barrels for the stout they aged wild Virginia honey in them for 4 months. So somewhere out there is rye barrel aged honey.

This is my second Whangdoodle, first was BBA. This is definitely different, you can taste the difference between the rye and the bourbon. It is sweet and chocolately and the rye gives it some boozy spice. Pours black no foam. 11.5% so it’s a delicious sipping desert.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Rye Whangdoodle from Veil. Their sweet imperial chocolate milk stout aged in Buffalo Trace Rye barrels for 14 months. And, before they used the barrels for the stout they aged wild Virginia honey in them for 4 months. So somewhere out there is rye barrel aged honey.

This is my second Whangdoodle, first was BBA. This is definitely different, you can taste the difference between the rye and the bourbon. It is sweet and chocolately and the rye gives it some boozy spice. Pours black no foam. 11.5% so it’s a delicious sipping desert.
    Roald Dahl is one of my literary heroes. Makes me smile every time someone pays tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Was there a few weeks ago. Flytrap had some excellent pale ales and IPAs with floral accents. Was very impressed.
    Flytrap was our first stop several years ago on a beer crawl with our older son-in-law. Both of us liked Flytrap a lot, found Ironclad pretty mediocre and Waterline very good, too, even though I think it was opening week/weekend for them. IIRC, I thought Flytrap put an emphasis on Belgian-style ales.

Inventory continues to slowly disappear...

Alarm must have been set...

A lot of the usual suspects, and yet not one brewery in NC.

https://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbes...rewers-top-100

A lot of the usual suspects, and yet not one brewery in NC.

https://www.ratebeer.com/ratebeerbes...rewers-top-100
    Check #46 (for 50% credit) and #76, even though we've "disowned" them.

Javafruitcake-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Sadly, it's not Christmas any more.

Happily, I still got to celebrate with my last member of this 4 pack.

Oh, still so tasty. I could go stand under some mistletoe.

The Mad Elf-Troegs Independent Brewing

Appears to have calmed down a bit since the Christmas holiday season; pretty much had to as he was the only one left in the storage center.

The Mad Elf-Troegs Independent Brewing

Appears to have calmed down a bit since the Christmas holiday season; pretty much had to as he was the only one left in the storage center.
    I’ve bought one six pack of Mad Elf in my life. Maybe like 7 years ago. I found it overwhelmingly boozy and never felt like buying it again. Any reason I should give it another shot? (not this year of course)

Speaking of Troegs, Nugget Nectar was probably one of the first true “craft” beers I ever had. Haven’t had that one in a while. May need to grab some as a throwback to old times

Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post
    I’ve bought one six pack of Mad Elf in my life. Maybe like 7 years ago. I found it overwhelmingly boozy and never felt like buying it again. Any reason I should give it another shot? (not this year of course)

Speaking of Troegs, Nugget Nectar was probably one of the first true “craft” beers I ever had. Haven’t had that one in a while. May need to grab some as a throwback to old times
    Mad Elf is very boozy cherry. Some craft stores will still have it in stock if you are curious.
    I like Mad Elf quite a bit, and I can also see how the flavour is polarizing.

As for Nugget Nectar, my memories of it are big boozy old school IPA. Really tasty, a great beer.

Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post

I buy a 6er of it about every other year, usually making several bottles stocking stuffers and/or traders and keeping 3 for myself. You are correct about the booziness (IBUs are only about 15 and the ABV is 11% so it's quite "unbalanced") and it reminds me of kirschwasser. I don't think the recipe has changed much, if any, but fuse really liked the Grand Cru version but not sure he'd buy again as it was 4-6x the cost of the regular offering.